IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 2nd June 2011, 02:14 PM   #1
Edx
Philosopher
 
Edx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,642
Molten metal in other fires?

Other than WTC6 that I know of, does any of our residant fire experts (or anyone else) know of any other examples of other fires left behind molten metal? Like a news or an official report that mentions it or something. I'm sure it exists since burning cars leave behind molten metal

Last edited by Edx; 2nd June 2011 at 02:20 PM.
Edx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 02:18 PM   #2
Thunder
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 34,918
Originally Posted by Edx View Post
Other than WTC6 that I know of, does any of our residant fire experts (or anyone else) know of any examples of other fires left behind molten metal? Like a news or an official report that mentions it or something.
We cut up a burned car in the woods. The aluminum from the engine or some other part melted, dripped onto the ground, and re-solidified. The resulting mass looked like something out of Terminator 2.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 02:30 PM   #3
ElMondoHummus
0.25 short of being half-witted
 
ElMondoHummus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Somewhere north of the South Pole
Posts: 12,279
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
We cut up a burned car in the woods. The aluminum from the engine or some other part melted, dripped onto the ground, and re-solidified. The resulting mass looked like something out of Terminator 2.
It looked like Robert Patrick?

__________________
"AND ZEPPELINS!!! We haven't even begun to talk about Zeppelins yet! Marauding inflatable Teutonic johnsons waggling their way across the sky! Indecent and flammable all at once."
ElMondoHummus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 02:32 PM   #4
Thunder
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 34,918
Originally Posted by ElMondoHummus View Post
It looked like Robert Patrick?

yes, but only as the redhead in Copland.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 02:37 PM   #5
Kensington Bailey
Critical Thinker
 
Kensington Bailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 410
Originally Posted by Edx View Post
Other than WTC6 that I know of, does any of our residant fire experts (or anyone else) know of any examples of other fires left behind molten metal? Like a news or an official report that mentions it or something.
You can find a variety of stories about airplanes that have burned and the fuselage essentially disappeared (melted) as aluminum has a lower melting point. Images of molten metal falling from the WTC that was hit in the corner are most likely the aluminum from the plane.
Kensington Bailey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 02:47 PM   #6
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing
 
leftysergeant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,863
Rarely do aluminum cooking pots survive the total involvement of a house in a useable condition. Brass fixtures and copper piping often melt in a really intense fire.

Steel mostly warps and bends.

It is a surprise not to find some molten metal or glass in any large fire.

There has, to my knowledge, never been one in which molten steel was found. (That includes WTC.)
__________________
No civilization ever collapsed because the poor had too much to eat.
leftysergeant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 02:51 PM   #7
Edx
Philosopher
 
Edx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,642
Yea thats what I thought, would just be nice to find some mention of it. If its so common I can understand why no one would but even if they did the search terms bring up so much woo its buried
Edx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 02:51 PM   #8
triforcharity
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,961
Originally Posted by Edx View Post
Other than WTC6 that I know of, does any of our residant fire experts (or anyone else) know of any other examples of other fires left behind molten metal? Like a news or an official report that mentions it or something. I'm sure it exists since burning cars leave behind molten metal
Yes, damn near every single fire that occurs.

Here's what NFPA 921 says about Molten Metal.


Originally Posted by NFPA 921
22.3.3 Solid Fuels. Investigators should not interpret the presence of melted
metals to be an indicator of the use of an ignitable liquid as an
accelerant, in the belief that only an ignitable liquid can produce
sufficiently high temperatures. Common combustibles
and ignitable liquids produce essentially the same flame temperature.
Melting temperatures given in handbooks and in
this guide are for the pure metal, unless otherwise stated. In
many cases, alloys are used rather than the pure metal. The
melting temperature of an alloy is generally lower than that of
its constituents. The actual composition of a metal part and its
melting temperature should be determined before any conclusions
are drawn from the fact that it has melted. Accidental
alloying may occur during a fire. For instance, zinc may drip
onto a copper wire or tube and form a brass alloy, which melts
at a lower temperature than copper. Likewise, molten aluminum
can drip onto steel sheet metal, which can cause the
appearance of melting of the sheet steel. Some properties and
uses of solid fuels are given in Table 22.3.3"

Also


Originally Posted by NFPA 921
21.5.1.3 Other Metals. Other metals, such as zinc or brass,might be used in housings. They would be likely to be just decorative
pieces or to be supports for other components. Zinc
melts at the relatively low temperature of 786°F (419°C) and
so is almost always found as a lump of gray metal. Brass is used
in many electrical terminals. Brasses have ranges of melting temperatures in the neighborhood of 1740°F (950°C). Brass items are often found to be partly melted or just distorted after a fire. Because it is an alloy, brass softens over a range of temperatures rather than melting at a specific temperature.
In conclusion, molten metal happens often. It is not suprising to find molten metal in a fire.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 02:59 PM   #9
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 16,668
Two personal observations:

1) Once as a kid we raked all the leaves from my grandfather's farm's homestead (say, 4 or 5 acres) into the garden (it was finished producing) and lit them on fire. I had a Mountain Dew can, and was going to toss it in the recycling bin. My uncle said "No, give it here, I've got something to show you." He dug out a small cave in the burning leaves and put the can in. We watched the thing melt. I said "Well, it could just be falling in"--at which point my uncle took it out and we saw that it had clearly melted, in that hte bottom half of the can was gone.

2) A great-uncle tried to clean a cast-aluminum piece of cooking equipment (it takes two slices of bread and pie filling and makes pies over a fire) by tossing it in the camp fire we'd built. This was a small one for us--the flames weren't 6' high yet. Ruined a great pie maker that way.

Bonus: At a family reunion they cooked stew ("Hey, what are we going to do with all these leftovers?" "Let's invite some people over! These guys will eat ANYTHING!") in cauldrens (no other word for them) over fires in old tire rims. By 3pm the tires were glowing bright orange. They were seriously deformed once the cooking was done--enough that we couldn't use them for a second round of cooking.

None of these involved anything but ordinary wood--some fruit wood, some pine, some box elder. In one case it was leaves. Give me a house to play with and I'll start casting iron and bronze. (As an aside, the mere presence of bronze weapons is enough to discount the whole "fire can't melt metal" idiocy--the only way to really make bronze weapons of the types we've found is to cast them, as bronze can't be forged the way iron isi and they didn't have the right tech anyway when the bronze stuff was made. Cast iron makes their case even worse--casting by definition involves molten metal.)
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 03:35 PM   #10
Edx
Philosopher
 
Edx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,642
Thanks Tri!

Thats just what I was looking for. Shame its not freely available you know what truthers are like, they'll just claim it doesn't really say that unless they can see it for free.

Next best thing, is it possible to take a screenshot of those quotes from the pdf (or whatever) and upload it to imageshack or something? If not, thanks all the same.

Last edited by Edx; 2nd June 2011 at 04:01 PM.
Edx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 03:52 PM   #11
triforcharity
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,961
Yes, EDX, I will do exactly that!

ETA:

number 1
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...nfpa921sg1.png
number 2
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...NFPA321SG2.png
Number 3
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...nfpa321SG3.png

Yeah, I understand though why it's not freely accessable. The fees they collect for their publications pay for their research.

Last edited by triforcharity; 2nd June 2011 at 04:03 PM.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 04:16 PM   #12
Edx
Philosopher
 
Edx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,642
Great! I'm surprised we haven't done this before now.

EDIT: Just noticed on the 3rd one about steel, it even says that under extreme conditions steel can melt in a fire! hahaha!

Last edited by Edx; 2nd June 2011 at 04:19 PM.
Edx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 04:39 PM   #13
Fizzard
Student
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 37
Sylmar fire's collateral damage
Los Angeles Times - Nov 28, 2008

Earlier this month, fire erupted in the hills above Sylmar. It blew through Oakridge Mobile Home Park, burning with such ferocity that rain gutters turned into pools of molten metal and car tires were melted down to tangled nests of steel radials.

========================

Deadly pile-up paralyses city
From: Herald Sun (Melbourne)
March 24, 2007 12:00AM

As the Burnley Tunnel tragedy unfolded:

WITNESSES watched a 15m fireball turn cars to molten metal and send thick plumes of smoke billowing skyward.
...

"This was extreme heat -- the wrecks are just molten metal," [Metropolitan Fire Brigade acting chief Keith Adamson] said.

========================

Police unable to locate drivers who escaped tunnel fire
The Daily Journal (San Mateo County), October 15, 2007

As the highway reopened early Monday, investigators worked to identify vehicles, some of which were reduced to molten steel in the fire's intense heat.

=========================

Tank Explosion Tied To California Bus Fire
Evening Independent - Jun 27, 1981

The intensity of the flames sent streams of molten metal running along the highway and blackened asphalt for a quarter of a mile.

...

[San Bernardino County Coroner Harvey Castro] said all the bodies were burned beyond recognition by the intense heat, "which just melted the bus."

=====================

Indicators of Trouble
John J. Lentini
w w w. firescientist.com/Documents/IndicatorsOfTrouble.pdf

A study of the 1991 Oakland fire that burned 3,000 homes revealed the presence of melted copper in over 80% of the burned structures, and what appeared to be melted steel in over 90% of the burned structures. With respect to steel, looks can be deceiving. What appears to be melted may be merely oxidized.

=====================

Fire Melts Steel Road Supports
Schenectady Gazette, August 7, 1989

A fire at an illegal dump beneath an elevated highway yesterday melted steel supports and buckled a section of the busy route into the New York metropolitan area, authorities said.

=====================

Old Amusement Park Burns
The Spokesman-Review (Spokane, WA) - Jul 22, 1963

Fire of searing intensity consumed much of the old Forest Park Highlands Amusement Park, a St. Louis landmark. The blaze, at its height here, "melted steel like butter," said one awed spectator.

=====================

Massive fire engulfs several blocks of Ybor City
Boca Raton News (Associated Press) - May 20, 2000

Several blocks of historic Ybor City went up in flames Friday, wiping out a $30 million luxury apartment complex under construction and destroying a post office.

The massive six-alarm blaze, caused by a construction accident, melted steel girders on nearby construction projects and sent construction workers and postal employees fleeing from the inferno.

=====================

Troopers Identify Fourth Victim In Fishing Boat Fire
Anchorage Daily News - Sep 15, 1982

Troopers said they have recovered remains of at least seven bodies from the fishing vessel Investor, which burned Sept. 7. The body of 4-year-old John Coulthurst was not found, but trooper spokesman Paul Edscorn said investigators believe the intense heat of the fire completely destroyed any remains.

"We're talking about a fire that melted steel," Edscorn said.

=====================

Worker Injured When Fire Erupts At Paint Warehouse
Ocala Star-Banner - May 28, 1987

Fire broke out at a paint warehouse on the city's north side Wednesday night, injuring one worker and turning the building into a pile of melted steel girders, authorities said.

=====================

Five-Alarm Blaze Razes Factory in New Orleans
The Victoria Advocate - Jul 9, 1980 (AP)

Flames, so hot they melted steel, destroyed the 800,000-square-foot American Standard plumbing accessories plant on Lake Pontchartrain early Tuesday and injured at least two firefighters who fought the spectacular blaze for more than six hours.

=====================

4 DIE IN HIGH-RISE FIRE
Chicago Sun-Times - January 18, 1996

What apparently drove residents to risk life and limb was dense, acrid smoke that filled the building and flames "so hot they melted steel," [Fire Commissioner Raymond] Orozco said.

=====================

Repairs to damaged stadium include safety improvements
USA TODAY - Aug 3, 1993

The fire, linked to cooking fuel left unattended, destroyed eight suites. Also, smoke damaged the press box and press lounge and the booth where the scoreboard and video displays are operated. The intense heat melted steel beams, forcing temporary closing of the 1,700 seats.

======================

Mobile home park is ground zero of Calif. wildfire
USA Today, November 15, 2008

Powerful Santa Ana winds continued to beat down, carrying ash and twigs from the devastated landscape. Elegant cacti spewed smoke and mail boxes hung from charred posts. Cars and motorcycles were reduced to piles of ash and molten steel.

Last edited by Fizzard; 2nd June 2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: added context
Fizzard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 05:02 PM   #14
Edx
Philosopher
 
Edx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,642
WOw your google skills are far better than mine, I can't imagine how hard it was to find these (maybe I'm just bad at googling) wading through all that truther crap.

Well that about does it for molten metal not being normal in fires.
Edx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 05:03 PM   #15
triforcharity
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,961
Great resources, but I am always cautious to use media reports, unless they include photos of something. They sometimes embellish the truth to make the story more exciting. But, not always.

The best sources for fire-related news, Fire Engineering magazine, or Journal of Fire Science, Fire Protection Engineering Magazine, Firehouse magazine, those are all good sources.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 05:05 PM   #16
Edx
Philosopher
 
Edx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,642
Originally Posted by triforcharity View Post
Great resources, but I am always cautious to use media reports, unless they include photos of something. They sometimes embellish the truth to make the story more exciting. But, not always.
There is at least a few that are professional sources, like Indicators of Trouble (I actually knew about that I should have checked it first)

The thing is it is actually relevant to give news sources because even if they mention melting steel and even if they are wrong, thats the kind of thing that on 911 truthers would go GAGA over. So its only right to show them that molten metal and molten steel are reported in other fires in the news in the same way. Its a great way to debunk this claim by showing this along with professional resources IMO

I mean think about it, you have truthers claiming that people HAD to have seen molten steel because they said steel, but here we can see that even before 911 people were saying steel melted from fire. It doesn't really matter if it did or not, because even if it was some other metal, what matters is they said it and thats what truthers always cling to with this claim in my experience.

Last edited by Edx; 2nd June 2011 at 05:42 PM.
Edx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 05:09 PM   #17
triforcharity
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,961
Edx,

The easiest way to search for something like "molten metal" and omit the woo, you can go to google.com and click on "Advanced search" and you can tell it to omit the text 911

It's works like a charm.


Or, you can type this in your search bar.

"Molten metal" -911, -conspiracy, whereas, the - designates what to omit.

Last edited by triforcharity; 2nd June 2011 at 05:11 PM.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 05:13 PM   #18
triforcharity
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,961
Originally Posted by Edx View Post
There is at least a few that are professional sources, like Indicators of Trouble (I actually knew about I should have checked it first)

The thing is it is actually relevant to give news sources because even if they mention melting steel and even if they are wrong, thats the kind of thing that on 911 truthers would go GAGA over. So its only right to show them that molten metal and molten steel are reported in other fires in the news in the same way. Its a great way to debunk this claim by showing this along with professional resources IMO

I mean think about it, you have truthers claiming that people HAD to have seen molten steel because they said steel, but here we can see that even before 911 people were saying steel melted from fire. It doesn't really matter if it did or not, because even if it was some other metal, what matters is they said it and thats what truthers always cling to with this claim in my experience.
I see what you mean, and you're exactly right. I didn't see it that way, but makes perfect sense.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 05:53 PM   #19
dropzone
Master Poster
 
dropzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,033
I was in a group of Boy Scouts working toward our Cooking merit badges. Well, I was, and the biscuits I cooked in my aluminum Dutch oven (you put hot coils on top to get surround heating) were mostly edible, but another Scout, BIG surprise as we were 12, wanted to see how hot he could make his. While I was eating my only-slightly-scorched biscuits the center of his coals collapsed and a pool of molten aluminum ran out of it. With a wood-fired campfire he had exceeded 1220 degrees F. I got my badge; he got a do-over.

Last edited by dropzone; 2nd June 2011 at 05:54 PM.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:08 PM   #20
Jrrarglblarg
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 12,673
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
I was in a group of Boy Scouts working toward our Cooking merit badges. Well, I was, and the biscuits I cooked in my aluminum Dutch oven (you put hot coils on top to get surround heating) were mostly edible, but another Scout, BIG surprise as we were 12, wanted to see how hot he could make his. While I was eating my only-slightly-scorched biscuits the center of his coals collapsed and a pool of molten aluminum ran out of it. With a wood-fired campfire he had exceeded 1220 degrees F. I got my badge; he got a do-over.
Yeah. How many cub scout belt loops was he wearing?
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:27 PM   #21
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger
 
TJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,774
Interstate 580 in Oakland California, 2007:





Originally Posted by Shameless Quotemine
"It's incredible, amazing," he said. "If fire can do that a steel structure like this, what can the next earthquake do?"


http://articles.sfgate.com/2007-04-2...y-firefighters
__________________
TJM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:36 PM   #22
dropzone
Master Poster
 
dropzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,033
Originally Posted by ApolloGnomon View Post
Yeah. How many cub scout belt loops was he wearing?
As he was a Boy Scout I would guess, "none," but guesswork is not legally admissible. You caught me, completely disproving the possibility that fire can melt any metal known to science.

dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2011, 03:07 AM   #23
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator
 
Sam.I.Am's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,627
Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
Interstate 580 in Oakland California, 2007:









http://articles.sfgate.com/2007-04-2...y-firefighters
Oh. My. Gawd!

There is a LAKE of melted steel in the foreground of that photo!

And ponds of the stuff in the background too!

That must've been therm*te-laced gasoline...
__________________
"Swift, silent and deadly" was a part of my job description Upon hearing me say that my friend asked me "So you're a fart?"...

About my avatar.
Sam.I.Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2011, 05:06 AM   #24
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing
 
leftysergeant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,863
I forgot to mention pot metal. It is an alloy of several metals such as aluminum and zinc which already have low melting points but, together, are even easier to melt and cast into just about any shape. It melts at such a low temperature that many scale modelers use it in a form made from self-vulcanizing sealant to replicate small parts like rifles, track shoes and gas cans.

It is also used in door handles and such on automobiles. They melt out rather easily.

I have noticed, when something made of this metal fails under stress, the edges of the fracture vaquely resemble John Hutchison's "shoe string metal."

I am working on aproject to see whether or not I can reproduce exactly the same sort of effect with an ordinary welding/cutting torch.
__________________
No civilization ever collapsed because the poor had too much to eat.
leftysergeant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2011, 01:12 PM   #25
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist
 
DGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West of Northshore MA
Posts: 24,734
Originally Posted by Fizzard View Post
Indicators of Trouble
John J. Lentini
http://www.firescientist.com/Documen...sOfTrouble.pdf

A study of the 1991 Oakland fire that burned 3,000 homes revealed the presence of melted copper in over 80% of the burned structures, and what appeared to be melted steel in over 90% of the burned structures. With respect to steel, looks can be deceiving. What appears to be melted may be merely oxidized.
Originally Posted by triforcharity View Post
Great resources, but I am always cautious to use media reports, unless they include photos of something. They sometimes embellish the truth to make the story more exciting. But, not always.

The best sources for fire-related news, Fire Engineering magazine, or Journal of Fire Science, Fire Protection Engineering Magazine, Firehouse magazine, those are all good sources.
I fixed the link to this article. Very interesting, especially the part where he talks about being careful about identifying metals.

BTW Welcome Fizzard!

__________________
"Remember that the goal of conspiracy rhetoric is to bog down the discussion, not to make progress toward a solution" Jay Windley

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2011, 03:12 PM   #26
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing
 
jaydeehess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 40 miles north of the border
Posts: 20,843
Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post
Rarely do aluminum cooking pots survive the total involvement of a house in a useable condition. Brass fixtures and copper piping often melt in a really intense fire.

Steel mostly warps and bends.

It is a surprise not to find some molten metal or glass in any large fire.

There has, to my knowledge, never been one in which molten steel was found. (That includes WTC.)
After a forest fire burned through and destroyed a buddy;s cabin we found his 22 cal rifle. Stock burned away completely but the rest looked absoluty fine,,, until I picked it up. It was now cooled to ambient temp but I could bend the barrel into a U without breaking a sweat.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2011, 05:10 PM   #27
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing
 
leftysergeant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,863
Originally Posted by jaydeehess View Post
After a forest fire burned through and destroyed a buddy;s cabin we found his 22 cal rifle. Stock burned away completely but the rest looked absoluty fine,,, until I picked it up. It was now cooled to ambient temp but I could bend the barrel into a U without breaking a sweat.
Most gun enthuiasts consider a weapon that has been in a fire to be totalled no matter how smoothly the action may still work. Your example is a clear illustration of that point.

It may be apocryphal, but an armorer I knew when I was on active duty related an account of the first test of a Browning .50 MG. Browning linked up a couple dozen belts of ammo and ran them all through the gun without a problem. When he stopped firing, the barrel sagged and was never useable again.
__________________
No civilization ever collapsed because the poor had too much to eat.
leftysergeant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2011, 08:24 PM   #28
triforcharity
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,961
I will absolutely agree Sarge. Do not EVER use a firearm that has been involved in a fire. Even if it looks fine, the metal could be fatigued, and it could fail. Don't ever want that. Ever.


Suprising though, not a single truther has posted in this thread. I can only speculate why...........
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:30 PM   #29
Justin39640
Illuminator
 
Justin39640's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,202
Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post
I forgot to mention pot metal.
Pantera?
__________________
"I joined this forum to learn about the people who think that 9/11 was an inside job. I've learned that they believe nutty things and are not very good at explaining them." - FineWine
"The agencies involved with studying the WTC collapse no more needed to consider explosives than the police need to consider brain cancer in a shooting death." - ElMondoHummus
Justin39640 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2011, 04:36 AM   #30
TheRedWorm
I AM the Red Worm!
 
TheRedWorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,452
Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post
Most gun enthuiasts consider a weapon that has been in a fire to be totalled no matter how smoothly the action may still work. Your example is a clear illustration of that point.

It may be apocryphal, but an armorer I knew when I was on active duty related an account of the first test of a Browning .50 MG. Browning linked up a couple dozen belts of ammo and ran them all through the gun without a problem. When he stopped firing, the barrel sagged and was never useable again.
Originally Posted by triforcharity View Post
I will absolutely agree Sarge. Do not EVER use a firearm that has been involved in a fire. Even if it looks fine, the metal could be fatigued, and it could fail. Don't ever want that. Ever.


Suprising though, not a single truther has posted in this thread. I can only speculate why...........

Thanks for the info, guys.
__________________
I'll be the best Congressman money can buy!

As usual, he doesn't understand the relevant sciences, can't Google for the right thing, and appears to rely on the notion that a word salad liberally sprinkled with Google Croutons will make his argument seem coherent. -JayUtah
TheRedWorm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2011, 05:40 AM   #31
Edx
Philosopher
 
Edx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,642
Fizzard its really hard to find several of these news reports online, where did you find them?


Originally Posted by Fizzard View Post
Sylmar fire's collateral damage
Los Angeles Times - Nov 28, 2008

Earlier this month, fire erupted in the hills above Sylmar. It blew through Oakridge Mobile Home Park, burning with such ferocity that rain gutters turned into pools of molten metal and car tires were melted down to tangled nests of steel radials.

========================

Deadly pile-up paralyses city
From: Herald Sun (Melbourne)
March 24, 2007 12:00AM

As the Burnley Tunnel tragedy unfolded:

WITNESSES watched a 15m fireball turn cars to molten metal and send thick plumes of smoke billowing skyward.
...

"This was extreme heat -- the wrecks are just molten metal," [Metropolitan Fire Brigade acting chief Keith Adamson] said.

========================

Police unable to locate drivers who escaped tunnel fire
The Daily Journal (San Mateo County), October 15, 2007

As the highway reopened early Monday, investigators worked to identify vehicles, some of which were reduced to molten steel in the fire's intense heat.

=========================

Tank Explosion Tied To California Bus Fire
Evening Independent - Jun 27, 1981

The intensity of the flames sent streams of molten metal running along the highway and blackened asphalt for a quarter of a mile.

...

[San Bernardino County Coroner Harvey Castro] said all the bodies were burned beyond recognition by the intense heat, "which just melted the bus."

=====================

Indicators of Trouble
John J. Lentini
w w w. firescientist.com/Documents/IndicatorsOfTrouble.pdf

A study of the 1991 Oakland fire that burned 3,000 homes revealed the presence of melted copper in over 80% of the burned structures, and what appeared to be melted steel in over 90% of the burned structures. With respect to steel, looks can be deceiving. What appears to be melted may be merely oxidized.

=====================

Fire Melts Steel Road Supports
Schenectady Gazette, August 7, 1989

A fire at an illegal dump beneath an elevated highway yesterday melted steel supports and buckled a section of the busy route into the New York metropolitan area, authorities said.

=====================

Old Amusement Park Burns
The Spokesman-Review (Spokane, WA) - Jul 22, 1963

Fire of searing intensity consumed much of the old Forest Park Highlands Amusement Park, a St. Louis landmark. The blaze, at its height here, "melted steel like butter," said one awed spectator.

=====================

Massive fire engulfs several blocks of Ybor City
Boca Raton News (Associated Press) - May 20, 2000

Several blocks of historic Ybor City went up in flames Friday, wiping out a $30 million luxury apartment complex under construction and destroying a post office.

The massive six-alarm blaze, caused by a construction accident, melted steel girders on nearby construction projects and sent construction workers and postal employees fleeing from the inferno.

=====================

Troopers Identify Fourth Victim In Fishing Boat Fire
Anchorage Daily News - Sep 15, 1982

Troopers said they have recovered remains of at least seven bodies from the fishing vessel Investor, which burned Sept. 7. The body of 4-year-old John Coulthurst was not found, but trooper spokesman Paul Edscorn said investigators believe the intense heat of the fire completely destroyed any remains.

"We're talking about a fire that melted steel," Edscorn said.

=====================

Worker Injured When Fire Erupts At Paint Warehouse
Ocala Star-Banner - May 28, 1987

Fire broke out at a paint warehouse on the city's north side Wednesday night, injuring one worker and turning the building into a pile of melted steel girders, authorities said.

=====================

Five-Alarm Blaze Razes Factory in New Orleans
The Victoria Advocate - Jul 9, 1980 (AP)

Flames, so hot they melted steel, destroyed the 800,000-square-foot American Standard plumbing accessories plant on Lake Pontchartrain early Tuesday and injured at least two firefighters who fought the spectacular blaze for more than six hours.

=====================

4 DIE IN HIGH-RISE FIRE
Chicago Sun-Times - January 18, 1996

What apparently drove residents to risk life and limb was dense, acrid smoke that filled the building and flames "so hot they melted steel," [Fire Commissioner Raymond] Orozco said.

=====================

Repairs to damaged stadium include safety improvements
USA TODAY - Aug 3, 1993

The fire, linked to cooking fuel left unattended, destroyed eight suites. Also, smoke damaged the press box and press lounge and the booth where the scoreboard and video displays are operated. The intense heat melted steel beams, forcing temporary closing of the 1,700 seats.

======================

Mobile home park is ground zero of Calif. wildfire
USA Today, November 15, 2008

Powerful Santa Ana winds continued to beat down, carrying ash and twigs from the devastated landscape. Elegant cacti spewed smoke and mail boxes hung from charred posts. Cars and motorcycles were reduced to piles of ash and molten steel.
Edx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2011, 09:07 AM   #32
Edx
Philosopher
 
Edx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,642
While Fizzard gets back to me I'll link some more examples here to archive:

"The station’s newscast that evening stated that the fire reached a temperature of 5,000F/2,760C and melted thick metal plates"

http://windowssecrets.com/introducti...ndows-secrets/


"Melted metal from the alloy wheels of burnt-out vehicles runs along the ground after a bushfire swept through Bendigo"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pict...s.html?image=8

And one from Fizzard's list I could find:

"As the highway reopened early Monday, investigators worked to identify vehicles, some of which were reduced to molten steel in the fire's intense heat."

http://smdailyjournal.com/article_pr...ate=10/16/2007

Last edited by Edx; 4th June 2011 at 09:10 AM.
Edx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2011, 02:19 PM   #33
George 152
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,012
Originally Posted by triforcharity View Post
I will absolutely agree Sarge. Do not EVER use a firearm that has been involved in a fire. Even if it looks fine, the metal could be fatigued, and it could fail. Don't ever want that. Ever.


Suprising though, not a single truther has posted in this thread. I can only speculate why...........
Damascus wound shotgun barrels come to mind.
And why Bren gun crews carry spare barrels.
Or the modern naval anti-aircraft gun barrels limited life span..
George 152 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2011, 02:57 PM   #34
Fizzard
Student
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by Edx View Post
Fizzard its really hard to find several of these news reports online, where did you find them?
Sorry, I should have mentioned that all of those reports can be found in the Google News Archive.

news.google.com/archivesearch

(I'm still not allowed to post a fully formed link, alas.)
Fizzard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2011, 05:43 PM   #35
Edx
Philosopher
 
Edx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,642
Originally Posted by Fizzard View Post
Sorry, I should have mentioned that all of those reports can be found in the Google News Archive.

news.google.com/archivesearch

(I'm still not allowed to post a fully formed link, alas.)

That is so awesome. Thanks!!
Edx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2011, 07:45 PM   #36
alphahelix
Thinker
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 130
Originally Posted by triforcharity View Post

- Interesting information that leaves me with a question.-
Is it possible to raise the melting point of a metal?

Its mainly a curious question, and I appologise for the JAQ-off.

Part of me figures that the purity of the metal is the only way to achieve that and there is a upper limit to even what the puriest of metal can with stand before it changes phase or begins to show any kind of softening.

But hanging round here I've learned that nothing is ever that simple.
alphahelix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2011, 07:50 PM   #37
triforcharity
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,961
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
Is it possible to raise the melting point of a metal?

Its mainly a curious question, and I appologise for the JAQ-off.

Part of me figures that the purity of the metal is the only way to achieve that and there is a upper limit to even what the puriest of metal can with stand before it changes phase or begins to show any kind of softening.

But hanging round here I've learned that nothing is ever that simple.
Obviously, as you said, an unpure metal will melt at a lower temp than the pure form of that metal.

But, can you expand on this a little? Like, by "raise the melting point" do you mean like insulation or chemicals?
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2011, 10:05 PM   #38
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator
 
WildCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 59,856
Quote:
Firefighter Tim Hebert received a burn on his shoulder when heat and molten aluminum penetrated his fire coat.
http://www.eagletribune.com/newhamps...y-morning-fire
__________________
Vive la liberté!
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2011, 12:31 AM   #39
alphahelix
Thinker
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 130
Originally Posted by triforcharity View Post
Obviously, as you said, an unpure metal will melt at a lower temp than the pure form of that metal.

But, can you expand on this a little? Like, by "raise the melting point" do you mean like insulation or chemicals?
Like something that is added to the actual alloy itself during the smelting stage. There is a lot of good discussion around here that shows anything added to the metal after its in place (insulation), is designed to either slow heating or prevent it until the added substance has reached its threshold for such prevention.

I was wondering if its possible to add things to the actual smelting and shaping stages of any metal (steel for this example) that would raise the melting point (or a point that its integrity is compromised).
alphahelix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2011, 03:50 AM   #40
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator
 
Sam.I.Am's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,627
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
Like something that is added to the actual alloy itself during the smelting stage. There is a lot of good discussion around here that shows anything added to the metal after its in place (insulation), is designed to either slow heating or prevent it until the added substance has reached its threshold for such prevention.

I was wondering if its possible to add things to the actual smelting and shaping stages of any metal (steel for this example) that would raise the melting point (or a point that its integrity is compromised).
The short answer is "Yes"... But at a price.

Generally speaking (I'm not a metallurgist so if I'm wrong I'm sure that I'll be corrected) changing the properties of a metal to have a higher melting point usually means a change in flexibility and strength and those changes would make it difficult and more expensive than building a similar structure out of conventional steel. It's cheaper and less complicated to install fire protection and suppression systems at the time of construction.
__________________
"Swift, silent and deadly" was a part of my job description Upon hearing me say that my friend asked me "So you're a fart?"...

About my avatar.
Sam.I.Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:52 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.