ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags masaru emoto , mdc

Old 3rd October 2006, 12:19 PM   #1
Porterboy
Critical Thinker

Whatever Happened to Masaru Emoto?

I was wondering how Masaru Emoto responded to James Randi's invitation to take the $million challenge.

Masaru Emoto is the man who has published a study of how different things effect ice crystal formation. Here's his website:

http://www.hado.net/index2.html

He claims that water crystals form in different ways when influenced by many strange things, including homeopathic material dilutions and words written on the water containers.

I can see some obstacles in testing his theories. If the ice crystals are really effected by such factors as thought and mental intent then the thoughts of those conducting the experiment could influce its outcome. In this case Emoto's ideas might lie in the realms of the "unproven and unprovable".

If he's taken Randi up on his offer I'd be interested to see the outcome.
Old 5th October 2006, 02:18 PM   #2
Mr. Scott
Under the Amazing One's Wing

Originally Posted by Porterboy View Post
I can see some obstacles in testing his theories. If the ice crystals are really effected by such factors as thought and mental intent then the thoughts of those conducting the experiment could influce its outcome. In this case Emoto's ideas might lie in the realms of the "unproven and unprovable".
Well, the one consistent feature of nearly all paranormal claims is that the presence of a skeptic seems to cancel out all the power of the believers. If Randi has any say on how Emoto's experiments are run, the ice crystals would, as if by magic, start to behave exactly in accordance with the know laws of physics. It seems that a single skeptic can override the fragile psychokinetic willpower of a million believers. Aren't we powerful ?

Last edited by Mr. Scott; 5th October 2006 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Typos
Mr. Scott is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2006, 02:47 PM   #3
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Maybe he saw this, and was motivated not to persist:

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2006, 02:30 AM   #4
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

He went the way other woo claimants have gone: Oblivion.

Who hears of Schwartz today?

Their claims are stale, without developing in the face of new discoveries or criticisms. So, they fade away, with only their followers to continue believing.

Pseudoscientists vs Paranormalists
Old 6th October 2006, 06:59 AM   #5
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I believe he transformed into an emotocon.
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2006, 02:15 PM   #6
Zygar
Lex Luthor's Evil Twin

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I believe he transformed into an emotocon.
Zygar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2006, 02:42 PM   #7
Chris Haynes
Perfectly Poisonous Person

He is the subject of today's "Friday dose of woo":
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/20...oooooommmm.php

"HCN, I hate you!"
( so sayeth Deetee at http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?p=1077344 )...
What I get for linking to http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/
Chris Haynes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2006, 08:13 AM   #8
simonmaal
Critical Thinker

Call me stupid or old-fashioned, but what exactly is a 'water crystal'? I've never heard of them before.
simonmaal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2006, 08:25 AM   #9
Puggy
Thinker

I believe he's riding the "What the bleep do You know?" train now. But it seems there's been a train-wreck because I haven't heard anything lately.

I saw a DVD at Costco a couple of weeks ago, about the water memory BS, don't remember its name.

Emoto did some lectures at Mexican UNIVERSITIES about a year ago, but since dissapeared.

I remember Randi setting up a challenge to Emoto, and a probable protocol in one of his commentaries.
Puggy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2006, 08:27 AM   #10
Puggy
Thinker

Originally Posted by simonmaal View Post
Call me stupid or old-fashioned, but what exactly is a 'water crystal'? I've never heard of them before.
I'll call You simonmaal, and I found the Randi commentary on this BS: http://www.randi.org/jr/052303.html. It's the second section.
Puggy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2006, 12:59 PM   #11
rwguinn
Philosopher

Ice?
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2006, 12:43 AM   #12
simonmaal
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Puggy View Post
I'll call You simonmaal, and I found the Randi commentary on this BS: http://www.randi.org/jr/052303.html. It's the second section.
I still don't get it: these tests are being carried out on water, not ice, yet Emoto is claiming that water crystals exist in water whilst in its liquid state. Despite reading this synposis, I still have absolutely no idea what this is all about. Perhaps the confusion is not my problem; it resides in the 'theory'.

Of particular note is this 'Doctorate' from theOpen International University of Alternative Medicine; the following link takes us there:

http://www.altmeduniversity.com/

Looks pretty much like a diploma mill to me.

The doctorate involves "five papers and the student will be asked to answer the same at his (sic) place of residence. The answer scripts should be sent to the Institute for evaluation."

Or you can go for a Doctor of Philosophy, which is obtained thus: "
The candidate has to submit an original & authentic research work (thesis) of at least 300 pages (on full scape paper) in any branch of alternative medicine under the guidance of a competent person or institution after obtaining the prior approval of this institute."

I think these two excerpts tell us all we need to know.

Last edited by simonmaal; 28th October 2006 at 12:50 AM.
simonmaal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2006, 09:46 PM   #13
Porterboy
Critical Thinker

This subject reminds me about the debate over homeopathy. According to James Randi, homeopathic remedies are so thouroughly diluted that they probalby don't contain one single molecule of the original active ingredient. If the original active ingredient works the same way as Emoto's words and thoughts do then it somehow changes the water and this is what the cure is.

I know that homeopathy has been debunked, but I did try it twice on my excema and it worked fairly well, at least as well as the urea cream I got from my doctor. The condition has gone away (and it's a relief, I can tell you!), but if it ever came back I would consider using homeopathy again.

Is it possible that the debunkers have missed something?
Old 18th November 2006, 10:09 PM   #14
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

The problem with excema is that it tends to go away on its own, even without treatment.

The creams that the doctor give you for it are not very good. They are no cure. If not used properly they can even make the condition worse.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2006, 02:59 AM   #15
Mobyseven
President of Covert-Ops

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
The problem with excema is that it tends to go away on its own, even without treatment.

The creams that the doctor give you for it are not very good. They are no cure. If not used properly they can even make the condition worse.
Depends on what cream you're given and what type of excema it is.

I'm a walking skin problem, but my skin actually doesn't look too bad. This is mostly because of the different creams and such I use (for months I looked disgusting - the excema came on quickly, and just got worse and worse).

For example, on my elbows, I generally moisturize and use a mild steroid cream (or strong if it really flares up). On my face I moisturize and use Elidel in some places, and Nizoral in others.

I really am a walking disaster sometimes...but it's under control now.
Mobyseven is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2006, 03:10 AM   #16
Kimpatsu
Illuminator

I have. It's called "ice"... :P
"Most people, I believe, think that you need a God to explain the existence of the world, and especially the existence of life. They are wrong, but our education system is such that many people don't know it. "--Richard Dawkins
Kimpatsu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2006, 10:58 AM   #17
Chris Haynes
Perfectly Poisonous Person

Originally Posted by Mobyseven View Post
...I'm a walking skin problem, but my skin actually doesn't look too bad. This is mostly because of the different creams and such I use (for months I looked disgusting - the excema came on quickly, and just got worse and worse).....
I used to be that way too... Until I was finally diagnosed as being allergic to nickel (a very common allergy). So I have removed my wedding rings (someday we will have redone with gold hardened without nickel), make sure my watch is either plastic or a stainless steel back and have had to buy special sewing pins and needles. Now I very seldom use creams.

"HCN, I hate you!"
( so sayeth Deetee at http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?p=1077344 )...
What I get for linking to http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/
Chris Haynes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2006, 02:13 PM   #18
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porterboy View Post
. . .
I know that homeopathy has been debunked, but I did try it twice on my excema and it worked fairly well, . . .
Many so-called homeopathic remedies prove upon analysis to contain actual ingredients in non-homeopathic quantities. This is often one explanation that it "works".
Old 20th November 2006, 03:15 AM   #19
robinson
Banned

I hardly can stand to report this, but in
Quote:
October 2006, parapsychologist Dean Radin from the Institute of Noetic Sciences published the results of a "pilot test" of a double blind experiment on Emoto's claims, using four water samples. The study reports that photographed crystals were rated as more beautiful when they came from samples that had been sent a long-distance "prayer of gratitude" by a group led by Emoto. This has encouraged Radin to initiate a more more extensive test.
robinson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2006, 09:48 PM   #20
Porterboy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Mobyseven View Post
Depends on what cream you're given and what type of excema it is.

I'm a walking skin problem, but my skin actually doesn't look too bad. This is mostly because of the different creams and such I use (for months I looked disgusting - the excema came on quickly, and just got worse and worse).

For example, on my elbows, I generally moisturize and use a mild steroid cream (or strong if it really flares up). On my face I moisturize and use Elidel in some places, and Nizoral in others.

I really am a walking disaster sometimes...but it's under control now.
I'm glad for you. It's a really nasty condition that can completely destroy your life, at its most extreme.

Yes, moisturization is vital. I still use it regularly every time I wash my hands or shave.
Old 20th November 2006, 09:50 PM   #21
Porterboy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Many so-called homeopathic remedies prove upon analysis to contain actual ingredients in non-homeopathic quantities. This is often one explanation that it "works".
Could well be the case. I'm not a homeopathic champion who will use it simply out of principle. I'll use it if it is effective. If it doesn't work I won't.

I've found that my ecsema seems to be stress-related. It always crops up when I'm frightened or worried about something.
Old 20th November 2006, 09:52 PM   #22
Porterboy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by robinson View Post
I hardly can stand to report this, but in
Dean Radin appeared in "What the BLEEP Do We Know", I remember. I doubt if you can call him impartial though.
Old 21st November 2006, 07:55 AM   #23
robinson
Banned

He was mentioned in a thread over in the Science subforum, as being a crank.

In other news, for $4000 you can buy a device for
Quote:
Using your voice sample to determine best frequencies and elements from the Periodic Table needed for creating Personally Imprinted Scalarwave Structured Water.
http://www.hado.net/sound_energy.html

I smell scam.
robinson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2006, 06:02 PM   #24
lizaonavon
New Blood

Masaru Emoto still earns as many yen as he can---he is part of the "Ocean of Gratitude" Cruise, where you can pay thousands of dollars to hear his delusions while cruising caribbean islands February 2007. oceanofgratitude.com. If his H2O crystals stretch your Chem 101 too far, other charismatics are on deck to heal anything you might imagine. Private sessions, of course, are available.

Last edited by lizaonavon; 12th December 2006 at 06:05 PM. Reason: increase specificity
lizaonavon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2006, 06:13 PM   #25
robinson
Banned

Please tell me that is a joke, right?
Old 12th December 2006, 07:00 PM   #26
lizaonavon
New Blood

Gratitude cruise is true

It's true.
Astounding that people can let themselves be so deluded and spend so much money while doing it.
lizaonavon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2006, 07:09 PM   #27
robinson
Banned

http://www.oceanofgratitudecruise.com/

Its not JUST Masaru, which is what I found impossible to believe. It is a whole OCEAN of love and gratitude. These things happen all the time.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge