ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd September 2008, 02:37 AM   #1
jimmygun
Graduate Poster

Where can I go?

Does anyone know of a Christian site where you can ask the hard questions and get some sort of answer without being booted out?
Old 3rd September 2008, 02:46 AM   #2
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by jimmygun View Post
Does anyone know of a Christian site where you can ask the hard questions and get some sort of answer without being booted out?
Depends what kind of questions do you want answers to?
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2008, 02:50 AM   #3
Professor Yaffle
Butterbeans and Breadcrumbs

I haven't read much on their forums, but the SCM (Student Christian Movement) are one of the groups more open to questioning. When I was at university, they were the opposite of the intolerant Christian Union.

http://www.movement.org.uk/index.cfm?method=forum.home
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2008, 03:35 AM   #4
jimmygun
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle View Post
I haven't read much on their forums, but the SCM (Student Christian Movement) are one of the groups more open to questioning. When I was at university, they were the opposite of the intolerant Christian Union.

http://www.movement.org.uk/index.cfm?method=forum.home
Thanks for the link Professor. I took some time to read the posts from that forum, to get the lay of the land so to speak. They seem to be an open minded group, one that would'nt mind a bit of back and forth banter so I joined up. Here is a copy of my first post...

" Hello everyone. First time poster here. I am a bit off my beaten path, in that I am an atheist on a Christian forum. I was wondering if you would like to get to know me. I don’t pretend to speak for anyone else than myself and I am not a paying member of any organization.

I would welcome your questions and I will try to answer them as honestly and as straight forward as I can.

A bit of my history...

I am sixty years old, retired, and have been married most of my life (38 years) to a wonderful, devout Roman Catholic. I have two children (girl and boy) and my daughter has recently given my wife and I a fabulous, wonderful, perfect, bouncing, chubby little girl!

I sometimes lean toward humour (I take very little in this life seriously) but will attempt to conduct myself in a fitting manner.

Jimmygun "

I posted yesterday around 6:30-7:00pm but so far nothing but the sound of one hand clapping. I will post any replies here if and when they come.
Old 4th September 2008, 03:48 AM   #5
Professor Yaffle
Butterbeans and Breadcrumbs

Actually, after a proper look at it, I don't anticipate you will get many replies. It seems a very quiet forum with posts few and far between.
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2008, 05:52 AM   #6
Blackadder
Muse

Hi Jimmy, a good question. I have looked for the same. I would advise you to try your luck at some Christian sites based in the United Kingdom domain instead of the USA. Maybe it's just my bias but I found them open for discussion. I admit I know little about USA Christians, and most I hear is very negative so that is the basis of my prejudice.

I just did a Google search on 'Christianity forum' and as country only sites in Uk'

(you still get a lot of chaff, so among the results that turn up you must browse a bit to find something you look for. Some seem just to be places where Christians pat each ther on the back, but you should be able to find people open for discussion)
Blackadder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2008, 06:42 AM   #7
Arthur Denton
Muse

Are you planning on trolling or in honest investigation? You should ask a local priest, I think. Avoid to do so in private, you may end seduced.
Old 4th September 2008, 08:18 AM   #8
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Also "Christian" is a very broad term. Any particular flavor of Christianity that interests you? On some issues, the differences can be stark.

As has been mentioned, you should probably approach a priest, minister or other representative of the kind of Christianity you're interested in.
Old 4th September 2008, 10:29 AM   #9
-Fran-
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Arthur Denton View Post
Are you planning on trolling or in honest investigation? You should ask a local priest, I think. Avoid to do so in private, you may end seduced.
You mean seduction of a more carnal kind here?
Old 4th September 2008, 10:53 AM   #10
Arthur Denton
Muse

Originally Posted by -Fran- View Post
You mean seduction of a more carnal kind here?
Course. Never trust a priest these days.
Old 4th September 2008, 10:56 AM   #11
-Fran-
Master Poster

I thought it was just the choir boys that were in danger?
Old 4th September 2008, 03:39 PM   #12
jimmygun
Graduate Poster

I sincerely would like to see if someone out there has a different take on their religion or if they are all the same. I am interested in how and why someone came to religion and how and why they feel they benifit. At the same time I am outing myself in the hopes that some group of people will get to know the atheist side of me. There is so much propaganda and misinformation about atheism that I thought I might present a 'get to know an atheist' venue. As I said, I don't speak for anyone but myself but in doing so, with others, I think I have given something to think about. I am not out to convert.
Old 5th September 2008, 07:39 AM   #13
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Ahhh, ask some good questions, like, if the human gains a soul at the moment of conception, where does the extra soul go when the two embryos merge?

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2008, 08:45 AM   #14
pchams
Muse

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Ahhh, ask some good questions, like, if the human gains a soul at the moment of conception, where does the extra soul go when the two embryos merge?
Oh come on. That one is too easy.
They blend together for an average, just like colours.

pchams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2008, 07:46 AM   #15
Arthur Denton
Muse

I thought it was just the choir boys that were in danger?
Would you risk yourself?

I sincerely would like to see if someone out there has a different take on their religion or if they are all the same. I am interested in how and why someone came to religion and how and why they feel they benifit. At the same time I am outing myself in the hopes that some group of people will get to know the atheist side of me. There is so much propaganda and misinformation about atheism that I thought I might present a 'get to know an atheist' venue. As I said, I don't speak for anyone but myself but in doing so, with others, I think I have given something to think about. I am not out to convert.
From my personal experience, if you just pick up your car and roam through the country, you'll find different religious experience on the same groups of religious people. I'm catholic born, atheist, then wicca, then I thought again (thousands of times) and decided to prove stuff, hence, skeptic. I know, in the church, priests who support condom, ex-priests who campaign for priest marriage, people who believe it ain't a sin to have pre-marital sex and people who think all of that above is hideous, depending from where they come from, mostly (education helps out a lot). And since most of the people I know who love the church are literate but have never read and studied the bible, their opinion on the prophets and the role of each piece in god's chess board varies an AWESOME lot. You'll get confused.

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Originally Posted by pchams View Post
Oh come on. That one is too easy.
They blend together for an average, just like colours.
Can the sperm be frozen? Is the vacuum real? Are there other dimensions? If your dog dies, does he go to heaven too? What if your brain is implanted on a robot, then, and then you die on a combat, are you already in heaven when your body and heart failed or when the robot was destroyed? What is best, scientology or faith healing? Both? Who wins the next quiddich cup? Why is the sky blue? Why can't we see ghosts? Why can't the pope bang? Why is hereditary power still looked at as rightful if often your son hates what you do and is good at something completely different altogether? Why do people prefer ferraris to lamborghinis? Why do Michael Schumacher wins better than Ayrton Senna, and still, Ayrton Senna is worshipped a ton more? Why has Hitler killed a heckload of people and there are some people who deny the holocaust? Why George Bush was re-elected? Why... and so on?
Old 7th September 2008, 07:54 AM   #16
-Fran-
Master Poster

Would you risk yourself?
I am 38 years old. I think I can handle a horny priest!
Old 7th September 2008, 10:20 AM   #17
Arthur Denton
Muse

Disturbing.
Old 7th September 2008, 10:34 AM   #18
-Fran-
Master Poster

Disturbing.
What?
Old 7th September 2008, 10:43 AM   #19
Arthur Denton
Muse

A horny priest.
Old 7th September 2008, 11:03 AM   #20
-Fran-
Master Poster

A horny priest.
Nah, really, I wouldn't say that. I mean they are only humans after all and should be able to be as horny as all the rest us. A priest who directs that horniness to minors, or to anyone else who has expressed a wish not to be the subject of said horniness though - that is a disturbing priest.
Old 8th September 2008, 01:31 AM   #21
Sunstealer
Illuminator

He's 38 not 3-8 years old.
Sunstealer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2008, 07:36 AM   #22
Arthur Denton
Muse

Nah, really, I wouldn't say that. I mean they are only humans after all and should be able to be as horny as all the rest us. A priest who directs that horniness to minors, or to anyone else who has expressed a wish not to be the subject of said horniness though - that is a disturbing priest.
No, they're holy and blessed by the bible teachings. Nothing should shake their beliefs! They're the true blessed. INRI Christ said that his sexuality was removed by his father when the true gawd told him to bow down in prayer, and he sent the orgasm through his vertebrae. True story. Google for Inri Christ. In Portuguese, I'm afraid. Priests should have that power too, they can't falter into taking hare of their sheep.

Horny priest. Pfeh! Preposterous.
Old 8th September 2008, 07:47 AM   #23
-Fran-
Master Poster

No, they're holy and blessed by the bible teachings. Nothing should shake their beliefs! They're the true blessed. INRI Christ said that his sexuality was removed by his father when the true gawd told him to bow down in prayer, and he sent the orgasm through his vertebrae. True story. Google for Inri Christ. In Portuguese, I'm afraid. Priests should have that power too, they can't falter into taking hare of their sheep.

Horny priest. Pfeh! Preposterous.
Well, but we, the more sensible people, know that this is all total crap, right? And of course they are all hypocritical about it, but since horniness is such a strong force I am prepared to forgive them for this (as long as they keep it in their pants (or is it dress?) when it is not asked to appear)

Besides, not all branches of Christianity interprets this quite the same way. Not all demands total abstinence for priests.

As a side note, the priest in our little village here was married with, I think, five kids, but his horniness told him that running away with the male organ player was a good idea. I did feel bad for his wife and kids, but can't help smiling at the shock of the little old church ladies who thought it was much worse that he came out of the closet than that he was cheating on his wife

Last edited by -Fran-; 8th September 2008 at 07:50 AM.
-Fran- is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2008, 08:48 AM   #24
kedo1981
Master Poster

If you really want some fun, go on a Christain forum and ask if any of them knew anybody who was "raptured" last week?
And then swear that your saintly mother/grandma was taken right before your eyes, and by the way when does the tribulation start.
kedo1981 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2008, 08:31 AM   #25
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Where can I go?

The answer seemed rather obvious to me. Perhaps not.

You can go to hell.

Old 17th September 2008, 05:05 AM   #26
jimmygun
Graduate Poster

Cool

Well, I'm on their board and they have invited me to ask questions but my second question has gone unanswered since Sept 9th. They never said they would answer these questions, only that they invited me to ask them.
Old 17th September 2008, 12:34 PM   #27
Autolite
Graduate Poster

I don't intend to sound rude but what exactly would be the point? Christians live in an imaginary world. They denounce reality. Wouldn't that be like looking for answers in a Dr Seuss book instead of the Encyclopedia Britannica???

Last edited by Autolite; 17th September 2008 at 12:35 PM.
Autolite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2008, 12:39 PM   #28
bokonon
Illuminator

Originally Posted by kedo1981 View Post
If you really want some fun, go on a Christain forum and ask if any of them knew anybody who was "raptured" last week?
And then swear that your saintly mother/grandma was taken right before your eyes, and by the way when does the tribulation start.
Even Christians have fun with some of the "Rapture-Ready" crowd:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
bokonon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2008, 07:22 AM   #29
firestorm
Student

Are you interested in quizing the christians because your wife is christian or because deep inside you feel, that of all the religions, christianity has the best chance of being real? Why not quiz the wiccas or buddhists?
firestorm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2008, 09:01 AM   #30
Mr Clingford
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Autolite View Post
I don't intend to sound rude but what exactly would be the point? Christians live in an imaginary world. They denounce reality. Wouldn't that be like looking for answers in a Dr Seuss book instead of the Encyclopedia Britannica???
Your statements make me laugh. I didn't realise I go around denouncing reality. Silly me.

shipoffools has good traffic with a range of Protestants, Catholics, Orthodox and Fundamental to Liberal Christianities. There are a number of atheist and agnostic members so you wouldn't exactly be a novelty and neither would any of your questions be. If you wish to dialogue, though, it is a good place to go. Actually just lurking and reading would help you discover there are no taboo questions. I am a member there myself.

But we crashed into a mountain and I had to eat him.
Mr Clingford is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2008, 04:00 PM   #31
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Could you trust them in the past?
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2008, 07:32 AM   #32
jimmygun
Graduate Poster

My point is to understand the Christian community better, to not be bigotted in my outlook. I know there are every possible types of Christians, the ones I deal with mostly are right and far right. If that was all there was to Christianity then my bigotted outlook would be justified, but I don't think that is the case, that there are moderates out there that I would like to converse with.
Old 22nd September 2008, 07:36 AM   #33
jimmygun
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by firestorm View Post
Are you interested in quizing the christians because your wife is christian or because deep inside you feel, that of all the religions, christianity has the best chance of being real? Why not quiz the wiccas or buddhists?
I live in a Christian dominated society that I percieve to be the major stumbling block to a more just society. The Christian right is the biggest threat to me and mine right now, not the Muslims or even the Muslim extremists.
Old 22nd September 2008, 09:28 AM   #34
Autolite
Graduate Poster

My point is to understand the Christian community better, to not be bigotted in my outlook.

I suppose that I am still missing your point. By "understand" do you mean searching for reasons? You seem to be searching for rational answers from people who oppose rational thought. What exactly do you expect to gain???
Old 3rd October 2008, 05:30 AM   #35
jimmygun
Graduate Poster

I suppose that I am still missing your point. By "understand" do you mean searching for reasons? You seem to be searching for rational answers from people who oppose rational thought. What exactly do you expect to gain???
I hope to gain insight into the thought process (or lack thereof) of different groups of 'Christian' believers. In my opinion (based on observations of the real world) there is no god, no afterlife etc. At the same time, for instance, I like a certain type of music, can explain why and like to hear from others as to why they like other types of music. I don't have to agree with them, I just want to hear what they have to say.

I was hoping to find a sight where Christians would try to answer my questions as honestly as they could, in a straight forward manner. I started by introducing myself and asking if anyone there had any questions of an atheist, promising to answer in the same manner.

I have been disappointed again with the Student Christian Movement site, it seems they are willing to have the questions asked but not willing to answer. They are very slow to be honest but I have not gotten an answer from Joe_nag since Sept. 9, though he is still active on other threads.

http://www.movement.org.uk/index.cfm...umthreadid=526
Old 9th October 2008, 07:06 AM   #36
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

How particular are you? I mean, would one of those mail-order ordinations count? Hypothetically, I mean...

(Where did I put those stamps?...)
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy