ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 5th January 2019, 09:24 AM   #401
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
How many suns on his planet, do you think?
Only one, and wait till you hear where he thinks it shines from.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 09:40 AM   #402
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I don’t care that most of the workers not getting paid are Democrats, I want to stop the Shutdown as soon as we are in agreement on Strong Border Security! I am in the White House ready to go, where are the Dems?

We are working hard at the Border, but we need a WALL! In 2018, 1.7 million pounds of narcotics seized, 17,000 adults arrested with criminal records, and 6000 gang members, including MS-13, apprehended. A big Human Trafficking problem.

The Democrats want Billions of Dollars for Foreign Aid, but they don’t want to spend a small fraction of that number on properly securing our Border. Figure that one out!

Great Tweet today by Tyler Q. Houlton
@SpoxDHS on the #FakeNews being put out by
@CNN, a proud member of the Opposition Party.
@TSA is doing a great job!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 10:05 AM   #403
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
We are working hard at the Border, but we need a WALL! In 2018, 1.7 million pounds of narcotics seized, 17,000 adults arrested with criminal records, and 6000 gang members, including MS-13, apprehended. A big Human Trafficking problem.
"A border wall is necessary. As evidence, allow me to offer up examples of how effective the current, wall-less security measures are."
Old 5th January 2019, 10:10 AM   #404
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
His expression at that moment was positively chilling.
Where can I see this? There are so many videos of the Golden Turd and I don't want to watch more of him than I absolutely have to.

Mexican and U.S. law enforcement agencies discovered a highly sophisticated underground tunnel—featuring a rail system and solar-powered lighting—running underneath the border between Mexico and California.

https://www.newsweek.com/mexico-us-b...-train-1162022

If only there was a wall!
Then they'd just tunnel all the way up into Canada and flood in over the northern border!
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 10:32 AM   #405
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
"A border wall is necessary. As evidence, allow me to offer up examples of how effective the current, wall-less security measures are."
And it raises an obvious question. How do those numbers compare with previous years?
Old 5th January 2019, 11:11 AM   #406
Minoosh
Philosopher

What would be hilarious is if somehow the House decided to deal with Trump on his wall, only to find it defeated in the Senate.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 11:17 AM   #407
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I can't help, but compare the support of Donald Trump to nearly all religious claims. I have yet to see a single religious claim hold up to rigorous logical and scientific examination. NOT one. They are ALL (that I know of) destroyed by critical thought.

And yet a particular group of people simply refuse to apply critical thought to either one. They make excuses.

Trump is a non-stop liar pulling lie after lie after lie from his ass and yet still people buy it or dismiss the lies as irrelevant. These people are not necessarily stupid. Some are, I'm sure. But I think many or maybe even most simply refuse to embrace reality. Their worldviews depend on keeping up the fantasies.

It's a shared neurotic fabrication. The man is ******* nuts.
Old 5th January 2019, 11:26 AM   #408
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
What would be hilarious is if somehow the House decided to deal with Trump on his wall, only to find it defeated in the Senate.
Wasn't that December 23rd?
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 11:30 AM   #409
autumn1971
Master Poster

This is a full justification for violent revolution against Fascism.

<snip>
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard

Last edited by Loss Leader; 7th January 2019 at 10:13 PM.
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 11:33 AM   #410
portlandatheist
Illuminator

2 Republican Senators break ranks:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...and/ar-BBRNC5v
Quote:
Senators Susan Collins (R., Maine) and Cory Gardner (R., Colo.) broke with fellow Republicans Thursday evening by calling on President Trump to sign a spending bill and end the ongoing government shutdown without securing funding for a border wall.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 11:36 AM   #411
portlandatheist
Illuminator

This is pure madness. Part of me thinks he should actually attempt this because in doing so, he would only be digging his own grave.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 12:00 PM   #412
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Where can I see this? There are so many videos of the Golden Turd and I don't want to watch more of him than I absolutely have to.
Yeah, thanks for making me review it...
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Short ad at beginning, skip to about 27:18 for the question/answer.
Old 5th January 2019, 12:05 PM   #413
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Wasn't that December 23rd?
I'm thinking of getting 60 solid "no" votes, as opposed to failing to reach 60 solid "yes" votes. House Republicans probably knew that they were passing something that would fail in the Senate.

I'm hoping against hope that we reach a bipartisan 60 votes in the Senate. Obviously, that requires more GOP senators to "defect," and I'm not holding my breath, but there have been some shows of bipartisanship in Congress and no one knows for sure how toxic Trump will become by 2020.

OK, so I may be wrong, but the real issue on the Wall as far as I can tell from quick Googling is what to do about the Rio Grande. There is no freakin' way to fence that off without either ceding the river to Mexico or trapping a bunch of USA between the river and an American border wall. The western half of the U.S.-Mexico border was drawn with a ruler and for most of it a fence is feasible and there are some barriers in place. Look at the twisting, turning Rio Grande and try to figure out how to do that. (As far as I can tell)* border landowners in Texas, many of whom are conservative, do not want a wall. It is a much dicier proposition from an engineering standpoint than anything in California, Arizona or New Mexico.

Last edited by Minoosh; 5th January 2019 at 12:07 PM. Reason: * softened this a bit
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 12:23 PM   #414
Minoosh
Philosopher

The 60-senator threshold could be achieved with Democratic defections as well, of course. I'm not sure I would mind. It would depend on if they were basing their decision on something other than culture wars. If $5 billion in fencing is a good idea, the WH should be able to sell it with something other than rabid fearmongering. Dems ought to bring up the fact that the government hasn't spent money previously allotted for a border barrier.

Pass funds for a study. AFAIK the Patriot Act allows DHS to proceed without all the usual studies done for large construction projects - environmental, cultural and maybe even things like hydrology studies. It's the combination of $5 billion and no accountability that I find unnerving.

ETA: But of course the fence vote would be defeated in the House. It's a conundrum.

Last edited by Minoosh; 5th January 2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 5th January 2019, 12:28 PM   #415
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
This is a full justification for violent revolution against Fascism.
<snip>

I do not condone this courses of action. If he had a severe health emergency, however, part of me would be very relieved.

Edited by Loss Leader:  Quote edited to conform.

Last edited by Loss Leader; 7th January 2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 5th January 2019, 12:55 PM   #416
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump will find a way to pretend to have won once it becomes clear that he can't strong-arm Pelosi.
And that's all the Democrats need to do, let Trump lie while the intelligent legislation passes.
Old 5th January 2019, 01:09 PM   #417
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Another Trump administration official lies to Congress?

Quote:
Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) made the accusation in a scathing letter to Nielsen following a private presentation to Congress in which she tried to promote President Donald Trump’s border wall by falsely claiming thousands of terrorists were apprehended at the southern border last year.

“Your border security presentation submitted to Congress today is yet another example of the misinformation and outright lies the Trump Administration has used to make the case for the President’s boondoggle border wall,” Thompson wrote, also referencing the ongoing partial government shutdown and the recent deaths of two children at the border.
House Homeland Security Committee head Bennie Thompson has requested Nielsen appear on January 18th along with any documents, contracts, records, memoranda, correspondence, or other communications” related to the border wall, the “metering” of asylum-seekers at ports of entry

Apparently in Nielsen's private briefing to Congress she said 17,000 criminals and 3,000 terrorists were apprehended crossing the Southern border. Members of Congress were stunned by these figures.
Old 5th January 2019, 01:45 PM   #418
Paul2
Philosopher

I do not condone this courses of action. If he had a severe health emergency, however, part of me would be very relieved.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure. - Clarence Darrow

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 01:51 PM   #419
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Dialog reported from the shutdown meeting. Background: Pelosi is Catholic.
Trump: The Vatican has walls. The Vatican has walls surrounding the city. You like the Vatican, Nancy?

Pelosi: Let's change the subject, sir.
Old 5th January 2019, 01:51 PM   #420
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

I want him to live long enough to be fitted for an orange jumpsuit. It'll reduce the chance of President Ivanka.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 02:52 PM   #421
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“Former @NYTimes editor Jill Abramson rips paper's ‘unmistakably anti-Trump’ bias.”

Ms. Abramson is 100% correct. Horrible and totally dishonest reporting on almost everything they write. Hence the term Fake News, Enemy of the People, and Opposition Party!

Drug makers and companies are not living up to their commitments on pricing. Not being fair to the consumer, or to our Country!

V.P. Mike Pence and team just left the White House. Briefed me on their meeting with the Schumer/Pelosi representatives. Not much headway made today. Second meeting set for tomorrow. After so many decades, must finally and permanently fix the problems on the Southern Border!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 02:57 PM   #422
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Dialog reported from the shutdown meeting. Background: Pelosi is Catholic.
Trump: The Vatican has walls. The Vatican has walls surrounding the city. You like the Vatican, Nancy?

Pelosi: Let's change the subject, sir.
Pelosi: Prisons have walls. Prisons have walls surrounding the prison. Do you like prisons, Donnie?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 02:58 PM   #423
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Jill Abramson Tweets to trump

Verified account @JillAbramson
Anyone who reads my book, Merchants of Truth, will find I revere @nytimes and praise its tough coverage of you
Old 5th January 2019, 02:59 PM   #424
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Meanwhile trump says that any in opposition to him are the 'Enemy of the People'
Old 5th January 2019, 03:10 PM   #425
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Standing further back from all this, it really does seem to confirm that Trump is losing his marbles bigly. If he was someone's grandpa raging at the TV like that, such continuous disconnects from reality would be probably be reasons to consider putting the old coot in a care facility.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 03:13 PM   #426
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Jill Abramson Tweets to trump

Verified account @JillAbramson
Anyone who reads my book, Merchants of Truth, will find I revere @nytimes and praise its tough coverage of you
Him? Read?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 03:25 PM   #427
Armitage72
Master Poster

Someone should ask Trump to confirm whether his beautiful wall (steel fence) would use steel purchased from Evraz North America, like the Keystone Pipeline did. You know, the steel company owned by a Russian oligarch who's an ally of Putin and a personal friend of Trump.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 03:27 PM   #428
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

US Steel's stock price is down 47% since Trumps inauguration day and over 50% on the last year.

I guess that's why they haven't announced the 7 new plants that Trump claimed they were opening.
Old 5th January 2019, 03:31 PM   #429
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Mexican and U.S. law enforcement agencies discovered a highly sophisticated underground tunnel—featuring a rail system and solar-powered lighting—running underneath the border between Mexico and California.

https://www.newsweek.com/mexico-us-b...-train-1162022

If only there was a wall!

From the article:
Quote:
A September CBP update on progress with President Donald Trump's proposed border wall found several prototypes were "breached" during recent tests and tunneling was not addressed in its border security analysis.

Obviously, tunnels are not an important consideration in Trump's concept of border security,

After all, who in all of history ever heard of someone going under a wall.
Old 5th January 2019, 04:27 PM   #430
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Again, you mean?
Old 5th January 2019, 04:29 PM   #431
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Standing further back from all this, it really does seem to confirm that Trump is losing his marbles bigly. If he was someone's grandpa raging at the TV like that, such continuous disconnects from reality would be probably be reasons to consider putting the old coot in a care facility.
I have to wonder if he's living that nightmare where the important exam is coming up and he forgot to study for it.
Old 5th January 2019, 04:50 PM   #432
Stacyhs
Philosopher

US Steel's stock price is down 47% since Trumps inauguration day and over 50% on the last year.

I guess that's why they haven't announced the 7 new plants that Trump claimed they were opening.
The really sad part is that I'd bet his base supporters still think those 7 new plants are a done deal.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 04:55 PM   #433
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Donald Trump is the reason the right to vote should carry an IQ test (or equivalent) requirement. Universal Suffrage is wrong. The vote is a powerful right and should not be wielded by those who are obviously incapable of using it correctly.

Using it correctly does not mean voting the way I think people should vote. It means disenfranchising the morons who think the damage people like Trump do is all good as long as it allows them to laugh at the other side.

Sadly, it isn't necessary to be a moron to be petty and selfish
Old 5th January 2019, 04:57 PM   #434
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
They are calling him what he is.He is POTUS. He was democratically elected. Incredulous as the rest of the world may be about that, we must acknowledge it and take him seriously.

We have to take the consequences of his actions seriously because he is POTUS.

That doesn't mean we have to take him seriously.
Old 5th January 2019, 04:59 PM   #435
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

The dissonance of the office and the creature currently occupying it has never been more jarring.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 05:21 PM   #436
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Again, you mean?
As I understand the latest round, after Trump refused to sign the bill the Senate rushed out something Wall-inclusive. Does anyone know the wording which referred to the Wall specifically, as distinct from border security generally?

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 05:27 PM   #437
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Obviously, tunnels are not an important consideration in Trump's concept of border security,
I guess Bibi never brought it up in conversation.

Old 5th January 2019, 05:47 PM   #438
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Meanwhile, The Turtle is copping out like the coward he is. Won't pass anything in the Senate that the President won't sign.

First, like Turtle REALLY knows in advance what Donny will and won't sign! This shutdown is the result of the Congress AND Senate passing a continuation bill without "wall money". Turtle's Senate passed it. "His" Senate, like he owns it. And lo and behold, Donny didn't sign. And a few convolutions later, here you are in a national crisis brought on by failing utterly to appreciate your president is not even tangentially impinging on reality now. Fail on your mind-reading, Turtle.

Second, Turtle can actually solve this impasse easily. He says he won't let the Senate pass anything the president won't sign. So he can either change his mind and override the veto...or change his president.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 5th January 2019 at 05:49 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 05:58 PM   #439
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
2 Republican Senators break ranks:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...and/ar-BBRNC5v
Those two Senators are up for re-election (they hope) in 2020 and are from states where HRC beat Dump.

Coinky-dink? I think not.

Last edited by SezMe; 5th January 2019 at 06:11 PM.
SezMe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 06:00 PM   #440
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Meanwhile, The Turtle is copping out like the coward he is. Won't pass anything in the Senate that the President won't sign.

First, like Turtle REALLY knows in advance what Donny will and won't sign! This shutdown is the result of the Congress AND Senate passing a continuation bill without "wall money". Turtle's Senate passed it. "His" Senate, like he owns it. And lo and behold, Donny didn't sign. And a few convolutions later, here you are in a national crisis brought on by failing utterly to appreciate your president is not even tangentially impinging on reality now. Fail on your mind-reading, Turtle.

Second, Turtle can actually solve this impasse easily. He says he won't let the Senate pass anything the president won't sign. So he can either change his mind and override the veto...or change his president.
Not a crisis.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics