ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Paul Harvey

Old 7th January 2006, 08:29 AM   #1
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Paul Harvey reports that magnetic braclets don't relieve pain.

Paul "I never met an urban legend I didn't like" Harvey actually mentioned a British study that showed that magnet braclets don't relieve pain.

Apparently there is hope for even the strongest of believers.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2006, 09:45 AM   #2
walthrup48

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
[...] a British study that showed that magnet braclets don't relieve pain. [...]
BMJ, latest issue: Extract
Summary from BBC

Last edited by walthrup48; 7th January 2006 at 09:48 AM.
walthrup48 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2006, 04:49 PM   #3
Starthinker
Philosopher

I make a game of counting the stories Paul Harvey does that has either been debunked on Snopes or Mythbusters or is just common knowledge that it didn't really happen that way.
Starthinker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2006, 06:22 PM   #4
Hamradioguy
Pyrrhonist

And how many would that be? Or can't you count that high? (Oh well, helps keep Snopes and Mythbusters in business....)
Hamradioguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2006, 07:12 PM   #5
FortyTwo
Student

Paul "I never met an urban legend I didn't like" Harvey actually mentioned a British study that showed that magnet braclets don't relieve pain.
"So now you know...the REST of the story."
FortyTwo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2006, 08:05 PM   #6
Manny
Illuminator

Oddly, I now have a strong suspicion that magnetic bracelets will eventually be shown to work.
Manny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2006, 11:40 PM   #7
JLam
Proud Skepkid Parent

I heard PH say this on his radio show the other day and I damn near drove off the road. I couldn't believe that he actually reported it.

"what's dicksing? my dicksionary have no word for that" - Pillory
JLam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2006, 05:25 AM   #8
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Originally Posted by manny View Post
Oddly, I now have a strong suspicion that magnetic bracelets will eventually be shown to work.
Well, they DO work... at holding ferromagnetic things to your wrists.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2006, 05:28 AM   #9
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Well, they DO work... at holding ferromagnetic things to your wrists.
only very light ferromagnetic things.
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2006, 05:53 AM   #10
mgidm86
Philosopher

You mean, Paul "Is this the beginning of a story or just another advertisement?" Harvey?
Old 8th January 2006, 06:29 AM   #11
Mojo
Mostly harmless

...a British study that showed that magnet braclets don't relieve pain.
Minor nitpick: the journal is British, but authors of the study are American. I only mention it because I've just noticed that one of them, Bruce Flamm, is mentioned in this week's Swift as pursuing the issue of the Journal of Reproductive Medicine "power of prayer" scandal.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal