ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags disclosure project , ET's , Stephen Greer

Reply
Old 4th August 2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Björn Toulouse
Cavitus Rectum
 
Björn Toulouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,435
Stephen Greer Attempts to Stiff Supporters With Possible ET Stiff

The Woo sites have been drooling lately about the First Contact possibilities that the year 2012 has to offer, a lot of those dates for August, and today, the 4th, was supposed to be a big one too.

Stephen Greer's blog has been out there for a week but I just stumbled across this where Greer says they may actually have an ET or EBE stiff:


Quote:
There is a chance that we may be able to include in the film “Sirius” the scientific testing of a possible Extraterrestrial Biological Entity (EBE) that has been recovered and is deceased. This EBE is in the possession of a cooperative institute desiring further scientific evaluation of the possible ET. We cannot reveal at this time the location of this being or the name of the person or persons who possess it.

Dr. Jan Bravo- who is a STAR Board member and a fellow Emergency Physician- and I have actually visited the group that possesses this EBE and have personally and professionally examined the being. It is indeed an actual deceased body, and most certainly is not plastic or man-made. It has a head, 2 arms and 2 legs and is humanoid . We have seen and examined X-Rays of the being. Its anatomy however is not homo sapien (modern human) or any known hominid (predecessors to humans).

And here comes the pitch:


Quote:
If you can assist further with funding the campaign for Sirius we will attempt to carry out this scientific inquiry, however daunting it may be. We are currently investigating what these costs will be, but they will certainly be in the tens of thousands of dollars and perhaps more.

I guess he can always say later "we didn't quite get enough money" to perform the proper testing.
__________________
The most complete and happy victory is this: to compel one's enemy to give up his purpose, while suffering no harm oneself.

Belisarius
Björn Toulouse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Stray Cat
Philosopher
 
Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,829
Yeah, the conman Steven Greed is going to disclose information about free energy as soon as he raises a few hundred thousand dollars to make a propaganda movie.

Well durrrr!!!.... just make some free energy and you'll be the richest man on the planet, then you won't need to con the gullible into forking out their hard earned cash to support your ego driven drivel.
__________________
It's only my madness that stops me from going insane!
Stray Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger
 
Orphia Nay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Posts: 36,064
Quote:
Shadowy classified projects would prefer for us not to proceed, just as they wished that we not proceed with DisclosureProject.org in 2001. But we did. And we are here to tell the tale because millions of people knew what we were doing well before that historic event.

You the public are our shield. You are our protectors, along with providence. While the testing will be confidential and done very discreetly until results are known- the fact that we are pursuing this evidence must be known by millions of people in order for us to be protected. Tell everyone you know-now.
If these shadowy classified projects are so big and powerful as UFO nuts claim, why didn't the alien get discovered by them in the first place?

If I was going to hoax an ET body, I'd definitely share it with some daft bleever like Greer.
__________________
Challenge your thoughts.
Don't believe everything you think.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2012, 08:35 PM   #4
RobertoDebunker
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20
Bjorn,

Thanks for posting this. I saw Greer's pitch for funds, and wrote about it in the news items on my Bad UFOs Blog, but I didn't see that part about him seeing the Genuine Real ET.

Did you know that Greer has his very own 'familiar spirit' ET? I heard him lecture at the International UFO Congress in Arizona this past February. I wrote,
Greer showed a photo of Bijou, an ambassador from the Andromeda Galaxy whose acquaintance was made in one of CSETI's desert Skywatches at Joshua Tree, CA. Bijou has now become like a sort of pet alien for Greer, often playing peek-a-boo when it's least expected. It takes a great deal of imagination to see Bijou in the original photo at left, even after they have helpfully cut away his outline (right) - more imagination than I have, I'm afraid. Greer also has equally-fuzzy photos of blips that he says are alien spaceships, many of them only partially materialized in our dimension. Every time they go out, says Greer, they spot UFOs. Every time. This confirms my suspicion that no matter what light they see in the sky, they think it's a UFO. [This thing won't let me post URLs, but this is from my BadUFOs.com posting on March 1, 2012. I also show Greer's photos of Bijou.]
Robert Sheaffer
RobertoDebunker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2012, 09:05 PM   #5
Björn Toulouse
Cavitus Rectum
 
Björn Toulouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,435
I will give you the link here, and let others read of what you are speaking.

Gawd, I thought Streiber was dead - the man's only three years older than I am as it turns out. Still syphoning from the youngblood apparently.

Back to "Bijou". No, I had never heard this but I have not really paid any attention to Greer in the past 10 years. What some people will do for a buck but I still love to see some competent fools and their money parted, hopefully to learn a lesson.
__________________
The most complete and happy victory is this: to compel one's enemy to give up his purpose, while suffering no harm oneself.

Belisarius
Björn Toulouse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2012, 09:23 PM   #6
Robrob
Philosopher
 
Robrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,497
Quote:
We cannot reveal at this time the location of this being or the name of the person or persons who possess it.
Tells you all you need to know.
Robrob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2012, 09:35 PM   #7
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger
 
Orphia Nay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Posts: 36,064
An earlier thread on Greer:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=166554


BTW, love your thread title, Bjorn!
__________________
Challenge your thoughts.
Don't believe everything you think.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2012, 08:56 AM   #8
RobertoDebunker
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20
Strieber is very much alive. In fact, just a few weeks back I attended a MUFON mini-symposium in which Strieber spoke at length about the miraculous "alien implant" he supposedly carries in his left ear. Because I was seated directly behind him, I took the opportunity to examine, and photograph, his left ear. Looks like a perfectly normal ear, no sign of any implant, swelling, surgery scars, etc. that he claims. I have the photos on my Bad UFOs Blog posting of July 25 (and I think I have almost enough postings to be able to post URLs, soon!).

Robert
RobertoDebunker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2012, 08:45 AM   #9
ufology
Master Poster
 
ufology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,681
This reminds me of the Raelian human cloning debacle. When independent scientists offered to verify the truth of the claim, there was some excuse why it would not be permitted and no actual evidence has been forthcoming. I wouldn't be surprised to find that Greer has had similar offers to do DNA testing, but for some reason or another has declined the offers in favor acquiring donations.
__________________
USI Calgary
ufology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2012, 03:58 PM   #10
Burning Beard
Muse
 
Burning Beard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 540
I haven't been to the Disclosure Project site for a while so checked in for a quick looky-see.

I went to "News" then clicked on the "Upcoming events" link.

Ambassador trainings! I clicked the details link and wow...

How to make Contact with ET civilisations using the CSETI CE-5 protocols and how to really become an Ambassador to the Universe! (Note how they spell Contact with a capital C?)

$2500 - for people who have not been to a prior Ambassador training, including materials and lifetime CSETI membership.

$995 - for people who have already attended at least 1 Ambassador training, but no materials will be sent. (note: a maximum of 5 people may attend at the discounted rate)

For the Mt. Shasta training the fee for previous attendees is $1195 due to a facility fee. $1250 – a special fee for full time students under the age of 26.

__________________
Check out my heavy metal version of the Doctor Who theme... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_9g2nXpYl0

And my Surf Guitar version... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WioJ...eRkAD3bh1dU_gF
Burning Beard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2012, 04:19 PM   #11
ufology
Master Poster
 
ufology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,681
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
I haven't been to the Disclosure Project site for a while so checked in for a quick looky-see. I went to "News" then clicked on the "Upcoming events" link. Ambassador trainings! I clicked the details link and wow ... How to make Contact with ET civilisations using the CSETI CE-5 protocols and how to really become an Ambassador to the Universe! (Note how they spell Contact with a capital C?)

$2500 - for people who have not been to a prior Ambassador training, including materials and lifetime CSETI membership.

$995 - for people who have already attended at least 1 Ambassador training, but no materials will be sent. (note: a maximum of 5 people may attend at the discounted rate)

For the Mt. Shasta training the fee for previous attendees is $1195 due to a facility fee. $1250 – a special fee for full time students under the age of 26.


The CSETI CE-5 Protocols seem like a rather convoluted way of trying to communicate with aliens. If anything unusual happens it would probably be pure coincidence. Wouldn't that be something if they were out doing this seemingly ridiculous excercise and some kind of UFO ( alien craft ) just happened to come along? I wonder what they ( the aliens ) would think?
__________________
USI Calgary

Last edited by ufology; 20th August 2012 at 04:20 PM.
ufology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2012, 07:27 PM   #12
I Am He
Critical Thinker
 
I Am He's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 258
Originally Posted by ufology View Post
The CSETI CE-5 Protocols seem like a rather convoluted way of trying to communicate with aliens. If anything unusual happens it would probably be pure coincidence. Wouldn't that be something if they were out doing this seemingly ridiculous excercise and some kind of UFO ( alien craft ) just happened to come along? I wonder what they ( the aliens ) would think?
UFO (alien craft) ? A UFO is an unknown and a craft could mean a lot of things, like a boat or a plane etc. So please stop with this nonsense please.


I Am He
__________________
I see you're playing stupid again, looks like you're winning
I Am He is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 04:48 PM   #13
Newbeak
Scholar
 
Newbeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 124
Okay,we accept Greer is a genuine gold plated fruitcake,but what do you make of the witnesses who held top secret clearances while in the government service who claim first hand experience with alien craft and/or aliens? If it were a dozen,I could accept they were delusional or loony toons,but there were many more than that at Greer's disclosure news conferences.
__________________
Wannabe skeptic
Newbeak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 04:51 PM   #14
Kid Eager
Philosopher
 
Kid Eager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,108
Originally Posted by Newbeak View Post
Okay,we accept Greer is a genuine gold plated fruitcake,but what do you make of the witnesses who held top secret clearances while in the government service who claim first hand experience with alien craft and/or aliens? If it were a dozen,I could accept they were delusional or loony toons,but there were many more than that at Greer's disclosure news conferences.
...and we know this, how?
__________________
What do Narwhals, Magnets and Apollo 13 have in common? Think about it....
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 05:11 PM   #15
Newbeak
Scholar
 
Newbeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 124
Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
...and we know this, how?
Well,can several dozen people who claim to have held top secret security clearances all be lying/deluded? It should be easy to confirm they did serve in the military,and some,such as Charles Halt,are known to have served,if only due to all the publicity surrounding the Rendlesham Forest incident.
__________________
Wannabe skeptic
Newbeak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 05:15 PM   #16
Sherman Bay
Master Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 2,068
Originally Posted by Newbeak View Post
Well,can several dozen people who claim to have held top secret security clearances all be lying/deluded?
Yes. The lure of fame and fortune is a powerful attraction, especially if you need no proof of what you claim and have none anyway. It's fantasy camp!
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 05:28 PM   #17
Newbeak
Scholar
 
Newbeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 124
Talking

Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post
Yes. The lure of fame and fortune is a powerful attraction, especially if you need no proof of what you claim and have none anyway. It's fantasy camp!
I suppose that refutes claims that the government couldn't keep such a huge secret secret for 60 odd years if there were any substance to it-anyone claiming intimate knowledge of top secret UFO projects would be dismissed out of hand,thus preserving the secrecy.
__________________
Wannabe skeptic
Newbeak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 05:42 PM   #18
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 55,208
Originally Posted by Newbeak View Post
I suppose that refutes claims that the government couldn't keep such a huge secret secret for 60 odd years if there were any substance to it-anyone claiming intimate knowledge of top secret UFO projects would be dismissed out of hand,thus preserving the secrecy.
And thus does a lack of evidence magically transform into evidence for a cover-up.
__________________
Read my fantasy novel for free!
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 05:53 PM   #19
ufology
Master Poster
 
ufology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,681
Going On Record

According to author Leslie Kean in her book UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go on the Record There have been ranking military people come forward with testimony. I think some of them may have also appeared at Greer's early disclosure sessions. Should we believe it all? I don't think so. Should we dismiss it all? Without evidence that witnesses are lying or misinformed about everything, it would seem irresponsible to level such accusations. This is the same thing we're left with time and time again. So the question is: How many such cases does it take before we start to take seemingly credible witnesses seriously? 500? 1500? 2500? 10,000? More?

Before making the claim that it doesn't matter how many witnesses there are, it might be wise to first imagine yourself in room with 3000 credible witnesses, real people that you take the time to talk with an open mind. If for just one minute you could picture yourself actually doing that, and still believe it would be reasonable to then stand up in front of them all and call them liars, misinformed or nuts, then all I can do is shake my head.
__________________
USI Calgary

Last edited by ufology; 25th November 2012 at 05:57 PM.
ufology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 06:06 PM   #20
ufology
Master Poster
 
ufology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,681
Originally Posted by Newbeak View Post
I suppose that refutes claims that the government couldn't keep such a huge secret secret for 60 odd years if there were any substance to it-anyone claiming intimate knowledge of top secret UFO projects would be dismissed out of hand,thus preserving the secrecy.

It's not unreasonable to think that when there are leaks that there is also some damage control. What is unreasonable is to believe Sherman Bay's suggestion that "fame and fortune" are in store for those who come forward. Very few people make a living doing ufology. Most have to pay out of their own pockets to do research. A few will become well known to those interested in the subject, but real fame ( like superstar fame ) is some kind of myth. I've never seen it.
__________________
USI Calgary

Last edited by ufology; 25th November 2012 at 06:07 PM.
ufology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 06:06 PM   #21
StankApe
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,628
Quote:
If for just one minute you could picture yourself actually doing that, and still believe it would be reasonable to then stand up in front of them all and call them liars, misinformed or nuts, then all I can do is shake my head
i would do exactly that, because that is exactly what has taken place.

the plural of anecdote is not evidence.


the sheer distances involved make the probability slim, the fact that our radio waves have only been travelling for 150 years makes it slimmer (narrows the available worlds that have life to within a 75 year window (they'd have to hear it then immediately head this way at the speed of light).

Not to mention the energy required.....



I know what you will say though "ALIEN PHYSICS!!!"
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 06:08 PM   #22
mike3
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,465
Originally Posted by Björn Toulouse View Post
The Woo sites have been drooling lately about the First Contact possibilities that the year 2012 has to offer, a lot of those dates for August, and today, the 4th, was supposed to be a big one too.

Stephen Greer's blog has been out there for a week but I just stumbled across this where Greer says they may actually have an ET or EBE stiff:





And here comes the pitch:





I guess he can always say later "we didn't quite get enough money" to perform the proper testing.
It wouldn't take a lot of "testing". They could just SHOW it to a scientist at a big-name U. (Heck, ANY U. would do, I'd think.)

No money required. Just SHOW it -- SHOW you have something REAL -- then if you do need money you'll be able to get it easily as people will have GENUINE reason to support you.

But they don't do this.

Therefore, we can conclude they likely do not have what they say they have.
__________________
“Ego is subversive and devolutionary, truly destructive and terrible; ego is the generator of privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Ego is the fire that burns within the pit of hell, devouring and consuming everything that enters and leaving utterly nothing behind. Ego is horrible, cruel, and restraining, the darkness of the world, and the doom and bane of man.” – my reaction to that famous Bertrand Russell quote.

Last edited by mike3; 25th November 2012 at 06:12 PM.
mike3 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 06:09 PM   #23
mike3
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,465
Originally Posted by ufology View Post
According to author Leslie Kean in her book UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go on the Record There have been ranking military people come forward with testimony. I think some of them may have also appeared at Greer's early disclosure sessions. Should we believe it all? I don't think so. Should we dismiss it all? Without evidence that witnesses are lying or misinformed about everything, it would seem irresponsible to level such accusations. This is the same thing we're left with time and time again. So the question is: How many such cases does it take before we start to take seemingly credible witnesses seriously? 500? 1500? 2500? 10,000? More?

Before making the claim that it doesn't matter how many witnesses there are, it might be wise to first imagine yourself in room with 3000 credible witnesses, real people that you take the time to talk with an open mind. If for just one minute you could picture yourself actually doing that, and still believe it would be reasonable to then stand up in front of them all and call them liars, misinformed or nuts, then all I can do is shake my head.
It doesn't matter if you have a hundred, a thousand, a million, or even a BILLION anecdotes -- it STILL isn't scientific evidence. It has nothing to do with the quantity of information, rather it has to do with the nature of the information.
__________________
“Ego is subversive and devolutionary, truly destructive and terrible; ego is the generator of privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Ego is the fire that burns within the pit of hell, devouring and consuming everything that enters and leaving utterly nothing behind. Ego is horrible, cruel, and restraining, the darkness of the world, and the doom and bane of man.” – my reaction to that famous Bertrand Russell quote.
mike3 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 06:10 PM   #24
StankApe
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,628
oddly enough mike3, this is the EXACT same thing I say to footers all the time. Yet they hand wave it away by saying" the govt won't allow Universities to deal with such things"
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 06:14 PM   #25
Kid Eager
Philosopher
 
Kid Eager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,108
Originally Posted by Newbeak View Post
Well,can several dozen people who claim to have held top secret security clearances all be lying/deluded? It should be easy to confirm they did serve in the military,and some,such as Charles Halt,are known to have served,if only due to all the publicity surrounding the Rendlesham Forest incident.
again, we know this, how? There's a few hurdles here -
  • that the people who claim to have had a high security clearance did so
  • that the holding of the high security clearance is in any way relevant to the claims that they are making
  • that the holding of a high security clearance in any way vests the claimant in an automatically higher level of credibility
  • that the claimant is telling the truth
  • that the claimant's truthful interpretation is actually what happened.
__________________
What do Narwhals, Magnets and Apollo 13 have in common? Think about it....
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 06:15 PM   #26
mike3
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,465
Originally Posted by ufology View Post
It's not unreasonable to think that when there are leaks that there is also some damage control. What is unreasonable is to believe Sherman Bay's suggestion that "fame and fortune" are in store for those who come forward. Very few people make a living doing ufology. Most have to pay out of their own pockets to do research. A few will become well known to those interested in the subject, but real fame ( like superstar fame ) is some kind of myth. I've never seen it.
Only because NOBODY HAS PROVIDED SOLID EVIDENCE YET. If you had a piece of HARD, undeniable EVIDENCE of an alien encounter, then you WOULD be famous, famous like you wouldn't believe! It would be THE greatest scientific discovery of the century, perhaps even the millennium, and at least one of the greatest in the history of humanity!
__________________
“Ego is subversive and devolutionary, truly destructive and terrible; ego is the generator of privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Ego is the fire that burns within the pit of hell, devouring and consuming everything that enters and leaving utterly nothing behind. Ego is horrible, cruel, and restraining, the darkness of the world, and the doom and bane of man.” – my reaction to that famous Bertrand Russell quote.
mike3 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 06:17 PM   #27
mike3
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,465
Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post
Yes. The lure of fame and fortune is a powerful attraction, especially if you need no proof of what you claim and have none anyway. It's fantasy camp!
The lure of fame and fortune is what shows this to be likely bollox. Because if they DID have something FOR REAL, then they would TRULY be able to get fame and fortune from it, and so they'd release it... and they don't, but instead start "begging".
__________________
“Ego is subversive and devolutionary, truly destructive and terrible; ego is the generator of privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Ego is the fire that burns within the pit of hell, devouring and consuming everything that enters and leaving utterly nothing behind. Ego is horrible, cruel, and restraining, the darkness of the world, and the doom and bane of man.” – my reaction to that famous Bertrand Russell quote.
mike3 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 06:33 PM   #28
Sherman Bay
Master Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 2,068
Originally Posted by ufology View Post
According to author Leslie Kean in her book UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go on the Record There have been ranking military people come forward with testimony. I think some of them may have also appeared at Greer's early disclosure sessions. Should we believe it all? I don't think so. Should we dismiss it all? Without evidence that witnesses are lying or misinformed about everything, it would seem irresponsible to level such accusations. This is the same thing we're left with time and time again. So the question is: How many such cases does it take before we start to take seemingly credible witnesses seriously? 500? 1500? 2500? 10,000? More?
No amount of "credible" witnesses will replace solid evidence, especially those who seem to suddenly "recall" incredible events from 60 years ago, unaltered by 60 years of news reports, chat rooms and gossip. Wish my memory was that good.

Quote:
Before making the claim that it doesn't matter how many witnesses there are, it might be wise to first imagine yourself in room with 3000 credible witnesses, real people that you take the time to talk with an open mind. If for just one minute you could picture yourself actually doing that, and still believe it would be reasonable to then stand up in front of them all and call them liars, misinformed or nuts, then all I can do is shake my head.
{Raises hand and stands up.} Me! Me! I will! They're all liars and/or nuts!

Originally Posted by Newbeak View Post
I suppose that refutes claims that the government couldn't keep such a huge secret secret for 60 odd years if there were any substance to it-anyone claiming intimate knowledge of top secret UFO projects would be dismissed out of hand,thus preserving the secrecy.
Yep, that's how it works, fersure. Our coverups are impregnable and impenetrable.

Last edited by Sherman Bay; 25th November 2012 at 06:34 PM.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 09:29 PM   #29
ufology
Master Poster
 
ufology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,681
Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
the plural of anecdote is not evidence.

Documentation from firsthand observation and experience is anecdotal and it qualifies as evidence and has been proven useful many times in the past. For example meteor shower counts, visual confirmation of radar targets, forest fire watch tower reports, security guard alerts ... and the list goes on and on. Anecdotal evidence is also used in medicine, particularly in evaluating clinical trials. Merely proclaiming that such evidence doesn't qualify is not rationally supportable.

Quote:
The sheer distances involved make the probability slim, the fact that our radio waves have only been traveling for 150 years makes it slimmer (narrows the available worlds that have life to within a 75 year window (they'd have to hear it then immediately head this way at the speed of light).

Not to mention the energy required ... I know what you will say though "ALIEN PHYSICS!!!"

There is nothing unscientific about interstellar travel. Lower speeds and extended travel time may not be that big a problem for a species with an unlimited lifespan. It could conceivably be done with technology only modestly superior to our present day. No "Alien Physics" required.
__________________
USI Calgary

Last edited by ufology; 25th November 2012 at 09:32 PM.
ufology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 09:30 PM   #30
fromdownunder
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,633
Originally Posted by ufology View Post
Before making the claim that it doesn't matter how many witnesses there are, it might be wise to first imagine yourself in room with 3000 credible witnesses, real people that you take the time to talk with an open mind. If for just one minute you could picture yourself actually doing that, and still believe it would be reasonable to then stand up in front of them all and call them liars, misinformed or nuts, then all I can do is shake my head.
There have been reportedly tens of thousands of Elvis sightings since his death. So if you were in a room with 3,000 credible witnesses who claim to have seen Elvis since he died, would you accept that he is still alive? How many Elvis claims would you need to be convinced of this?

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 09:41 PM   #31
StankApe
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,628
Originally Posted by ufology View Post
Documentation from firsthand observation and experience is anecdotal and it qualifies as evidence and has been proven useful many times in the past. For example meteor shower counts, visual confirmation of radar targets, forest fire watch tower reports, security guard alerts ... and the list goes on and on. Anecdotal evidence is also used in medicine, particularly in evaluating clinical trials. Merely proclaiming that such evidence doesn't qualify is not rationally supportable.

They don't count when it comes to proving an extraordinary claim. They don't count when proving a new species (even a new kind of mundane critter like a frog, still need a body ) they don't count when proving a new theory about the Universe. (the math's have to be there to back it up)

so no, a bunch of people making claims is NOT evidence. They are all liars, mistaken or crazy. That's the null hypothesis. You must back up their claims with facts, hard,verifiable evidence. You have none.


There is nothing unscientific about interstellar travel. Lower speeds and extended travel time may not be that big a problem for a species with an unlimited lifespan. It could conceivably be done with technology only modestly superior to our present day. No "Alien Physics" required.

What evidence do you have for this long life span alien life form? Or are you just shifting thing around ? Starting with a solution then shoehorning a problem to fit it isn't science at all. It's daydreaming, speculation, malarky.

Plus you haven't addressed the problem of "who knows we are here?" do you know how many star systems are visible from earth? They would have to have heard us, then located us, then flown here.


BTW: long interstellar travel doesn't work unless you are claiming these aliens blindly stumbled into earth. Cuz how else would the know we were here but with our radio wave emissions? So, unless you are saying they live in the next star system on the left, (and left the week after they heard our transmissions) they couldn't have made it here yet with this slow,interstellar travel you speak of.
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 09:51 PM   #32
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Rachel, KS
Posts: 27,594
Originally Posted by ufology View Post
[font=Arial][size=3]Documentation from firsthand observation and experience is anecdotal and it qualifies as evidence and has been proven useful many times in the past. For example meteor shower counts, visual confirmation of radar targets, forest fire watch tower reports, security guard alerts ... and the list goes on and on. Anecdotal evidence is also used in medicine, particularly in evaluating clinical trials. Merely proclaiming that such evidence doesn't qualify is not rationally supportable.[/size][/font]
...in courts of law ( triers of fact ) where hundreds of credible witnesses testified to witchcraft. Were they all lying and/or deluded? These were upstanding members of the community.



Quote:
[font=Arial][size=3]There is nothing unscientific about interstellar travel. Lower speeds and extended travel time may not be that big a problem for a species with an unlimited lifespan. It could conceivably be done with technology only modestly superior to our present day. No "Alien Physics" required.[/size][/font]
There is nothing unscientific about witchcraft, no "Magic" required, just physics we don't yet understand.

So, ufology, do you now believe in witchcraft and witches? It's your same reasoning. If not, why not?

By the way, it's also the same argument you ran like a rabbit from in the moderated thread.

Last edited by RoboTimbo; 25th November 2012 at 10:01 PM.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 09:55 PM   #33
GeeMack
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,235
Originally Posted by ufology View Post
[font=Arial][size=3]Documentation from firsthand observation and experience is anecdotal and it qualifies as evidence and has been proven useful many times in the past. For example meteor shower counts, visual confirmation of radar targets, forest fire watch tower reports, security guard alerts ... and the list goes on and on. Anecdotal evidence is also used in medicine, particularly in evaluating clinical trials. Merely proclaiming that such evidence doesn't qualify is not rationally supportable.[/size][/font]

No, that's not how science works. Merely proclaiming that anecdotes constitute evidence doesn't qualify as a rational argument. It may help for you to take a first level science course at your community college or an adult education program in your area. What has never helped your persistently wrong arguments is just guessing whatever the hell you think makes your belief real. Do note how that strategy has resulted in failure time after time.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 09:56 PM   #34
GeeMack
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,235
Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
What evidence do you have for this long life span alien life form? Or are you just shifting thing around ? Starting with a solution then shoehorning a problem to fit it isn't science at all. It's daydreaming, speculation, malarky.

You understand ufology's position perfectly.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 10:18 PM   #35
ufology
Master Poster
 
ufology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,681
Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
What evidence do you have for this long life span alien life form? Or are you just shifting thing around ? Starting with a solution then shoehorning a problem to fit it isn't science at all. It's daydreaming, speculation, malarky.

Plus you haven't addressed the problem of "who knows we are here?" do you know how many star systems are visible from earth? They would have to have heard us, then located us, then flown here.


BTW: long interstellar travel doesn't work unless you are claiming these aliens blindly stumbled into earth. Cuz how else would the know we were here but with our radio wave emissions? So, unless you are saying they live in the next star system on the left, (and left the week after they heard our transmissions) they couldn't have made it here yet with this slow,interstellar travel you speak of.

Perhaps I should have stated that I'm not making any claim to be doing science here. We're just having a friendly discussion about possibilities. Long life spans are biologically possible. For example Turritopsis nutricula, the immortal jellyfish, is known to be the longest living creature which could live on forever without dying of old age ... more here

Regarding knowing Earth is here. We have detected planets around other stars with our own instruments without having first received intelligent signals. We figured out the "Goldilocks Zone" so assuming that physics are pretty much the same everywhere, a look at the Sun from light years away could reveal Earth is here long before our radio waves or even humans were here. So if they set out to get here 1500 years ago, that makes over 500 G type stars they could have come from at only one third light speed.

And of course, even if we dismiss long lifespans, we can still invoke multi-generation vessels. None of this is scientifically impossible.
__________________
USI Calgary
ufology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 11:10 PM   #36
StankApe
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,628
"only" one third light sped is amazingly fast, I don't even know if you could accelerate to that speed in that time without killing everyone (1500 yrs)
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 12:50 AM   #37
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing
 
pakeha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,331
Originally Posted by ufology View Post
Documentation from firsthand observation and experience is anecdotal and it qualifies as evidence and has been proven useful many times in the past. For example meteor shower counts, visual confirmation of radar targets, forest fire watch tower reports, security guard alerts ... and the list goes on and on. Anecdotal evidence is also used in medicine, particularly in evaluating clinical trials. Merely proclaiming that such evidence doesn't qualify is not rationally supportable. ...
That's a good point, ufology.
Still, your examples include "..meteor shower counts, visual confirmation of radar targets, forest fire watch tower reports, security guard alerts ... and ...in evaluating clinical trials."

These are all events or phenomena we already know exist.
Interstellar visiters, however, fall into rather a different category, as RoboTimbo pointed out:



Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
...in courts of law ( triers of fact ) where hundreds of credible witnesses testified to witchcraft. Were they all lying and/or deluded? These were upstanding members of the community. ...
It may be OT, but I'm currently reading La Historia de la Brujería en España ((The History of Witchcraft in Spain) with lots of records from the trials.
Curiously enough, the Holy Office ruled that in general eyewitness testimony was not to be given any weight in a witchcraft trial; even recommending no torture be applied to the accused to extract a confession. Their reasoning was that the 'witches' were clearly deluded and mentally ill.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 06:00 AM   #38
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 18,452
Originally Posted by Newbeak View Post
Well,can several dozen people who claim to have held top secret security clearances all be lying/deluded? It should be easy to confirm they did serve in the military,and some,such as Charles Halt,are known to have served,if only due to all the publicity surrounding the Rendlesham Forest incident.
I don't think I'd use COL Halt as an example...

http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/rendlesham.htm
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 06:34 AM   #39
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing
 
Bikewer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: St. Louis, Mo.
Posts: 11,923
For the life of me, I can't recall where I saw this little experiment... Perhaps it was one of those older Randi documentaries? At any rate, they put a "plant" into a group of folks who were fond of going out into the desert for UFO-watching sessions.
Everyone had telescopes and cameras and binoculars, and were intently studying the night sky.
The plant told folks he was seeing something, and pointed off in a vague direction. Soon, others joined in, and then almost the whole group, peering intently at the area designated, said that they too could see the UFO.....
What with memory editing and such, I have no doubt that if you asked the people in this group if they had seen a UFO a couple of years later, they would all reply in the affirmative.

Just as the crowd of people interviewed at Mudjugore would all claim they had seen the large crucifix on the hill spin around. (because one poor deluded lady said it was, and everyone else joined in.) Camera on the crucifix the whole time... No spinning.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 06:43 AM   #40
Croydon Bob
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 468
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I don't think I'd use COL Halt as an example...

http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/rendlesham.htm
Thanks, that's a useful link.

My recollection is that more recently Halt has started telling far more exaggerated versions of the story. A common occurence amongst attention seekers.
__________________
Gorgeous George Galloway: "The Holocaust is the greatest crime in human history"
Croydon Bob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:44 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.