ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags speechlessness , induced

Old 7th July 2006, 11:22 AM   #1
Bradk3
Thinker

Induced speechlessness?

Dogdoctor's post here: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...33#post1751033 got me thinking about a phenomenon my coworker told me about once.

He claimed that it is possible to temporarily make someone speechless by repeating their words back to them almost immediately. Apparently, the person's brain is unable to cope with hearing their own words like this and is rendered speechless and unable to talk for a few moments.

I find the idea fascinating, but I'm not sure I entirely trust him on this one (he's not a pathalogical liar or anything, just, erm, creative with the facts). I've searched, but haven't been able to find any information on this.

Is there anyone here who knows what I'm talking about and can enlighten me?
Bradk3 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2006, 11:27 AM   #2
TobiasTheViking
Resident Viking Autist

Total woo. The only thing that will happen is that the other party will get confused and lost in his or her tracks, and will have to spend a little time to remember what (s)he was saying.
Old 7th July 2006, 11:31 AM   #3
roger
Penultimate Amazing

Just test it. You'll find it doesn't work.
roger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2006, 11:48 AM   #4
Dymanic
Philosopher

I can report that I have a very difficult time talking when I can hear the echo of my own voice on a delay of about a second or so. This occasionally happens when I'm talking on the phone, for reasons I assume have something to do with the equipment in use on the other end. I can adjust to it, but it takes some effort.
Dymanic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2006, 12:00 PM   #5
Mercutio
Shakespeare's Sock Puppet

If it's the right person, her saying anything to me could render me speechless.

A good experiment must control for such things...
Old 7th July 2006, 02:20 PM   #6
Soapy Sam
NLH

There's speechless and there's unable to speak.

I find the best way to render someone unable to speak is a hard punch to the solar plexus.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2006, 02:51 PM   #7
Chris Haynes
Perfectly Poisonous Person

Originally Posted by Bradk3 View Post
...He claimed that it is possible to temporarily make someone speechless by repeating their words back to them almost immediately. Apparently, the person's brain is unable to cope with hearing their own words like this and is rendered speechless and unable to talk for a few moments.
...?
Actually I believe someone is rendered speechless when they realize they are speaking to someone acting like an 8-year-old brat.

"HCN, I hate you!"
( so sayeth Deetee at http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?p=1077344 )...
What I get for linking to http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/
Chris Haynes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2006, 03:39 PM   #8
RSLancastr

... like an 8-year-old brat.

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2006, 07:31 PM   #9
Dogdoctor
Canis Doctorius

I never made any such claim. Read what I wrote. It makes some people loose track of what they are saying.

Editted to add: Sorry but I missread what you wrote Hydrogen Cyanide pointed it out to me

Last edited by Dogdoctor; 7th July 2006 at 07:48 PM.
Dogdoctor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2006, 07:40 PM   #10
kevin
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dymanic View Post
This occasionally happens when I'm talking on the phone, for reasons I assume have something to do with the equipment in use on the other end. I can adjust to it, but it takes some effort.
interesting article (to me at least) about echo in phone systems. even occurs in digital systems.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8424

and i don't think repeating someone's words back to them is necessary, just say ANYTHING a second or two behind someone and they'll usually stop talking for a second. Keep it up and someone mysteriously gets a bloody nose.
Old 7th July 2006, 07:41 PM   #11
Dogdoctor
Canis Doctorius

A way to check for an effect would be to set up a half second delay recording system so that whatever you say comes back to you delayed a little from when you say it. This could also be observed on live radio. Some people talking on live radio with their radios on have difficulty talking because they hear the sound delayed in time to when they are saying it. Some people have no problem with it.

Dogdoctor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2006, 07:42 PM   #12
Chris Haynes

Originally Posted by Dogdoctor View Post
I never made any such claim. Read what I wrote. It makes some people loose track of what they are saying.
? huh ? ... I believe Brad3k was referring to something his coworker said, not you. Your post just reminded him of it, and I had not even looked at it when I made my comment.

It just has not been that long ago that I did have an 8-year-old who would be a brat and repeat her brothers (and when they were younger, her brothers did the same thing).

"HCN, I hate you!"
Chris Haynes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2006, 08:21 PM   #13
Chris Haynes

Originally Posted by Hydrogen Cyanide View Post
...It just has not been that long ago that I did have an 8-year-old who would be a brat and repeat her brothers (and when they were younger, her brothers did the same thing).
Just noticed this same child (who is now 12) is wearing a shirt that says "I'm happy. Don't ruin it by talking."

"HCN, I hate you!"
Old 8th July 2006, 05:46 AM   #14
Kaarjuus
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Dogdoctor View Post
A way to check for an effect would be to set up a half second delay recording system so that whatever you say comes back to you delayed a little from when you say it. This could also be observed on live radio. Some people talking on live radio with their radios on have difficulty talking because they hear the sound delayed in time to when they are saying it. Some people have no problem with it.
Delayed auditory feedback (DAF) is used in some devices for people who stutter. Experiments have shown that it significantly reduces stuttering (up to 70%).

So, no, it doesn't make people speechless.
Kaarjuus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2006, 05:58 AM   #15
Beady
Philosopher

Just watch reruns of "Whose Line Is It, Anyway?" They frequently do this in their games; no one gets speechless, just frustrated.
I tolerate with utmost latitude the right of others to differ with me in opinion without imputing to them criminality. I know too well all the weaknesses and uncertainty of human reason to wonder at its different results. -- Thomas Jefferson

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2006, 06:03 AM   #16
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

WhaWht atdiddid yoyou ussayay?

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2006, 06:10 AM   #17
Beady
Philosopher

Yeah, like that.
I tolerate with utmost latitude the right of others to differ with me in opinion without imputing to them criminality. I know too well all the weaknesses and uncertainty of human reason to wonder at its different results. -- Thomas Jefferson

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2006, 10:42 AM   #18
Dogdoctor
Canis Doctorius

Originally Posted by Kaarjuus View Post
Delayed auditory feedback (DAF) is used in some devices for people who stutter. Experiments have shown that it significantly reduces stuttering (up to 70%).

So, no, it doesn't make people speechless.
In this case people would be using it over and over again. This says nothing about the initial effect.

Old 8th July 2006, 10:52 AM   #19
Boo
ts

A stroke in the speech center of the brain will render some one speechless. Just saying.

Boo
Boo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology