IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2004 elections , michael badnarik , presidential candidates , presidential debates , third party candidates

Old 4th August 2004, 05:06 PM   #161
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthborn
Internet discussion board?

Don't say something is impossible just because of a restriction of the medium.
Sure, what's stopping anyone. Or do you think this should be mandated?

More to the point though, regardless the medium, it's simply not practical if there are say 50,000 people running. There must be a threshhold test otherwise it's a complete and total joke. Can we agree to that much?
Old 4th August 2004, 05:44 PM   #162
michaellee
Muse

Quote:
Originally posted by Batman Jr.
..then why is Bush—a man whose deluded religiosity allows him to believe in things like the rapture and that stem-cell research is tantamount to murder despite the fact that real people are dying out there as a result of the prohibition of studying this new branch of medical science—unquestioned in his place in the discussion?
Can you provide the law or code section or governmental/presidential mandate that declares a prohibition on studying stem-cell research?
michaellee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2004, 03:47 AM   #163
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by varwoche
More to the point though, regardless the medium, it's simply not practical if there are say 50,000 people running. There must be a threshhold test otherwise it's a complete and total joke. Can we agree to that much?
Upon reflection, if there is zero threshhold to run for president, 50k entries impresses me as an underestimate. It could be 10 times that.

How are we to evaluate 500,000 candidates?

Obviously the debate commission needs to have a threshhold. Anyone want to discuss the specifics of that threshhold? Or are we just playing make believe here?
Old 5th August 2004, 04:02 AM   #164
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Anyone want to discuss the specifics of that threshhold?
I think we should first be familiarized with the current requirements. Do you know what they are or where to find them?

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2004, 05:18 AM   #165
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by shanek
But bank ownership in the Fed is mandatory (making it a government monopoly)...
False.

Once again you have no idea what you are talking about. Did you get this from your buddy Badnarik? Is he now a banking "expert" in addition to being a constitutional "expeert"?

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2004, 05:22 AM   #166
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
And then he freely and quickly admitted that he was wrong.
LOL! You are such a mark. Of course he admitted he was wrong. But the point Varwoche is making, and you are missing, is that for a time, even if only for a nanosecond, he actually believed it. And you want his finger on the button?

The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2004, 10:34 AM   #167
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Quote:
Originally posted by Silicon
Got a QUALITY anti-Kerry site? I'd love to read a good one.
Alas, no. And I find that particularly odd.
Quote:
Badnarik, on the other hand, sent a mass email stating that Hawaii had succeeded.
Yes. It's a knee slapper.

Right now I'm in a bit of shock about the libertarians on the board.
It's a bit like discovering the follwers of Ghandi have formed their
own militia.
Old 5th August 2004, 10:37 AM   #168
crimresearch
Alumbrado

Quote:
Originally posted by Synchronicity
Yes. It's a knee slapper.

Right now I'm in a bit of shock about the libertarians on the board.
It's a bit like discovering the follwers of Ghandi have formed their
own militia.
Or that one of Gandhi's followers is ready to use a gun in order to preserve the principles of the party against traitors like Gandhi?
crimresearch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2004, 11:20 AM   #169
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by The Central Scrutinizer
But the point Varwoche is making, and you are missing, is that for a time, even if only for a nanosecond, he actually believed it. And you want his finger on the button?
So what, Bush and Kerry believe god is a skinny jew hippy who died by being nailed to a log. Do you want their finger(s) on the button?

Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2004, 11:26 AM   #170
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by Synchronicity
There is a Kerryism section on Slate. I haven't looked at it myself so I can't speak for it's quality, but here it is:

http://www.slate.com/?querytext=kerr...ction=fulltext

Old 5th August 2004, 07:15 PM   #171
shanek
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony
So what, Bush and Kerry believe god is a skinny jew hippy who died by being nailed to a log. Do you want their finger(s) on the button?
Heck, they probably even believe that what the Federal Reserve prints is real money...
shanek is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2004, 07:26 PM   #172
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Heck, they probably even believe that what the Federal Reserve prints is real money...
The Federal Reserve doesn't print money. Sorry to keep embarassing you.

Old 5th August 2004, 08:47 PM   #173
KelvinG
Master Poster

Quote:
Ah Tony, I rarely agree with what you say, but this was truly funny.
Old 5th August 2004, 09:33 PM   #174
Jocko
Philosopher

Quote:
Amazingly the country has survived 43 such men, and the only one who thought someone had seceded was actually CORRECT.

I'll take those 43 against your Mulder-wannabe any day.
Jocko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2004, 05:52 AM   #175
shanek
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
The Federal Reserve doesn't print money. Sorry to keep embarassing you.
You know absolutely nothing, do you? The Federal Reserve prints ALL of the paper legal tender in the US—why do you think it says "Federal Reserve Note" on all of them? Oh, you're probably going to be an @$$hole and say that they're really printed by the BEP...but they're printed by the BEP for the Fed! The Fed commissions the printing and the money is delivered to the Fed.

What a troll...
shanek is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2004, 07:38 AM   #176
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
I don't know. What do you call that fungible stuff that people trade for goods and services at a negotiated rate, accepted by any and all?

I think your concept of real has you in a religeous tizzy. If it really does function as money, it is money.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2004, 01:49 PM   #177
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
You know absolutely nothing, do you? The Federal Reserve prints ALL of the paper legal tender in the US—why do you think it says "Federal Reserve Note" on all of them? Oh, you're probably going to be an @$$hole and say that they're really printed by the BEP...but they're printed by the BEP for the Fed! The Fed commissions the printing and the money is delivered to the Fed.

What a troll...
Go into any Fed and ask to see the printing press. They will laugh at you like everyone else does.

Old 6th August 2004, 01:52 PM   #178
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by hgc
I don't know. What do you call that fungible stuff that people trade for goods and services at a negotiated rate, accepted by any and all?

I think your concept of real has you in a religeous tizzy. If it really does function as money, it is money.
In case you haven't noticed, shanek isn't the brightest bulb in the box.

Old 6th August 2004, 02:43 PM   #179
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
In case you haven't noticed, shanek isn't the brightest bulb in the box.
Yeah, I noticed. But that's not his biggest problem. It's his true-believer zeal that makes him an idiot par excellence.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2004, 02:52 PM   #180
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by hgc
Yeah, I noticed. But that's not his biggest problem. It's his true-believer zeal that makes him an idiot par excellence.
This is a trait that delusional, conspiracy believing, loonies have in common.

Old 6th August 2004, 04:01 PM   #181
shanek
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by hgc
Real money. As opposed to Federal Reserve money, which is valueless stuff that people are forced to trade for goods and services at a rate set by the government's spendthrifty ways, printing up so much it devalues the currency and makes prices higher for all of the rest of us.
Old 6th August 2004, 04:04 PM   #182
shanek
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Go into any Fed and ask to see the printing press. They will laugh at you like everyone else does.
Go to any CD label and ask to see the glass master machines. They'll laugh at you. That doesn't mean that they don't print CDs.

As a corollary, the Liberty Dollar is managed by NORFED. They obtain the silver, set the value, determine how much should be struck, put it into circulation, etc. But the actual physical Liberty Dollars themselves are struck by Sunshine Minting. So, I guess by your argument, NORFED doesn't make the Liberty Dollar.

Thank you for once again showing everyone here how desperate and pathetic you are.
Old 6th August 2004, 04:06 PM   #183
shanek
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
This is a trait that delusional, conspiracy believing, loonies have in common.
I challenge you to produce ONE conspiracy theory I "believe."
Old 6th August 2004, 07:53 PM   #184
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
I challenge you to produce ONE conspiracy theory I "believe."
Banks are "forced" to belong to the Federal Reserve. Care for me to list more?

Old 6th August 2004, 07:55 PM   #185
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Go to any CD label and ask to see the glass master machines. They'll laugh at you. That doesn't mean that they don't print CDs.

As a corollary, the Liberty Dollar is managed by NORFED. They obtain the silver, set the value, determine how much should be struck, put it into circulation, etc. But the actual physical Liberty Dollars themselves are struck by Sunshine Minting. So, I guess by your argument, NORFED doesn't make the Liberty Dollar.

Thank you for once again showing everyone here how desperate and pathetic you are.
Thanks for showing everyone, once again, what an embarassing mark you are. Have you "invested" in these Liberty coins? Do you keep them buried in the back yard of your trailer?

Old 6th August 2004, 08:17 PM   #186
shanek
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Banks are "forced" to belong to the Federal Reserve.
How is that a conspiracy theory? It's the truth, and no one's even trying to hide it. To run a bank, the bank has to be associated with its district bank of the Federal Reserve. By government mandate. In other words, by force. They're forced to apply by the Fed's rules, including reserve requirements and the Discount Rate. The Federal Reserve is also charged with enforcing banking regulations, so if you have a complaint about your bank, the Fed is who you go to. Additionally, these member banks jointly own their district bank, and the district banks own the Fed.

So, how is this a conspiracy theory?

I certainly hope you have other "conspiracy theories" I believe in that aren't directly acknowledged by the people involved.
Old 6th August 2004, 08:19 PM   #187
shanek
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Thanks for showing everyone, once again, what an embarassing mark you are. Have you "invested" in these Liberty coins? Do you keep them buried in the back yard of your trailer?
Nice way to avoid the question...and an ad hominem, too!

And what exactly is wrong, by the way, with investing in silver coins? Have you seen what the price of silver is doing this year? What about all of the commemorative silver coins struck by the US Mint? Are they only sold to "embarassing marks" too? What about Ithica Hours?
Old 6th August 2004, 08:25 PM   #188
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
How is that a conspiracy theory? It's the truth, and no one's even trying to hide it. To run a bank, the bank has to be associated with its district bank of the Federal Reserve. By government mandate. In other words, by force. They're forced to apply by the Fed's rules, including reserve requirements and the Discount Rate. The Federal Reserve is also charged with enforcing banking regulations, so if you have a complaint about your bank, the Fed is who you go to. Additionally, these member banks jointly own their district bank, and the district banks own the Fed.

So, how is this a conspiracy theory?

I certainly hope you have other "conspiracy theories" I believe in that aren't directly acknowledged by the people involved.
False.

Repeating something doesn't make it true.

Old 6th August 2004, 08:27 PM   #189
shanek
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
False.

Repeating something doesn't make it true.
Right, so repeating that what I said is false doesn't make your claim of falsehood true. Whereas everything I've said is actually how the actual Federal Reserve is actually structured.

Okay, let's try it this way: if it's a conspiracy theory, then who am I claiming are the conspirators? And what am I claiming is being covered up? I would say that, as a minimum, those two criteria are necessary to constitute a conspiracy theory. So, let's have it. How is my claim a conspiracy theory?
Old 6th August 2004, 08:27 PM   #190
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Nice way to avoid the question...and an ad hominem, too!

And what exactly is wrong, by the way, with investing in silver coins? Have you seen what the price of silver is doing this year? What about all of the commemorative silver coins struck by the US Mint? Are they only sold to "embarassing marks" too? What about Ithica Hours?
I have no interest in what the price of silver is doing this year. The discussion was about real money.

Do you buy the "collectable" coins distributed by the Franklin Mint?

Old 6th August 2004, 08:29 PM   #191
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Right, so repeating that what I said is false doesn't make your claim of falsehood true. Whereas everything I've said is actually how the actual Federal Reserve is actually structured.

Okay, let's try it this way: if it's a conspiracy theory, then who am I claiming are the conspirators? And what am I claiming is being covered up? I would say that, as a minimum, those two criteria are necessary to constitute a conspiracy theory. So, let's have it. How is my claim a conspiracy theory?
False again. You have no idea how the Federal Reserve is structured. Just admit it. Can you provide a link that says a bank is "forced" to join the Federal Reserve?

Old 6th August 2004, 08:34 PM   #192
shanek
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
I have no interest in what the price of silver is doing this year. The discussion was about real money.
The fact that you can put those two sentences together shows how ignorant you really are. The value of silver is what makes it real money. It's a store of value, and it's at least somewhat difficult to make.
Old 6th August 2004, 08:39 PM   #193
shanek
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
False again. You have no idea how the Federal Reserve is structured.
Enlighten us all, then: how do YOU claim it's structured?
Old 6th August 2004, 08:41 PM   #194
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Enlighten us all, then: how do YOU claim it's structured?
Come on Mark, you're the one that made the claim that banks were "forced" to join. Can you not back that claim up with evidence?

Old 6th August 2004, 08:43 PM   #195
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
The fact that you can put those two sentences together shows how ignorant you really are. The value of silver is what makes it real money. It's a store of value, and it's at least somewhat difficult to make.
So do you buy the coins issued by the Franlin Mint?

Old 7th August 2004, 05:54 AM   #196
shanek
Penultimate Amazing

Scrut, stop evading and answer the questions. I have answered all of yours.
Old 7th August 2004, 12:58 PM   #197
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Scrut, stop evading and answer the questions. I have answered all of yours.
You have not provided evidence that all banks are "forced" to join the Federal Reserve.

Tick...tick...tick....tick....

Old 7th August 2004, 01:08 PM   #198
Rob Lister

CS, I really don't think he wants to discuss the federal reserve anymore. Let's see if he'll clarify this statement:

Quote:
The value of silver is what makes it real money. It's a store of value, and it's at least somewhat difficult to make.
Other than it being difficult to make[sic], what gives silver its value?
Rob Lister is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2004, 01:18 PM   #199
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lister
CS, I really don't think he wants to discuss the federal reserve anymore. Let's see if he'll clarify this statement:

You're right of course. But I wouldn't expect an answer to your question either.

Old 7th August 2004, 02:08 PM   #200
shanek
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lister
That's pretty much it...being difficult to obtain, and being useful for stuff. That's what a commodity is. Money that has no value really isn't money at all; we're forced to value Fed money at the point of a gun.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics