ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 16th January 2007, 04:52 PM   #1
Thunder
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 34,918
Tired of 9-11 Accusations

is it just me...or is anyone else here getting really sick of 9-11 conspiracy theorists accusing NIST, the FBI, the FAA, NORAD, PBS, etc etc...of being liars?

whenever they see evidence that supports the official story...they accuse it of being planted...or a cgi image.

whenever they hear a witness or family member confirm the official story..they accuse them of being a liar...or a paid shill..or an agent.

do they ever provide evidence of intentional lies?..do they ever provide direct evidence of evidence being planted? do they ever provide concrete proof someone is paid off?

no. never. all they do is assume....all they do is accuse. all they do is hypothesize...all they do is jump to conclusions that fit their agenda.

the governmant...is not perfect..they make mistakes...sometimes they even lie. but past lies...and past mistakes...IS NOT evidence of present lies. each accusation...must stand on its own. precident...is not evidence.

i wish 9-11 Truthers...wherever you are...would get just a little self-respect...get a little backbone...and stop accusing anything you see that doesnt fit your agenda..of being a lie...or a plant....or a mole..or an agent..or a shill.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 04:55 PM   #2
The Silver Shadow
Graduate Poster
 
The Silver Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,060
in this day and age where stupid people are more listened to, it's easier to be a nut than an analytical and proficient human being...
The Silver Shadow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 04:55 PM   #3
Arkan_Wolfshade
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,154
Yes, it makes me fear for my life should I ever end up in court with a jury deciding my fate.
Arkan_Wolfshade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 04:55 PM   #4
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing
 
Oliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,396
Originally Posted by parky76 View Post
is it just me...or is anyone else here getting really sick of 9-11 conspiracy theorists accusing NIST, the FBI, the FAA, NORAD, PBS, etc etc...of being liars?

whenever they see evidence that supports the official story...they accuse it of being planted...or a cgi image.

whenever they hear a witness or family member confirm the official story..they accuse them of being a liar...or a paid shill..or an agent.

do they ever provide evidence of intentional lies?..do they ever provide direct evidence of evidence being planted? do they ever provide concrete proof someone is paid off?

no. never. all they do is assume....all they do is accuse. all they do is hypothesize...all they do is jump to conclusions that fit their agenda.

the governmant...is not perfect..they make mistakes...sometimes they even lie. but past lies...and past mistakes...IS NOT evidence of present lies. each accusation...must stand on its own. precident...is not evidence.

i wish 9-11 Truthers...wherever you are...would get just a little self-respect...get a little backbone...and stop accusing anything you see that doesnt fit your agenda..of being a lie...or a plant....or a mole..or an agent..or a shill.
To me itīs the american "free" speech. A completely different
opinion about the same issue at every corner. And i didnīt
even mention the internet...
Oliver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 04:57 PM   #5
Arkan_Wolfshade
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,154
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
To me itīs the american "free" speech. A completely different
opinion about the same issue at every corner. And i didnīt
even mention the internet...
I agree that it certainly feeds in to it. Couple that with a nation that is, by civilization standard, just out of its rebellious teens, and a citizenry whose culture has been formed by that; and you have a recipe for - well, for what we have (whatever that is).
Arkan_Wolfshade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 05:02 PM   #6
A W Smith
Philosopher
 
A W Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,032
Originally Posted by parky76 View Post
is it just me...or is anyone else here getting really sick of 9-11 conspiracy theorists accusing NIST, the FBI, the FAA, NORAD, PBS, etc etc...of being liars?
I'm not. I'm beginning to find it entertaining. Its like watching jacka**. Only they are doing stupid stunts with their brains. Why do you think Jay Lenos 'jayWalkers" is so popular?
A W Smith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 05:09 PM   #7
Zep
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 26,699
I rather prefer to go with Hal Bidlack's philosophy: In such cases, MORE reasoned public discussion, not less, will serve to dispel their absurd notions.
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 05:18 PM   #8
The Demon's Head
Crime cannot be tolerated
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,416
I do wonder if the 9/11 Deniers are indeed committing slander and libel by spreading their false accusations only to further their political or personal gain.
__________________

The Demon's Head is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 05:34 PM   #9
The Silver Shadow
Graduate Poster
 
The Silver Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,060
I think it can be agreed to that 9/11 deniers have the mindset of a child: they only see one perspective, and that is their own. If they see another perspective that doesn't agree with theirs, they will cry, but in the case of 9/11 deniers, it's the fact that they're only lies...
The Silver Shadow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 05:34 PM   #10
Thunder
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 34,918
its slander and libel on a mass scale. just like holocaust denial.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 05:44 PM   #11
PerryLogan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 980
A conspiracy guy's life is one endless false accusation--always without a shred of proof. I say we kill 'em.

Mod WarningPlease let's not make threats, even generalized ones.
Posted By:Lisa Simpson

Last edited by Lisa Simpson; 16th January 2007 at 06:04 PM.
PerryLogan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 06:39 PM   #12
hellaeon
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,488
I reckon this part of the forum must be pretty much a job for the moderators!
hellaeon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 06:48 PM   #13
Thunder
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 34,918
i prefer a huge, mass, city-wide "shut the hell up".

they need to be put in their place....like the children that they are
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 07:24 PM   #14
Guile
Student
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 45
The only good CTist is a...

Originally Posted by PerryLogan View Post
A conspiracy guy's life is one endless false accusation--always without a shred of proof. I say we kill 'em.

Mod WarningPlease let's not make threats, even generalized ones.
Posted By:Lisa Simpson
"I say we kill 'em all!"

img99.imageshack.us/img99/5160/tattoo03copytl8.jpg
Guile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 07:26 PM   #15
hellaeon
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,488
I admit its frustrating, but by abusing them or even threatening them, its pretty much the same tact as them, however we do it out of frustration, they do it because they wont admit their pet theory (depends who you speak to) is wrong when confronted with the facts that normally (9/10 CT theories) show their theory to be utterly wrong.

For that 1/10 there is a legitimate misunderstanding of facts or they are told something believable enough but they are told the wrong thing. I cant think of any examples of the top of my noggin.

I think the approach by Ron Wieck (pomeroo) is good, debate them live on TV on a moderated and neutral setting. This is where they fail. Ron hides nothing of his disdain for the 9/11 CT's out there but will only allow sensible and neutral discussion on his show. Eventually we may see a huge debate where lots of people will be involved and it will awake the sleeping giant of logic out there.
hellaeon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 07:33 PM   #16
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall
 
Brainache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 17,282
Originally Posted by parky76 View Post
i prefer a huge, mass, city-wide "shut the hell up".

they need to be put in their place....like the children that they are
Yes I believe FEMA have decided to rename their death camps. They are now to be known as "Naughty Camps" or "Time Out Zones".

The CIA/NWO disinfo departments shall henceforth be known as the "Nanny Knows Best" departments.

Any claims of CD at the WTC or standowns at NORAD will be met with a loosening of the belt and warnings of "This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you..."
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 07:53 PM   #17
PerryLogan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 980
Here's me, eating my words again.

I was totally kidding. My bad.

Is this where Randi turns me into a newt?
PerryLogan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 07:55 PM   #18
JimBenArm
Based on a true story!
 
JimBenArm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 13,092
Originally Posted by PerryLogan View Post
Here's me, eating my words again.

I was totally kidding. My bad.

Is this where Randi turns me into a newt?
A newt?

Looks like you got better.
__________________
"JimBenArm is right" Hokulele Mom
JimBenArm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 07:57 PM   #19
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall
 
Brainache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 17,282
Originally Posted by JimBenArm View Post
A newt?

Looks like you got better.
I'd have to see a picture of the newt to be sure.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 09:21 PM   #20
pagan
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 399
Originally Posted by parky76 View Post
is it just me....

Yes, it is just you.

Or will be pretty soon. You guys are in the minority since quite a while. Zogby polls etc have made that clear.
pagan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 09:24 PM   #21
Anti-sophist
Graduate Poster
 
Anti-sophist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,542
Originally Posted by pagan View Post
Yes, it is just you.

Or will be pretty soon. You guys are in the minority since quite a while. Zogby polls etc have made that clear.
Hahahah. I love it when they distort the truth to make themselves feel like other people agree with them. It strikes to the very heart of their psychology.
__________________
A witty saying proves nothing. -Voltaire
Anti-sophist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 09:40 PM   #22
anticonspiracy911
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 356
Originally Posted by parky76 View Post
is it just me...or is anyone else here getting really sick of 9-11 conspiracy theorists accusing NIST, the FBI, the FAA, NORAD, PBS, etc etc...of being liars?

whenever they see evidence that supports the official story...they accuse it of being planted...or a cgi image.

whenever they hear a witness or family member confirm the official story..they accuse them of being a liar...or a paid shill..or an agent.

do they ever provide evidence of intentional lies?..do they ever provide direct evidence of evidence being planted? do they ever provide concrete proof someone is paid off?

no. never. all they do is assume....all they do is accuse. all they do is hypothesize...all they do is jump to conclusions that fit their agenda.

the governmant...is not perfect..they make mistakes...sometimes they even lie. but past lies...and past mistakes...IS NOT evidence of present lies. each accusation...must stand on its own. precident...is not evidence.

i wish 9-11 Truthers...wherever you are...would get just a little self-respect...get a little backbone...and stop accusing anything you see that doesnt fit your agenda..of being a lie...or a plant....or a mole..or an agent..or a shill.

I'm tired of cynicism in general. I'm tired of every view being just as valid as the next. There is no more burden of proof. You can spout anything that seems plausible to the imagination and it will turn into a possibility of truth. But plausibility does not equate to truth. I got a phamplet tonight at my workplace from a religious person that asks "if christ is the answer?" I mean there are nutcases running around out there pushing their fictional viewpoints on people and this can't be acceptable, even in a free society. Free speech is sacred, but when you use it to facilitate fiction into verisimilitude that is when paranoia sets in and delusional thinking overcomes us once more.
anticonspiracy911 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 09:56 PM   #23
hellaeon
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,488
Originally Posted by anticonspiracy911 View Post
I'm tired of cynicism in general. I'm tired of every view being just as valid as the next. There is no more burden of proof. You can spout anything that seems plausible to the imagination and it will turn into a possibility of truth. But plausibility does not equate to truth. I got a phamplet tonight at my workplace from a religious person that asks "if christ is the answer?" I mean there are nutcases running around out there pushing their fictional viewpoints on people and this can't be acceptable, even in a free society. Free speech is sacred, but when you use it to facilitate fiction into verisimilitude that is when paranoia sets in and delusional thinking overcomes us once more.
I hear you! 100% agree! You lord of all fevers and plagues! Amen to this. I cant put it any better. It absolutely irks me.
hellaeon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 10:12 PM   #24
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006
 
Spindrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Right here!
Posts: 19,246
Originally Posted by anticonspiracy911 View Post
I'm tired of cynicism in general. I'm tired of every view being just as valid as the next. There is no more burden of proof. You can spout anything that seems plausible to the imagination and it will turn into a possibility of truth. But plausibility does not equate to truth. I got a phamplet tonight at my workplace from a religious person that asks "if christ is the answer?" I mean there are nutcases running around out there pushing their fictional viewpoints on people and this can't be acceptable, even in a free society. Free speech is sacred, but when you use it to facilitate fiction into verisimilitude that is when paranoia sets in and delusional thinking overcomes us once more.
What I find amazing is that every time one of them finds something "new", someone chimes in with some outlandish suggestion and according to the CTers Creed, no CTers says "boy that's stupid". Even when you get criticism it's couched in language that implies that any idea no matter how dumb is worthy of consideration.

There's a thread on LC about thermite:
http://z10.invisionfree.com/Loose_Ch...showtopic=2610

Some clown (antipodean) suggests that the airliner may have been "laced" with thermite, which explains why the "mysterious disintegration" of the plane.

Wartrac points out the obvious that that would mean the airlines were involved but then says, "this is a little too over the top. Not that the idea itself isn't possible".

It's a STUPID suggestion, why can't they just call it what it is? Their ability to go out of their way to ignore Occam's Razor is just mind-boggling.
__________________
I've always believed that cluelessness evolved as an adaptation to allow the truly appalling to live with themselves. - G. B. Trudeau
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Kay, Men in Black.
Enjoy every sandwich. - Warren Zevon
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 10:25 PM   #25
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing
 
beachnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dog House
Posts: 25,291
Originally Posted by pagan View Post
Yes, it is just you.
Or will be pretty soon. You guys are in the minority since quite a while. Zogby polls etc have made that clear.
It takes a truther to use polls instead of facts. Like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Shall I point out in history when the smart one was polled to death or silenced by the DUMB ones. Like; 1610 Galileo argued with facts a sun-centered (facts based) vs. an earth-centered Ptolemaic and Aristotelian theories (like the non-fact truth movement).

You flat earth like CTer turthers are nut cases who are ready to be dumb and go back to the middle ages so you can vote down reason and facts and go with a POLL?

Good Job; proves the truth movement is deficient of all reason.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 10:27 PM   #26
Thunder
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 34,918
Pagan- and what exactly did the Zogby poll say? that a certain percentage of americans dont believe the governmant is being totally forthcoming about 9-11? even i believe that!!!

i believe the governmant failed us..failed to put the chips together...failed to imagine the "unimaginable". but that doesnt mean, in any way, that I, nor the people in that Zogby poll, believe that 9-11 was inside job.

9-11 was carried out by crazy islamic extremists bent on creating a confrontation between islam and the west. all the evidence points to this...and they are even considered heroes by a vocal minority in the muslem world.

if you think islamic extremists dont hate you...then you really need to wake up.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 10:36 PM   #27
Rahne Everson
Critical Thinker
 
Rahne Everson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 277
Originally Posted by anticonspiracy911 View Post
I'm tired of cynicism in general. I'm tired of every view being just as valid as the next. There is no more burden of proof. You can spout anything that seems plausible to the imagination and it will turn into a possibility of truth. But plausibility does not equate to truth. I got a phamplet tonight at my workplace from a religious person that asks "if christ is the answer?" I mean there are nutcases running around out there pushing their fictional viewpoints on people and this can't be acceptable, even in a free society. Free speech is sacred, but when you use it to facilitate fiction into verisimilitude that is when paranoia sets in and delusional thinking overcomes us once more.
Totally agree. Kudos.

Sure something LOOKS like it COULD be true, but IS it true? True, everyone loves a good mystery with intrigue and espionage and murder and what have you, and really that's what all conspiracy theories ever boil down to. What we "know" is deception and distortion, to make it more mundane to hide the vast mystery behind the curtian. And people are so voraciously attracted to that. Do I even need to mention some Renaissance Italian and his famous Biblical painting? And the hundreds of books on BOTH sides of the argument?

The fact of the matter is that the deception is what's going backstage, while the actors out front are bringing you unscripted entertainment. To me, history is far more interesting by itself that I don't need to conjure a conspiracy to keep my attention.

Quote:
Shall I point out in history when the smart one was polled to death or silenced by the DUMB ones. Like; 1610 Galileo argued with facts a sun-centered (facts based) vs. an earth-centered Ptolemaic and Aristotelian theories (like the non-fact truth movement).


Any idiot can make something more complex, but the real thinkers are the ones who make things simplier. (Paraphased by one of Einstein's quotes I believe.)

Last edited by Rahne Everson; 16th January 2007 at 10:41 PM.
Rahne Everson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 10:37 PM   #28
anticonspiracy911
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 356
Originally Posted by hellaeon View Post
I hear you! 100% agree! You lord of all fevers and plagues! Amen to this. I cant put it any better. It absolutely irks me.
Thank you.
anticonspiracy911 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 10:44 PM   #29
anticonspiracy911
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 356
Originally Posted by Rahne Everson View Post
Totally agree. Kudos.

Sure something LOOKS like it COULD be true, but IS it true? True, everyone loves a good mystery with intrigue and espionage and murder and what have you, and really that's what all conspiracy theories ever boil down to. What we "know" is deception and distortion, to make it more mundane to hide the vast mystery behind the curtian. And people are so voraciously attracted to that. Do I even need to mention some Renaissance Italian and his famous Biblical painting? And the hundreds of books on BOTH sides of the argument?

The fact of the matter is that the deception is what's going backstage, while the actors out front are bringing you unscripted entertainment. To me, history is far more interesting by itself that I don't need to conjure a conspiracy to keep my attention.
It's the same with religion and alien arguments. There has been no proof of a supernatural being dictating our lives on earth unless you define god as the laws of the universe or laws of nature. And if there was a supernatural being why would he create people that he would despise? I think people want to find comfort for not confronting a person they fear or are baffled by so they want a hierarchy. They want a systematic purging of the evil after life so they feel as if their efforts during life were worthwhiled.

As for the alien arguments, I'd love to fancy the idea of communicating or coming into contact with extraterrestrials, but as of now there has been no substantial evidence to fancy such a notion. Sure the absence of evidence does not mean that the evidence is absent, but why should I cave in and turn it into fact? To be honest I used to be duped. I used to buy into the Buddhism method of all of us being unconciously connected. But it's a load of conjecture and pure ********. I'd rather take the world and it's history for what it is rather than speculating and persisting in delusion.
anticonspiracy911 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 10:47 PM   #30
Thunder
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 34,918
i actually do believe that aliens have been buzzing the earth over the last hundred years or so....but its not something that i spend much time thinking about.

as to the existanc of "God"...arent there those tho claim that the guiding force behind evolution...is infact God? i personally like how that sounds...because it makes science AND religion part of the same lovely fabric of our existance.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 10:49 PM   #31
anticonspiracy911
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 356
I love Einstein and I found a perfect quote for conspiracy theorists.


"The truth of a theory can never be proven, for one never knows if future experience will contradict its conclusions." The New Quotable Einstein P225
anticonspiracy911 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 10:51 PM   #32
anticonspiracy911
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 356
Originally Posted by parky76 View Post
i actually do believe that aliens have been buzzing the earth over the last hundred years or so....but its not something that i spend much time thinking about.

as to the existanc of "God"...arent there those tho claim that the guiding force behind evolution...is infact God? i personally like how that sounds...because it makes science AND religion part of the same lovely fabric of our existance.

Personal preference and truth are two seperate things.
anticonspiracy911 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 11:01 PM   #33
Stellafane
Village Idiot.
 
Stellafane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,660
Originally Posted by parky76 View Post
is it just me...or is anyone else here getting really sick of 9-11 conspiracy theorists accusing NIST, the FBI, the FAA, NORAD, PBS, etc etc...of being liars?...
No, it's not just you. I too grew really, really tired of being reminded that there were these people spewing such repugnant, vicious, slanderous, disrespectful swill, people who compounded their monumental collective stupidity, insanity, ignorance, and immaturity into a singularly noxious pile of sewage. More than tired, actually...I'd say downright exhausted, to the point where I just didn't want to be exposed to it anymore, I'm just not equipped with the patience and courage to deal with the level of frustration and rage they engendered in me.

But after I while I grew curious as to the latest state of affairs, so now I'm more or less back. And unless I miss my guess, I think the whole 9/11 conspiracy thing is basically over. Oh, it's still got a little dead-man-walking momentum behind it. But from the looks of things, I'm guessing that in a few months, this whole "movement" will consist of little more than a few hard-core lunatics and the occasional socially-arrested teenager looking for a little significance in his otherwise empty life. This is the 14th minute of their alloted period of fame.
__________________
Another Shameless Googlebomb Plug for www.stopsylvia.com
Stellafane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 11:04 PM   #34
Thunder
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 34,918
i just really hope the fbi finally releases some footage of a plane hitting the pentagon. you can actually see it in that 1st pentagon security camera...but a better image would shut up some of the non-hard core truthers.

but just as there will always be folks who think jfk was killed by the cia...and folks who think the moon landinds didnt happen..and folks who think aliens landed in roswell, there will always be a lunatic fringe who thinks bush shot the wtc with a giant "laser".
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 11:07 PM   #35
Rahne Everson
Critical Thinker
 
Rahne Everson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 277
Originally Posted by anticonspiracy911 View Post
It's the same with religion and alien arguments. There has been no proof of a supernatural being dictating our lives on earth unless you define god as the laws of the universe or laws of nature. And if there was a supernatural being why would he create people that he would despise? I think people want to find comfort for not confronting a person they fear or are baffled by so they want a hierarchy. They want a systematic purging of the evil after life so they feel as if their efforts during life were worthwhiled.

As for the alien arguments, I'd love to fancy the idea of communicating or coming into contact with extraterrestrials, but as of now there has been no substantial evidence to fancy such a notion. Sure the absence of evidence does not mean that the evidence is absent, but why should I cave in and turn it into fact? To be honest I used to be duped. I used to buy into the Buddhism method of all of us being unconciously connected. But it's a load of conjecture and pure ********. I'd rather take the world and it's history for what it is rather than speculating and persisting in delusion.
Bleh, God. I have my own philosophical interpretations of the lastet ideas from the theoretical physics grabbag, and I believe in a higher order to the universe constructed from the laws of nature that work together in seamless harmony with each other. Science provides provides plenty of arguments that show how order forms from chaos. But, practically, that about as much as my "religious" feelings go.

No need for God in that in my book. Anyone who thinks there was an "intelligent designer" to the universe because it so "fine-tuned" to "human life" is shortshrifting themselves in the imagination department in my opinion. As for sentient aliens, given the size of the universe they must exist somewhere, but I think they have better things to be doing than flying around on Earth messing with some farmer's livestock.

Science and critical thinking is all I really need to go about my daily life. Loving Jesus or awaiting the coming of Marklar doesn't get me through 8 hours of screaming children at the library.
Rahne Everson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2007, 11:46 PM   #36
anticonspiracy911
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 356
Originally Posted by Rahne Everson View Post
Bleh, God. I have my own philosophical interpretations of the lastet ideas from the theoretical physics grabbag, and I believe in a higher order to the universe constructed from the laws of nature that work together in seamless harmony with each other. Science provides provides plenty of arguments that show how order forms from chaos. But, practically, that about as much as my "religious" feelings go.

No need for God in that in my book. Anyone who thinks there was an "intelligent designer" to the universe because it so "fine-tuned" to "human life" is shortshrifting themselves in the imagination department in my opinion. As for sentient aliens, given the size of the universe they must exist somewhere, but I think they have better things to be doing than flying around on Earth messing with some farmer's livestock.

Science and critical thinking is all I really need to go about my daily life. Loving Jesus or awaiting the coming of Marklar doesn't get me through 8 hours of screaming children at the library.
Ah, where would we be without science?
anticonspiracy911 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 12:06 AM   #37
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere
 
gumboot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 25,327
Originally Posted by A W Smith View Post
I'm not. I'm beginning to find it entertaining. Its like watching jacka**. Only they are doing stupid stunts with their brains. Why do you think Jay Lenos 'jayWalkers" is so popular?

I have to agree. At first I enjoyed the mental exercises and challenge of researching new claims and learning the information. Once I covered all of the CT claims it got boring. Then the CTers became insane and aggressive, and that wasn't fun.

But this latest breed are displaying such sheer mind-blowing acts of analytical retardation that I honestly find it pretty entertaining. I'm always wondering what little mental gem they will come up with next.

-Gumboot
__________________

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tęde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.


A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 01:09 AM   #38
Rahne Everson
Critical Thinker
 
Rahne Everson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 277
Originally Posted by anticonspiracy911 View Post
Ah, where would we be without science?
A dark, dark place with no computer and no soda. It would make Rahne something something.
Rahne Everson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 05:41 AM   #39
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 87,107
Originally Posted by gumboot View Post
I have to agree. At first I enjoyed the mental exercises and challenge of researching new claims and learning the information. Once I covered all of the CT claims it got boring. Then the CTers became insane and aggressive, and that wasn't fun.

But this latest breed are displaying such sheer mind-blowing acts of analytical retardation that I honestly find it pretty entertaining. I'm always wondering what little mental gem they will come up with next.

-Gumboot
Same here. It's like a pro hockey team against intellectually-challenged toddlers. Unfair, but bloody and fun.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 06:33 AM   #40
Arkan_Wolfshade
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,154
Originally Posted by pagan View Post
Yes, it is just you.

Or will be pretty soon. You guys are in the minority since quite a while. Zogby polls etc have made that clear.
Quote:
Argumentum ad populum
This is another instance of a fallacy of relevance. For example:
You say that raising taxes will result in better public services, but hardly anyone believes that these days.
The problem here is that the number of people believing in an idea has no impact on its truth. An interesting other example shows this nicely: a common presumption, it seems, is that people in the past almost universally believed the earth to be flat, while we now know that it isn't. The fact that so many people allegedly believed that it was flat didn't change the shape of the earth accordingly, and if someone in those days had asserted that "everyone says the earth is flat" in defence of that claim then we would say that this didn't make it so: no amount of belief in a false idea can make it true. The irony is that historical inquiry teaches us that this example is also false, even though plenty of people seem to believe it: the belief in a flat earth was not widespread and the studies of historians have overturned this myth, even though many still hold to it.
The general form is as follows:
P1: A is claimed;
P2: x many people believe that A is false, where x is large;
C: Therefore, A is false.
Reading beyond this argument, we can see that there are hidden assumptions to do with the ability of people to determine the truth of such questions on their own. For example:
P1: A is claimed;
P2: A majority of people is able to judge questions outside their area of expertise or knowledge with a high degree of validity;
P3: It is possible to accurately gauge the collective opinion of people on such matters;
P4: x many people believe that A is false, where x is a majority;
C: Therefore, A is false.
Even here there are still presuppositions that remain implicit and could be drawn out by further analysis. Appealing to the masses—which is what the Latin term means—is irrelevant to the truth or otherwise of the claim. There are more complicated examples we could consider, like this one:
You shouldn't use racist language because almost everyone thinks it's wrong to do so.
Here a normative moral claim ("you shouldn't use racist language") is justified by appealing to the number of people who agree with it. Is this an argumentum ad populum, though? As we saw in our discussion of ethics, some moral thinkers suggest that issues of right and wrong are decided by intersubjective agreement; in that case, the claim would actually read something like this:
P1: Moral issues are decided by intersubjective agreement;
P2: Intersubjective agreement suggests that racist language is wrong;
C: Therefore, it is wrong to use racist language.
Put in this form, it seems like a reasonable argument to make. For those who disagree about intersubjective agreement, however, P1 would be disputed and the attempt to justify the conclusion by appealing to P2 would be regarded as fallacious.
A slightly different version of this fallacy is the appeal to tradition, where reference is made not to the number of people who hold a belief but the (alleged) fact that it has been believed for so long (or that the belief is an integral part of a society or culture) that to question it is folly. For example:
You say we should no longer have a nuclear deterrent, but there has always been war and always will be and we need to be able to defend ourselves.
Here the traditional belief among a significant number of people that war is a reality of life is used to justify a claim about defence requirements. However, this is not obvious and needs to be argued in turn; the fact (even if true) that people have always believed war to be an inevitability of life does not make it so, nor does the number of people who might believe it now or in the future. Once again, though, the matter is much more subtle: this could be a self-fulfilling prophecy, since if a majority of people feel war to be inevitable then they may be less likely to avoid it than those who are convinced just as surely that there is always a peaceful solution to any potential conflict. Appealing to tradition may be a reasonable thing to do if the tradition is true.
In summary, the argumentum ad populum uses numbers to support claims when an inductive justification is insufficient to prove them.
http://www.galilean-library.org/int16.html#ad_populum
Arkan_Wolfshade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:58 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.