ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th August 2006, 07:30 PM   #41
Yahzi
Master Poster

But how does it work?
Yahzi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2006, 10:13 PM   #42
YouBelieveWHAT?
Muse

What star sign are you?

The STOP sign!

YBW

And thanks to SkepticJ:
We'd outgrown the fables, I knew. The sun isn't Apollo's chariot, of course, it's a star that began burning when a god said "Let there be light". Man was not created from clay by Zeus, he was created from clay by Yahweh. Hades didn't restore Euridice to life, please. That would be absurd. Jesus did, of course, restore Lazarus to life.... What morons we were before. How wise we are now. - Dale McGowan
YouBelieveWHAT? is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2006, 11:40 PM   #43
Flange Desire
Muse

What star sign are you?

I'm a cancer, on the cusp of uranus.
Flange Desire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2006, 03:55 AM   #44
StewartP
Critical Thinker

What star sign are you?

I'm a Pyrex. I was a test-tube baby.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Groucho Marx
StewartP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2006, 04:13 AM   #45
IsaacKoi
British Barrister

One general response I've been tempted to use, but (so far) I've resisted the temptation:

"That's nice" [For added effect, gently pat the relevant individual on their head while giving this reply]
IsaacKoi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2006, 04:22 AM   #46
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

Originally Posted by Fronzel View Post
(snip)how I was supposed to prove him wrong.(snip)
The correct response is, "I have. Prove that I haven't proved you wrong." It quickly becomes something akin to two young boys shouting "I got you!", "No you didn't!, "Yes I did!", etc., and is funny to everyone except the claimaint.
Old 8th August 2006, 10:18 AM   #47
Bronze Dog
Copper Alloy Canid

Originally Posted by SkepticScott View Post
The correct response is, "I have. Prove that I haven't proved you wrong." It quickly becomes something akin to two young boys shouting "I got you!", "No you didn't!, "Yes I did!", etc., and is funny to everyone except the claimaint.
You've been blog'd!

Warning: Beware of contaminated water supplies! Suspected source of contamination: Sarah-I

A non-Rockstar Rambler and dissector of Doggerel
Bronze Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2006, 10:43 AM   #48
OccamsRzr
New Blood

I think the response, "I highly doubt that." is probably the best I have ever heard. Short and sweet. I am going to use that one next time........
OccamsRzr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2006, 02:20 PM   #49
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

"That was no alien -- that was my wife!"
Old 8th August 2006, 03:13 PM   #50
pchams
Muse

Originally Posted by grayman View Post
“I don’t believe in astrology because I’m a Leo, and Leos are very hard to convince of anything.”

James Randi
errr...I thought that one was attributed to Arthur Clarke:

"I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical."
- Arthur C. Clarke

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...ccl166777.html

Last edited by pchams; 8th August 2006 at 03:19 PM.
pchams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2006, 03:16 PM   #51
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

May I suggest that this thread should have been named, "Snappy Answers to Stupid Claims"?
Old 9th August 2006, 05:32 AM   #52
grayman
Happy-go-lucky Heretic

Originally Posted by pchams View Post
Originally Posted by grayman :
“I don’t believe in astrology because I’m a Leo, and Leos are very hard to convince of anything.”

James Randi

errr...I thought that one was attributed to Arthur Clarke:

"I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical."
- Arthur C. Clarke

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...ccl166777.html
I copied it from an email Mr. Randi sent me as a reply to an astrology comment I sent to him.

Doesn't matter which said it first, it's a good line.
grayman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2006, 07:18 AM   #53
PenguinWarrior
Scholar

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Yup, that's the one. Works especially well on adverts for paranormal programming.

"Could this mansion be haunted by the spirit of Louis XIV?"

No.

"Could a young girl from Russia see through your skin and diagnose your medical problems?"

No.

"Could this man have seen the alien bodies kept at Area 51?"

No. No, he couldn't.
PenguinWarrior is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2006, 05:13 PM   #54
Morrigan
Crone of War

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
May I suggest that this thread should have been named, "Snappy Answers to Stupid Claims"?
Morrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2006, 10:00 PM   #55
Patricio Elicer
Obsessed with Reality

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Claim: "We only use 10% of our brains."

Response: "Speak for yourself."
Old 10th August 2006, 01:20 AM   #56
Big Les
Philosopher

One I used yesterday whilst being regaled with stories of a ghostly grey-haired female figure was:

"I definitely saw this woman in the library who vanished!"

"Really? Well, who ya gonna call?"

I was quite proud of myself for coming up with *something*, as I never normally know how to respond without somehow validating what I'm being told. Apparently the woman's family were/are Spiritualists so after that I just told her I was a "hardened skeptic I'm afraid".

FYI, the location's historical use was as a military hospital, so her generic "grey lady" sighting on the face of it wouldn't make much sense anyway.
Big Les is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2006, 09:34 AM   #57
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole

Originally Posted by blutoski
"Ahh, I'm not into that fru-fru faggoty stuff."
Diamond! OK, couple of generic one-size-fits-alls. 1. *look of disgust* "That is so Fonzie." 2. *look of keen interest* "Yes! Wagner, man. F#$&in' ricky-tick!" Oh! And one for 'I can see dead people'. "Dude, that is heavy man 'cuz check this- I can see right flailing morons... *evil whisper* ...and I can see one right now!"

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2006, 10:39 AM   #58
Starrman
Graduate Poster

Dead-Talker: I'm getting the letter 'M' - does that mean anything to you?

Me: Wait! I'm getting something too! Do the letters F and U mean anything to you?
Old 10th August 2006, 01:26 PM   #59
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beady View Post
Is there a quickie for Jehovah's Witnesses? I now keep a small stack of "Kissing Hank's Ass" tracts by the door, but I'm looking for something a little pithier.
I know a guy (in his 60's) who keeps a can of fly spray by his door. Whenever Jehovah's Witnesses turn up he chases them down his driveway spraying them and shouting “PESTS, PESTS”.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2006, 01:31 PM   #60
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
Has everybody has seen the video of Kissing Hank's Ass? Not word for word, but darn close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDp7pkEcJVQ

ynot, you monster, I just spent five whole minutes staring at your avatar!
You are feeling sleepy . . .send your money to . . .
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2006, 01:37 PM   #61
ynot
Philosopher

Thanks y’all. I’ve been travelling all week so haven’t been able to partake. Have had a good chuckle - thanks
Old 10th August 2006, 02:13 PM   #62
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Thanks

Q - “Do you mind if I pray?”
A - “As long as you don’t prey on me.”

Not woo, but a few of my all time favourites . . .

Q - “Can I join you?”
A - “I didn’t know I was coming apart.”

Q - “Do you mind if I smoke?”
A - “You can burst into flames for all I care.”

Q - “Isn’t that Sherpa Tensing?”
A - "No, it’s just the way he’s standing”
Old 10th August 2006, 06:58 PM   #63
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ynot View Post
Thanks

A - “As long as you don’t prey on me.”

Q - "Do you mind if I pray?"
A - "As long as you don’t mind if I think."

And a variation, from Firefly actually :

Book : "Captain, do you mind if I say grace?"
Mal : "Only if you say it out loud."

Last edited by Seismosaurus; 10th August 2006 at 07:00 PM.
Seismosaurus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2006, 07:12 PM   #64
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
Q - "Do you mind if I pray?"
A - "As long as you don’t mind if I think."

And a variation, from Firefly actually :

Book : "Captain, do you mind if I say grace?"
Mal : "Only if you say it out loud."
What I’m tempted to say is . . .

A - “Of course not. Do you mind if I vomit?”
Old 12th August 2006, 04:07 AM   #65
RobbieGee
New Blood

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Claim: "We only use 10% of our brains."
Isn't that *at any one point in time*? You know, a computer's cpu is more like 0.00001% active at any one time.
RobbieGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2006, 04:14 AM   #66
StewartP
Critical Thinker

See the Two Percent Company's diatribe on the "10% of our brains" thing
http://www.twopercentco.com/rants/ar...ce_of_our.html
also The Straight Dope: http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_028.html

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Groucho Marx
StewartP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2006, 04:26 AM   #67
Ririon
Cool cat

Originally Posted by RobbieGee View Post
Isn't that *at any one point in time*? You know, a computer's cpu is more like 0.00001% active at any one time.
Unless you run BOINC, of course.
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/
Old 12th August 2006, 05:47 AM   #68
RobbieGee
New Blood

Ririon: No, I meant while fully active. The point is that every single transistor is *not* active at the same time. Neurons only work at some 130Hz (or maybe it was kHz, it's not that important for my point...) iirc, but the brain is massively good at parallel computing, something which has only just begun for the mass market of computers.
RobbieGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2006, 07:26 AM   #69
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

-What astrological sign are you?

-I'm an Orion.

-That's not an astrological sign.

-I hope I never become so narrow-minded that I am forced to use only 12 astrological signs.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2006, 09:13 AM   #70
DrugFreeAlcoholic
Student

"I'll pray for you."

"I'll think for you."
DrugFreeAlcoholic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2006, 09:17 AM   #71
chracatoa
Scholar

Originally Posted by ynot View Post

Claim = “I can talk to dead people.”
"I know, I'm dead."

and if you're in the mood...

"And so are you. Why do you think you can talk to dead people?"

etc.

"Remember that near miss last week? Well, I am sorry to tell you but..."
chracatoa is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2006, 01:48 PM   #72
Druid
Student

Woo: God wants to save you from your life of alcohol, gambling and wild abandoned sex with hordes of horny females.

Me: Why? what the hell did I ever do on him?

A credulous mind . . . finds most delight in believing strange things, and the stranger they are the easier they pass with him; but never regards those that are plain and feasible; for every man can believe such.
Samuel Butler, Characters (1667-9)

Last edited by Druid; 13th August 2006 at 01:51 PM.
Druid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2006, 04:15 AM   #73
Laton
Critical Thinker

Woo: "I can see the future."

Me: "Wow, so can I...(pause with intent stare)...you should put your affairs in order."
Laton is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2006, 09:39 PM   #74
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beady View Post
Is there a quickie for Jehovah's Witnesses? I now keep a small stack of "Kissing Hank's Ass" tracts by the door, but I'm looking for something a little pithier.
Come to the door in a bathrobe, wave your penis at them and say "Bless this!"
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2006, 09:41 PM   #75
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by grayman View Post
It's a well known fact that reptoids have difficulty pronouncing words with more than two syllables e.g. nuclear.
That much is certainly cular.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2006, 09:45 PM   #76
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dogjones View Post
A friend of mine was having a chat with a girl he met. He asked her what she did. "I'm a student," she replied.

"Oh, ok," said Steve - "What are you studying?"

"Healing."

"Oh, right - nursing? Med school?"

"No. Different modality. Shiatsu, reiki, holistic stuff. It's really powerful and interesting."

"Oh... ok. I'm not sure I quite get it - what exactly does it entail, what do you do in class?"

"It's basically healing through touch. You know, I like, do a hara diagnosis, then use my hands to provide healing energy to the afflicted area."

"Ahhh, I get it now," said Steve, his face lighting up with comprehension. You're basically training to be... Jesus."

She scowled and went to talk to someone else. It was great.
Tell her you have herpes.

Also, if someone asks you if you love Jesus, just say no, you're only using him for sex.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal