ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Reference » Forum Spotlight
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 2nd March 2006, 12:44 PM   #241
chillzero
Penultimate Amazing
 
chillzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 15,558
Originally Posted by KellyJ View Post
Cabby:

I think you need to write your "conversion" story for my blog series!
Kelly,
I would be honoured. I think I would write it better than the remote viewing you suggested.
I'll get back to you with that.

(and thanks for noticing it)
chillzero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2006, 01:20 PM   #242
Kelly
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 6,277
Originally Posted by cabby View Post
Kelly,
I would be honoured. I think I would write it better than the remote viewing you suggested.
I'll get back to you with that.

(and thanks for noticing it)
I agree about the remote viewing...this one is for you! (The conversion story!)

Shoot me an email when you get time.

Thanks!
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2006, 11:31 AM   #243
Kelly
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 6,277
I just had a great conversation with Joe Nikell. He is too busy to contribute a complete article to the blog series, but I have permission to use segments from his articles. He's going to try to get me a quote specific to the series in relation to what we are trying to accomplish.

I will be out for a good part of the day on a missing person search, so see you later.

Kelly
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2006, 02:18 PM   #244
LeCynthia
Thinker
 
LeCynthia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 143
Originally Posted by sophia8 View Post
Try going to Page Setup in your printer options and narrowing the margins.
It's the frame on the left causing the letters to cut off on the right. Select the text you want to print (make sure nothing in the left pane is highlighted) then don't hit the print icon, go to file>print, and click the button for Selection. That should print better.
LeCynthia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2006, 02:34 PM   #245
Katachresis
Learning to Fly
 
Katachresis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,423
Originally Posted by Katachresis View Post
what I did was highlight the text, file, print, and check the Selection button rather than the All button.


Originally Posted by LeCynthia View Post
It's the frame on the left causing the letters to cut off on the right. Select the text you want to print (make sure nothing in the left pane is highlighted) then don't hit the print icon, go to file>print, and click the button for Selection. That should print better.


Yeah, but the problem is a site related problem, or am I wrong?
at:
http://www.projectjason.org/comehome.html
which is my main area I wish to help in.
Katachresis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2006, 02:51 PM   #246
Mariah
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 227
Originally Posted by KellyJ View Post
I just had a great conversation with Joe Nikell. He is too busy to contribute a complete article to the blog series, but I have permission to use segments from his articles. He's going to try to get me a quote specific to the series in relation to what we are trying to accomplish.

I will be out for a good part of the day on a missing person search, so see you later.

Kelly
You go, girl. Joe Nickell is the finest debunker out there--sharp as a tack and even tempered--and not easy to get a hold of. You are cookin' with grease now. My admiration knows no bounds.
__________________
www.sherryaustin.com
Mariah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2006, 12:25 AM   #247
Kelly
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 6,277
Originally Posted by Mariah View Post
You go, girl. Joe Nickell is the finest debunker out there--sharp as a tack and even tempered--and not easy to get a hold of. You are cookin' with grease now. My admiration knows no bounds.
Thank you!

I have my quote already...that was fast. It's brief like Susan's, but effective. It will also be helpful to know I can quote from his materials.
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2006, 04:24 AM   #248
Mariah
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 227
You'll have so many experts putting in their two cents, Michael Shermer will be sorry he didn't reply to me, darn him!

Idea: maybe if YOU emailed him, telling him about Susan Blackmore's participation (which I did) and Joe Nickell's, he would now. Couldn't hurt.

And when the Amazing One himself is able...! What do you think about going on Art Bell show? Or has that already been addressed here on the forum and I've forgotten or missed it?

That would be a different take on things than when you visited the TV folks.
__________________
www.sherryaustin.com
Mariah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2006, 08:10 AM   #249
Kelly
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 6,277
I think I will write to Shermer.

Last night I was telling my husband that I received a quote from a world famous psychic buster. He said: "James Randi?" I told him: "No, not yet."

I think someone did mention the Art Bell idea. Isn't he a believer in woo? When I hear his name, I think of UFO stories.

Thanks,
Kelly
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2006, 01:16 PM   #250
Hardenbergh
Graduate Poster
 
Hardenbergh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,073
Alex Tanous, a noted psychic and parapsychologist from Maine (now deceased) helped locate my next door neighbor's daughter and boyfriend many, many years ago. They were teenagers at the time and they had eloped but hadn't been in contact with their families. My neighbors consulted Alex Tanous and he told them where they were. As it turned out, he had been correct and they were both fine.

www.alextanous.org

He was also mentioned in another thread:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=27798

I also know someone who is gifted in this regard but didn't really like to use his abilities except in special cases. Some people find psychic abilities burdensome and they're not particularly comfortable with such gifts. He helped the police locate two young children who were lost in the woods in northern Maine.
Hardenbergh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2006, 01:45 PM   #251
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 42,367
Originally Posted by Hardenbergh View Post
Alex Tanous, a noted psychic and parapsychologist from Maine (now deceased) helped locate my next door neighbor's daughter and boyfriend many, many years ago. They were teenagers at the time and they had eloped but hadn't been in contact with their families. My neighbors consulted Alex Tanous and he told them where they were. As it turned out, he had been correct and they were both fine.

www.alextanous.org

He was also mentioned in another thread:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=27798
Unverifiable anecdote.

Originally Posted by Hardenbergh View Post
I also know someone who is gifted in this regard but didn't really like to use his abilities except in special cases. Some people find psychic abilities burdensome and they're not particularly comfortable with such gifts. He helped the police locate two young children who were lost in the woods in northern Maine.
Please identify this "gifted" person.

Please provide information about this case so we can verify just what this "gifted" person did.
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2006, 01:52 PM   #252
Kelly
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 6,277
Originally Posted by Hardenbergh View Post
I also know someone who is gifted in this regard but didn't really like to use his abilities except in special cases. Some people find psychic abilities burdensome and they're not particularly comfortable with such gifts. He helped the police locate two young children who were lost in the woods in northern Maine.
I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I could "help" the police find a missing person by participating in a search or related activities.

You will need to further define what actions were involved in the help given and what case information was made available beforehand to your friend.
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2006, 01:56 PM   #253
JPK
Graduate Poster
 
JPK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,863
Good afternoon Hardenbergh.

Your post seems to have missed the point of this very productive thread. If you have evidence to back up your claims, please start a new thread about it. Your post is directly the opposite of what the thread is about.
JPK
__________________
"I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier... A belief's a dangerous thing. People die for it. People kill for it."
Rufus, the 13th apostle, Dogma
"You can't prove air." Sylvia Browne
John Kardel
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2006, 02:00 PM   #254
Kelly
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 6,277
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
Good afternoon Hardenbergh.

Your post seems to have missed the point of this very productive thread. If you have evidence to back up your claims, please start a new thread about it. Your post is directly the opposite of what the thread is about.
JPK
JPK is right. Perhaps sometimes I am too nice! This thread has been derailed on more than one occasion. Thanks, JPK.

BTW, since I have your (readers) attention, I'd still really love to find someone who would write a simulation dialog between a psychic and a missing person's family member to show the methods they use to reel the gullible and desperate person into believing in them.
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2006, 02:10 PM   #255
JPK
Graduate Poster
 
JPK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,863
Good afternoon KellyJ.

This has been one of the most productive threads I have ever read on this or any forum and I can't thank you enough for that. If he has evidence of a psychic helping someone great. Post it somewhere else.
JPK
__________________
"I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier... A belief's a dangerous thing. People die for it. People kill for it."
Rufus, the 13th apostle, Dogma
"You can't prove air." Sylvia Browne
John Kardel
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2006, 02:54 PM   #256
Mr. Stick
Thinker
 
Mr. Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 231
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
This has been one of the most productive threads I have ever read on this or any forum and I can't thank you enough for that. JPK
I couldn't agree more! It has been very encouraging to see how people quickly volunteered to help. Kelly, I wish you all the best both on a personal level and with all your ongoing projects.
__________________
John Edward: But, I'm a psychic.
Stan Marsh: No, dude. You're a douche.
John Edward: I'm not a douche. What if I really believed dead people talk to me?
Stan Marsh: Then, you're a stupid douche!
Mr. Stick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2006, 06:07 PM   #257
Kelly
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 6,277
Thank you, JPK and Mr. Stick.

Dr. Michael Shermer just sent me an email and said I can quote the entire last chapter of his book "How We Believe". It's perfect for the occasion!
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2006, 09:15 PM   #258
logical muse
LogMu
 
logical muse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,050
Kelly, please accept my belated welcome to this forum, and my sincere condolences for your loss.

Sorry to come in so late, but if there is any assistance I can offer, it would be my pleasure and honour. I can help with the new web site, if needed. Web design, development, hosting, anything. Fowl and Larsen, if you guys need anything, just ask.

Has a domain name been chosen yet? I notice that what appears to be the current choice, psychicpredators.com, has not been registered yet. I can buy the name right now if you want.
__________________
how to spell definitely
evolution is not just a theory
"Far from terminating the vicious regress, God aggravates it with a vengeance." -- Richard Dawkins
logical muse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2006, 12:54 AM   #259
Kelly
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 6,277
Originally Posted by logical muse View Post
Kelly, please accept my belated welcome to this forum, and my sincere condolences for your loss.

Sorry to come in so late, but if there is any assistance I can offer, it would be my pleasure and honour. I can help with the new web site, if needed. Web design, development, hosting, anything. Fowl and Larsen, if you guys need anything, just ask.

Has a domain name been chosen yet? I notice that what appears to be the current choice, psychicpredators.com, has not been registered yet. I can buy the name right now if you want.
Thank you for your kindness. We're working behind the scenes to get this going. Claus did the developement end, and a fine job at that. FS is working on the domain and uploading.

I am to work on the content, but am dog paddling for the time being because of my work in a local search effort.

Please feel free to check with them to see if there is something else they need help with.

Regards,
Kelly
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2006, 01:12 AM   #260
logical muse
LogMu
 
logical muse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,050
Originally Posted by KellyJ View Post
Thank you for your kindness. We're working behind the scenes to get this going. Claus did the developement end, and a fine job at that. FS is working on the domain and uploading.

I am to work on the content, but am dog paddling for the time being because of my work in a local search effort.

Please feel free to check with them to see if there is something else they need help with.

Regards,
Kelly
OK, I've PMed them. If there's any way I can put my skills to use to help, I'll be glad to.
__________________
how to spell definitely
evolution is not just a theory
"Far from terminating the vicious regress, God aggravates it with a vengeance." -- Richard Dawkins
logical muse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2006, 01:17 AM   #261
Kelly
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 6,277
Originally Posted by logical muse View Post
OK, I've PMed them. If there's any way I can put my skills to use to help, I'll be glad to.
Do your talents lie on the Web related end of the spectrum, or do you also write?
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2006, 01:34 AM   #262
logical muse
LogMu
 
logical muse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,050
Originally Posted by KellyJ View Post
Do your talents lie on the Web related end of the spectrum, or do you also write?
Mostly web stuff. I can write, and in fact I've had a few TLA nominations, for whatever that's worth. Never won, mind you...

What did you have in mind?
__________________
how to spell definitely
evolution is not just a theory
"Far from terminating the vicious regress, God aggravates it with a vengeance." -- Richard Dawkins
logical muse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2006, 09:47 AM   #263
Kelly
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 6,277
There's a few things I would like to have.

1) A dialog between a missing person family and a psychic that shows the methods the psychic uses to extract information and convince the family that they really do have paranormal abilities.

2) A summary of Sylvia Browne and her grand manipulations, including her apparent refusal to take the Challenge

3) An article about the tricks used by TV psychics: what really goes on behind the scenes

4) I don't know much about Remote Viewing, so I'd like an article about what that is and why it's another false claim

5) A brief history of related paranormal activity in the USA, starting with the Fox sisters

6) A summary of the various methods used by psychics

There may be others I am forgetting right now. I know there are several writers out there. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Kelly
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2006, 10:51 AM   #264
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 42,367
Originally Posted by KellyJ View Post
There's a few things I would like to have.
There are quite a few on SkepticReport...
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2006, 10:55 AM   #265
Kelly
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 6,277
Originally Posted by CFLarsen View Post
There are quite a few on SkepticReport...
If I have a lack of guest writers doing these summaries, may I quote direct from these articles?

See you all later tonight....the search we are helping with concludes today.
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2006, 11:34 AM   #266
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 42,367
Originally Posted by KellyJ View Post
If I have a lack of guest writers doing these summaries, may I quote direct from these articles?
No.





You may put them on your site.
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2006, 11:41 AM   #267
Mariah
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 227
Kelly, as part of my research, I've visited Florida's Cassadaga Spiritualist Camp which was the southern retreat for the Spiritualists who founded Lily Dale in New York State, where Spiritualism got its start in the U.S. and incubated. I do not have info directly related to psychic detectives, but I can report what I found out about psychics, firsthand. I attended their Sunday morning Lyceum, their church service, and the two hours of Sunday afternoon readings that experienced and student mediums hold for the public. I don't know if that would be specific enough, though.
__________________
www.sherryaustin.com
Mariah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2006, 01:52 PM   #268
logical muse
LogMu
 
logical muse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,050
Originally Posted by KellyJ View Post
There's a few things I would like to have.

1) A dialog between a missing person family and a psychic that shows the methods the psychic uses to extract information and convince the family that they really do have paranormal abilities.

2) A summary of Sylvia Browne and her grand manipulations, including her apparent refusal to take the Challenge

3) An article about the tricks used by TV psychics: what really goes on behind the scenes

4) I don't know much about Remote Viewing, so I'd like an article about what that is and why it's another false claim

5) A brief history of related paranormal activity in the USA, starting with the Fox sisters

6) A summary of the various methods used by psychics

There may be others I am forgetting right now. I know there are several writers out there. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Kelly
Hi Kelly,

There are others here much more knowledgeable about these things than I am; in fact I'm no expert at all. I really only know about these topics from what I read here and a few other places on the web. CFLarsen has some great articles. Also, the Skeptic's Dictionary and Skeptic Wiki have a lot of information.

It might be worth your while contecting the people at twopercentco to see if you can use their series on Allison DuBois.

Perhaps I'm best helping with the web site: coding, testing, hosting, or anything else.
__________________
how to spell definitely
evolution is not just a theory
"Far from terminating the vicious regress, God aggravates it with a vengeance." -- Richard Dawkins
logical muse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2006, 07:32 PM   #269
Kelly
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 6,277
Originally Posted by Mariah View Post
Kelly, as part of my research, I've visited Florida's Cassadaga Spiritualist Camp which was the southern retreat for the Spiritualists who founded Lily Dale in New York State, where Spiritualism got its start in the U.S. and incubated. I do not have info directly related to psychic detectives, but I can report what I found out about psychics, firsthand. I attended their Sunday morning Lyceum, their church service, and the two hours of Sunday afternoon readings that experienced and student mediums hold for the public. I don't know if that would be specific enough, though.
I've never heard of these places, but I am sure your observances would be helpful. Not all articles will be specifically about missing person's cases, but as long as the reader can draw a rational conclusion from knowledge of the methods used, I'm sure it would be vaulable.

Thank you.
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2006, 07:33 PM   #270
Kelly
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 6,277
Originally Posted by CFLarsen View Post
No.

You may put them on your site.
Slave driver! I'm trying to get to it, Claus.

Gotta love that biting sense of humor.
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2006, 07:37 PM   #271
Kelly
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 6,277
Originally Posted by logical muse View Post
Hi Kelly,

There are others here much more knowledgeable about these things than I am; in fact I'm no expert at all. I really only know about these topics from what I read here and a few other places on the web. CFLarsen has some great articles. Also, the Skeptic's Dictionary and Skeptic Wiki have a lot of information.

It might be worth your while contecting the people at twopercentco to see if you can use their series on Allison DuBois.

Perhaps I'm best helping with the web site: coding, testing, hosting, or anything else.
Aw, thanks for the reminders on those links. I know those will be helpful when writing the summaries of methods used, etc.

It may be possible that there are future website needs as we see how this venture grows.

I will be sure to let Mr. Randi know (when he is better) what a huge help his members have been.
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2006, 01:49 AM   #272
Kelly
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 6,277
I have posted information about the start of the blog series in the Community forum area.

Thank you, and good night.
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2006, 01:58 AM   #273
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger
 
rjh01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Flying around in the sky
Posts: 26,159
This is located at http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=53212
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2006, 05:41 AM   #274
Hardenbergh
Graduate Poster
 
Hardenbergh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,073
Originally Posted by CFLarsen View Post
Unverifiable anecdote.



Please identify this "gifted" person.

Please provide information about this case so we can verify just what this "gifted" person did.
I didn't want to provide too many details as this person doesn't like to draw too much attention to himself although I did see an article from the newspaper at the time. I would like to add that he never charged for this service and he is the brother of someone very close to me who has since passed on.

Alex Tanous' brother, Wakine, is an attorney. Both Alex and Wakine were friends of the family I was speaking about above.
Hardenbergh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2006, 08:13 AM   #275
Gr8wight
red-shirted crewman
 
Gr8wight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,661
Originally Posted by Hardenbergh View Post
I didn't want to provide too many details as this person doesn't like to draw too much attention to himself although I did see an article from the newspaper at the time. I would like to add that he never charged for this service and he is the brother of someone very close to me who has since passed on.

Alex Tanous' brother, Wakine, is an attorney. Both Alex and Wakine were friends of the family I was speaking about above.
Please name the newspaper the article appeared in, and, if you can, the date the article appeared. (Month and year; I don't expect you to remember the exact date).
__________________
Aurora Walking Vacation

"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding."--Marshall McLuhan
Gr8wight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2006, 08:22 AM   #276
Hardenbergh
Graduate Poster
 
Hardenbergh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,073
Originally Posted by Gr8wight View Post
Please name the newspaper the article appeared in, and, if you can, the date the article appeared. (Month and year; I don't expect you to remember the exact date).
His brother showed me a copy of the article but this was many years ago. I assume it was a newspaper in northern Maine (either the Bangor Daily News, Katahdin Press, Lincoln News or some such newspaper in or around Millinocket).
Hardenbergh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2006, 08:27 AM   #277
Mercutio
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,274
Originally Posted by Hardenbergh View Post
His brother showed me a copy of the article but this was many years ago. I assume it was a newspaper in northern Maine (either the Bangor Daily News, Katahdin Press, Lincoln News or some such newspaper in or around Millinocket).
If our university library does not have this on microfilm, I have friends in Portland who would be able to find it in their library. Please try to narrow down the date--talk to his brother if you need to.
Mercutio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2006, 08:39 AM   #278
JPK
Graduate Poster
 
JPK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,863
Good morning Hardenbergh.

Originally Posted by Hardenbergh View Post
I didn't want to provide
I do believe you were asked nicely to start your own thread if you have something to say about this. This thread is about providing grieving parents and family information on how to protect themselves against the second wave of predators, like your friends Alex, and Wakine.
If you wish to provide evidence that psychics have some ability to help, do so in a new thread.
If you would like to talk about all the pain they cause a family and the valuable police time and resources they waste, then all means give us your examples.
Please do not continue to blather on about your deluded friends in this thread.
JPK
__________________
"I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier... A belief's a dangerous thing. People die for it. People kill for it."
Rufus, the 13th apostle, Dogma
"You can't prove air." Sylvia Browne
John Kardel
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2006, 09:08 AM   #279
JPK
Graduate Poster
 
JPK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,863
Good morning KellyJ.

I moved this post from the other thread. I don't know if you saw it or not.
Originally Posted by KellyJ :
Is there anything still on the web about this that shows the error of Carla's ways on this case?

I think this is the one where the dad claimed he couldn't remember where he placed their bodies. The mother spent alot of time going back and forth on I-80 looking for them.


Yes that is the case. I think I read in one of your posts that you are aware of I.I.G.
Here is a link to their investigation into Carla Baron's claims of success.
http://www.iigwest.com/carla_report.html
Sarah and Philip Gehring was thier names.
That case is mentioned there but it hasn't been updated.
JPK
__________________
"I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier... A belief's a dangerous thing. People die for it. People kill for it."
Rufus, the 13th apostle, Dogma
"You can't prove air." Sylvia Browne
John Kardel
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2006, 09:15 AM   #280
Hardenbergh
Graduate Poster
 
Hardenbergh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,073
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
Good morning Hardenbergh.



I do believe you were asked nicely to start your own thread if you have something to say about this. This thread is about providing grieving parents and family information on how to protect themselves against the second wave of predators, like your friends Alex, and Wakine.
If you wish to provide evidence that psychics have some ability to help, do so in a new thread.
If you would like to talk about all the pain they cause a family and the valuable police time and resources they waste, then all means give us your examples.
Please do not continue to blather on about your deluded friends in this thread.
JPK
I'm aware that there are more charlatans than not but I'm confident that there are many that have helped the police. I'm very sorry that the author of this thread has had this experience. I'll say no more about it.
Hardenbergh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » Reference » Forum Spotlight

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:15 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.