IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th August 2006, 03:06 AM   #1
Druid
Student

Calling all Critical Thinkers

Hi all,

Do you consider yourself to be a Critical Thinker?

The Skeptic Express has put together a short interactive quiz designed to test your Critical Thinking Skills. You'll find it on our current homepage in the Critical Thinking links (top left hand corner)Critical Thinking Intercative Quiz

This quiz is based on the *A Level test for 17-18 yr old students set by OCR the organisation responsible for setting and marking student exam papers.

So why not have a go, it wont cost anything but a few moments of your time.

The Skeptic Express has its own forum and would appreciate (although not required) your feedback on the quiz i.e. what your score was, which question did you think was the hardest/easiest or anything else you wish to say about it.

Our Critical Thinking board is run by David Yates a teacher of *A/AS Level Critical Thinking and will happily discuss/help with any queries you have.

Please NOTE: This is NOT a recruitment drive for the forum. At the present my knowledge of Java is limited and I have not been able to set up the quiz to do the statisical analysis for me.
If you can help in this regard I would be most grateful. The quiz was created using the Hot Potatoe program.

Druid.

*A Level is the required level of education for students wishing to gain entry to University. Grades regarded as a Pass in any particular subject are usually A, B or C.

A credulous mind . . . finds most delight in believing strange things, and the stranger they are the easier they pass with him; but never regards those that are plain and feasible; for every man can believe such.
Samuel Butler, Characters (1667-9)

Last edited by Druid; 28th August 2006 at 03:09 AM.
Druid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2006, 04:15 AM   #2
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

I can't resist reading questionnaires and quizzes! So have just looked at it. I answered a few of the questions with what seemed to be the logical choice, but then the medical one did not have one I'd choose, so I stopped there. Might have another look later.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2006, 05:16 AM   #3
Ceritus

looks fun
Ceritus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2006, 06:32 AM   #4
asthmatic camel
Illuminator

77% Not too bad for an ignoramus. Not a perfect questionnaire but interesting. Thanks.

Last edited by asthmatic camel; 28th August 2006 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Cheap keyboard
asthmatic camel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2006, 06:33 AM   #5
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

What is a "biro?" "Satarist"?
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2006, 06:47 AM   #6
asthmatic camel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jeff Corey View Post
And your score was?
asthmatic camel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2006, 06:54 AM   #7
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Biro - English for ballpoint pen.
Satarist - Speeling mistake.

1 wrong - messed up on the sports question - probably because it was a sports question so my brain went into Homer-mode.
Old 28th August 2006, 07:03 AM   #8
Gr8wight
red-shirted crewman

A "biro" is a ball point pen.

I scored 80%

Yay me!

"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding."--Marshall McLuhan
Gr8wight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2006, 07:04 AM   #9
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Originally Posted by Jeff Corey View Post
The first is a ball point pen, the second a spelling or typographical error.
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2006, 07:05 AM   #10
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Originally Posted by brodski View Post
The first is a ball point pen, the second a spelling or typographical error.
ETA: 9/10- David Bekham made me stupid.
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2006, 07:09 AM   #11
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

86% - primarily because I misread what one question was asking and I absolutely whiffed on the surgeon question.

But this seems about as good as the logic questions on my GRE and LSAT although, since those have been professionally normed, you should just steal from there.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2006, 07:24 AM   #12
Katana
Illuminator

80%

Believe it or not, I messed up on the tuberculosis question. Great start!
Katana is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2006, 07:31 AM   #13
Druid
Student

Thanks guys for your participation, I really appreciate it. I hope to have another similiar quiz running soon which was why we were hoping for the feedback, so we knew which parts to improve etc.

Dru.

A credulous mind . . . finds most delight in believing strange things, and the stranger they are the easier they pass with him; but never regards those that are plain and feasible; for every man can believe such.
Druid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2006, 07:34 AM   #14
sphenisc
Philosopher

The first time I did it, I got 86%, but the second time I got a 100%, which shows what a good teaching aid it is!!

sphenisc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2006, 07:35 AM   #15
SwissSkeptic
Critical Thinker

Thanks Druid, nice quiz

93%. Beckham sucks.
Old 28th August 2006, 07:47 AM   #16
Dave1001
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Druid View Post
Hi all,

Do you consider yourself to be a Critical Thinker?

The Skeptic Express has put together a short interactive quiz designed to test your Critical Thinking Skills. You'll find it on our current homepage in the Critical Thinking links (top left hand corner)Critical Thinking Intercative Quiz

This quiz is based on the *A Level test for 17-18 yr old students set by OCR the organisation responsible for setting and marking student exam papers.

So why not have a go, it wont cost anything but a few moments of your time.

The Skeptic Express has its own forum and would appreciate (although not required) your feedback on the quiz i.e. what your score was, which question did you think was the hardest/easiest or anything else you wish to say about it.

Our Critical Thinking board is run by David Yates a teacher of *A/AS Level Critical Thinking and will happily discuss/help with any queries you have.

Please NOTE: This is NOT a recruitment drive for the forum. At the present my knowledge of Java is limited and I have not been able to set up the quiz to do the statisical analysis for me.
If you can help in this regard I would be most grateful. The quiz was created using the Hot Potatoe program.

Druid.

*A Level is the required level of education for students wishing to gain entry to University. Grades regarded as a Pass in any particular subject are usually A, B or C.
Great idea!

As an lsat tutor, I also recommend the logical reasoning section of the lsat to practice your criticial thinking skills. They are 25 problem, 35 minute, multiple choice section tests, as there's over 100 of them that have been released (2 to an exam).
Dave1001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2006, 07:50 AM   #17
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Druid View Post
Thanks guys for your participation, I really appreciate it. I hope to have another similiar quiz running soon which was why we were hoping for the feedback, so we knew which parts to improve etc.

Dru.
Some general feedback - gone back through it to see what happens with wrong answers and in some of them you offer some really good feedback as to why the wrong answer is wrong - later on there seems to be a lot more that are just given as "not correct".
Old 28th August 2006, 07:58 AM   #18
IXP
Graduate Poster

96%

I missed the ghost one, becuase I missed the sublety that a stated opionion is not an underlying ASSUMPTION.

I think the questions are quite good and fairly subtle, and I certainly agree with all of the best answers.

BTW: I think you should state somewhere that you should try again if you miss the first time, this is not obvious.

ixp
Old 28th August 2006, 08:22 AM   #19
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks for reminding me of the LSATs. Jerk.

I got a low "A".
KingMerv00 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2006, 08:36 AM   #20
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

50%. With 7 minutes remaining. That just goes to show just how critically I DO think- I'm critical of his answers, some of which he judges me wrong on when I had thought beyond his box. Oh well, I guess he is equally critical of how I think, I'll give him 50% too.

Hmmm, does thinking 100% like somebody else make you a critical thinker? Or a 'like thinker'?

I can't compare this test to college entry tests, never took one. But my GED score would qualify me for Mensa, like everybody else here.
Old 28th August 2006, 09:37 AM   #21
IXP
Graduate Poster

casebro,

Would you mind sharing with us which answers you think are incorrect?

IXP
Old 28th August 2006, 09:38 AM   #22
Ali
Muse

Your test can be very much improved by including:
If you don't accept God you cannot be intelligent, no matter what your score on this or any other test is.
Ali is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2006, 09:46 AM   #23
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ali View Post
If you don't accept God you cannot be intelligent, no matter what your score on this or any other test is.
Duhh....me no understand.

*Hits self repeatedly with a fish.*
KingMerv00 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2006, 09:54 AM   #24
Druid
Student

Originally Posted by KingMerv00 View Post

*Takes fish of KingMerv*

Give me a go cos I'm doing no better than you.

*hits self repeatedly with KingMerv's fish*

Dru.

Old 28th August 2006, 09:59 AM   #25
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Is the answer "false"?

It is, isn't it.

What do I win?
Old 28th August 2006, 10:01 AM   #26
Ali
Muse

Originally Posted by KingMerv00 View Post

That's exactly what I mean: you need to think before you resort to hitting yourself with a fish.
What I don't understand is why many people resort to fish rather than take the first step to critical thinking.
Ali is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2006, 10:10 AM   #27
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

That's exactly what I mean: you need to think before you resort to hitting yourself with a fish.
What I don't understand is why many people resort to fish rather than take the first step to critical thinking.
Weird magic box make squiggles. Wishin me could read.
Old 28th August 2006, 10:14 AM   #28
brodski
Tea-Time toad

and that first step is?
Old 28th August 2006, 10:14 AM   #29
Almo
Masterblazer

I disagree with Question 4:
Quote:
A is not an assumption. The author thinks that Beckham should be well paid because he is a genius, not because his skill is unusual.
This assumes a certain meaning of the word "genius." I would argue that by definition, if Beckham is a genius, then his skill us unusual. People have to solve rather complex differential equations to keep their balance going up stairs. But we don't call people who can do it geniuses, because everyone can.

what happened to spoiler tags? I can't get them to work.
"It may be that there is no body really at rest, to which the places and motions of others may be referred." –Issac Newton in the Principia

Last edited by Darat; 28th August 2006 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Corrected the spoiler tag
Almo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2006, 10:16 AM   #30
SwissSkeptic
Critical Thinker

Yay, I've got a new signature!
Old 28th August 2006, 10:47 AM   #31
rudar
Thinker

83%

I think the major flaw in the art-is-rubbish argument is that it extrapolates from N=1 expert opinion and N=1 lay opinion, but that wasn't one of the options...

And for the med school argument, there's an unstated assumption that physical skill can't be taught; if it can, none of the options really bolster the argument in favor of selecting by initial physical skill.
rudar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2006, 10:48 AM   #32
Druid
Student

Originally Posted by Almo View Post
But we don't call people who can do it geniuses, because everyone can.
But not everyone can bend a ball like Beckham.

Almo,

The quiz was designed by David Yates a teacher of A Level Critical Thinking at an Independant School in the UK.
Unfortunately David is not a member of this forum so may i invite you to raise your point with him directly on The Skeptic Express Forum.

You'll find it here.

I'm quite sure David will be happy to discuss your misgivings about said Question.

Druid.

Old 28th August 2006, 10:51 AM   #33
SwissSkeptic
Critical Thinker

They still work, you have to use a slash instead of backslash.
Old 28th August 2006, 11:47 AM   #34
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by IXP View Post
casebro,

Would you mind sharing with us which answers you think are incorrect?

IXP

From scanning the above, I have a lot of wrong answers in common: the surgeons, (not all MD,s need to become surgeons, so what?) the beckman,(distinction seems to be whether genius should be rewarded, or if Beckman should be rewarded for his genius...) the art one also (art is in the heart of the beholder, so who can criticise anothers taste?) ghost one also, like IXP's reasoning. But I only got 10 questions- how did you guys score in smaller than 10% intervals?
Old 28th August 2006, 11:53 AM   #35
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
But I only got 10 questions- how did you guys score in smaller than 10% intervals?
You can make multiple guesses on the same question.
Old 28th August 2006, 12:14 PM   #36
Druid
Student

I disagree with Question 4:

This assumes a certain meaning of the word "genius." I would argue that by definition, if Beckham is a genius, then his skill us unusual. People have to solve rather complex differential equations to keep their balance going up stairs. But we don't call people who can do it geniuses, because everyone can.

Almo,

David has read your comment and sent me this reply to post on his behalf.

On the Randi discussion board, a character called Almo disagrees with my explanation and believes that A is a correct answer to the Beckham question. His reason is:

"This assumes a certain meaning of the word "genius." I would argue that by definition, if Beckham is a genius, then his skill us unusual. People have to solve rather complex differential equations to keep their balance going up stairs. But we don't call people who can do it geniuses, because everyone can."

He is correct that genius has to be something that is rare. However, in order to make his argument, the author does not have to believe that sporting genius is as rare as any other type of genius. What he does have to believe is that genius should be consistently rewarded, which is why the answer is B rather than A.

Druid.

Old 28th August 2006, 12:30 PM   #37
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by rudar View Post
...snip..

And for the med school argument, there's an unstated assumption that physical skill can't be taught; if it can, none of the options really bolster the argument in favor of selecting by initial physical skill.
That was the one that had me most puzzled (but I did get right).
Old 28th August 2006, 12:50 PM   #38
John Jackson
Muse

I got 80%

I thought it was generally a really good test but I too disagreed with a couple of questions.

Question 4 (Beckham) - the answer was: "We should be consistent in the way in which we reward exceptional intelligence."

Erm, no intelligence is required to be great at football. Perhaps 'ability' should have been used instead of 'intelligence'?

Question 5 (Medical) - too much ambiguity in the question regarding 'doctors' and 'surgeons'.

Question 6 - I just got plain wrong.

I think a problem here is that if this is the level at which students are introduced to critical thinking then it's not surprising that they find it difficult.

Is there not a GSCE level that could be used as a gentler introduction to the topic?

John Jackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2006, 12:55 PM   #39
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

By the way Druid don't forget to add your site to our links section.
Old 28th August 2006, 01:15 PM   #40
Druid
Student

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
By the way Druid don't forget to add your site to our links section.
Thanks Darat, The Skeptic Express is already in your learning resources links section.

All we want now is a * beside our name

Druid.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal