IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cancel culture

Closed Thread
Old 19th September 2021, 06:05 AM   #3601
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 104,611
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Where does it say that "their subject" is limited by the course syllabus and cannot include the prof's published research?

Once again, I find myself taken aback by how the anti-speech folks will go to jesuitical lengths to narrow the scope of permissible speech in a university setting.
Yeah I know what you mean. I signed up to do a degree in engineering and spent 4 years learning about the politics of the industrial revolution....
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th September 2021, 06:55 AM   #3602
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 25,313
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Bootlickers, eh? Okay then.

Is there a similarly insulting term to use for people who hope to get professors fired from teaching?

Not that I'd deploy it, just curious.
Snowflake?
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 09:49 AM   #3603
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 18,330
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Nice goalpost move: I said "Wuhan Flu" or "China virus". Sorry, not sucked in by your failed strawman attempt.
This is semantic quibbling. Your complaint is that place-names are racist and promote bigotry or hatred, so making an exception for "Wuhan Coronavirus" is special pleading. There's no material difference between "Wuhan Flu" and "Wuhan Coronavirus" given that the place-name is the problematic element.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 09:53 AM   #3604
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 18,330
Regardless, I think that was pretty much irrelevant to chemistry, and served no purpose in that class. I fully support teacher's rights to their own political, moral, and religious beliefs, but I strongly object to the teacher's views being incorporated in classroom material.

Some exceptions may be made with political science or religion classes, but in those cases, special care should be taken to ensure that the teacher is not promoting their own ideological bases as the "right" views.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 10:12 AM   #3605
SuburbanTurkey
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Null
Posts: 15,479
The error the school made is that they didn't work within the constraints of their own system.

If this old fogey is tenured up and protected from being outright fired for being a crackpot, then the better move would have simply been to remove his teaching responsibilities and find some quiet corner for him to be irrelevant in until retirement or death removes him.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 10:35 AM   #3606
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 27,373
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Oh, I don't know... how about... the last one you posted!



The school’s announcement did not include the professor’s name or describe the language used but The Tab Syracuse, a social media account that covers Syracuse University news, posted a photo of a syllabus that references the coronavirus as both the “Wuhan flu” and “Chinese Communist Party Virus.”

Syracuse’s full statement said:

“Syracuse University unequivocally condemns racism and xenophobia and rejects bigotry, hate and intolerance of any kind.

The derogatory language used by a professor on his course syllabus is damaging to the learning environment for our students and offensive to Chinese, international and Asian-Americans everywhere who have experienced hate speech, rhetoric and actions since the pandemic began.

Dear oh dear... forgot to check what the link actually said before you posted it huh?

Oops!!

.
.
Ah context.
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Are you seriously claiming that naming a virus after its supposed place of origin implies a belief in the racial inferiority of the people living there?
<>
Oh good grief. It's not naming it after it's supposed place of origin it's perpetuating the Trumpist meme blaming China.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 10:38 AM   #3607
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 27,373
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Seems to me that if someone complains about Chinese Communism as an ideology, that lowers the likelihood that they are complaining about the Han people as an ethnicity. I'm highly skeptical of the claim that this professor was doing a racism in that syllabus.

At what point did it become reasonable to infer racism from [place name]/[virus] nomenclature?

Has anyone seen a set of goalposts?
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 01:09 PM   #3608
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,314
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
This is semantic quibbling. Your complaint is that place-names are racist and promote bigotry or hatred, so making an exception for "Wuhan Coronavirus" is special pleading. There's no material difference between "Wuhan Flu" and "Wuhan Coronavirus" given that the place-name is the problematic element.
If you can't see the intent of calling Covid-19 the "Wuhan Flu" then you are being wilfully blind to racism and bigotry.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 01:13 PM   #3609
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,314
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post

Has anyone seen a set of goalposts?
They're over there ------> in the "Racists' Rights" thread...
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 01:21 PM   #3610
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 18,330
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
If you can't see the intent of calling Covid-19 the "Wuhan Flu" then you are being wilfully blind to racism and bigotry.
That's not what I said. Read it again.

I don't see any reasonable argument that says "Wuhan Flu" is racist and bigoted, but "Wuhan Coronavirus" is not.

ETA:
New York Times
NPR
BBC
CNN
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian

Last edited by Emily's Cat; 20th September 2021 at 01:26 PM.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 01:55 PM   #3611
d4m10n
Philosopher
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 9,768
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post

Oh good grief. It's not naming it after it's supposed place of origin it's perpetuating the Trumpist meme blaming China.
Whether or not the Wuhan Institute of Virology (and thus the CCP) is at fault is a scientific question, one which rests in part on biochemistry. Looking at political memes isn't going to help anyone resolve it.
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.

Last edited by d4m10n; 20th September 2021 at 02:09 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 01:56 PM   #3612
d4m10n
Philosopher
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 9,768
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
If you can't see the intent of calling Covid-19 the "Wuhan Flu" then you are being wilfully blind to racism and bigotry.
Either that or else you're massively overreacting and attributing covert sinophobia in place of overt anti-communism.
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.

Last edited by d4m10n; 20th September 2021 at 01:58 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 01:59 PM   #3613
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,314
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
That's not what I said. Read it again.
I did, and you are still wrong

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I don't see any reasonable argument that says "Wuhan Flu" is racist and bigoted
Like I said, wilfully blind to racism and bigotry

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
but "Wuhan Coronavirus" is not.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-...r=HtmlFragment
Until 2015, viruses were usually named after the area or locale where they were thought to have originated. Think: Ebola, Hendra and MERS.

This was the case until the World Health Organisation called upon scientists, governments and the media to adhere to what it called "best practices" by naming viruses so as to minimise "unnecessary negative effects on nations, economies and people".
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/28/us/di...rnd/index.html
Yes, we long have referred to disease outbreaks by geographic places. Here's why we shouldn't any more

"But the past has shown naming diseases after places can have negative consequences for nations, economies and people.
Here's why scientists and scholars say these naming practices are problematic"


History indicates that when disease outbreaks occur, xenophobia or racism can follow. During the 2003 SARS outbreak, media coverage of the disease led to the stigmatization of Asian communities in countries such as Canada. It devastated Chinese-owned businesses, especially those located in Chinatowns.

After the 2014 outbreak of Ebola, which is named for a river in the Democratic Republic of the Congo where it was first discovered, African immigrants in the US reported being turned away from jobs and stores. Others faced questions about how long they had been in the US because of their national origin.

The coronavirus has already made people of Asian descent around the world targets of racism and fearmongering. Characterizing the virus as Chinese only exacerbates the problem, experts say.
John C. Yang, president and executive director of Asian Americans Advancing Justice, said that his organization is already seeing a significant increase in hate incidents against Asian Americans, which he says is a direct result of stereotypes perpetuated by terms such as "Chinese virus."

"(Asian-Americans) like everyone in this country, are concerned about coronavirus, COVID-19, and protecting their family," Yang said. "Added onto that is the burden of looking out for their physical safety because of these stereotypes and some latent racism that has engulfed this country because of these terms."
If you are prepared to ignore or handwave this away, then I can only conclude that you are happy to remain wilfully blind to the racist implications of calling Covid-19 the "Wuhan Flu", and the "Wuhan Coronavirus"

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
SO WHAT? Since when has a media outlet using racist terms been OK, or an example to be followed? Radio, TV and newspapers used to use the terms ****** (n-word) and Spic, and Chink to to refer to Black people, Latinos and Asians. Is that still acceptable now do you think?
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 02:12 PM   #3614
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,314
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Either that or else you're massively overreacting and attributing covert sinophobia in place of overt anti-communism.
Well in that case, the CDC, the WHO and medical scientists from all over the world are "massively overreacting"

The n-word was acceptable once, as was calling Latinos "Spics", and calling AIDS the "Gay Disease". They aren't any more. Why do you think that is?

Well, here's why. Its because people with a similar mindset to mine started calling out those who used these terms for their racism and bigotry... and when we did that, people like you jumped in to defend the racists and bigots by saying we were "massively overreacting"

So now, when people accuse me of "massively overreacting" to racism, I wear that as a badge of honour. It tells me that I have managed to hit the mark.

,
,
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!

Last edited by smartcooky; 20th September 2021 at 02:13 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 02:14 PM   #3615
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 18,330
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I did, and you are still wrong
WTF am I wrong about? More specifically, what exactly do you think I said that you feel is wrong?

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Like I said, wilfully blind to racism and bigotry
Oh JFC. smartcooky, sometimes you are so entrenched in an argument that you can't seem to tell up from down.

I don't personally like any of the three: Wuhan Flu, China Virus, Wuhan Coronavirus.

But that doesn't alter the interaction you had with d4m10n. You said that Wuhan Flu and Chinese Flu were racist terms. d4m10n countered by pointing out that in early 2020 WHO used the term Wuhan Coronavirus.

You responded with this:
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Nice goalpost move: I said "Wuhan Flu" or "China virus". Sorry, not sucked in by your failed strawman attempt.
You call it a goalpost move that d4m10n used "Wuhan Coronavirus" and you further dug in by saying that you specified two specific phrases as being racist: "Wuhan Flu" and "China Virus".

The net result of this is that you imply that "Wuhan Coronavirus" is acceptable but that "Wuhan Flu" and "China Virus" are not. And to me, that's semantic quibbling on your part, because there's no material difference at all between "Wuhan Coronavirus" and "Wuhan Flu" with respect to the place-name impact. I even specifically mention that the place-name is the problematic element!

You then double down on your position and imply that I'm a racist for pointing out that both "Wuhan Coronavirus" and "Wuhan Flu" are equally place-name dependent!

So how about you back the hell up, and re-read the interaction?

As a suggestion, you could very easily say "Wuhan Coronavirus" is just as bad as "Wuhan Flu" and then you and I are both happy. Alternatively, you can provide some reason, ANY reason why one of those is acceptable and the other is not... and why your interpretation merits you calling me names.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian

Last edited by Emily's Cat; 20th September 2021 at 02:16 PM.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 02:25 PM   #3616
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,314
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
WTF am I wrong about? More specifically, what exactly do you think I said that you feel is wrong?



Oh JFC. smartcooky, sometimes you are so entrenched in an argument that you can't seem to tell up from down.

I don't personally like any of the three: Wuhan Flu, China Virus, Wuhan Coronavirus.

But that doesn't alter the interaction you had with d4m10n. You said that Wuhan Flu and Chinese Flu were racist terms. d4m10n countered by pointing out that in early 2020 WHO used the term Wuhan Coronavirus.

You responded with this:


You call it a goalpost move that d4m10n used "Wuhan Coronavirus" and you further dug in by saying that you specified two specific phrases as being racist: "Wuhan Flu" and "China Virus".

The net result of this is that you imply that "Wuhan Coronavirus" is acceptable but that "Wuhan Flu" and "China Virus" are not. And to me, that's semantic quibbling on your part, because there's no material difference at all between "Wuhan Coronavirus" and "Wuhan Flu" with respect to the place-name impact. I even specifically mention that the place-name is the problematic element!

You then double down on your position and imply that I'm a racist for pointing out that both "Wuhan Coronavirus" and "Wuhan Flu" are equally place-name dependent!

So how about you back the hell up, and re-read the interaction?

As a suggestion, you could very easily say "Wuhan Coronavirus" is just as bad as "Wuhan Flu" and then you and I are both happy. Alternatively, you can provide some reason, ANY reason why one of those is acceptable and the other is not... and why your interpretation merits you calling me names.
Perhaps you would like to show me where I ever said (or even implied) "Wuhan Coronavirus" was an acceptable term now, at this time in history?

If you are thinking this post...

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=3561

...then you have completely misread it. I was calling out d4m10n for a strawman. Bringing a conversation back to the actual words used does not imply that I think the other words used are OK.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!

Last edited by smartcooky; 20th September 2021 at 02:26 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 02:27 PM   #3617
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 18,330
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
...then you have completely misread it. I was calling out d4m10n for a strawman. Bringing a conversation back to the actual words used does not imply that I think the other words used are OK.
If that was your intent, then your post was very unclear and conveyed a very different message than what you were thinking.

None of which excuses your accusations of racism toward me for noting that BOTH "Wuhan Flu" and "Wuhan Coronavirus" include the same problematic place-name element.

__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 02:39 PM   #3618
d4m10n
Philosopher
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 9,768
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The n-word was acceptable once, as was calling Latinos "Spics", and calling AIDS the "Gay Disease". They aren't any more. Why do you think that is?
Presumably because people realized that using openly derogatory terms for ethnicity isn't okay, and that anyone can catch HIV.

You've yet to make the case that Spanish Flu is derogatory to Spaniards or that Hong Kong Flu is derogatory to the Hongkongese or that Persian Plague is derogatory to Persians. That is the argument you have to make to justify calling for this prof to get sacked on grounds of racism for linking an outbreak to its presumed origin.
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.

Last edited by d4m10n; 20th September 2021 at 02:41 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 03:10 PM   #3619
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,314
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Presumably because people realized that using openly derogatory terms for ethnicity isn't okay, and that anyone can catch HIV.
Remarkable. You understand the highlighted, yet you seem to be unable to apply that to Covid-19.

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
You've yet to make the case that Spanish Flu is derogatory to Spaniards or that Hong Kong Flu is derogatory to the Hongkongese or that Persian Plague is derogatory to Persians.
I've posted plenty of links to the CDC and WHO who say they are changing that policy and clearly stated the reasons why they are changing it... reasons that you seem to have a problem with. If you want to be too lazy to bother reading them, or you don't wish to read them because the content might challenge your worldview, that's your problem.

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
That is the argument you have to make to justify calling for this prof to get sacked on grounds of racism for linking an outbreak to its presumed origin.
No it isn't.

The argument I have to make is that it was unprofessional of him to make a racially charged political statement in the class safety protocols of a Chemistry syllabus, and keep in mind that Zubieta already admitted that it was exactly what he was doing. As I said earlier, I would have been (rightly) fired for doing that on a History syllabus. There were a lot of students at Syracuse who wanted him fired as well. He got off lightly - a slap on the hand with a wet tram ticket.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 03:11 PM   #3620
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,314
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
If that was your intent, then your post was very unclear and conveyed a very different message than what you were thinking.

None of which excuses your accusations of racism toward me for noting that BOTH "Wuhan Flu" and "Wuhan Coronavirus" include the same problematic place-name element.

If that was your intent, then you very unclear and conveyed a very different message than what you were thinking.

__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 03:15 PM   #3621
d4m10n
Philosopher
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 9,768
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I've posted plenty of links to the CDC and WHO who say they are changing that policy and clearly stated the reasons why they are changing it... reasons that you seem to have a problem with.
Your argument is to appeal to the CDC or WHO as an authority on what counts as racism in 2021 (but not 2020)?
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.

Last edited by d4m10n; 20th September 2021 at 03:17 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 03:22 PM   #3622
SuburbanTurkey
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Null
Posts: 15,479
Somewhat famous fascist propagandist Andy Ngo, and his publication of last resort The Post Millennial, are going through a minor cancellation crisis as activists are contacting his unwitting advertisers and encouraging them to pull their business.

Quote:
The Post Millennial is hemorrhaging advertisers because it employs Andy Ngo
Turns out there are financial repercussions to cozying up with the far-right.
https://www.dailydot.com/debug/adver...y-ngo-website/

Quote:
“I got Kargo (an SSP), Next Millennium Media (a sales house) and now OpenWeb (an ad platform) to drop the Post Millennial,” said Jammi, an activist and co-founder of Check My Ads, which helps brands avoid association with “fake news, disinformation, and hate speech.”

“This cuts bad actors like Andy Ngo off from thousands of advertisers and large amounts of revenue in one fell swoop,” she said.

...


Citizen journalist Chad Loder says Surfshark and 6ix have also stopped running ads on the Post Millennial. Neither company responded to requests for comment Wednesday afternoon.

Surfshark reacted with apparent horror after Loder tagged it in a tweet that included a screenshot of its ad on the Post Millennial. Loder asked why it was running ads on a site affiliated with someone who “works with Proud Boys and Capitol rioters to target journalists with death threats.”

“We weren’t aware about this,” Surfshark tweeted in response, then thanked Loder for letting it know.

“We’ve just stopped working with them. Media freedom is one of our core values, and this is just…speechless.”

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 20th September 2021 at 03:27 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 04:35 PM   #3623
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 33,218
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Regardless, I think that was pretty much irrelevant to chemistry, and served no purpose in that class. I fully support teacher's rights to their own political, moral, and religious beliefs, but I strongly object to the teacher's views being incorporated in classroom material.

Some exceptions may be made with political science or religion classes, but in those cases, special care should be taken to ensure that the teacher is not promoting their own ideological bases as the "right" views.
I pretty much agree here.

As I was saying before, it a professor in a university wants to "teach the controversy" it is fine as long as they flag up the fact that the fringe viewpoint is not accepted by mainstream science etc... You can do that in a lecture or a seminar where you might start exploring a few unorthodox viewpoints, but putting the "jokes" in the area for Covid protocols is just unprofessional.

As I also said, it probably only takes a word from the administrators, rather than a suspension, depending on how serious it is. In my view, a red pen with the words, "take this out" should be sufficient. It doesn't impinge on academic freedoms. It just means that the university is abiding by standards of professionalism.
__________________
Слава Україні! **** Putin!
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 05:13 PM   #3624
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 18,330
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I pretty much agree here.

As I was saying before, it a professor in a university wants to "teach the controversy" it is fine as long as they flag up the fact that the fringe viewpoint is not accepted by mainstream science etc... You can do that in a lecture or a seminar where you might start exploring a few unorthodox viewpoints, but putting the "jokes" in the area for Covid protocols is just unprofessional.

As I also said, it probably only takes a word from the administrators, rather than a suspension, depending on how serious it is. In my view, a red pen with the words, "take this out" should be sufficient. It doesn't impinge on academic freedoms. It just means that the university is abiding by standards of professionalism.
Agreed. A simple "Don't be an ass" conversation was probably all that was necessary.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 05:56 PM   #3625
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing
 
Chris_Halkides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 10,787
FIRE's letter to Syracuse

Link to FIRE's letter to Syracuse University here. In particular see page 4, which concerns academic freedom and syllabi.
"Under the policies mutually agreed upon by Syracuse and its faculty, professors have “the right to use the academic forum provided by the University to discuss controversial subjects and to express ideas with which some or most of the members of the community strongly disagree.”14 In recognition of faculty syllabi as a quintessential academic forum, Syracuse affords its professors wide latitude as to the content of their syllabi.15
Here, Zubieta’s syllabus is an academic forum where he is explicitly granted the right to—at the very minimum—raise controversial issues."

Given the...inconsistent...actions of Syracuse University over the last four years in this area, they have forfeited the slightest benefit of the doubt in any close call.
__________________
It is possible both to be right about an issue and to take oneself a little too seriously, but I would rather be reminded of that by a friend than a foe. (a tip of the hat to Foolmewunz)
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 07:00 PM   #3626
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,314
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Your argument is to appeal to the CDC or WHO as an authority on what counts as racism in 2021 (but not 2020)?
No

Do you really believe that stopping people from using racist terms happens overnight? I mean really? It has taken people (mostly Americans) over 60+ in minimizing the use of the n-word as a regular description of Black people, and some people still think it is acceptable nomenclature!

The CDC/WHO guidelines for the naming of viruses, which they are THE authorities on, were issued in 2015; that is just six years ago. I expect there will still be slip ups with continued use of terms such as "Wuhan Coronavirus". I expect it will take many years for people with your, shall we say, "narrow" mindset to understand that it is NO LONGER ACCEPTABLE to tie place and country names to viruses any more that it was acceptable to name weather events such as hurricanes, typhoons and tropical storm exclusively with female names, and use gender biased terms to describe their behaviour.

NOTE: Did you notice how they stopped using the "India variant" almost immediately and started calling it the "delta variant"? Same for the the variants that originated in South Africa (Beta) Brazil (Gamma) and the UK (Alpha). This is thanks to the WHO's guidelines.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 07:13 PM   #3627
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,314
Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
Link to FIRE's letter to Syracuse University here. In particular see page 4, which concerns academic freedom and syllabi.
"Under the policies mutually agreed upon by Syracuse and its faculty, professors have “the right to use the academic forum provided by the University to discuss controversial subjects and to express ideas with which some or most of the members of the community strongly disagree.”14 In recognition of faculty syllabi as a quintessential academic forum, Syracuse affords its professors wide latitude as to the content of their syllabi.15
Here, Zubieta’s syllabus is an academic forum where he is explicitly granted the right to—at the very minimum—raise controversial issues."

Given the...inconsistent...actions of Syracuse University over the last four years in this area, they have forfeited the slightest benefit of the doubt in any close call.
Sorry Chris, but not in a chemistry syllabus. If he wants to raise controversial issues such as politics and racism, is free to do so by writing a social science paper and submitting it for peer review. Politics and racism has no place being discussed in a syllabus for the Pure Sciences.

In Chemistry class, the students are there to learn about Chemistry, they should not have to put up with, or have their class time wasted by, their professor wanking on about political correctness... if they want to learn about that they can attend a Social Science class with one of Prof de Nevers ' staff!
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2021, 04:26 PM   #3628
Graham2001
Graduate Poster
 
Graham2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,621
Won't somebody think of the 'Immature Adults' (aka Children...)


Quote:
A public high school in Hudson, Ohio, has managed a remarkable feat: censoring a college course and — thanks to a mayor’s grandstanding and false claims that a book of writing prompts is “child pornography” — leading police and prosecutors to investigate the class. Today, a coalition of civil liberties organizations led by FIRE is sending a letter to the high school and local law enforcement explaining that the high school’s administration is violating the First Amendment and state law.

https://www.thefire.org/ohio-high-sc...iting-prompts/
__________________
"I need hard facts! Bring in the dowsers!"
'America Unearthed' Season 1, Episode 13: Hunt for the Holy Grail

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2021, 09:23 PM   #3629
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 6,284
Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
Link to FIRE's letter to Syracuse University here. In particular see page 4, which concerns academic freedom and syllabi.

"Under the policies mutually agreed upon by Syracuse and its faculty, professors have “the right to use the academic forum provided by the University to discuss controversial subjects and to express ideas with which some or most of the members of the community strongly disagree.”14 In recognition of faculty syllabi as a quintessential academic forum, Syracuse affords its professors wide latitude as to the content of their syllabi.15

Here, Zubieta’s syllabus is an academic forum where he is explicitly granted the right to—at the very minimum—raise controversial issues."



Given the...inconsistent...actions of Syracuse University over the last four years in this area, they have forfeited the slightest benefit of the doubt in any close call.
Oversold it.

A syllabus is a description of the academic goals to be achieved (required by state policy), what tools, methods (department chair has some "opinions"), and/or materials (check with textbook approval subcommittee) will be used to reach those goals, and how performance will be assessed (equity/diversity/inclusion department is watching closely here) and reported towards a student's academic record. It is a technocratic document, not a "forum" for "ideas."
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 05:18 AM   #3630
SuburbanTurkey
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Null
Posts: 15,479
This actually made me laugh out loud

Quote:
Johnny Depp says ‘no one safe’ from cancel culture as he accepts lifetime achievement award
The Hollywood star made his comments as he accepted the San Sebastián film festival’s highest honour
https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...ievement-award
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 05:51 AM   #3631
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 51,182
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
This actually made me laugh out loud



https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...ievement-award
Well I’m certain that people here would be interested why you are laughing out loud…..or maybe not.

Do you mind explaining.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 06:01 AM   #3632
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,314
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Well I’m certain that people here would be interested why you are laughing out loud…..or maybe not.

Do you mind explaining.
You could try reading the article. Maybe you might feel the same sense of irony I felt about Johnny "Wife Beater" Depp whining about being a victim of "Cancel Culture" because he was criticised for beating up his wife, Amber Heard... and then he gets a fancy "lifetime achievement" acting award?
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!

Last edited by smartcooky; 23rd September 2021 at 06:05 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 06:09 AM   #3633
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 51,182
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You could try reading the article. Maybe you might feel the same sense of irony I felt about Johnny "Wife Beater" Depp whining about being a victim of "Cancel Culture" because he was criticised for beating up his wife, Amber Heard... and then he gets a fancy "lifetime achievement" acting award?
No, not laughing out loud. To each his own I suppose
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 07:04 AM   #3634
Graham2001
Graduate Poster
 
Graham2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,621
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Here's the thing that really pisses me off about this.

Disclaimer: I have not read the book

AIUI, Sally Rooney created a character, and a pretty nasty one by all accounts, who made a racist remark about Asians in Italy. That character was then promptly taken task for his racism by the other characters with him. Jessica Tu has intentionally cherry picked the highlighted part and deliberately not mentioned the rest, in order to paint Rooney as a racist for having one of her characters say this.

Not only is this a clear, intentional breach of journalistic ethics, it is knowingly misleading her readers as to the nature of the book and the attitude of its author. When you write a fictional book about real life attitudes of people as regards some of the unpleasant aspects of human nature, is damned near impossible to so if you don't have characters who exhibit that behaviour. It would be like trying to write a fictional story about slavery in the US south, but not having characters who were plantation owners and slave traders. So when you decide that you need to have characters who are plantation owners and slave traders, some ******* moron reviewer like Jessie Tu calls you a racist because the plantation owners and slave traders you create say and do racist things!

Just found an article on Spiked (usual warnings apply) covering this issue:


Quote:
Sally Rooney is a young, successful author whose latest novel, Beautiful World, Where Are You, is the best-selling fiction book in Great Britain at the moment. Rooney is principally known for two things: her precocious success as a writer and the fact that she is a self-declared Marxist. Yet her political leanings haven’t helped save her completely from cancel culture’s tentacles.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/0...ill-the-novel/
__________________
"I need hard facts! Bring in the dowsers!"
'America Unearthed' Season 1, Episode 13: Hunt for the Holy Grail

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 07:14 AM   #3635
SuburbanTurkey
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Null
Posts: 15,479
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Well I’m certain that people here would be interested why you are laughing out loud…..or maybe not.



Do you mind explaining.
Receiving a prestigious award in front of an adoring audience is probably as far from being "cancelled" as humanly possible
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 07:31 AM   #3636
SuburbanTurkey
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Null
Posts: 15,479
Epik hack is bearing fruit:

Quote:
Agent swept up in hack canned from brokerage for Holocaust views
Joshua Alayon allegedly tried to register a slew of domains such as holocaust-truth.com, theholocaustisfake.com, whitechristianrepublican.com and whitesencyclopedia.com

Florida real estate brokerage Travers Miran Realty has fired real estate agent Joshua Alayon after he was swept up in a hack that revealed alleged attempts to register domain names such as theholocaustisfake.com and whitesencyclopedia.com.

Last week, Epik, a domain registrar known for hosting far-right groups, was hit by “hacktivist collective” Anonymous, who proceeded to leak 180 gigabytes of previously private data — including user names, passwords, 15 million email addresses, and other identifying information of Epik’s customers as well as others, according to several news outlets.
https://www.inman.com/2021/09/22/age...locaust-views/

Antifa super soldiers adding another notch to their keyboard.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 07:48 AM   #3637
ahhell
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 4,644
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Well in that case, the CDC, the WHO and medical scientists from all over the world are "massively overreacting"
Lots clearly did. Not having been born last week, I remember when some of those scientists were saying it was racist to even suspect the lab leak hypothesis.
Quote:
The n-word was acceptable once, as was calling Latinos "Spics", and calling AIDS the "Gay Disease". They aren't any more. Why do you think that is?
Totally the same thing.

Its pretty clear, if Trump hadn't been saying Wuhan Flu, almost nobody would think it was racist. Personally, I think its fine but how about we call it the ChiCom flu or CCCP fever. The Chinese government is responsible for hundreds of thousand if not millions of deaths. Even if it didn't leak from the lab, they've spent a good part of the last two years obfuscating the origins of the disease. Oh wait, that was probably Trump.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 02:52 AM   #3638
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 104,611
Mod InfoContinuation thread created: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=354396
Posted By:Darat
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:01 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.