IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th July 2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Zeuzzz
Banned

Pyramids

Mod InfoSplit from here.
Posted By:Cuddles

Originally Posted by Chunol View Post
Chunol….
My investigation into this has shown me that, historically, there have been individuals, societies, cultures and (possibly) even civilizations who accepted the “un certainty” of nature, and not only found ways to live with this knowledge but actually reveled in it.

Anyway, thanks for your time.
Chunol

This last sentence got me thinking about this documentary about egypt and the pyramids, and what most modern day architects have to say about them contrasted with the views of 'established' egyptologists:

The Revelation of the Pyramids
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Cuddles; 17th July 2012 at 06:49 AM.
Zeuzzz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2012, 04:16 PM   #2
PixyMisa
Persnickety Insect

Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
This last sentence got me thinking about this documentary about egypt and the pyramids, and what most modern day architects have to say about them contrasted with the views of 'established' egyptologists:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
No.
Old 16th July 2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Perpetual Student
Illuminator

I AGREE
Why do you embarrass yourself by posting such garbage?

ξ
Perpetual Student is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Zeuzzz
Banned

Originally Posted by Perpetual Student View Post

Precisely to embarrass myself, if they are shown wrong here; or if not shown wrong with subsequent posts, I study the reactions of the people that dismissed them first, and how they deal with it and by which defence mechanisms.

Which is a fascinating area of research I have been conducting throughout this thread, and many others, for quite some time.
Zeuzzz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Zeuzzz
Banned

I'm not going to waste my time with your videos. State your point or not.

The pyramids were built to be earthquake proof, which is why they have stood for so long when others around the world have crumbled. Similar anti-earthquake design architecture based on the stone patterns are found in a few places round the world too, but only in a few select places. And these disparate areas are all perfectly aligned along the equator by 30%. Also the golden ratio often used in architecture is found throughout the pyramids constructions, a number not discovered (as history books would have us belive) by about 1500-1600 by European architects. Its an irregular number (1.6180339887 or φ). Also the number Pi is derived from some sort of configuration in the pyramids construction, and used in another way somehow, which Egyptologists deny they could have worked out back then and say it was just chance.

The pyramids were aligned to perfect north to a precision we would find it hard to match today. And similar pyramids are on the same 30% line to the equator have this same magnetic allignment too, linking to to easter Island amongst many others. Most of the engineers admit in the documentary that if they had to build the pyramids now they would have to just do what the egyptians did somehow, as we have yet to produce something with such weight that sinks so little over such a long time (few inches over ~4000 years, whereas most of ours sink feet over decades), and even shows half of the engineering ideas used to build them are at least as advanced as some of our modern ones, if not more advanced. Most the the blocks inside are still aligned perfectly at right angles, with no cement, to more than four significant figures accuracy. And they discuss the size and weight of rocks in a monument in peru, with similar anti earthquake design, that our cranes would hardly be able to lift today too. Also on the 30 degree line.

Also discuss a lot of the pots, which were made with extreme precession that we could replicate today but would have been hard even over hundred years back. Much more information, try to ignore the conspiracist overtones, it might put off your rational thinking (If you watch it).

Maybe this should be split, but the above post linked in quite well with it. Would be great to hear further comments from Chunoi about what he was alluding to when he made the comment about previous civilisations.

Last edited by Zeuzzz; 16th July 2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 16th July 2012, 07:57 PM   #6
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

The pyramids were built to be earthquake proof, which is why they have stood for so long when others around the world have crumbled. Similar anti-earthquake design architecture based on the stone patterns are found in a few places round the world too, but only in a few select places. And these disparate areas are all perfectly aligned along the equator by 30%. Also the golden ratio often used in architecture is found throughout the pyramids constructions, a number not discovered (as history books would have us belive) by about 1500-1600 by European architects. Its an irregular number (1.6180339887 or φ). Also the number Pi is derived from some sort of configuration in the pyramids construction, and used in another way somehow, which Egyptologists deny they could have worked out back then and say it was just chance.

The pyramids were aligned to perfect north to a precision we would find it hard to match today. And similar pyramids are on the same 30% line to the equator have this same magnetic allignment too, linking to to easter Island amongst many others. Most of the engineers admit in the documentary that if they had to build the pyramids now they would have to just do what the egyptians did somehow, as we have yet to produce something with such weight that sinks so little over such a long time (few inches over ~4000 years, whereas most of ours sink feet over decades), and even shows half of the engineering ideas used to build them are at least as advanced as some of our modern ones, if not more advanced. Most the the blocks inside are still aligned perfectly at right angles, with no cement, to more than four significant figures accuracy. And they discuss the size and weight of rocks in a monument in peru, with similar anti earthquake design, that our cranes would hardly be able to lift today too. Also on the 30 degree line.

Also discuss a lot of the pots, which were made with extreme precession that we could replicate today but would have been hard even over hundred years back. Much more information, try to ignore the conspiracist overtones, it might put off your rational thinking (If you watch it).

Maybe this should be split, but the above post linked in quite well with it. Would be great to hear further comments from Chunoi about what he was alluding to when he made the comment about previous civilisations.
Just in case someone read this and has thought, "Wow. That's interesting information", I should like to point out that all of it is pretty much wrong.

and even
Old 16th July 2012, 08:02 PM   #7
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

The pyramids were built to be earthquake proof
Got a reference for that claim?

Quote:
...Also the golden ratio often used in architecture is found throughout the pyramids constructions, a number not discovered (as history books would have us belive) by about 1500-1600 by European architects.
Oh, geez. If you'd even looked at the very Wikipedia reference you'd provided you know that wasn't true. You just make things up as you go along, don't you? At any rate, the golden ratio occurs naturally in many architectural features. You don't have to try very hard to find phi.

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2012, 08:06 PM   #8
Zeuzzz
Banned

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Just in case someone read this and has thought, "Wow. That's interesting information", I should like to point out that all of it is pretty much wrong.

and even

Well we shall see :-) I've requested a split, so we can keep discussing it there. Simply claiming it's wrong, or not watching the documentary, isn't very productive for a meaningful conversation. Wrong as it might be
Old 16th July 2012, 08:59 PM   #9
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Well we shall see :-) I've requested a split, so we can keep discussing it there. Simply claiming it's wrong, or not watching the documentary, isn't very productive for a meaningful conversation. Wrong as it might be
I was just happy to post my warning.

If you want to believe some loony nonsense, go right ahead. Maybe someone with more patience and time than I have right now may wish to amuse him- or herself by attempting to educate you.

Old 16th July 2012, 10:29 PM   #10
PixyMisa
Persnickety Insect

Simply claiming it's wrong, or not watching the documentary, isn't very productive for a meaningful conversation.
It's not a documentary, Zeuzzz, it's just some crap you found on Youtube.

If you wish to present any actual evidence in support of your current nonsense?
Old 16th July 2012, 10:44 PM   #11
Perpetual Student
Illuminator

I've requested a split, so we can keep discussing it there.
Let me add a request that it be split to the "humor" forum.

ξ
Perpetual Student is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2012, 10:55 PM   #12
Zeuzzz
Banned

Originally Posted by PixyMisa View Post
It's not a documentary, Zeuzzz, it's just some crap you found on Youtube.

If you wish to present any actual evidence in support of your current nonsense?
Starts at 1.14 hours into the video, if you want to watch.

The ring of anient archealogical pyramids and significant cultural icons show a ring around the Earth, at odds with the equator as it currently stands (about 30 degrees out). If you take this as an old equator line and work out where the poles would have been if this line was the equator back then then the line drawn between the great pyramids, nazka and the new north pole is the exact shape of the Giza pyramids.

The distance between the giza pyramids and Nazka also equals the distance between Giza and Tiathihuican.

The same is true for the distance between Ankor Vat and Nazka. And Mohenjo Daro and Easter Island. The distance between Easter Island and Giza is 10,000 times the golden number. Likewise the distance between Angkor and Giza multiplied by the Golden number equals the distance between Giza and Nazka. And that distance multiplied by the golden number equals the Naska Anhkor distance.

There was also a bit later about how the speed of light can be worked out from something they left us, I'll try to dig that up later.

Last edited by Zeuzzz; 16th July 2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 16th July 2012, 11:03 PM   #13
Perpetual Student
Illuminator

Yikes! Aliens!!!

ξ
Old 16th July 2012, 11:10 PM   #14
Zeuzzz
Banned

Yikes! Aliens!!!

Who said that? What a weird conclusion.
Old 16th July 2012, 11:26 PM   #15
Perpetual Student
Illuminator

Who said that? What a weird conclusion.
OK, I'll bite. What is it?

Atlanteans?
One of the lost tribes of Israel?
Camelot?
Vampires?
Titans?
A mysterious prehistoric advanced civilization -- the woo-ties?

ξ
Old 16th July 2012, 11:31 PM   #16
Zeuzzz
Banned

I don't have a clue. And don't claim to. But the evidence and data in the documentary is above, as requested.
Old 16th July 2012, 11:36 PM   #17
PixyMisa
Persnickety Insect

No.

Quote:
The ring of anient archealogical pyramids and significant cultural icons show a ring around the Earth
No they don't. Look at the images.

Quote:
at odds with the equator as it currently stands (about 30 degrees out). If you take this as an old equator line
Then you're crazy. We know where the equator was when the pyramids were built: Right where it is today.
Old 16th July 2012, 11:37 PM   #18
PixyMisa
Persnickety Insect

I don't have a clue. And don't claim to. But the evidence and data in the documentary is above, as requested.
It's not a documentary, Zeuzzz. It's just some crap you found on Youtube. None of it is true. Check the claims yourself before posting them.
Old 17th July 2012, 12:23 AM   #19
Zeuzzz
Banned

It's not a documentary, Zeuzzz. It's just some crap you found on Youtube. None of it is true. Check the claims yourself before posting them.

I checked with google Earth, seems to fit from a cursory look. I added all the pointers of the locations, and drew some lines to check some of the distances.

Then you're crazy. We know where the equator was when the pyramids were built: Right where it is today.

Since many of the sites along the line are precisely oriented to the present North and South Poles, it is not suggested that they were constructed when the poles were in a prior location. We can just work out where the pole would be if this was considered an equator.

Last edited by Zeuzzz; 17th July 2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 17th July 2012, 12:29 AM   #20
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

The distance between Easter Island and Giza is 10,000 times the golden number.
In what units?
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2012, 12:33 AM   #21
PixyMisa
Persnickety Insect

I checked with google Earth, seems to fit from a cursory look. I added all the pointers of the locations, and drew some lines to check some of the distances.
Evidence and statistical significance?

Quote:
Since many of the sites along the line are precisely oriented to the present North and South Poles, it is not suggested that they were constructed when the poles were in a prior location. We can just work out where the pole would be if this was considered an equator.
Orthogonal is the answer. But why you'd bother is the question, because the equator wasn't there.
Old 17th July 2012, 01:07 AM   #22
ddt
Mafia Penguin

The pyramids were built to be earthquake proof,
No. They might happen to be, but you have no evidence at all they were designed that way.

And these disparate areas are all perfectly aligned along the equator by 30%.
Latitude is measured in percentages? Also: No.

Also the golden ratio often used in architecture is found throughout the pyramids constructions, a number not discovered (as history books would have us belive) by about 1500-1600 by European architects. Its an irregular number (1.6180339887 or φ).
What's an "irregular" number? Also: No. See that wiki page you linked to.

Also the number Pi is derived from some sort of configuration in the pyramids construction, and used in another way somehow, which Egyptologists deny they could have worked out back then and say it was just chance.
Huh? Care to explain exactly what you mean? Pi crops up in a number of places, but AFAIK its historic first definition was the ratio between diameter and circumference of a circle.

The pyramids were aligned to perfect north to a precision we would find it hard to match today.
Really? Could we not align a building within 15'?

And similar pyramids are on the same 30% line to the equator have this same magnetic allignment too, linking to to easter Island amongst many others.
And now you're really getting silly. Ancient Egyptians were in cahoots with Ancient Babylonians, with Precolumbian Azteks and with the builders of the Moai on Easter Island to design buildings? Not to mention just the different timeframes we're talking about.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2012, 01:19 AM   #23
ddt
Mafia Penguin

No really, I pass. I don't care for pyramidiocy. Also, how did this thread get from silliness about Cantor and Gödel to discussing claims of pyramidiots?

The distance between the giza pyramids and Nazka also equals the distance between Giza and Tiathihuican.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...4fde309e42.png

The same is true for the distance between Ankor Vat and Nazka. And Mohenjo Daro and Easter Island. The distance between Easter Island and Giza is 10,000 times the golden number. Likewise the distance between Angkor and Giza multiplied by the Golden number equals the distance between Giza and Nazka. And that distance multiplied by the golden number equals the Naska Anhkor distance.
And even if so. The pyramids of Giza were built ca. 2600BC. The Teothiuacan Pyramid of the Sun ca. 100 AD. Angkor Wat ca. 1200 AD. And what has Angkor Wat to do with pyramids? The Moai of Easter Island somewhere between 1000 AD and 1600 AD. And again, what has that to do with pyramids again?

This whole idea that they're somehow connected is pure, unadultered idiocy.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2012, 02:17 AM   #24
ddt
Mafia Penguin

No, he said he wasn't sure about one of them being infinite (the universe) but human stupidity was definitely infinite.
Anyway, there are plenty of posts in this thread a case in point for that second one.

I'll need to re-watch the documentary and post the main points, see if they stand up to further scrutiny. This thread is getting hijacked now by this material ...
Hijacked??? You're the one who posted that video... Why not simply admit that pyramidiocy is just that, idiocy, forget the whole episode, and move on.

Old 17th July 2012, 02:22 AM   #25
Zeuzzz
Banned

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Hijacked??? You're the one who posted that video... Why not simply admit that pyramidiocy is just that, idiocy, forget the whole episode, and move on.

Done. Might start a thread in the CT in future, but should not have brought it up here. I only just watched it, is why.
Old 17th July 2012, 02:54 AM   #26
punshhh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Anyway, there are plenty of posts in this thread a case in point for that second one.

I do find it fascinating how the stones where fitted together so accurately in 3 dimensions. As a craftsman I know how difficult this can be. I would say our engineering technology may only know be able to reproduce such precision.
punshhh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2012, 03:27 AM   #27
laca
Illuminator

Originally Posted by punshhh View Post
I do find it fascinating how the stones where fitted together so accurately in 3 dimensions. As a craftsman I know how difficult this can be. I would say our engineering technology may only know be able to reproduce such precision.
You would be, as usual, dead wrong.
laca is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2012, 03:28 AM   #28
Acleron
Master Poster

The ring of anient archealogical pyramids and significant cultural icons show a ring around the Earth, at odds with the equator as it currently stands (about 30 degrees out). If you take this as an old equator line and work out where the poles would have been if this line was the equator back then then the line drawn between the great pyramids, nazka and the new north pole is the exact shape of the Giza pyramids.

Why isn't Woolworths in these advanced calculations?
Quote:
"Three stores around Birmingham formed an exact equilateral triangle (Wolverhampton, Lichfield and Birmingham stores) and if the base of the triangle is extended, it forms a 173.8 mile line linking the Conwy and Luton stores. Despite the 173.8 mile distance involved, the Conwy Woolworths store is only 40 feet off the exact line and the Luton site is within 30 feet. All four stores align with an accuracy of 0.05%."

Parker used an ancient technique: he found his patterns in 800 ex-Woolworths locations by "skipping over the vast majority, and only choosing the few that happen to line up".
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2012, 05:11 AM   #29
dlorde
Philosopher

The pyramids were built to be earthquake proof, [... blah ...] a lot of the pots, which were made with extreme precession that we could replicate today but would have been hard even over hundred years back.
[precision?]

It's one long, ill-informed, argument from incredulity, but to what end?

What is your point - that the Egyptians are easily underestimated? that our skills in some areas don't match theirs? lost technologies? lost civilizations? magic? aliens? God?

Last edited by dlorde; 17th July 2012 at 05:12 AM.
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2012, 05:41 AM   #30
dlorde
Philosopher

There was also a bit later about how the speed of light can be worked out from something they left us, I'll try to dig that up later.
There's also some geometrical alignments of ancient sites, ley lines, etc., that you should have a look at - the pyramids are involved there too; oh, and have you checked out the Bible Code?

Also, isn't it amazing how the moon is just the right size and just far enough away to exactly cover the sun during an eclipse (or is it the sun that is the right size and distance, I'm never quite sure)?

Did you know that there was a Canadian farmer called Mr McDonald, whose postcode contained the letter sequence EIEIO?
Old 17th July 2012, 06:36 AM   #31
Zeuzzz
Banned

Originally Posted by dlorde View Post
There's also some geometrical alignments of ancient sites, ley lines, etc., that you should have a look at - the pyramids are involved there too; oh, and have you checked out the Bible Code?

Also, isn't it amazing how the moon is just the right size and just far enough away to exactly cover the sun during an eclipse (or is it the sun that is the right size and distance, I'm never quite sure)?

Did you know that there was a Canadian farmer called Mr McDonald, whose postcode contained the letter sequence EIEIO?

Why do you keep bringing up completely unrelated things?

Anyway, since other people seem to be continuing this discussion even though I did not want to, might as well keep going.

The ratio between the halve of the base length and the side length of the giza pyramid is 1 : φ. Did the pyramid builders knew about the Golden Mean, or is this just a coincidence?

Let us add two side lengths and then subtract the height from this sum:
230.38 + 230.38 – 146.61 = 314.15

The outcome shows the first five digits of pi. Did the pyramid builders knew about π, or is this just a coincidence?

By dividing two side lengths by the height, we get a very good approximation of π (230.38 + 230.38) / 146.61 = 3.142759…

When we draw a circle within the base square, its diameter equals the side length of the square, which is 230.38. Its circumference is therefore π×230.38 = 723.7601155

When we draw a circle perfectly around the base square, we need Pythagoras’ Theorem to calculate its radius

r2 = 2 × (230.38/2)2 = 26,537.4722
r = 26,537.4722 = 162.9032602..

Its circumference is therefore π × 2 × 162.9032602 = 1023.551371

Let us see what we get, when we calculate the difference between both circumferences?

1,023.551371… - 723.7601155… = 299.7912558…

Does this outcome remind us of something? The speed of light in vacuum in megameters per second is 299.792458... Again, the first five digits are correct. Did the pyramid builders know about the speed of light? Or is this just a coincidence?

Last edited by Zeuzzz; 17th July 2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 17th July 2012, 06:44 AM   #32
PixyMisa
Persnickety Insect

Quote:
The outcome shows the first five digits of pi. Did the pyramid builders knew about π, or is this just a coincidence?
Neither. It's numerology.
Old 17th July 2012, 06:47 AM   #33
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2012, 06:59 AM   #34
Mehdimentio
Thinker

The pyramids were built to be earthquake proof, which is why they have stood for so long when others around the world have crumbled.
It's not like the pyramids would take on another shape if they really were to crumble...
Old 17th July 2012, 07:04 AM   #35
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Hey Z, rather than posting more numerology perhaps you could answer the questions posed to you? For instance:

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Quote:
The distance between Easter Island and Giza is 10,000 times the golden number.
In what units?
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2012, 07:07 AM   #36
dlorde
Philosopher

I'm just continuing your theme. Numerology, finding patterns and coincidences in carefully selected datasets, ignoring data that doesn't fit, and being tolerant of inaccuracies and terminological inexactitudes.

Last edited by dlorde; 17th July 2012 at 07:08 AM.
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2012, 07:08 AM   #37
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Does this outcome remind us of something? The speed of light in vacuum in megameters per second is 299.792458... Again, the first five digits are correct. Did the pyramid builders know about the speed of light? Or is this just a coincidence?
So you think the pyramid builders used the meter as a measure of distance?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre
Quote:
1791 March 30 – The French National Assembly accepts the proposal by the French Academy of Sciences that the new definition for the metre be equal to one ten-millionth of the length of the Earth's meridian along a quadrant through Paris, that is the distance from the equator to the north pole.
Isaac Asimov
Old 17th July 2012, 07:12 AM   #38
DrDave
Illuminator

Precisely to embarrass myself, if they are shown wrong here; or if not shown wrong with subsequent posts, I study the reactions of the people that dismissed them first, and how they deal with it and by which defence mechanisms.

Which is a fascinating area of research I have been conducting throughout this thread, and many others, for quite some time.
What's the name for that? Trollology?
DrDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2012, 07:20 AM   #39
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

That really does sound like an overly ponderous way of saying "I do it to troll." I often hear crazy defended via the "I do it to gauge people's reactions" song and dance and it makes no sense and really reads as nothing more then a handwave excuse to just screw with people.

"People keep telling me that FFXIII get's good about 10 hours in. You know that's not really a point in it's favor right?" - Yahtzee Croshaw.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2012, 07:32 AM   #40
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

The pyramids were built to be earthquake proof,

The pyramids (in Egypt, South America and China at least) were built on the only architectural plan available for large builings - a pile. The pile gets smaller and lighter as it goes up and the center of gravity gets lower and denser. If you took a building, crushed it, and dumped it on the ground, it would be in the shape of a pile. The "fact" that the pyramids are earthquake proof (if, indeed, they are) is nothing other than the fact that the buildings are already in a very low energetic state.

Quote:
Also the number Pi is derived from some sort of configuration in the pyramids construction, and used in another way somehow, which Egyptologists deny they could have worked out back then and say it was just chance.

Actually, I saw a show where an Egyptologist explains exactly why pi appears in calculations about the pyramids. Then, as now, distances were frequently measured by rolling a disc of known circumference along the ground. The wheel might be marked off with a 1, 2 and 3, so that a full rotation meant that you had measured 3 of whatever unit you were using. Here's a measuring wheel now.

According to the Egyptologist, since measuring wheels have pi built in to them, it's almost impossible to use them to lay out a structure without introducing Pi.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal