ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bumper stickers

Reply
Old 31st October 2006, 11:56 AM   #1201
Ossai
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,452
Huntster
Quote:
You might want to respond to this fool, but I'd advise to simply ignore his drivel. Check his overall posting history. You'll find that when he is unsuccessful in damaging your faith, he'll become frustrated and resort to calling you names from then on.
Do you like it when we point back to past threads where we’re caught you in a lie and point it out for all to see.

Ossai
__________________
The other moral to be drawn from the story [of Job] is that if you lead a good virtuous life, God will urge Satan to kill your family for a bet. Perhaps you should try to sin a little now and then, just to keep your children safe.
- Dr Adequate
www.stopsylvia.com
Ossai is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 12:00 PM   #1202
Huntster
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,798
Originally Posted by Genesius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntster
You might want to respond to this fool, but I'd advise to simply ignore his drivel.
". . . but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire." - Matthew 5:22
Correct. I'm in great danger of the horrors of Hell.

I'm happy to see that you enjoy and agree with Scripture as I do.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Check his overall posting history. You'll find that when he is unsuccessful in damaging your faith, he'll become frustrated and resort to calling you names from then on.
"Hello, kettle? This is pot. You're black!"
Yup, again. A great and proficient sinner I am.

As black and nasty as Ossai. Maybe even blacker and nastier.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
However, if you enjoy watching children throwing tandrums, kicking and screaming, etc., you'll enjoy this clown.
Ditto.
Yup yet again. It's actually quite entertaining to watch him perform.
Huntster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 12:04 PM   #1203
Huntster
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,798
Originally Posted by Ossai View Post
Huntster

Do you like it when we point back to past threads where we’re caught you in a lie and point it out for all to see.

Ossai
Your links are lacking. You've linked a thread which opens with a post from someone else, and the next post of mine reads thus:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFLarsen
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntster :
The Bible is a great moral reference
Which parts of the Bible?Which parts of the Bible?
My favorites are the Books of Wisdom (Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, the Song of Songs, Wisdom, and Sirach), the four Gospels, and Psalms.
Maybe you'd like to try again, child?
Huntster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 12:07 PM   #1204
Genesius
Apathetic Agnostic
 
Genesius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,583
Originally Posted by Huntster View Post
Correct. I'm in great danger of the horrors of Hell.

I'm happy to see that you enjoy and agree with Scripture as I do.
Actually, I don't believe a word of it. But if you're right, I'll make sure to save you a nice warm spot should I die first. After all, I really doubt you remember to mention all the times your temper gets the best of you when you're in confession.
__________________
"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense and to the same extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." - H. L. Mencken
"Why believe in things that make it tough on you?" - Devo, "Love Without Anger"
Genesius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 12:16 PM   #1205
Huntster
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,798
Originally Posted by Genesius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntster
Correct. I'm in great danger of the horrors of Hell.

I'm happy to see that you enjoy and agree with Scripture as I do.
Actually, I don't believe a word of it.
Oh, I see. You're just trying to use it as a weapon against me.

Sorta like how Satan used the lie on Eve.

You're quite a guy. Too bad your game doesn't work.

Quote:
But if you're right, I'll make sure to save you a nice warm spot should I die first.
Thanks, but no thanks. I'm hoping there isn't reserved seating in Hell. I would think I could keep the company I prefer there. I know of several that may be there who I'd prefer to hang with.

Quote:
After all, I really doubt you remember to mention all the times your temper gets the best of you when you're in confession.
Yup.

Mrs. Huntster has pointed out that I'm such a proficient sinner that there is no way I can remember every one for the confessional.

I'm kinda hoping that I will be judged on my faith and love of God more than my sins (in fact, there is that exact liturgical prayer in the Catholic Mass that I always remember to pray fervently, because I'm relying on it).
Huntster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 12:28 PM   #1206
Genesius
Apathetic Agnostic
 
Genesius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,583
Originally Posted by Huntster View Post
Oh, I see. You're just trying to use it as a weapon against me.

Sorta like how Satan used the lie on Eve.
Yup. Always fun to point out to believers how they don't follow their own rules.

Quote:
You're quite a guy. Too bad your game doesn't work.
Well, I'm having fun. Sorry if you're not.



Quote:
Thanks, but no thanks. I'm hoping there isn't reserved seating in Hell. I would think I could keep the company I prefer there. I know of several that may be there who I'd prefer to hang with.
Same here. Isaac Asimov, Carl Sagan, Richard Feynman, Albert Einstein. Getting to hang around with great minds would beat plinking on a harp for eternity.


Quote:
Mrs. Huntster has pointed out that I'm such a proficient sinner that there is no way I can remember every one for the confessional.

I'm kinda hoping that I will be judged on my faith and love of God more than my sins (in fact, there is that exact liturgical prayer in the Catholic Mass that I always remember to pray fervently, because I'm relying on it).
I'll take my chances as an honest atheist. I've always said that any God who could condemn any of his creation to eternal punishment isn't worthy of my worship. If I appear before the Throne after my death and it turns out you're faith is the right one I'll make sure to flip God the big, hairy bird before He sends me on my way.
__________________
"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense and to the same extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." - H. L. Mencken
"Why believe in things that make it tough on you?" - Devo, "Love Without Anger"
Genesius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 12:36 PM   #1207
Huntster
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,798
Originally Posted by Genesius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntster
Oh, I see. You're just trying to use it as a weapon against me.

Sorta like how Satan used the lie on Eve.
Yup. Always fun to point out to believers how they don't follow their own rules.
And it's always fun to point out to people like you that they're not my rules, and I'm as human as the next guy (even if he doesn't think so, and considers himself as too powerful to need the Almighty God).

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You're quite a guy. Too bad your game doesn't work.
Well, I'm having fun. Sorry if you're not.
Oh, this isn't bad. At least you're not as unpleasant as Ossai.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, but no thanks. I'm hoping there isn't reserved seating in Hell. I would think I could keep the company I prefer there. I know of several that may be there who I'd prefer to hang with.
Same here. Isaac Asimov, Carl Sagan, Richard Feynman, Albert Einstein. Getting to hang around with great minds would beat plinking on a harp for eternity.
I hope you won't be too disappointed if you don't find them there, or they'd prefer other company, too.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Mrs. Huntster has pointed out that I'm such a proficient sinner that there is no way I can remember every one for the confessional.

I'm kinda hoping that I will be judged on my faith and love of God more than my sins (in fact, there is that exact liturgical prayer in the Catholic Mass that I always remember to pray fervently, because I'm relying on it).
I'll take my chances as an honest atheist. I've always said that any God who could condemn any of his creation to eternal punishment isn't worthy of my worship.
Funny; I would think that an honest atheist wouldn't be thinking that a God who could condemn any of his creation to eternal punishment isn't worthy of his/her worship. He would think that God doesn't exist, not that such a God isn't worthy of his/her worship, understanding, and love.

Sounds to me like you're more angry with God because He didn't set things up the way you'd like, not that you don't believe He exists.

Quote:
If I appear before the Throne after my death and it turns out you're faith is the right one I'll make sure to flip God the big, hairy bird before He sends me on my way.
What a really smart fella you are.

Yeah..........you'll really show Him who's boss then, won't you?
Huntster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 01:07 PM   #1208
Genesius
Apathetic Agnostic
 
Genesius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,583
Originally Posted by Huntster View Post
And it's always fun to point out to people like you that they're not my rules, and I'm as human as the next guy (even if he doesn't think so, and considers himself as too powerful to need the Almighty God).
I don't know if "too powerful" is the right term. I've lived 43 years without God so far and I'm doing OK, so I fail to see any demonstrated need for Him.

Quote:
Oh, this isn't bad. At least you're not as unpleasant as Ossai.
Hmmm. . . gotta try harder.


Quote:
I hope you won't be too disappointed if you don't find them there, or they'd prefer other company, too.
Well, since they were all unbelievers I'd expect them to be there. Tracking them down, and them letting me hang out are different problems.


Quote:
Funny; I would think that an honest atheist wouldn't be thinking that a God who could condemn any of his creation to eternal punishment isn't worthy of his/her worship. He would think that God doesn't exist, not that such a God isn't worthy of his/her worship, understanding, and love.
Nothing about being an atheist prevents me from considering hypothetical situations. Please allow me to amend my comment to "Assuming your preferred version of God is correct, I think any God who could condemn any of his creation to eternal punishment isn't worthy of my worship."

Quote:
Sounds to me like you're more angry with God because He didn't set things up the way you'd like, not that you don't believe He exists.
As above.



Quote:
What a really smart fella you are.

Yeah..........you'll really show Him who's boss then, won't you?
Hey, if I can come up with a creative way to flip Him off, maybe I'll catch Satan's attention. Get noticed as an up & comer. "Better to rule in Hell. . .", ya know.
__________________
"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense and to the same extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." - H. L. Mencken
"Why believe in things that make it tough on you?" - Devo, "Love Without Anger"
Genesius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 01:24 PM   #1209
Huntster
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,798
Originally Posted by Genesius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntster
And it's always fun to point out to people like you that they're not my rules, and I'm as human as the next guy (even if he doesn't think so, and considers himself as too powerful to need the Almighty God).
I don't know if "too powerful" is the right term. I've lived 43 years without God so far and I'm doing OK, so I fail to see any demonstrated need for Him.
Forty-three whole years! My, if you haven't gathered the knowledge and wisdom of the universe by that time, you just haven't been trying.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Funny; I would think that an honest atheist wouldn't be thinking that a God who could condemn any of his creation to eternal punishment isn't worthy of his/her worship. He would think that God doesn't exist, not that such a God isn't worthy of his/her worship, understanding, and love.
Nothing about being an atheist prevents me from considering hypothetical situations. Please allow me to amend my comment to "Assuming your preferred version of God is correct, I think any God who could condemn any of his creation to eternal punishment isn't worthy of my worship."
That doesn't fit the "version" I accept.

As RCC doctrine has written (and I accept), Hell is reserved for those who self-exclude themselves from God.

Like you.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What a really smart fella you are.

Yeah..........you'll really show Him who's boss then, won't you?
Hey, if I can come up with a creative way to flip Him off, maybe I'll catch Satan's attention. Get noticed as an up & comer. "Better to rule in Hell. . .", ya know.
Actually, no; I don't know. Frankly, I know otherwise.

Ever "ruled"? It sucks. I'll pass.
Huntster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 01:39 PM   #1210
Paulhoff
You can't expect perfection.
 
Paulhoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 12,512
So if you haven’t bought into the god thing, you haven’t pick up any knowledge, like children have that believe in a so-called god with all their years of knowledge.

Paul



That only proves to me that being ignorant is a very dangerous thing. But all you do have to be is ignorant to believe in a god.
__________________
For our money "IN WHICH GOD DO YOU TRUST"
Much worse than the Question not asked, is the Answer not Given
Don't accept an answer that can't be questioned - God is Surperfluous
A society fails when ignorance outweighs knowledge
Science doesn’t know everything, but religion doesn’t know anything
Life is so horrent and also so beautiful, but without it there is nothing
Paulhoff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 02:58 PM   #1211
Huntster
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,798
Originally Posted by Paulhoff View Post
So if you haven’t bought into the god thing, you haven’t pick up any knowledge, like children have that believe in a so-called god with all their years of knowledge.
Huh?

Quote:
That only proves to me that being ignorant is a very dangerous thing.
Funny how that proof stuff works around this forum. In one case it's mere evidence, in another case proof isn't squat.

In your case, it's "to me."

Quote:
But all you do have to be is ignorant to believe in a god.
Actually, since "ignore" is the base for the word "ignorant", it's actually the opposite; ignoring God is "ignorant."
Huntster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 03:38 PM   #1212
Paulhoff
You can't expect perfection.
 
Paulhoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 12,512
You can only ignore something that is.

Paul

__________________
For our money "IN WHICH GOD DO YOU TRUST"
Much worse than the Question not asked, is the Answer not Given
Don't accept an answer that can't be questioned - God is Surperfluous
A society fails when ignorance outweighs knowledge
Science doesn’t know everything, but religion doesn’t know anything
Life is so horrent and also so beautiful, but without it there is nothing

Last edited by Paulhoff; 31st October 2006 at 04:23 PM.
Paulhoff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 03:50 PM   #1213
Paulhoff
You can't expect perfection.
 
Paulhoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 12,512
Originally Posted by Huntster View Post
Forty-three whole years! My, if you haven't gathered the knowledge and wisdom of the universe by that time, you just haven't been trying.
So if you haven’t bought into the god thing, you haven’t pick up any knowledge, like children have that believe in a so-called god with all their years of knowledge.

Gee, I thought you could take a leap of faith on understanding this one.

Paul

__________________
For our money "IN WHICH GOD DO YOU TRUST"
Much worse than the Question not asked, is the Answer not Given
Don't accept an answer that can't be questioned - God is Surperfluous
A society fails when ignorance outweighs knowledge
Science doesn’t know everything, but religion doesn’t know anything
Life is so horrent and also so beautiful, but without it there is nothing
Paulhoff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 04:13 PM   #1214
Huntster
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,798
Originally Posted by Paulhoff View Post
You can only ignore something at is.
You can also ignore something because you believe it doesn't exist.
Huntster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 04:18 PM   #1215
Huntster
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,798
Originally Posted by Paulhoff View Post
So if you haven’t bought into the god thing, you haven’t pick up any knowledge, like children have that believe in a so-called god with all their years of knowledge.
I have "bought into" God, I have gained some knowledge, and I still accept God like a child, because I have faith. I have faith because I know I will never be presented with proof in this life, I think I understand why, and I accept the possiblity that this is part of spiritual growth that is required for the next life, which is not physical, and is purely spiritual.

Quote:
Gee, I thought you could take a leap of faith on understanding this one.
It is precisely (and by definition) a lack of understanding which requires either faith or doubt.

Last edited by Huntster; 31st October 2006 at 05:54 PM.
Huntster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 04:27 PM   #1216
Paulhoff
You can't expect perfection.
 
Paulhoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 12,512
A big problem with so-called religious people is that they think they see something that you haven’t seen and or can understand, we do understand, but we grew up and went on with our lives.

Paul



I have not see and or heard of any god made by humankind that that comes from the Middle East that is worth the paper and ink wasted on it.
__________________
For our money "IN WHICH GOD DO YOU TRUST"
Much worse than the Question not asked, is the Answer not Given
Don't accept an answer that can't be questioned - God is Surperfluous
A society fails when ignorance outweighs knowledge
Science doesn’t know everything, but religion doesn’t know anything
Life is so horrent and also so beautiful, but without it there is nothing
Paulhoff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 05:56 PM   #1217
Huntster
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,798
Originally Posted by Paulhoff View Post
A big problem with so-called religious people is that they think they see something that you haven’t seen and or can understand, we do understand, but we grew up and went on with our lives.
What is it that you understand?

Quote:
I have not see and or heard of any god made by humankind that that comes from the Middle East that is worth the paper and ink wasted on it.
The God of Abraham was not made my humankind. It was the reverse.
Huntster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 06:20 PM   #1218
Paulhoff
You can't expect perfection.
 
Paulhoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 12,512
Apparently you can’t read all that was already written before by us, but we understand your blindness, and the so-called God of Abraham was made by humankind, and has been a burden onto humans ever since.

Paul

__________________
For our money "IN WHICH GOD DO YOU TRUST"
Much worse than the Question not asked, is the Answer not Given
Don't accept an answer that can't be questioned - God is Surperfluous
A society fails when ignorance outweighs knowledge
Science doesn’t know everything, but religion doesn’t know anything
Life is so horrent and also so beautiful, but without it there is nothing
Paulhoff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 07:32 PM   #1219
Sceptic Realist
Bad Speller
 
Sceptic Realist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 954
Originally Posted by Huntster View Post
Funny how that proof stuff works around this forum. In one case it's mere evidence, in another case proof isn't squat. In your case, it's "to me."
That's exactly what he said. He was using the phraise "proves TO ME", because he was not implying any hard evidence or fact. "Proves to me" and "this proves that" are two different things entirely.

Originally Posted by Huntster View Post
Actually, since "ignore" is the base for the word "ignorant", it's actually the opposite; ignoring God is "ignorant."
Let's check out the definition of the word, shall we?

ig*no*rant
–adjective
1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
3. uninformed; unaware.
4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

It's ironic that you use the word "ignorant" in your arguments when you're ignorant of what it means. I think you just enjoy fighting with the people on this forum.
Sceptic Realist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 07:45 PM   #1220
Freethinker
Graduate Poster
 
Freethinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,356
Originally Posted by Huntster View Post
The God of Abraham was not made my humankind. It was the reverse.
And your source for this information is....???
__________________
"Did it indeed seem probable, as he had once overheard Dunbar ask, that the answers to the riddles of creation would be supplied by people too ignorant to understand the mechanics of rainfall? Had Almighty God, in all His infinite wisdom, really been afraid that men six thousand years ago would succeed in building a tower to heaven?"

Thoughts of the Chaplain in Heller's Catch-22
Freethinker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 08:27 PM   #1221
Huntster
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,798
Originally Posted by Paulhoff View Post
Apparently you can’t read all that was already written before by us, but we understand your blindness....
I read well, and though my eyes aren't what they used to be, I'm not blind.

Quote:
and the so-called God of Abraham was made by humankind, and has been a burden onto humans ever since.
That is your opinion. I disagree.
Huntster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 08:30 PM   #1222
Huntster
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,798
Originally Posted by Sceptic Realist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntster
Funny how that proof stuff works around this forum. In one case it's mere evidence, in another case proof isn't squat. In your case, it's "to me."
That's exactly what he said. He was using the phraise "proves TO ME", because he was not implying any hard evidence or fact. "Proves to me" and "this proves that" are two different things entirely.
Like I wrote, it's funny how that works.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntster
Actually, since "ignore" is the base for the word "ignorant", it's actually the opposite; ignoring God is "ignorant."
Let's check out the definition of the word, shall we?

ig*no*rant
–adjective
1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
3. uninformed; unaware.
4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

It's ironic that you use the word "ignorant" in your arguments when you're ignorant of what it means.
That is the correct definition. Yet, do you deny that the root of the word "ignorance" is "ignore"?

Quote:
I think you just enjoy fighting with the people on this forum.
No doubt about it. I find arguing with such people very entertaining.
Huntster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 08:31 PM   #1223
Huntster
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,798
Originally Posted by Freethinker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntster
The God of Abraham was not made my humankind. It was the reverse.
And your source for this information is....???
Genesis.
Huntster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 08:54 PM   #1224
I less than three logic
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,463
Originally Posted by Huntster View Post
Genesis.
He’s got you there Freethinker, you forgot to ask for a reliable source.
__________________
“There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.” - Carl Sagan
“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball ninety million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.” – Douglas Adams
I less than three logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 09:21 PM   #1225
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 17,391
Originally Posted by I less than three logic View Post
He’s got you there Freethinker, you forgot to ask for a reliable source.
We know the Bible is a reliable source. It says so right in the Bible.

Steven
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 09:24 PM   #1226
I less than three logic
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,463
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
We know the Bible is a reliable source. It says so right in the Bible.

Steven
Quit using your fancy logic to ruin my jokes.
__________________
“There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.” - Carl Sagan
“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball ninety million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.” – Douglas Adams
I less than three logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 11:31 PM   #1227
Sceptic Realist
Bad Speller
 
Sceptic Realist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 954
Originally Posted by Huntster View Post
Like I wrote, it's funny how that works.
I misunderstood your statement at the time of my reply. Apologies.

Originally Posted by Huntster View Post
That is the correct definition. Yet, do you deny that the root of the word "ignorance" is "ignore"?
Not at all, nor did I do the opposite. I meerly displayed the definition to the word in question, and stated that your use of it was incorrect in context. Someone can have knowledge of something, yet choose to "ignore" it, as you say; this is not the same thing as ignorance. Your statement that he is "ignorant" not to believe in god is false, because he has full knowledge of the concept of god, regardless of the word's root.

Originally Posted by Huntster View Post
No doubt about it. I find arguing with such people very entertaining.
Everyone on these forums has a passion for argument, myself included. I was refering to the way you insulted the entire forum by attacking everyone's sense of "proof" except yours. I saw no reason for this other than to provoke a reaction.

Last edited by Sceptic Realist; 31st October 2006 at 11:39 PM.
Sceptic Realist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 11:41 PM   #1228
Huntster
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,798
Originally Posted by Sceptic Realist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntster
Like I wrote, it's funny how that works.
I was under the impression that you were interpreting his phraise as a statement of fact in general rather than truth to himself. If this is incorrect, I apologize.
No apology needed. I was actually referring to how the word "proof" is so widely used in so many ways on this forum.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntster
That is the correct definition. Yet, do you deny that the root of the word "ignorance" is "ignore"?
Not at all, nor did I do the opposite. I meerly displayed the definition to the word in question, and stated that your use of it was incorrect in context. Someone can have knowledge of something, yet choose to "ignore" it, as you say; this is not the same thing as ignorance. Your statement that he is "ignorant" not to believe in god is false, because he has full knowledge of the concept of god, regardless of the word's root.
Do you think he has "full knowledge of the concept of God"?

If not, would he be "ignorant", especially since he writes with such vitriole regarding that which he may or may not have "full knowledge" of?

Would it be "lacking in knowledge or training, unlearned, lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact, uninformed, or unaware" to write in such a way if he doesn't have "full knowledge of the concept of God"?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntster
No doubt about it. I find arguing with such people very entertaining.
Everyone on these forums has a passion for argument, myself included. I was refering to the way you insulted the entire forum by attacking everyone's sense of "proof" except yours. I saw no reason for this other than to provoke a reaction.
Yet, did I desire that "reaction" from you? I don't know you "from Adam." You chose to react. I wrote to Paulhoff about his statement and the use of the word "proof".

And nowhere did I establish my "sense of proof." I simply stated (and in this post reiterate) how the word proof "evolves" (and does so often) on this forum.
Huntster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 11:46 PM   #1229
Anacoluthon64
Defollyant Iconoclast
 
Anacoluthon64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,018
Originally Posted by Huntster View Post
I have "bought into" God, I have gained some knowledge, and I still accept God like a child, because I have faith. I have faith because I know I will never be presented with proof in this life, I think I understand why, and I accept the possiblity that this is part of spiritual growth that is required for the next life, which is not physical, and is purely spiritual.
Reality. Hard it is. A cushion you will need. The mores with you be, may they.


Originally Posted by Huntster View Post
It is precisely (and by definition) a lack of understanding which requires either faith or doubt.
There's a little-known and rarely used third option: a willingness impartially to find out.

'Luthon64
__________________
"The cynics were watchdogs terrifying malefactors. They tried to expose falseness and conceit. That's why their name is still spoken with a snarl." — Petr Skrabanek, In Defence of Destructive Criticism.
Anacoluthon64 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 12:19 AM   #1230
Sceptic Realist
Bad Speller
 
Sceptic Realist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 954
Originally Posted by Huntster View Post
Do you think he has "full knowledge of the concept of God"?

If not, would he be "ignorant", especially since he writes with such vitriole regarding that which he may or may not have "full knowledge" of?

Would it be "lacking in knowledge or training, unlearned, lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact, uninformed, or unaware" to write in such a way if he doesn't have "full knowledge of the concept of God"?
Your right, I can't speak for him. Also, "full" knowledge is a moot idea (and a poor choice in words by me). If he is aware of the concept of god, the term "ignorant" is rendered false in this argument. If he had no idea what this concept is (had not heard of it), then it would be applicable.

Originally Posted by Huntster View Post
Yet, did I desire that "reaction" from you? I don't know you "from Adam." You chose to react. I wrote to Paulhoff about his statement and the use of the word "proof".
Yup, I chose to react. And had your statement been restricted to Paulhoff's use of the word proof, it would not have been a point raised (by me at least).

Originally Posted by Huntster View Post
And nowhere did I establish my "sense of proof." I simply stated (and in this post reiterate) how the word proof "evolves" (and does so often) on this forum.
Fine. It doesn't change the fact that you stated (twice) that you think people on this forum other than yourself modify their "usage", "concept", "definition", or whatever you want to call it, of "proof." Placing yourself in direct opposition with the rest of the forum is what could very well be considered an insult to these forums.

Last edited by Sceptic Realist; 1st November 2006 at 12:30 AM.
Sceptic Realist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 12:48 AM   #1231
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 26,955
Hey, it's The Atheist break!

Huntster, I see that you've been ruling this thread since page 2, having seen off all the big, bad atheists. I'm not sure which I admire more - your incredible accuracy in doctrine and being able to answer all the atheisms thrown at you, or the stamina of the atheists who keep coming back for another whipping.

I particpated in a televised debate a couple weeks ago and I was up against a fundamental christian and a Catholic school-teacher. The fundie was easy, I kicked him into touch early, while the nun took a bit longer, but eventually had to stop and take a breather in the face of a furious atheistic onslaught. Even at the time, I thought to myself, thank Christ it's not Huntster in that chair - I'd be getting eaten!

Mate, if ever there was someone in a forum who might make me renounce my godless ways (and there isn't) it'd be you. Clearly the best pro-god debater I've had the pleasure to witness!

If you're ever coming down this way, let me know...

(I'll go to Alaska while you're here! ) This must be the most entertaining long-lived thread on JREF.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 06:23 AM   #1232
Ossai
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,452
Huntster
Quote:
Your links are lacking. You've linked a thread which opens with a post from someone else, and the next post of mine reads thus:
I specified threads and the thread I linked to were open to the appropriate pages, not specific posts.

Quote:
Maybe you'd like to try again, child?
Not really, it’s rather pedantic. I was just bringing to the fore that you have lied in the past and providing enough of a start for others to investigate themselves.

Quote:
Sorta like how Satan used the lie on Eve.
There you go making stuff up again. The serpent actually told Eve the truth. It was god that lied. Go read it again.

Ossai
__________________
The other moral to be drawn from the story [of Job] is that if you lead a good virtuous life, God will urge Satan to kill your family for a bet. Perhaps you should try to sin a little now and then, just to keep your children safe.
- Dr Adequate
www.stopsylvia.com
Ossai is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 06:37 AM   #1233
Canadian Malcontent
Arborist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 420
Ossai ,
You are telling us that you have not read the Bible, you cannot do a book report based on the reviews Ossai.

Where does Genesis 1 vary from what we have ourselves observed?

I have heard of the LAW of gravity, never the theory of gravity.

" With the Lord a day is a thousand years and a thousand years a day" (do the math)
Hunstser , Chapter and verse if you will?
Genesis 1:1 " ... and the evening and the morning were the first day."

Oassai please explain HOW you understand the Bible to suggest that a 'day' for the Lord is the same as a day for you?

All, I asked for the lifespan of homo sapiens 10, 15, 25,000 yrs ago. What seems to be the problem? No skeletal remains available for study? Why is that?

Genesius, beautiful qoute.

Sorry for being a bit of a troll ( I just learned what that is in discussion groups and I plead guilty).

I have been advised by Bruto that there are some uh... extreme political efforts being made in America with respect to school curriculum. I recall the same from a decade past when the issue was 'sex ed' and the teaching of homosexuality was being forced on children. do you think that that might have motivated the 'Christians' to draw a line in the sand? I do.

I am grateful to all in here for the discourse we share it nurtures me, gives food for thought.

Your friend,
Canadian Malcontent
Canadian Malcontent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 07:00 AM   #1234
Canadian Malcontent
Arborist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 420
With respect to the Bible being a 'source'. The Bible , King James version is THE foundation of the English language, it is HARD-WIRED in your brain, Drs. Doman and Delicato of the Institute for the Achievement of Human Potential in Philedelphia have published extensively on this topic. ( that of language being instrumental in shaping the human mind, literally, the synapse and their pathways)
If English is your first language then The Holy Bible is literally the foundation of your mind.
How does that grab you?!

Your friend ,
Canadian Malcontent
Canadian Malcontent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 07:00 AM   #1235
Tricky
Briefly immortal
 
Tricky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Group W Bench
Posts: 44,381
Originally Posted by Canadian Malcontent View Post
I have heard of the LAW of gravity, never the theory of gravity.
The "Law" of gravity is actually an equation that quantifies the gravitational force between two objects as being proportional to their combined mass and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. It is a most useful equation. But scientists do not accept it as unalterable truth. They are aware that there may be situations where that equation is insufficient to describe the behavior of gravity, for example, in the proximity of a black hole. It has also been postulated, but not proven, that there may be some sort of "carrier" for gravity called a graviton which you can think of as the equivalent of a photon. There is much we don't know, but each time we learn new things about gravity, they are tested to see how they fit in the overall theory.

Although the word "proof" is thrown about a lot in science, if you dig deeply you will see that there is no such thing as proof in science. There is only evidence. Overwhelming evidence in favor of something is sometimes called "proof", but it is not really.

There is overwhelming evidence for the major aspects of the theory of evolution. The details are still being worked out. The same is true of the theory of gravity.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 07:05 AM   #1236
Paulhoff
You can't expect perfection.
 
Paulhoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 12,512
Isn't fun to write about a mythical being that gives you a son and takes him right back? Gives you free will, so long as you play only by his rules, or he takes his bat and ball and goes home. A god that can make so many different galaxies, stars, planets, life forms, etc. but has only one way to his (big?) heart.

There is a good book, (I didn't finish reading it) called Creation. It is about a guy who lived about 3,000 years ago, who was a religious leader of a cult that had a fire and brimstone god (sound familiar). He travels all over the Old World and meets with people of other religions. Well finally when he is old he gets to India and meets with a Hindu Master. At this time India has been around for thousands of years already. He starts talking to the Hindu Master about his fire and brimstone, all powerful and all knowing god and then the Hindu Master starts to laugh. The Hindu Master says to him that they know all about this fire and brimstone god. That this god doesn't know that he is not the top god of the universe, but just one of the many lesser gods. That there are many gods in higher planes above him, and that these higher gods like to play games with the fire and brimstone god by missing up his plans without him knowing how it is being done. This of course gets this fire and brimstone god mad and the earth quakes and killing start all over again.

Paul

__________________
For our money "IN WHICH GOD DO YOU TRUST"
Much worse than the Question not asked, is the Answer not Given
Don't accept an answer that can't be questioned - God is Surperfluous
A society fails when ignorance outweighs knowledge
Science doesn’t know everything, but religion doesn’t know anything
Life is so horrent and also so beautiful, but without it there is nothing
Paulhoff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 07:15 AM   #1237
Ossai
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,452
Canadian Malcontent
Quote:
Where does Genesis 1 vary from what we have ourselves observed?
Water prior to land (which does fit into ancient cosmology)
1:6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.

Plants prior to the sun Genesis 1:11 thru 1:16

Quote:
Oassai please explain HOW you understand the Bible to suggest that a 'day' for the Lord is the same as a day for you?
Genesis 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
And
Genesis 1:8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
Etcetera throughout the first creation story.

Actually you’ve got an even bigger problem. There are two creation stories in Genesis ch1 and ch2 and they don’t agree with each other as to the order of creation.

Quote:
All, I asked for the lifespan of homo sapiens 10, 15, 25,000 yrs ago. What seems to be the problem? No skeletal remains available for study? Why is that?
OK, you’ve firmly established yourself as being ignorant of anthropology. Yes there are skeletons (fossils) that old. If you want the average life span, go look it up. Quiet easy to find actually try the Smithsonian’s site.

Quote:
I have heard of the LAW of gravity, never the theory of gravity.
OK, so you’re ignorant of physics as well.

Quote:
I recall the same from a decade past when the issue was 'sex ed' and the teaching of homosexuality was being forced on children. do you think that that might have motivated the 'Christians' to draw a line in the sand? I do.
To what exactly are you referring? The sex ed controversy I remember was about teaching children about sex and specifically about safe sex (the use of condoms, etc). I don’t recall homosexuality ever being mentioned in reference to what was taught.

Ossai
__________________
The other moral to be drawn from the story [of Job] is that if you lead a good virtuous life, God will urge Satan to kill your family for a bet. Perhaps you should try to sin a little now and then, just to keep your children safe.
- Dr Adequate
www.stopsylvia.com
Ossai is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 07:26 AM   #1238
Freethinker
Graduate Poster
 
Freethinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,356
Originally Posted by Canadian Malcontent View Post
With respect to the Bible being a 'source'. The Bible , King James version is THE foundation of the English language, it is HARD-WIRED in your brain, Drs. Doman and Delicato of the Institute for the Achievement of Human Potential in Philedelphia have published extensively on this topic. ( that of language being instrumental in shaping the human mind, literally, the synapse and their pathways)
If English is your first language then The Holy Bible is literally the foundation of your mind.
How does that grab you?!

Your friend ,
Canadian Malcontent
How does that grab me? As the ravings of someone who hasn't spent any time thinking. If the bible is the foundation of the mind, then it's no wonder so many people are idiots.
__________________
"Did it indeed seem probable, as he had once overheard Dunbar ask, that the answers to the riddles of creation would be supplied by people too ignorant to understand the mechanics of rainfall? Had Almighty God, in all His infinite wisdom, really been afraid that men six thousand years ago would succeed in building a tower to heaven?"

Thoughts of the Chaplain in Heller's Catch-22

Last edited by Freethinker; 1st November 2006 at 07:35 AM.
Freethinker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 07:31 AM   #1239
Anacoluthon64
Defollyant Iconoclast
 
Anacoluthon64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,018
Originally Posted by Canadian Malcontent View Post
The Bible , King James version is THE foundation of the English language, it is HARD-WIRED in your brain, ...
There's a few carts and several horses. Their succession order is an unholy mess.


Originally Posted by Canadian Malcontent View Post
... Drs. Doman and Delicato of the Institute for the Achievement of Human Potential in Philedelphia have published extensively on this topic. ( that of language being instrumental in shaping the human mind, literally, the synapse and their pathways)
How does the influence of language on the forging of synaptic pathways suddenly imply that language becomes the foundation of mind?


Originally Posted by Canadian Malcontent View Post
If English is your first language then The Holy Bible is literally the foundation of your mind.
The corollary to which is that if the Holy Bible is literally not the foundation of your mind, then English is not your first language. Consequently, there are no atheists, buddhists, wiccans, etc., whose first language is English.

'Luthon64
__________________
"The cynics were watchdogs terrifying malefactors. They tried to expose falseness and conceit. That's why their name is still spoken with a snarl." — Petr Skrabanek, In Defence of Destructive Criticism.
Anacoluthon64 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 07:33 AM   #1240
Freethinker
Graduate Poster
 
Freethinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,356
Originally Posted by Huntster View Post
Genesis.
Well, that's an authoritative source. Harry Potter books would be better, because they don't contradict themselves over and over.
__________________
"Did it indeed seem probable, as he had once overheard Dunbar ask, that the answers to the riddles of creation would be supplied by people too ignorant to understand the mechanics of rainfall? Had Almighty God, in all His infinite wisdom, really been afraid that men six thousand years ago would succeed in building a tower to heaven?"

Thoughts of the Chaplain in Heller's Catch-22
Freethinker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:01 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.