ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th April 2009, 04:39 PM   #41
desertgal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
These tapes came out in another legal case I believe. They seem to be a matter of public record I would guess.
Not necessarily. If the court sealed the record, then they wouldn't be. If you don't know, then you shouldn't say.

Quote:
I've heard that the police that were supposedly involved have died.
So? Their reports would still be in the case file.

Originally Posted by The Professor
If so .... Why haven't they been asked about this?
You know that they haven't been?
Old 24th April 2009, 04:41 PM   #42
desertgal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
Snipped from an email sent to me by The Professor:

Quote:
Were you the one who molested the young boys like your hero did? Is that why you want to be like him.
I think most know the implication of "hero".
I think most know the meaning of "proof" as defined by the Professor, too.
Old 24th April 2009, 04:48 PM   #43
The Professor
Banned

Originally Posted by desertgal View Post
Not necessarily. If the court sealed the record, then they wouldn't be. If you don't know, then you shouldn't say.

So? Their reports would still be in the case file.

You know that they haven't been?
So it would be a simple matter for James Randi to just produce the documents and put an end to all of this right then?

Or possibly a pay check to himself from the police department or the phone company?

Last edited by The Professor; 24th April 2009 at 04:49 PM.
The Professor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 04:51 PM   #44
desertgal
Illuminator

So it would be a simple matter for James Randi to just produce the documents and put an end to all of this right then?
Why should he? It's up to the person accusing him to present proof to back up the accusation - not James Randi to refute it.

It's called "burden of proof", Professor.
Old 24th April 2009, 04:52 PM   #45
George 152
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kerikiwi View Post
Can you be specific as to which 'guys' you are referring to?
Give an example of 'too emotional', 'personal loyalty' and 'partiality'?
I think he's referring to the posters who don't usually post libels against any-one on the Net.
'Too emotional' may mean he doesn't like being confronted with the statement that he's libelled some-one.
George 152 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 05:07 PM   #46
The Professor
Banned

Why should he? It's up to the person accusing him to present proof to back up the accusation - not James Randi to refute it.

It's called "burden of proof", Professor.
The tapes are the proof. Randi has to show that the tapes are something other than what they appear to be.
The Professor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 05:35 PM   #47
makaya325
Banned

Why, oh, why is This clown Gellar still around? Why doesnt he simply dissapear off the face of the earth? He does nothing but scam people and take their money.
makaya325 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 05:37 PM   #48
desertgal
Illuminator

The tapes are the proof. Randi has to show that the tapes are something other than what they appear to be.
First of all, it's one tape, not tapes. And, no. Randi doesn't have to show anything. He didn't accuse himself of being a pederast.

Do you not understand "burden of proof"?
Old 24th April 2009, 05:41 PM   #49
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by makaya325 View Post
Why, oh, why is This clown Gellar still around? Why doesnt he simply dissapear off the face of the earth? He does nothing but scam people and take their money.
Interesting interview in Genii(magicians mag) where he attempts to distance himself from his original claims.
Old 24th April 2009, 05:43 PM   #50
makaya325
Banned

Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
Interesting interview in Genii(magicians mag) where he attempts to distance himself from his original claims.
It doesnt matter. He CLAIMED to have psychic powers. It doesnt matter if he is doubtful now. He needs to face the music regarding his Bull **** claims.
makaya325 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 05:43 PM   #51
The Professor
Banned

First of all, it's one tape, not tapes. And, no. Randi doesn't have to show anything. He didn't accuse himself of being a pederast.

Do you not understand "burden of proof"?
No one needs to go to court to listen to the recordings and make up their own minds. Have you heard them?

It's obvious what is said.

It seems obvious what is going on.

If Randi says that it's something else, I'm more than willing to view his defense.

If he was working for the police or the phone company, then it would be easy to prove that.

That's all I'm saying. It should be easy to shut down all of this stuff.
Old 24th April 2009, 05:44 PM   #52
kittynh
Penultimate Amazing

ahhh professor... so someone has you actual EMAIL?

post some more dude!

OK with all the enemies James Randi has made over the years...trust me... if THEY are satisfied then you should be. But what the heck, go ahead join in with your little bit. If you have the lawyer fees once you get in over your head why not take up this new if expensive hobby?
kittynh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 05:46 PM   #53
kittynh
Penultimate Amazing

and professor all WHAT stuff? A forum internet site?
yeah.. right. OK someone is going to look up stuff about you and post it on some internet forum site you don't read because frankly you have more important things to do, and you go spend time defending yourself... or maybe get on with your life.

It's been done and is over with, and I"m sorry if whomever is getting you to post this doesn't like it. If you want to be the fall guy.. hey fine with me.
kittynh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 05:51 PM   #54
kittynh
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNff9YakG-0
Old 24th April 2009, 05:54 PM   #55
Azrael 5
Philosopher

As there are actual recordings of Randi -if they were legit in content-someone would have contacted te police and charges brought. Or at very least an arrest made.

Why doesn't Jim Callahan inform authorities.He has distributed those recordings in the past,and regularly makes reference to the alleged content?
Old 24th April 2009, 06:03 PM   #56
desertgal
Illuminator

No one needs to go to court to listen to the recordings and make up their own minds.
I would certainly hope one would listen to the alleged recording before deciding with certainty that Randi is or is not a pederast-or even that it is Randi at all.

Quote:
Have you heard them?
No, I haven't heard it. IT, Professor. It's one tape. But, neither have you. I don't know that he isn't a pederast, but I'm not accusing him of being one without a shred of evidence, either.

Quote:
It's obvious what is said.
Really? What is said, Professor? Do tell. Dig your hole a little deeper.

Quote:
It seems obvious what is going on.
Really? What is going on, Professor? Do tell. Dig your hole a little deeper.

Quote:
If Randi says that it's something else, I'm more than willing to view his defense.
Randi DID say it was something else. Let's see that willingness, Professor. Bet it doesn't extend as far as allowing that Randi might be telling the truth.

Quote:
If he was working for the police or the phone company, then it would be easy to prove that.
Why should he? HE didn't accuse himself of being a pederast. If it is so easy, then why do his accusers not produce the evidence? They are the ones making the accusation. Surely, they should be able to back it up with something other than innuendo and speculation.

Quote:
That's all I'm saying. It should be easy to shut down all of this stuff.
If his accusers are going to dig themselves a libelous hole, why should Randi help them out of it?

Last edited by desertgal; 24th April 2009 at 06:07 PM.
desertgal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 07:04 PM   #57
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

No the proof is that, even though Randi has many many idiots who don't like him exposing their fantasies to the light of day and who would just love to destroy his credibility, he has never been charged.
Old 24th April 2009, 08:12 PM   #58
The Professor
Banned

So you guys have never heard the recordings, yet you are experts on what is on them?
Old 25th April 2009, 01:53 AM   #59
I Am He
Critical Thinker

So you guys have never heard the recordings, yet you are experts on what is on them?
What was that? You haven't heard them and you're the only one flapping your lips. Pot, Kettle anyone.

I Am He
Old 25th April 2009, 07:38 AM   #60
desertgal
Illuminator

No. But, we're not the ones accusing Randi, or anyone else, of pedophilia.

You haven't heard the recording, either. Doesn't stop you from proclaiming yourself an expert about what is on it. D'ya see your hypocrisy here, Prof?
Old 26th April 2009, 11:49 AM   #61
The Professor
Banned

The transcripts of the recordings are public record I'm told. Anyone can get them it seems if you don't wish to hear them you could just read it I guess.
I was told they were released in the Eldon Byrd case that Randi lost. Perhaps the folks that told me this were wrong. Maybe the Lawyer could weigh in on this one?
Old 26th April 2009, 11:50 AM   #62
The Professor
Banned

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
No the proof is that, even though Randi has many many idiots who don't like him exposing their fantasies to the light of day and who would just love to destroy his credibility, he has never been charged.
What about the Eldon Byrd case then?
Old 26th April 2009, 12:00 PM   #63
kerikiwi
Philosopher

What was Randi charged with in that case?
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2009, 12:07 PM   #64
The Professor
Banned

If you google it I think you'll find it there somewhere.
Just do a quick search if you are interested
Old 26th April 2009, 12:16 PM   #65
kerikiwi
Philosopher

If you google it I think you'll find it there somewhere.
Just do a quick search if you are interested
Since you brought it up I think it more appropriate that you provide the evidence.
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2009, 12:18 PM   #66
Whiplash

The level that some will go to is so despicable and reprehensible I find a hard time coming up with words to condemn it. It's also all incredibly transparent, except to the blind believers.
Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2009, 12:24 PM   #67
The Professor
Banned

Is the statement of a Judge good evidence?

A lost court case?

So you are afraid to look at the evidence? You don't have to.
It's up to you.
Someone told me that the truth would set me free .... but I'd have to look
Old 26th April 2009, 12:28 PM   #68
Limbo
Jedi Consular

The transcripts of the recordings are public record I'm told. Anyone can get them it seems if you don't wish to hear them you could just read it I guess.
I was told they were released in the Eldon Byrd case that Randi lost. Perhaps the folks that told me this were wrong. Maybe the Lawyer could weigh in on this one?

I would be interested in reading those transcripts. How do I go about getting a copy?

"Faith in faith," he replied. "It isn't necessary to have something to believe in. It's only necessary to believe that somewhere there's something worthy of belief."
Limbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2009, 12:28 PM   #69
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Is the statement of a Judge good evidence?

A lost court case?

So you are afraid to look at the evidence? You don't have to.
It's up to you.
Wherever did you get the silly idea I am afraid to look at the evidence?
I quite clearly asked you to provide it, since you brought it up.
Old 26th April 2009, 12:30 PM   #70
The Professor
Banned

Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
"Randi claimed that he made the tape under the direction of the police chief of Rumson, New Jersey, to entrap harassing obscene callers."

Is there a copy of any kind of police documentation that would prove this?
Was this it?
http://www.martiansgohome.com/smear/v46/ss991105.htm

They say this is what a judge said about it all. Not sure that he knew the Sheriff?

You decide I guess.
Old 26th April 2009, 12:33 PM   #71
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Was this it?
http://www.martiansgohome.com/smear/v46/ss991105.htm

They say this is what a judge said about it all. Not sure that he knew the Sheriff?

You decide I guess.
Decide whether that looks like 'police documentation'?

Are you familiar with the tui advertisements?
Old 26th April 2009, 12:33 PM   #72
The Professor
Banned

I would be interested in reading those transcripts. How do I go about getting a copy?
I think that these smear guys asked if they could send out copies with Randis version at the same time so people could make up their own minds.
Old 26th April 2009, 12:44 PM   #73
Limbo
Jedi Consular

I think that these smear guys asked if they could send out copies with Randis version at the same time so people could make up their own minds.

That sounds like a reasonable thing to do. Keep us posted plz.

"Faith in faith," he replied. "It isn't necessary to have something to believe in. It's only necessary to believe that somewhere there's something worthy of belief."

Last edited by Limbo; 26th April 2009 at 12:49 PM.
Limbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2009, 12:48 PM   #74
The Professor
Banned

Originally Posted by kerikiwi View Post
Decide whether that looks like 'police documentation'?

Are you familiar with the tui advertisements?
So are you saying these guys are just jerking me around and there was no guy named Byrd and he never won a court case?
They just fooled me by making it all up?
Old 26th April 2009, 12:52 PM   #75
The Professor
Banned

There seems to be dozens of places on the net with this information, but I've heard that you can't post links to them here on the forum for some weird reason.

So I won't.

But I think they are easy enough to find if someone is looking for the truth.

I wish I could help you but I just stumbled on this thread and it isn't my main goal here.

As you know, I want to take the JREF MDC.

Last edited by The Professor; 26th April 2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 26th April 2009, 12:54 PM   #76
kerikiwi
Philosopher

So are you saying these guys are just jerking me around and there was no guy named Byrd and he never won a court case?
It seems I am saying whatever it is you want me to say, though what you think I am saying seems to have no connection with what I actually do say.
Perhaps you are really Humpty Dumpty ...
Old 26th April 2009, 12:57 PM   #77
Azrael 5
Philosopher

The Professor has a new friend. Straight[jacket]up!
Old 26th April 2009, 12:59 PM   #78
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Not the same issue. And in any case, the Byrd case was a civil case so no one was charged.
Old 26th April 2009, 01:02 PM   #79
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Hey prof,

What were the damages that Byrd was awarded in that case? I'm forgetting how much Randi had to pay? (hint: it was $0)

While it's technically incorrect to refer to a child porn collector and unconvicted child molester as a convicted child molester, apparently the jury didn't think the distinction was worth any money.
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2009, 02:58 PM   #80
The Professor
Banned

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Not the same issue. And in any case, the Byrd case was a civil case so no one was charged.
In the same way O.J. Simpson was convicted in a Civil suit?

So you're telling me that Randi WAS convicted or found guilty ..right?

I was told that Randi claimed to be destitute and had no money at the time. Is that right?

Last edited by The Professor; 26th April 2009 at 03:01 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal