ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 9th February 2019, 06:02 PM   #4001
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted

Today Elizabeth Warren, sometimes referred to by me as Pocahontas, joined the race for President. Will she run as our first Native American presidential candidate, or has she decided that after 32 years, this is not playing so well anymore? See you on the campaign TRAIL, Liz!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 06:27 PM   #4002
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
I love slyly insulting British news/commentary. They don't call BS, or even suggest they're going to call BS... but it's there regardless.
I didn't see a call-out on the lie about his weight.
Old 9th February 2019, 06:37 PM   #4003
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Oh I can't wait to hear what ridiculous Racistsplaining explanation there is for him making a joke about the Trail of Tears.

Sure hope the Cherokee nation is happy they picked his side.
Are you talking about the reference to the "Campaign TRAIL"?

I don't see that as a reference to the Trail of Tears so much as a Western motif. Maybe he was talking about the Trail of Tears but (1) then he'd have to know about it and (2) I certainly didn't think Trail of Tears when I saw it.

Of course, it could be a dog whistle, but for (1). I think his grasp of history is pretty damned tenuous.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 06:46 PM   #4004
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post

I don't see that as a reference to the Trail of Tears so much as a Western motif. Maybe he was talking about the Trail of Tears but (1) then he'd have to know about it and (2) I certainly didn't think Trail of Tears when I saw it.

Of course, it could be a dog whistle, but for (1). I think his grasp of history is pretty damned tenuous.
Trump is a yuge Andrew Jackson fan.
Old 9th February 2019, 06:46 PM   #4005
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

He did put it in CAPS just in case he was being too subtle.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 07:25 PM   #4006
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
So they can request an absentee ballot, but they have to return it in person?

How is that different from coming in to vote?
Not quite. Absentee ballots can be mailed in, regardless. You seem to be focusing on the wrong thing, though. The big change here looks like it is that if this becomes law, anyone can request an absentee ballot without needing to offer an approved excuse for it, which, given the laws related to absentee voting, means that it's allowing a way to vote early for everyone where there wasn't one before. Not as good as both that and having direct early voting, but much better than having neither.
Old 9th February 2019, 07:31 PM   #4007
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Not quite. Absentee ballots can be mailed in, regardless. You seem to be focusing on the wrong thing, though. The big change here looks like it is that if this becomes law, anyone can request an absentee ballot without needing to offer an approved excuse for it, which, given the laws related to absentee voting, means that it's allowing a way to vote early for everyone where there wasn't one before. Not as good as both that and having direct early voting, but much better than having neither.
Colorado is all mail in or drop off now, and it's great.
Old 9th February 2019, 07:40 PM   #4008
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Yeah he put it in all caps in the same tweet where he is race baiting Warren over his continued misunderstanding of her DNA results because he was definitely only referring to the campaign trail.

I believe that about as much as I believe that his tan is because of good genes.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 07:47 PM   #4009
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Trump frequently mentions his love of Andrew Jackson. He also has a documented history of racism against Native Americans and made a Wounded Knee joke a couple weeks ago about Elizabeth Warren.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 08:04 PM   #4010
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Trump frequently mentions his love of Andrew Jackson.
I can well imagine what Andrew Jackson would think of Trump.
Old 9th February 2019, 08:07 PM   #4011
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

After Trump's TRAIL tweet, Donnie Jr. retweeted a post that had replied to it: "The Native American genocide continues with another murder by the president."
Old 9th February 2019, 08:07 PM   #4012
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Grifters gonna grift.
Fantastic!
Old 9th February 2019, 08:12 PM   #4013
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
BBC reports on physical exams that Trump is in very good health...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47184751
Did they check on the condition of his bone spurs?
Old 9th February 2019, 10:37 PM   #4014
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

And the Trumpers are circling the wagons claiming the Trail of Tears was a good thing and we just won't acknowledge it.

https://twitter.com/ClenchedFisk/sta...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 10:48 PM   #4015
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

And the Trumpers are circling the wagons claiming the Trail of Tears was a good thing and we just won't acknowledge it.

https://twitter.com/ClenchedFisk/sta...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
This is the second time in recent days, Travis, you are sharing some nebulous crap with us from Twitter.

See that Tweet you linked to? Who the hell is the person they are quoting?

After all we know now about Russian bots spreading this crap around, why are you spreading it without a little checking?

Who are they quoting???????
Old 10th February 2019, 12:00 AM   #4016
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
This is the second time in recent days, Travis, you are sharing some nebulous crap with us from Twitter.

See that Tweet you linked to? Who the hell is the person they are quoting?

After all we know now about Russian bots spreading this crap around, why are you spreading it without a little checking?

Who are they quoting???????
Kurt Schlichter is a conservative author that has risen in prominence due to his over the top enthusiasm for Trump. Chapo Trap House has done some hilarious readings of his dystopian fantasies.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 12:40 AM   #4017
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Kurt Schlichter is a conservative author that has risen in prominence due to his over the top enthusiasm for Trump. Chapo Trap House has done some hilarious readings of his dystopian fantasies.
OK, so the Tweet is paraphrasing the quote below the quote?

I'm not sure that means he represents a widely held view about the Trail of Tears.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 10th February 2019 at 12:43 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 01:57 AM   #4018
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Fantastic!
Just imagine. You have just been elected the leader of the most powerful country on earth. What is the first thing you going to do? Rip off your inauguration event, of course.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 02:09 AM   #4019
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Just imagine. You have just been elected the leader of the most powerful country on earth. What is the first thing you going to do? Rip off your inauguration event, of course.
Well, at least he's not a race grifter. Oh, wait...
Old 10th February 2019, 02:31 AM   #4020
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Former televangelist Jim Bakker has come up with a far-out reason for President Donald Trump’s orange skin tone.

Quote:
Trump has been blessed by God, his skin color is merely the holy spirit flowing through him.
https://bizstandardnews.com/2019/02/...g-through-him/
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 03:28 AM   #4021
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Former televangelist Jim Bakker has come up with a far-out reason for President Donald Trump’s orange skin tone.

Okay, that has to be trolling teh libs? Even his base must see that is stupid

I guess that anyone who still follows Jim Bakker after decades of sexual and financial misconduct and prison time (did he publically ask for forgiveness on TV?) is stupid - so he probably knows his audience.

@Captain_Swoop, May I suggest a signature for you: "pearl diving in the cesspit, so you don't have to"
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 03:33 AM   #4022
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Trump tweet: "PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT! It should never be allowed to happen again!"

Jimmy Kimmel monologue: "If ever there was a time for a 'that's what she said' joke..."

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 10th February 2019 at 03:34 AM.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 06:41 AM   #4023
FenerFan
Illuminator

Well, in Bakker's defense, the man does have a lot of experience with oddly toned faces. He was married to Tammy Fay for a long time.
Old 10th February 2019, 07:04 AM   #4024
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets
We have a great economy DESPITE the Obama Administration and all of its job killing Regulations and Roadblocks. If that thinking prevailed in the 2016 Election, the U.S. would be in a Depression right now! We were heading down, and don’t let the Democrats sound bites fool you!
Not just as a Democrat but as an American, I really resent this kind of totally bogus propaganda. That it comes from the president of the United States is mindblowing. How can this be? How did we ever get here? Is there no one out there, no agency or institution, who can make president Trump cease with the barrage of lies? Up is down. Holy 1984, Batman!

The chart below is from Forbes business magazine, not exactly a left wing publication, but at least one with some standards and integrity -unlike the garbage who currently occupies 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Link

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Job Growth 2005-2018.jpg (101.2 KB, 21 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 07:17 AM   #4025
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah he put it in all caps in the same tweet where he is race baiting Warren over his continued misunderstanding of her DNA results because he was definitely only referring to the campaign trail.

I believe that about as much as I believe that his tan is because of good genes.
You don't seem to follow my interpretation. I agree that the reference was clearly intended to refer to her Native American claim. I don't see that it was necessarily a reference to the Trail of Tears.

I could be wrong, but his racism shows in so many explicit ways that I don't see a need to conclude that this was an implicit reference to the Trail of Tears. Bit subtle for him. One who explicitly calls Mexican immigrants racist is likely to be a little more direct than that.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 07:20 AM   #4026
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Not just as a Democrat but as an American, I really resent this kind of totally bogus propaganda. That it comes from the president of the United States is mindblowing.

Not if you know who is President.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 07:41 AM   #4027
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Trump tweet: "PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT! It should never be allowed to happen again!"

Jimmy Kimmel monologue: "If ever there was a time for a 'that's what she said' joke..."
You can tell he's in anguish when he uses all caps. Thank you German people for giving me the word schadenfreude to express my pleasure at Trump's suffering.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 08:25 AM   #4028
Garrison
Illuminator

Not just as a Democrat but as an American, I really resent this kind of totally bogus propaganda. That it comes from the president of the United States is mindblowing. How can this be? How did we ever get here? Is there no one out there, no agency or institution, who can make president Trump cease with the barrage of lies? Up is down. Holy 1984, Batman!

The chart below is from Forbes business magazine, not exactly a left wing publication, but at least one with some standards and integrity -unlike the garbage who currently occupies 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
I agree with you, this is what should be focused on, not snide remarks about his political opponents. This is the President of the United States lying about an unequivocal matter of facts and yet it goes pretty much unchallenged.
Old 10th February 2019, 08:54 AM   #4029
Bob001
Philosopher

Numerous observers have noted that many of the constraints on the President are the result of custom and tradition, not written law. The Founders never really imagined a president as openly dishonest and corrupt as a Trump, nor a cowardly Congress that would roll over for him.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 09:06 AM   #4030
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
OK, so the Tweet is paraphrasing the quote below the quote?

I'm not sure that means he represents a widely held view about the Trail of Tears.
I think one thing the Trump era has taught us is that this isn't as minority a view as we'd like it to be within the Republican party. Also that Native Americans are fair game for use of racial slurs. Imagine the reaction if Elizabeth Warren had claimed Jewish heritage and it turned out she was wrong so they started making Holocaust jokes.
Old 10th February 2019, 09:49 AM   #4031
Tero
Graduate Poster

AOC explains in video, see Youtube, to Congress, that the president is not bound by the ethical standards that congress people are.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 10:05 AM   #4032
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I think one thing the Trump era has taught us is that this isn't as minority a view as we'd like it to be within the Republican party. Also that Native Americans are fair game for use of racial slurs. Imagine the reaction if Elizabeth Warren had claimed Jewish heritage and it turned out she was wrong so they started making Holocaust jokes.
Minor couple of fixes:

Imagine the reaction if Elizabeth Warren had claimed Jewish heritage and it turned out she was right so they started making Holocaust jokes, whilst claiming she had lied.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 10:43 AM   #4033
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Gallup Poll: “Open Borders will potentially attract 42 million Latin Americans.” This would be a disaster for the U.S. We need the Wall now!

African Americans are very angry at the double standard on full display in Virginia!

I don’t think the Dems on the Border Committee are being allowed by their leaders to make a deal. They are offering very little money for the desperately needed Border Wall & now, out of the blue, want a cap on convicted violent felons to be held in detention!

It was a very bad week for the Democrats, with the GREAT economic numbers, The Virginia disaster and the State of the Union address. Now, with the terrible offers being made by them to the Border Committee, I actually believe they want a Shutdown. They want a new subject!
Old 10th February 2019, 11:02 AM   #4034
Belz...
Fiend God

Trump Tweets

African Americans are very angry at the double standard on full display in Virginia!
Truly, Trump has the pulse of minorities.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 11:13 AM   #4035
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Gallup Poll: “Open Borders will potentially attract 42 million Latin Americans.” This would be a disaster for the U.S. We need the Wall now!
In case you're wondering what he's mangling.

Quote:
Gallup asked the whole population of Latin America. There are 33 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean. Roughly 450 million adults live in the region. Gallup asked them, "Would you like to move to another country permanently if you could?"

A whopping 27% said "yes."

So this means roughly 120 million would like to migrate somewhere.

The next question Gallup asked was, "Where would you like to move?"
Of those who want to leave their Latin American country permanently, 35% said they want to go to the United States.

The Gallup analytics estimate is that 42 million want to come to the U.S.
Old 10th February 2019, 11:22 AM   #4036
carrps
Thinker

Gosh, sometimes I think I'd like to move to Paris. But will it ever happen? Not damned likely.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 11:43 AM   #4037
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

It's dragging like treacle at the moment.
That may just be your perception due to the agony of the stupid-burn you're inflicting on yourself by posting Trump's tweets. (Way to take one for the team BTW)

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 11:45 AM   #4038
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
That may just be your perception due to the agony of the stupid-burn you're inflicting on yourself by posting Trump's tweets. (Way to take one for the team BTW)
Better put than my post

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

@Captain_Swoop, May I suggest a signature for you: "pearl diving in the cesspit, so you don't have to"
Old 10th February 2019, 11:48 AM   #4039
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Seconded. I appreciate being able to keep up with his crap without massaging his ego by adding to his follower numbers.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 11:50 AM   #4040
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Warren (paraphrased): He won't see me on the TRAIL if he's in JAIL.

Warren: Trump ‘May Not Even Be A Free Person’ By 2020
Originally Posted by TPM
Early in her speech at a campaign stop in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, according to several reporters present, Warren speculated that Trump may not finish his term.

“Here’s what bothers me, by the time we get to 2020, Donald Trump may not even be president,” Warren reportedly said. “In fact, he may not even be a free person. But here’s how I see it – Donald Trump is not the only problem we’ve got.”

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics