IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Deeper than primes

Closed Thread
Old 16th October 2008, 03:43 AM   #521
doronshadmi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
There's another question Doron left unanswered, viz. the veracity of this story:

The answer can be found in this thread on scienceforums.net

The other poster in question (Matt Grime) just pointed out that Doron is a crank, whereupon Doron accused him of following him to other fora. A third poster pointed out that Matt actually had joined SFN before Doron.
http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/s...?t=5014&page=4
doronshadmi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2008, 04:33 AM   #522
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by doronshadmi View Post
I can only surmise you've given this link to draw our attention to this quote of Matt Grime:
Quote:
then why do you keep sending me unsolicited emails with you pet theories in them if you do not wish me to comment upon them.
Sounds familiar?

ETA:
Your reaction is a tacit acknowledgement that this is indeed the case you were referring to. It is now easy for everyone to see that you've grossly distorted this case in your description here. Matt did give an accurate picture of your mathematical capabilities, and he didn't follow you to "any" forum: I've only seen both your handles on physicsforums.com and SFN - unless you've posted on other fora also with one of the many handles you've used on physicsforums.com ("Organic", "WWW", "Shemesh", "Lama") and every time was banned with.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen

Last edited by ddt; 16th October 2008 at 04:41 AM.
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2008, 04:38 AM   #523
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Ah, great! You are still here, doron.

Ok, so please name one branch of Mathematics that is disconnected from any other branch.

Please provide a single, interesting MAF example in the form *_*_* (or *_* or *_*_*_* or ...). Be complete by being specific as to what element the asterisk represents and what relation the underbar represents.

Remember, there were claims you made you haven't yet backed up with evidence. Surely, if the claims were true, you'd be able to support them.

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2008, 04:59 AM   #524
doronshadmi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MattGrime
then why do you keep sending me unsolicited emails with you pet theories in them if you do not wish me to comment upon them.
Hope, what a beautiful illness.

Dear Apathia,

This is exactly the problem here.

More you are a mathematician (based only on Western oriented culture) less you are able to get my ideas.

The same problem holds if you are based only on Eastern oriented culture.

My ideas hold as long as East and West complement each other.

Yours,

Doron

Last edited by doronshadmi; 16th October 2008 at 05:14 AM.
doronshadmi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2008, 05:18 AM   #525
ddt
Mafia Penguin

He has also always been quite careless in hiding his private information. Who would have found his employer if he had only mentioned it in one IIDB thread and not in various forum profiles? And I've discovered even more sensitive information from just googling. (I don't mention what, and hope Doron realizes what I mean before someone malicious finds out.
Bump.

Oh, and for who wants a good laugh another Doron thread title: A proof that |R| < c.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

Last edited by ddt; 16th October 2008 at 05:19 AM.
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2008, 06:51 AM   #526
TMiguel
Critical Thinker

This is exactly the problem here.

More you are a mathematician less you are able to get my ideas.
LOL!!!!! Incredible insight you just had. Weren’t you supposed to be gone for good?
Old 16th October 2008, 06:59 AM   #527
Skeptic
Banned

I've only seen both your handles on physicsforums.com and SFN - unless you've posted on other fora also with one of the many handles you've used on physicsforums.com ("Organic", "WWW", "Shemesh", "Lama") and every time was banned with.
About Doron's handles:

Doron is probably a native Hebrew speaker. Non-speakers might be interested ot know "Shemes" means "sun" and "Lama" means "why?".

Apparently Doron sees himself as shining sun of reason and truth in the world of mathematics, explaining to everybody else why things are (he wrongly believes) not going well.
Skeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2008, 07:11 AM   #528
Skeptic
Banned

Doron's problem is that he doesn't seem to undestand that concepts are not the same as the symbols, or the words, used to represent them.

E.g., he thinks that 0.2222222222.... in base 3 and 1 are different numbers, presumably because they are written differently. On the other hand, he thinks the x-axis in the plane (in Geometry) and the set R (in Calculus) are identical, since they are often referred to in similar words. He also, it seems, thinks that the term "infinity" as used in calculus (e.g., in the definition of a limit) and in set theory (e.g., in describing a set's cardinality) means the same thing in both fields.

No wonder he is confused about what is going on in mathematics, or thinks that mathematical subfields don't communicate with each other, or that he wants to invent a new notation where every term means exactly one thing.
Skeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2008, 07:55 AM   #529
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
Doron's problem is that he doesn't seem to undestand that concepts are not the same as the symbols, or the words, used to represent them.

E.g., he thinks that 0.2222222222.... in base 3 and 1 are different numbers, presumably because they are written differently. On the other hand, he thinks the x-axis in the plane (in Geometry) and the set R (in Calculus) are identical, since they are often referred to in similar words. He also, it seems, thinks that the term "infinity" as used in calculus (e.g., in the definition of a limit) and in set theory (e.g., in describing a set's cardinality) means the same thing in both fields.

No wonder he is confused about what is going on in mathematics, or thinks that mathematical subfields don't communicate with each other, or that he wants to invent a new notation where every term means exactly one thing.

Conflate may have more precise connotations than confuse, I think. For example, in the link ddt provided, Doron disparately wants points and real numbers to be the same thing. That gets him to his {.} notation. Then, he conflates sets with set members, referring to {.} as a member. Then he conflates set cardinality with set membership while at the same time conflating the general with the specific by concluding that since |{.}| = 1, {.} must represent the real number, 1. Then he conflates....

jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2008, 09:03 AM   #530
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

Sometimes he tries an old OP again in a different forum. "Deeper than primes" had its premiere on IIDB, 2005-08-04. And "A hidden assumption" premiered on Science Chat Forum, 2007-08-03 (release on JREF: 2008-03-16).
Talking of which, despite having had over a year to perfect the OP, he still had to edit it after posting
nathan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2008, 09:26 AM   #531
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Originally Posted by nathan View Post
Talking of which, despite having had over a year to perfect the OP, he still had to edit it after posting

The one he posted here was worse than the original. At least in the original, it was clearer the elements of the multi-sets were meant to be summed.

Old 16th October 2008, 10:22 AM   #532
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

Doron,
now you're back, any update on what the A in MAF stands for?
nathan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2008, 01:15 PM   #533
catbasket
Graduate Poster

nvm

My policy of reading this thread in three or four-day chunks for maximum enjoyment has paid off bigtime today (reading from Oct 14th). All in one big hit I have had -

Talking fish.
Doron "reports" a post by nominating it for TLA.
Doron leaves.
Doron comes back again.
In the Doronverse signing-up at a forum five months before Doron equates to "follow after me to any forum that I wrote something in it".

I take it I'm too late for the corndogs?
catbasket is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2008, 02:03 PM   #534
ddt
Mafia Penguin

The "Deeper than primes" thing? The IIDB version is 3 years old and quite different, but he posted the same thing a month earlier at CFI. So yes, still surprising he had to edit the thing after posting.

Originally Posted by jsfisher View Post
The one he posted here was worse than the original. At least in the original, it was clearer the elements of the multi-sets were meant to be summed.
The IIDB version is substantially different. And his concept of "Equation Tree" is kinda cute - I did CS as graduate studies after all . Too bad he didn't work that out. Not that it would be something revolutionary, not even new, but it would be the kind of thing that is fun and doable to work out on your own.

Old 16th October 2008, 02:19 PM   #535
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Doron is probably a native Hebrew speaker. Non-speakers might be interested ot know "Shemes" means "sun" and "Lama" means "why?".

Apparently Doron sees himself as shining sun of reason and truth in the world of mathematics, explaining to everybody else why things are (he wrongly believes) not going well.
Thanks for the clarification, Skeptic!

Could you also clarify what this Hebrew wiki page is about? It seems to be some kind of talk page or discussion page where Doron discusses with other wiki-members. I see some stuff in Latin letters I recognize from Doron papers, and Google translate revealed some discussion about Hilbert's 6th problem, but I've no idea what (Hebrew) wiki page(s) Doron wanted to include this stuff in.

Old 16th October 2008, 02:41 PM   #536
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

If Math is an organism (As Hilbert clearly said), then there must be a common base ground (I call it Minimal Accepted Form) used as the trunk of these different branches.

Without this Trunk\Branches interaction, Hilbert's "Organic Unity" does not hold.
This has probably been stated here before but doronshadmi seems to be obsessed with the conclusion of the following lecture by David Hilbert on mathematical problems (doronshadmi should note that the subject is not 'problems with mathematics').

In this conclusion David Hilbert describes mathematical science as an organism and uses the phrase 'organic unity'. This is a description only. It is not a specification of mathematics.

Mathematical Problems
Lecture delivered before the International Congress of Mathematicians at Paris in 1900
By Professor David Hilbert

Quote:
The problems mentioned are merely samples of problems, yet they will suffice to show how rich, how manifold and how extensive the mathematical science of today is, and the question is urged upon us whether mathematics is doomed to the fate of those other sciences that have split up into separate branches, whose representatives scarcely understand one another and whose connection becomes ever more loose. I do not believe this nor wish it. Mathematical science is in my opinion an indivisible whole, an organism whose vitality is conditioned upon the connection of its parts. For with all the variety of mathematical knowledge, we are still clearly conscious of the similarity of the logical devices, the relationship of the ideas in mathematics as a whole and the numerous analogies in its different departments. We also notice that, the farther a mathematical theory is developed, the more harmoniously and uniformly does its construction proceed, and unsuspected relations are disclosed between hitherto separate branches of the science. So it happens that, with the extension of mathematics, its organic character is not lost but only manifests itself the more clearly.
But, we ask, with the extension of mathematical knowledge will it not finally become impossible for the single investigator to embrace all departments of this knowledge? In answer let me point out how thoroughly it is ingrained in mathematical science that every real advance goes hand in hand with the invention of sharper tools and simpler methods which at the same time assist in understanding earlier theories and cast aside older more complicated developments. It is therefore possible for the individual investigator, when he makes these sharper tools and simpler methods his own, to find his way more easily in the various branches of mathematics than is possible in any other science. The organic unity of mathematics is inherent in the nature of this science, for mathematics is the foundation of all exact knowledge of natural phenomena. That it may completely fulfil this high mission, may the new century bring it gifted masters and many zealous and enthusiastic disciples!
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2008, 03:15 PM   #537
Skeptic
Banned

Thanks for the clarification, Skeptic!

Could you also clarify what this Hebrew wiki page is about?
The short version is:

1). Doron wants to use wikipedia's "discussion" pages as a free-for-all discussion forum.

2). Others tell him that while there's more leeway allowed in wikipedia's discussion forums than in the entries themselves, it isn't really the place for a free-for-all discussion or "tentative results" (their polite term for "whatever the heck you're babbling about") but rather for established results.

3). Doron demands that they show him exactly where it says that he cannot use wikipedia's discussion forums in such a manner.

4). He then posts his usual gibberish, and demands everybody show exactly what is wrong with it.

5). Others complain that, in two days, he made about 50 edits of two entries ("The Lair's Paradox" and "Godel", I believe) "most of them trivial" and ask him to PLEASE use the "preview" button instead of posting and then changing the posts later, since "that makes our job harder".

6). Then the discussion, quite suddenly, veer away from mathematics to theology: they begin to discuss how logical the hypothesis that God exists is. A few gems:

a). The title of the "does God exist?" thread is actually "On the big Bang, Atheism, and Onions."

b). Doron and another poster spend most of the time discussing the onions: do they have a core, or an infinite number of layers? Onions are used as a metaphor for two ways to look at reality, one with a first cause (theism's God as a cause), the other as better and better natural explanations without a first cause (atheism).

c). Doron claims the onions have both a core and an infinite number of layers, because he had discovered classical two-valued logic is wrong.

d). He writes long-winded gibberish about theology as well as about mathematics (Cranks are very prolific in their gibberish). Example paragraph (they all are of the same kind):

"When there's a dichotomy between the cooperation field and the expression field, consciousness, which is locked under the impressions of the expression field, understands the cooperation field (the unity aspect of consciousness) as the creator of the expression field (the multiplicity aspect of the consciousness)."

It doesn't make any sense in Hebrew, either. Crank works have one advantage: they don't really lose anything in translation.

e). Doron asks another poster angrily during that discussion: "are you going to listen to facts, or are you just going to use the form to spew your own theories?"
Old 17th October 2008, 01:31 AM   #538
doronshadmi
Penultimate Amazing

"When there's a dichotomy between the cooperation field and the expression field, consciousness, which is locked under the impressions of the expression field, understands the cooperation field (the unity aspect of consciousness) as the creator of the expression field (the multiplicity aspect of the consciousness)."
No.

Coordination field (trunk), Expression field (branches) ( http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=505 ).
Old 17th October 2008, 01:46 AM   #539
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

Crank works have one advantage: they don't really lose anything in translation.
I think I see a signature
Old 17th October 2008, 01:47 AM   #540
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

No.

Coordination field (trunk), Expression field (branches) ( http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=505 ).
Ah, I see you're back. Any progress on what MAF stands for? Or any of the other myriad of unanswered questions?
Old 17th October 2008, 03:50 AM   #541
TMiguel
Critical Thinker

No.

Here we go again. State an example of a field that is disconnected from another, and I will prove you otherwise.
Old 17th October 2008, 07:36 AM   #542
ddt
Mafia Penguin

For more comedy on the Doron/Matt Grime battle, see this thread, from post #292. moshek (= Moshe Klein, the kindergarten teacher) quotes from post #287. Post #294 is Doron's threat to call Matt's university. Note also his use of the word "vulgarity".

The short version is:
It's much much longer than I hoped for. Thanks for the summary, it is comedy gold!

5). Others complain that, in two days, he made about 50 edits of two entries
Yes, editing is hard .

d). He writes long-winded gibberish about theology as well as about mathematics (Cranks are very prolific in their gibberish). Example paragraph (they all are of the same kind):
Well, at least there's more words to it. Most of his "mathematical" gibberish leaves me (at least at first) puzzled how he hopped from one thing to another.

I think I see a signature
Me too

Doron, as you're still around anyway, care to answer my post #463? You've left quite some unanswered questions here that just beg for clarification.

Oh, and when you want to complain: that triangle-shaped button with an exclamation mark, on the left, is for reporting a post. Learning to use an internet forum is difficult, I understand, and you've only used 40+ thus far. The moderators especially appreciate it if you send in a dozen or so reports in a row.

Old 17th October 2008, 10:29 AM   #543
TMiguel
Critical Thinker

LOL, this keeps getting better and better. I guess there will be more corndogs after all.
Old 17th October 2008, 11:39 AM   #544
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by TMiguel View Post
LOL, this keeps getting better and better. I guess there will be more corndogs after all.
Oh, what about this one: "Two different models of infinity" in a computer security forum, section "Cryptographic Theory".

Just google for "complementarytheory" (as one word). It's the name of his geocities webpage, where he has stored all his PDFs. You won't get false hits, as it's nowhere else used as a single word; and it gives a complete view on Doron's web activities, as he invariably links to one of those PDFs.

But yes, were are the corndogs?

Old 17th October 2008, 01:46 PM   #545
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

But yes, were are the corndogs?
I have to say that when I was in NYC this summer we went to Coney Island, but I was too full from lunch, so had to pass on Nathan's corn dogs So I've yet to devour that culinary delight.
Old 18th October 2008, 04:10 PM   #546
ddt
Mafia Penguin

I have to say that when I was in NYC this summer we went to Coney Island, but I was too full from lunch, so had to pass on Nathan's corn dogs So I've yet to devour that culinary delight.
With all this talk about corn dogs, I'm getting really curious about the phenomenon. Too bad we don't have them over here. I could offer a typical Dutch snack: the FrikandelWP - especially tasty as "frikandel speciaal" with mayonnaise, curry sauce and chopped onions.

Apropos Doron's editing behavior, you should take a look at his "User Contributions" page at wikipedia. You don't have to be able to read Hebrew to see what the complaint about the frequent edits was about: whenever he edited a page, at least 2 edits of the same page followed within minutes...

I was further reminded of Doron's "letter to Alain Connes" he posted to another forum:
Quote:
Four years ago, Moshe Klein heard your lecture about Non-commutative Geometry, which was given in "100 to Hilbert" U.C.L.A conference.

You closed your lecture with these words: " ...We need a new understanding in Mathematics which is based on geometry more then on logic".

For the past 20 years I have developed a mathematical framework, which uses geometrical notions, in order to research the most fundamental mathematical concepts, (like set, number, point, segment, function, continuum, discreteness, finite, non-finite,... etc.) according to this orientation.
That Alain Connes said this (as claimed earlier by Moshe Klein, the kindergarten teacher, here) cannot be verified as his lecture has not been published AFAIK. So it's a vacuous claim, and probably misrepresented anyway.

However, Prof. Alain Connes has a very interesting paper, "A View of Mathematics", on his website. It starts with:
Quote:
It might be tempting at first to view mathematics as the union of separate parts such as Geometry, Algebra, Analysis, Number theory etc... where the first is dominated by the understanding of the concept of “space”, the second by the art of manipulating “symbols”, the next by the access to “infinity” and the “continuum” etc...

This however does not do justice to one of the most essential features of the mathematical world, namely that it is virtually impossible to isolate any of the above parts from the others without depriving them from their essence. In that way the corpus of mathematics does resemble a biological entity which can only survive as a whole and would perish if separated into disjoint pieces.
and the rest of the paper is permeated by the concept of different mathematical branches (in particular, geometry and algebra) contributing to each other.

Old 19th October 2008, 09:42 AM   #547
doronshadmi
Penultimate Amazing

MAF ( http://www.geocities.com/complementarytheory/UR.pdf ) is REI (Relation\Element Interaction):

"The first embryo of mental picture of the mathematical world one can start from is that of a network of bewildering complexity between basic concepts." ( http://alainconnes.org/docs/maths.pdf )

EDIT:

"between" = relation

"basic concopts" = elements

Last edited by doronshadmi; 19th October 2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 19th October 2008, 09:48 AM   #548
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

MAF is REI (Relation\Element Interaction):

"The first embryo of mental picture of the mathematical world one can start from is that of a network of bewildering complexity between basic concepts." ( http://alainconnes.org/docs/maths.pdf )
Sigh. Defining an undefined concept in terms of another undefined concept, is not defining it. Referring to a paper that uses neither term is not a definition either.

Define your terms, or go away.
Old 19th October 2008, 10:26 AM   #549
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

MAF ( http://www.geocities.com/complementarytheory/UR.pdf ) is REI (Relation\Element Interaction):

EDIT:

"between" = relation

Oh, great! Yet another reference doron doesn't understand.

Old 19th October 2008, 11:03 AM   #550
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

EDIT:

"between" = relation

Looks like I’m late to the party and might have missed all the fun, anyway seeing Doron finally indicate what he has edited and added to a post is a gift I will not soon forget.
Old 19th October 2008, 03:03 PM   #551
doronshadmi
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
This however does not do justice to one of the most essential features of the mathematical world, namely that it is virtually impossible to isolate any of the above parts from the others without depriving them from their essence. In that way the corpus of mathematics does resemble a biological entity which can only survive as a whole and would perish if separated into disjoint pieces.
( http://alainconnes.org/docs/maths.pdf )

In other words, the Organic Paradigm of the mathematical science (trunk(=essence)\branches interaction):

http://www.geocities.com/complementarytheory/OM.pdf

http://www.geocities.com/complementarytheory/UR.pdf

Last edited by doronshadmi; 19th October 2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 19th October 2008, 03:10 PM   #552
TMiguel
Critical Thinker

In other words, the Organic Paradigm of the mathematical science (trunk(=essence)\branches interaction):

That adds absolutly nothing, besides it is nonsense.
Old 19th October 2008, 03:39 PM   #553
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

How you doing on coming up with any evidence to support your claims, doron?

You remember: (1) Provide any interesting example of MAF (complete with the specifics of what relation _ represents and what element * represents), and (2) Name any branch of Mathematics that is isolated from the others.

Got anything? Anything at all?

Old 19th October 2008, 03:41 PM   #554
drkitten
Penultimate Amazing

Weren't you leaving us, never to return?

You're still just posting gibberish. You still haven't even got a "Paradigm" to present.
drkitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th October 2008, 03:58 PM   #555
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by jsfisher View Post
Oh, great! Yet another reference doron doesn't understand.
Had you expected otherwise?

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Looks like I’m late to the party and might have missed all the fun, anyway seeing Doron finally indicate what he has edited and added to a post is a gift I will not soon forget.
We'll cherish it! Is it worthy of nomination?

I haven't read the MA in a long time, but isn't this constant referral to the same tired PDF's a sort of spamming?

Old 19th October 2008, 05:00 PM   #556
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

We'll cherish it! Is it worthy of nomination?
Nope, that’s for exemplary writing not for expected etiquette writing.
Old 19th October 2008, 05:13 PM   #557
Apathia
Philosopher

I had intended to persue my interest in Doron's "Universal Reasoning" or "Complementary Logic" in his thread at philosophy-forums.com. I was able to register there but unable to post. And now the philosophy-forums has vanished from the web. Since Doron is still checking in here, I'll say a few words and see where it goes.

Buried beneath Doron's landfill of missused and discarded mathematical terminology is an actual idea. Once it's made clear, then it can be discussed and critiqued in an intelligent way. It rarely comes to that because Doron's way of thinking is counterintuitive, as if from some culture isolated from the rest of the world.

Now that we're in the Philosophy Section, I feel I can discuss Doron from a more general than mathematical angle.

Back in Post#295 of this thread, I posted this simplistic into to Doron's frame of thinking:

Doron posits a fundamental, essentail association of all abstract concepts prior to whatever meanings or designations given concepts may have.
This is his "X/Y Complementation."

For any abstract concept X, there is a polar opposite concept Y.
In interactive combination (He calls it "Complementation.") they yield a matix of new concepts which in turn follow this "pre-axiomatic" rule of association.

It doesn't make any difference what the X and Y designate, they already follow the Rule.

When it comes to Logic this prior "complementation" yields the usual values of "True" and "False." but in the interactive combo of these polar opposites, he also gets the True False and the False True.

In sets, the program yields a state where completion is not the final word, but there is the incomplete complete and the complete incomplete.

In Numerology (Yes, I'm sarcastic here, because I like to call Doron's "Organic Natural Numbers" "paranormal" numbers." But this is a somewhat unfair caricature.) Doron's fundamental rule of association yields not only the familiar counting numbers, but a host of new critters such as 2_3 or 3_2 where the first number of the pair is adjectival.

Again this is very simplistic, but it is the basic idea, the Yin-Yang of it, so to speak.

If you get the idea, then there are a host of questions and critcisms that are not being addressed. I hope we can move on to these and not back to the years of forum wreckage and debacle Doron has behind him.
It will be more interesting if we can get to questions that are relevant to the very different way Doron thinks.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th October 2008, 05:39 PM   #558
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Nope, that’s for exemplary writing not for expected etiquette writing.
Sorry for omitting the smiley. I thought the rhetorical nature of the question was obvious to all.

Old 19th October 2008, 06:30 PM   #559
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
I had intended to persue my interest in Doron's "Universal Reasoning" or "Complementary Logic" in his thread at philosophy-forums.com. I was able to register there but unable to post. And now the philosophy-forums has vanished from the web.
I noticed it is down. You should get a second email when your account is actually activated.

Buried beneath Doron's landfill of missused and discarded mathematical terminology is an actual idea. Once it's made clear, then it can be discussed and critiqued in an intelligent way. It rarely comes to that because Doron's way of thinking is counterintuitive, as if from some culture isolated from the rest of the world.

[...]
As put forward by you, it seems an idea that could be pursued and actually turned into mathematics - that's the goal, isn't it? And this wouldn't tear down the vast building of mathematics in order to replace it, but be an extra wing built onto it. However, I doubt that your analysis is right - for reasons put forward below, and because there's already precedent that your interpretation of Doron's work turned out not to be what he meant, in previous threads, despite your good efforts.

If you get the idea, then there are a host of questions and critcisms that are not being addressed. I hope we can move on to these and not back to the years of forum wreckage and debacle Doron has behind him.
"Wreckage" is, IMHO, put mildly. There's 5.5 years of Doron posting on numerous fora. On various fora, e.g., physicsforums.com, IIDB, and here, he met people who were inclined to meticulously point out the various errors in his mathematical reasoning and gradually grew tired with his not listening to their arguments. In that time, he's shown no inclination whatsoever to actually learn mathematics; instead, he's grown ever bolder in statements like "Cantor was wrong" up to his laughably incorrect rendering here of Cantor's diagonalization argument in the proof of the uncountability of R.

Would he honestly have some actual idea, and not only vague delusions, then methinks, he would have taken the effort to understand how mathematics works. He obviously hasn't. He doesn't know what an axiom is, how a definition looks like, etc., everything a freshman math student learns is alien to him. He doesn't take to heart criticism from others, but on questions posed in the best case regurgitates the same he's said before - in words or in links to earlier posts - or gives an answer that is even vaguer than what the question was about in the first place.

Would it be due to a lack of skill in English, then I honestly don't know what he's doing on English language boards. I note he's also active on haayal.co.il, a Hebrew-language board, and I obviously can't judge the clarity of his writings there, but I very much doubt it's better than his English writings - going on Skeptic's report of the wiki-discussion. And well, it's not that there's a lack of Hebrew-language highly-schooled mathematicians who could teach, coach or vet his work - apart from the questionable kindergarten teacher.

It will be more interesting if we can get to questions that are relevant to the very different way Doron thinks.
I'll gladly leave the floor to you to see if your interpretation of Doron's writings gets his approval.

Old 19th October 2008, 07:18 PM   #560
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Now that we're in the Philosophy Section, I feel I can discuss Doron from a more general than mathematical angle.

I truly wish you the best of luck in this, but I am concerned you have become involved in "facilitated communication."

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy