IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , Sweden incidents , Sweden issues

Old 14th June 2021, 01:27 AM   #521
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
The 'compromise' is that passengers on trains in Denmark will now only have to wear face masks as long as they are standing, which seems to be reminiscent of a time when nobody knew about aerosol spread. So I guess the sign on the trains between Denmark and Sweden will now disappear. And Swedish media will probably say that it means that Denmark has now been convinced that the Swedish strategy is superior, much like last year when countries started reopening after having hammered down the rate of infection with lockdowns.
"Sneeze in the armpit" LOL

https://twitter.com/mask_up_sweden/s...818892802?s=20

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2021, 02:43 AM   #522
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, that's a good one.
Too bad you don't understand Swedish.
Folksagomyndigheten (The Fairy Tale Agency), the parody of Folkhälsomyndigheten (The Public Health Agency), is still growing strong.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2021, 02:48 AM   #523
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if the Swedish health-care system could be sued for not having people mask up.

Quote:
* About 100 reports have been filed seeking compensation from people or their close relatives who were infected with Covid-19 in a healthcare setting.
* Compensation can be paid out if the virus was transmitted as a result of the care and treatment a patient received. It covers things like lost income or damages.
* Another 100 were filed seeking compensation for care delayed by the pandemic.
Hundreds seek compensation over catching Covid via healthcare (RadioSweden, June 14, 2021)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2021, 09:14 PM   #524
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Monday:
Coronavirus - countries (Worldometers, June 14, 2021)
Deaths per million (Total deaths) New cases Serious/Critical
Sweden: 1,433 (14,574) *727 118 *according to SVT.se New numbers on ??? The Public Health Agency in Sweden still has security-related problems with their data.
Denmark: 435 (2,526) 237* 20 *of 67,596 tests (0.35%); Fully vacc. 1,501,788 (25.73% of pop.), 1st dose: 2,725,559 (46.69%).
Finland: 174 (964) 29 9
Norway: 144 (789) 195 10
Iceland: 87 (30) 5 1 - Slow border rule changes advised
Iceland has 33 active cases, Faroe Islands 29, New Zealand 27
The Faroe Islands have 157 in quarantine , 0 hospitalized
Old 14th June 2021, 10:24 PM   #525
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I guess this was very touching.
I never watch football/soccer, so I didn't even know about it till the next day:
Finnish fans chanting "Christian", Danish responds "Eriksen". (June 12, 2021)

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I just don't think games like these are a very good idea at this point when too many are still unvaccinated.
Traveling to and from will probably spread more virus than the hours spent at the stadion.
Old 15th June 2021, 12:22 AM   #526
dann
Penultimate Amazing

And speaking of football/soccer:
Quote:
Sweden - Face masks 1 - 0
MaskUpSweden on Twitter (June 14, 2021)
Old 15th June 2021, 12:32 AM   #527
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I guess this was very touching.
I never watch football/soccer, so I didn't even know about it till the next day:
Finnish fans chanting "Christian", Danish responds "Eriksen". (June 12, 2021)

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I just don't think games like these are a very good idea at this point when too many are still unvaccinated.
Traveling to and from will probably spread more virus than the hours spent at the stadion.
I had tickets for the Russia - Finland game on Wednesday (St Petersburg) - which I sadly had to cancel due to travel restrictions and in any case, wouldn't have felt safe in Russia with Covid19 not really under control.

Yes, everybody was distraught at the Eriksen incident. It was the Finnish fans who provided the flags that helped preserve his privacy as he was carried out. Several of the Finnish players play in Danish teams and one or two have strong links with Brondby, who won the Danish league or whatever, so they were pretty cut up as well. Once they knew he was breathing all right they agree to resume play rather than leaving it until 12:00 the next day. I think Denmark were fully expecting a straightforward win. However, since they actually lost, they are now regretting carrying on!

Yes, the situation in Sweden is horrendous and it is just as well the nordic countries are in separate group tables as I'd hate to be in the same group as Sweden, given their infection levels. I saw from a newspaper article that the Delta variant appears to be spreading there rapidly.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2021, 10:02 AM   #528
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Monday:
Coronavirus - countries (Worldometers, June 14, 2021)
Sweden: 1,433 (14,574) *727 118 *according to SVT.se New numbers on ??? The Public Health Agency in Sweden still has security-related problems with their data.

Tegnell: Stängda smittdatabasen påverkar inte restriktioner (DagensNyheter.se, June 15, 2021)
Tegnell: The closed database with information about infections will not affect restrictions
This is no surprise. Sweden is easing restrictions at a time when nobody seems to know how widespread the variants are in Sweden.

Quote:
* The Public Health Agency has closed its database for reporting infectious diseases again citing security fears.
* This means people cannot report new cases of diseases or collate and analyse figures for how the pandemic is progressing in Sweden.
* The SmiNet system was initially closed for two days in late May after the agency said it discovered several attempts to hack into it.
Health Agency takes infections database offline again (RadioSweden, June 15, 2021)

Quote:
* Norway eased some travel restrictions on Friday, allowing citizens who are fully vaccinated - or who have recovered from Covid-19 in the last six months - to go to Sweden without having to quarantine upon their return.
* Queues by the border crossing at Svinesund were at times several hours long.
"We are very happy to see the borders slowly opening up again," said Ole Jørgen Lind, a grocery store manager not far from the Norwegian border.
Stores greet Norway's vaccinated shoppers after restrictions are eased (RadioSweden, June 14, 2021)
Old 15th June 2021, 10:18 AM   #529
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I think Denmark were fully expecting a straightforward win.

I am not a soccer fan, so I wouldn't know, but the crown prince thought so:
'2-0 eller 3-0': Kronprinsen tror på dansk sejr over Finland (DR.dk, June 12, 2021)
'2-0 or 3-0': The crown prince believes in Danish victory over Finland
It's probably for the best that the royal family aren't in charge of anything of importance ...

Quote:
Yes, the situation in Sweden is horrendous and it is just as well the nordic countries are in separate group tables as I'd hate to be in the same group as Sweden, given their infection levels. I saw from a newspaper article that the Delta variant appears to be spreading there rapidly.

The main problem is that nobody seems to have a clue. On Thursday it was reported that Sweden had 71 confirmed cases of Delta. On Friday, more than 200 cases were reported in the region of Värmland alone. It isn't even clear how many percent of the positive cases are gene-sequenced. At one point, they seemed to be aiming at getting 10 percent of the samples gene-sequence analyzed, but I doubt that they ever got there.
Old 15th June 2021, 09:10 PM   #530
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Tuesday:
Coronavirus - countries (Worldometers, June 15, 2021)
Denmark: 435 (2,527) 222* 19 *of 81,080 tests (0.27%); Fully vacc. 1,523,596 (26.10% of pop.), 1st dose: 2,777,818 (47.59%).
Finland: 174 (964) 73 9
Norway: 144 (789) 222 10
Iceland: 87 (30) 1 1 - No more daily COVID data and no more press briefings, One-metre rule and up to 300 people from today
Iceland has 30 active cases, Faroe Islands 28, New Zealand 23
The Faroe Islands have 78 in quarantine , 0 hospitalized - One new Covid case since Saturday

Iceland:
Quote:
new numbers will only be updated on Mondays and Wednesdays for the rest of this month. And only on Mondays from July, if the infection rate continues to drop.
+
Quote:
Half of all tourists in Iceland this May were American. No other nation came close in terms of visitor numbers. Iceland has once again become popular with American visitors since it started waiving quarantine requirements for vaccinated travellers.
Tourist card spending doubles in one month (RUV.is, June 15, 2021)
A lot of fully vaccinated U.S. volcano fans, I guess.
Old 16th June 2021, 01:49 AM   #531
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Finland are now easing restrictions as from Wednesday - whew! just in time for the big Midsummer festivities - it has had just under 1,000 deaths and current infection rates are just 100 a day. As a caveat, these are just the people who go for testing, although they are doing some random tests on people who turn up for vaccinations.

As another interesting comparison and contrast to Sweden, a Finnish reporter, Harri Ahola, has been in Russia reporting on various sports events and he is shocked at how lax the Russians are with regard to Covid19:

Quote:
I have now been in Russia for just over a week writing about the European Championships. And I can tell you that the attitude towards the corona is quite different here than in Finland.

Already at St. Petersburg airport, he noticed that the masks are also within the nearness of sight of the authorities. The locals almost never cover their noses, often they don’t even mouth.
He goes on to say that he estimates just five people out of 100 seem to wear a mask correctly.

Quote:
In Southwest Finland , the corona restrictions will be reached from today, but in Russia the situation is quite different.

The credibility of the official figures is questionable, but with corona cases breaking records, they say it can be concluded that things are bad.

The worst situation is officially in Moscow, but even in St. Petersburg, the worst readings for three months were recorded on Wednesday. A German ARD reporter dropped 14 ambulances from the yard of the local hospital, where corona patients were waiting for access to treatment.

This week, regulations on the number of spectators at cultural events, for example, have been cautiously tightened, but the authorities have not taken much action. This may be due to the fact that previous closures proved to be very unpopular.

Indeed, Russia has failed to communicate its corona strategy. First, the disease was branded a foreign problem that does not affect Russia. The non-existent restrictions were quickly brought to a standstill in the spring of 2020, but then a referendum to amend the constitution blessing the continuation of President Vladimir Putin's reign was still to be held.

After confusing communications, attempts were made to get citizens vaccinated, but even about one peak of Sputnik’s native country has been taken by only about 12 percent of citizens. Distrust of it is great, even though the launch of vaccinations was among the first in the world was a matter of great pride for the Russian leadership.

Indifference to the corona situation is evident everywhere. On Saturday, I traveled by subway to a match between Russia and Belgium. There, masks were seen by an estimated one in ten passengers, and the busiest flights should not be used, as no one takes care of the safety gaps. After the game, waiting an hour in the park next to the stadium already provided such a loose carriage that even the drunken vomit of the nearest fellow passenger did not reach my shoes.
TS - google translate

So IMV if any footie fan is travelling to see certain teams, such as Sweden or Russia - or even England - be careful! I expect covid cases will rise after the Euro2020 (/2021) event.

Old 16th June 2021, 01:57 AM   #532
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, that's a good one.
Too bad you don't understand Swedish.
Folksagomyndigheten (The Fairy Tale Agency), the parody of Folkhälsomyndigheten (The Public Health Agency), is still growing strong.
I did do a basic course in Swedish. However, as I already 'speak'(=read) four languages, too lazy to learn another, plus my family never liked the Swedes (intense rivalry rather than hatred <g>). However, I can generally make out the meaning, so this twitter account does conveys its message.

Old 16th June 2021, 03:07 AM   #533
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Watching the Hungary v Portugal game yesterday with a capacity, mostly mask-less, crowd, I think it's safe to say the Hungarian authorities have also adopted a "Zero F's given"-approach to even attempting to limit the spread.

Last edited by KDLarsen; 16th June 2021 at 03:09 AM.
KDLarsen is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2021, 06:21 AM   #534
dann
Penultimate Amazing

As another interesting comparison and contrast to Sweden, a Finnish reporter, Harri Ahola, has been in Russia reporting on various sports events and he is shocked at how lax the Russians are with regard to Covid19:

He goes on to say that he estimates just five people out of 100 seem to wear a mask correctly.

TS - google translate

So IMV if any footie fan is travelling to see certain teams, such as Sweden or Russia - or even England - be careful! I expect covid cases will rise after the Euro2020 (/2021) event.
Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
Watching the Hungary v Portugal game yesterday with a capacity, mostly mask-less, crowd, I think it's safe to say the Hungarian authorities have also adopted a "Zero F's given"-approach to even attempting to limit the spread.

I'm so uninterested in soccer that I probably wouldn't have known that one Danish soccer player is called Eriksen if it weren't for the reporting about his heart attack this weekend, and I am probably all alone in this, but I really hope that Denmark is defeated soon, so we'll see no more (or at least fewer) Danish players and fans traveling to these event.
Not that I think that it's a good idea for other countries to do so instead ...
Old 16th June 2021, 10:49 PM   #535
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Wednesday:
Coronavirus - countries (Worldometers, June 16, 2021)
Sweden: 1,433 (14,574) *727 118 *according to SVT.se New numbers expected on Thursday, June 17.
Denmark: 435 (2,527) 353* 20 *of 95,770 tests (0.37%); Fully vacc. 1,542,215 (26.42% of pop.), 1st dose: 2,838,236 (48.62%).
Finland: 174 (967) 103 12
Norway: 145 (790) 180 10
Iceland: 87 (30) 0 1 - Two COVID cases and everyone invited for vaccine
Iceland has 30 active cases, Faroe Islands 17, New Zealand 24
The Faroe Islands have 55 in quarantine , 0 hospitalized
Old 17th June 2021, 06:58 AM   #536
dann
Penultimate Amazing

The Swedish information about the pandemic appears to have gone completely Clutch Cargo:
Quote:
Smittade 1 084 636 (infected)
Döda 14 574 (deaths)
Nya smittade 0 (new cases)
Nya dödsfall 0 (new deaths)
Senaste nytt om coronaviruset (Aftonbladet.se, June 17, 2021)
At the press briefing this afternoon, it became clear that Sweden still has not reached its alleged goal of gene-sequencing 10 percent of its positive cases, but Tegnell wouldn't say how close or far from the 10 percent they were.
Old 17th June 2021, 10:01 PM   #537
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Thursday:
Coronavirus - countries (Worldometers, June 17, 2021)
Sweden: 1,433 (14,574) *727 118 *according to SVT.se The Swedish Public Health Agency's data base still closed.
Denmark: 435 (2,528) 331* 19 *of 92,855 tests (0.36%); Fully vacc. 1,570,558 (26.91% of pop.), 1st dose: 2,894,578 (49.59%).
Finland: 174 (967) 55 12
Norway: 145 (790) 219 10
Iceland: 87 (30) 0 1 - Two COVID cases, and everyone invited for vaccines
Iceland has 30 active cases, Faroe Islands 17, New Zealand 23
The Faroe Islands have 46 in quarantine , 0 hospitalized - One new Covid case
Old 17th June 2021, 10:40 PM   #538
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I'm so uninterested in soccer that I probably wouldn't have known that one Danish soccer player is called Eriksen if it weren't for the reporting about his heart attack this weekend, and I am probably all alone in this, but I really hope that Denmark is defeated soon, so we'll see no more (or at least fewer) Danish players and fans traveling to these event.
Not that I think that it's a good idea for other countries to do so instead ...
Me, too. Me, too. (But against Russia? Maybe that is going too far.)

Old 18th June 2021, 09:46 AM   #539
dann
Penultimate Amazing

No, I don't think so:
Quote:
My wife tells me a doctor at her health centre returned from Russia last week and is now extremely ill with Covid.
She was fully vaccinated.
**Vaccines don't protect you 100%**
Stop messing with this virus.
David Steadson on Twitter (June 18, 2021)
Old 18th June 2021, 09:55 AM   #540
dann
Penultimate Amazing

At least, the Swedish soccer fans seem to be tested regularly.

Quote:
* It's considered by UK government scientists to be between 40 to 80 percent more transmissible than the previous dominant strain with a higher risk of hospital admissions.
* But what do we really know about the Delta variant of Covid-19, which has been reported in 13 regions in Sweden with over 200 cases?
* Gunilla Karlsson Hedestam, a professor of acting immunology at the Karolinska Institute, gives her expert opinion on the many questions raised by the latest mutation.
What to know about the delta variant in Sweden (RadioSweden, June 18, 2021)

Quote:
* Some tests for the more dangerous delta mutation of the coronavirus have taken up to six weeks to give a result, broadcaster TV4 reports.
* The delays meant Region Blekinge missed occurrences of the variant in Sölvesborg.
* Now all positive tests should be checked for mutations, and the latest figures from the Public Health Agency, from June 10, show 71 confirmed cases of the delta variant in 11 different regions.
Health agency criticized for delays in identifying variant strains (RadioSweden, June 17, 2021)

Quote:
* Thousands of Swedish football fans will be heading to Russia over the next day or so as Sweden meets Slovakia in St Petersburg in its second group game of Euro 2020 on Friday.
* For Susanne Petersson, who is chair of the fans organisation Camp Sweden, it means another round of testing for coronavirus after first entering Spain for Sweden's opening group match in Seville.
* "There has been a lot of tests and a lot of expense, but it's worth it," she tells Radio Sweden while waiting for a flight to St Petersburg from Frankfurt Airport.
A testing time for fans following Sweden at Euro 2020 (RadioSweden, June 16, 2021)
Old 18th June 2021, 10:52 AM   #541
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Twitter thread about a Swedish poll from SOM-Institutet:
Quote:
1) Poll from Sweden's @SOMinstitutet
"Do you think Sweden's strategy to deal with the Corona pandemic has, up to this point, been better or worse that the strategies of other nations?" (1,790 respondents, for 2020)
Better: 52%
Not better or worse: 30%
Worse: 10%
No opinion: 8%
Christian Christensen on Twitter (June 18, 2021)
Quote:
2) Poll Sweden's @SOMinstitutet
"To what extent to do think the strategies for dealing with the Corona pandemic in Sweden & other nations have been based on science?"
54% said Sweden's strategy based "to large/relatively large extent" on science. 16% said same for other nations.
Christian Christensen on Twitter (June 18, 2021)
But notice that the poll is from 2020. I guess many Swedes have changed their opinions since then.
Old 18th June 2021, 09:33 PM   #542
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Friday:
Coronavirus - countries (Worldometers, June 18, 2021)
Sweden: 1,433 (14,574) *727 118 *according to SVT.se The Swedish Public Health Agency's data base still closed.
Denmark: 435 (2,528) 203* 20 *of 91,175 tests (0.22%); Fully vacc. 1,589,896 (27.24% of pop.), 1st dose: 2,941,171 (50.39%).
Finland: 174 (967) 73 12
Norway: 145 (790) 197 7
Iceland: 87 (30) 0 1 - 50 percent fully vaccinated, as Delta variant reaches Iceland
Iceland has 30 active cases, Faroe Islands 15, New Zealand 23
The Faroe Islands have 39 in quarantine , 0 hospitalized - Two new Covid cases
Old 19th June 2021, 07:56 AM   #543
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Me, too. Me, too. (But against Russia? Maybe that is going too far.)

Smitten eksploderer i Rusland, mens tusinder strømmer ind til EM-kampe (TV2.dk on Twitter, June 19, 2021)
Quote:
Situationen forværres hurtigt
Det er Delta-varianten, som først blev opdaget i Indien, der står for de fleste nye smittetilfælde i Rusland.
Smitten eksploderer i Rusland, mens tusinder strømmer til EM-kampe (TV2.dk, June 19, 2021)
The situation is worsening rapidly
The Delta variant, which was first discovered in India, causes most of the new cases of infection in Russia.
The infection explodes in Russia while thousands are rushing to watch the European Soccer Championship Games
Old 19th June 2021, 01:52 PM   #544
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Another Scandinavian super-spreader event connected to a choir. This time in Norway. The only thing that's new is the Delta variant:

56 personer har fått påvist delta-varianten i Færder – knyttes til korkonsert (VG.no, June 17, 2021)
56 people in the municipality of Færden registered as infected with the Delta variant - in connection with a choir concert

Six of them were fully vaccinated!!!
Old 19th June 2021, 09:08 PM   #545
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Saturday:
Coronavirus - countries (Worldometers, June 19, 2021)
Denmark: 435 (2,530) 243* 20 *of 111,216 tests (0.22%); Fully vacc. 1,616,992 (27.70% of pop.), 1st dose: 2,978,038 (50.98%).
Finland: 174 (967) 115 12
Norway: 145 (790) 130 7
Iceland: 87 (30) 0 1 - [url]/url]
Iceland has 30 active cases, Faroe Islands 5, New Zealand 22
The Faroe Islands have 47 in quarantine , 0 hospitalized - One new Covid case

Iceland only has new pandemic numbers on Mondays and Wednesday, but in the meantime one of those only-in-Iceland headlines:
“Best to keep young children away from volcano”
Old 20th June 2021, 03:46 AM   #546
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Smitten eksploderer i Rusland, mens tusinder strømmer ind til EM-kampe (TV2.dk on Twitter, June 19, 2021)

The situation is worsening rapidly
The Delta variant, which was first discovered in India, causes most of the new cases of infection in Russia.
The infection explodes in Russia while thousands are rushing to watch the European Soccer Championship Games
It is worrying. Whilst the trend in Europe generally - with a couple of exceptions - is on a downward trend, that could all be undone tomorrow, with the superspreader EURO2020. Who saw the Hungary-France game? I was appalled at how closely packed in the Hungarian supporters were, none wearing masks and there must have been over 20,000 of them. their far-right government probably doesn't 'believe in' Covid but I bet they will be spreading it to rival supporters. (Portugal and Germany are also playing them.)

Old 20th June 2021, 04:59 AM   #547
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Hungary is pretty high on the list of vaccinated countries, having administered both the Sputnik V and the Sinopharm vaccines in addition to the EU-approved vaccines, so much depends on the conditions for entering the stadion.
Old 20th June 2021, 08:23 PM   #548
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Sunday:
Coronavirus - countries (Worldometers, June 20, 2021)
Denmark: 435 (2,530) 189* 19 *of 74,884 tests (0.25%); Fully vacc. 1,635,018 (28.01% of pop.), 1st dose: 2,999,774 (51.39%).
Finland: 174 (967) 65 12
Norway: 145 (790) 108 7
Iceland: 87 (30) 0 1
Iceland has 30 active cases, Faroe Islands 10, New Zealand 23
The Faroe Islands have 39 in quarantine , 0 hospitalized - Five new Covid cases
Old 21st June 2021, 01:54 AM   #549
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Hungary is pretty high on the list of vaccinated countries, having administered both the Sputnik V and the Sinopharm vaccines in addition to the EU-approved vaccines, so much depends on the conditions for entering the stadion.
I can't help feeling sceptical about this, especially as Finnish reporter, Harri Ahola, claims only 12% of Russians trusted the Sputnik V enough to get vaccinated. I doubt PRAVDA is advertising this though. Likewise, with a large contingent of extreme right wingers amongst the Hungarian fans (they have been reported to UEFA for their racism and homophobia towards others [I note their goal scorers expressed jubilation in 'manly' ways]) I am guessing many of these will also be 'anti-vaxxers' and won't be queueing up for the Chinese one (Sinopharm) either. At least should they and Sweden go through, they wouldn't actually have to meet until the final, which seems a vanishingly remote likelihood. One small mercy.

Old 21st June 2021, 02:49 AM   #550
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Well, according to Our World in Data, Hungary has vaccinated more people than almost all other EU countries.

I don't think that right-winger necessarily = covidiot everywhere. It seems to depend very much on the party line. In Sweden, for instance, the right-wing Sverigedemokraterna have criticized the anti-masking line of the Swedish state.

And in Hungary, approving the Chinese and Russian vaccines was a way for Orban to stick it to the EU vaccine program, which probably sits well with right-wing nationalists. He has also recommended that people get vaccinated, so I don't think you will find something akin to the U.S. Republican anti-vaxxer attitude in Hungary.
Old 21st June 2021, 02:52 AM   #551
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Well, according to Our World in Data, Hungary has vaccinated more people than almost all other EU countries.

I don't think that right-winger necessarily = covidiot everywhere. It seems to depend very much on the party line. In Sweden, for instance, the right-wing Sverigedemokraterna have criticized the anti-masking line of the Swedish state.

And in Hungary, approving the Chinese and Russian vaccines was a way for Orban to stick it to the EU vaccine program, which probably sits well with right-wing nationalists. He has also recommended that people get vaccinated, so I don't think you will find something akin to the U.S. Republican anti-vaxxer attitude in Hungary.
I was just reading in PRIVATE EYE that Hungary's populist leader, Orban, is supported by the UK-based RCP (Revolutionary Communist Party) so that makes sense, in this crazy mixed up world.

Old 21st June 2021, 03:04 AM   #552
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Old 21st June 2021, 04:28 AM   #553
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Swedish PM Lofven ousted in parliament no-confidence vote (Reuters, June 21, 2021)

Many people noticed and commented on the photos showing Swedish parliamentarians wearing the face masks that the Swedish Public Health Agency advised against and many people weren't allowed to wear at their jobs or as students at school.

Quote:
Hi Swedes! These are your parliamentary representatives. See, they wear masks because they are indoors and they know the virus is in the air and that people without symptoms can transmit it. They just failed to tell you this.
Beata Fabi Malsch on Twitter (June 21, 2021)
See photo from Sweden's Riksdag (parliament) in the tweet.

Quote:
Hej @Anna_Ekstrom!
Vad bra att se att du har på dig ett FFP2 andningsskydd, som skyddar både din omgivning och dig själv.
Varför fick inte varenda #lärare i #Sverige också ha det i 1,5 år av pandemi?
Okuvad Medborgare on Twitter (June 21, 2021)
Hi Anna Ekström (minister of education)
How nice to see you wearing an FFP2 face mask, which protect both you yourself and the people around you.
Why couldn't every teacher in Sweden have one of those for one and a half years of the pandemic?

Quote:
Var lika modig som en riksdagsman. Bär munskydd på ditt kontorsjobb!
Marcia on Twitter (June 21, 2021)
Be as brave as members of the Swedish parliament. Wear a face mask at your office job!

By the way, the ousting of the government had nothing whatsoever to do with Sweden's pandemic strategy. It was about rent control.

Last edited by dann; 21st June 2021 at 04:29 AM.
Old 21st June 2021, 05:01 AM   #554
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Mask wearing in Europe (self reported). One country is not like the others.
Björn Piltz on Twitter (June 21, 2021)
See graphs in tweet.

The Danish percentage makes me wonder since everybody has been wearing face masks on public transport and indoors in shops and other public places from the fall of 2020 and until very recently. Maybe it's because almost nobody has been wearing face masks outdoors.
Old 21st June 2021, 11:31 PM   #555
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Monday:
Coronavirus - countries (Worldometers, June 21, 2021)
Sweden: 1,433 (14,574) *727 118 *according to SVT.se The Swedish Public Health Agency's data base still closed; maybe new numbers on Tuesday, June 22.
Denmark: 435 (2,531) 149* 17 *of 56,270 tests (0.26%); Fully vacc. 1,641,094 (28.11% of pop.), 1st dose: 3,010,813 (51.58%).
Finland: 174 (967) 45 9
Norway: 145 (790) 212 7
Iceland: 87 (30) 3 1
Iceland has 24 active cases, Faroe Islands 12, New Zealand 23
The Faroe Islands have 39 in quarantine , 1 hospitalized - Indian Delta Covid variant detected in the Faroes, Russian ship with Covid-infected crew returns
Old 22nd June 2021, 03:40 AM   #556
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Not nearly as bad as I feared:
29 smittede i forbindelse med fodbold-EM i Danmark (DR.dk, June 22, 2021)
29 infections connected to Soccer European Championship games in Denmark

That includes three stadion games and events where people were watching the games on big screens, but, I assume, not people from other countries traveling to Denmark to watch the games.

Last edited by dann; 22nd June 2021 at 03:41 AM.
Old 22nd June 2021, 09:19 PM   #557
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Tuesday:
Coronavirus - countries (Worldometers, June 22, 2021)
Sweden: 1,437 (14,608) *3.378 73 *Since June 11, according to SVT.se
Denmark: 435 (2,531) 155* 18 *of 71,648 tests (0.22%); Fully vacc. 1,676,621 (28.72% of pop.), 1st dose: 3,0680,184 (52.56%).
Finland: 174 (967) 110 9
Norway: 145 (790) 221 5
Iceland: 87 (30) 3 1 - Everyone is welcome today to Janssen vaccine
Iceland has 24 active cases, Faroe Islands 13, New Zealand 23
The Faroe Islands have 39 in quarantine , 1 hospitalized - One new Covid case – one-third fully vaccinated
Old 22nd June 2021, 09:42 PM   #558
dann
Penultimate Amazing

May 2020, Giesecke encourages India to follow Sweden's herd-immunity-by-infection strategy:
"skip the lockdown, take care of the old and the frail people, and let the other people have the infection."

Quote:
Maj 2020
Johan Giesecke uppmanar Indien att släppa på stora restriktioner och istället smittas av Covid19.
Johan Giesecke om Indien #bytstrateginu on YouTube (April 28, 2021)

I AGREE

In English with Swedish subtitles, 1 min.
Old 23rd June 2021, 02:24 AM   #559
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

May 2020, Giesecke encourages India to follow Sweden's herd-immunity-by-infection strategy:
"skip the lockdown, take care of the old and the frail people, and let the other people have the infection."

I AGREE

In English with Swedish subtitles, 1 min.
Bwahahahahahahaha! Does he think India is like Sweden, where people do not live in the same household as three generations,with aunts and uncles thrown in? I am not sure what Sweden's statistics are, but in my part of Finland something like 50% of people live alone (being affluent, that would be a preference, not a sadness) and I am guessing that most will live in nuclear family households, children leave home at 18 for their first apartment - usually as a student - and retired folk often move away from the country and the big farmhouse, too arduous to continue to maintain when a spouse dies, into a 'senior' apartment, to carry on living an independent life. India is a vastly densely population with little means of 'social distancing' except for the very rich, although economic social distance is not as bad as it once was.

I am sure there will be much merriment in India when people hear of Gieseckes'a advice (but then we knew he was a malthusian). Bwahahahahaha!

Old 23rd June 2021, 04:14 AM   #560
dann
Penultimate Amazing

In May 2020, he would have known how well Sweden had succeeded in protecting the lives of the old and the frail, i.e. not at all. When he tried to spread his herd-immunity-by-infection strategy to Ireland in September, it would have been even more obvious.
He deliberately promoted a strategy that he knew would kill people.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events