ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 1st January 2019, 04:18 PM   #81
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Who said a wall would be 100% effective?

Here we see that...

Except that...

80 people killed in 28 years. Not bad. Probably more than that die trying to cross our deserts every few years. Lives saved! Right?

So we now see, thanks to your research, that walls are actually very effective! Sounds like a winner! Oh some people broke through the Great Wall - hey that can happen. Shrug. Who did that, a few people looking to immigrate, or maybe it was someone else?

Ask Hillary, Obama and the rest of the gang what kind of barriers they wanted when they were in favor of them before Trump was elected President. I believe it was a combination of walls, mostly fences. You know, barriers. They even voted for it once (700 miles of fencing I believe).

Now that Trump is President barriers are suddenly ineffective. They are liars.

So now we see that the Berlin Wall was actually effective and that Hillary and Obama want barriers too, just not Trumps barrier.

So what do the great minds of ISF think is the best way to keep out illegals? Or do you actually want to? I don't think the Republicans or the Democrats truly want to.
OMG! I think you need to build a bomb shelter.
Old 1st January 2019, 04:22 PM   #82
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Here we see that... (And so on)
Are you even serious?
Old 1st January 2019, 04:29 PM   #83
Steve
Illuminator

Here we see that...

Except that...

80 people killed in 28 years. Not bad. Probably more than that die trying to cross our deserts every few years. Lives saved! Right?

So we now see, thanks to your research, that walls are actually very effective! Sounds like a winner! Oh some people broke through the Great Wall - hey that can happen. Shrug. Who did that, a few people looking to immigrate, or maybe it was someone else?

Ask Hillary, Obama and the rest of the gang what kind of barriers they wanted when they were in favor of them before Trump was elected President. I believe it was a combination of walls, mostly fences. You know, barriers. They even voted for it once (700 miles of fencing I believe).

So now we see that the Berlin Wall was actually effective and that Hillary and Obama want barriers too, just not Trumps barrier.

So what do the great minds of ISF think is the best way to keep out illegals? Or do you actually want to? I don't think the Republicans or the Democrats truly want to.
Based on this post and the quotes it contains it seems that you are suggesting to build physical barriers and shoot everyone who gets past them. If you are going to position enough armed guards to accomplish that you really don't need walls and fences. Just shoot em all!
Old 1st January 2019, 04:47 PM   #84
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Do you think it’s just luck that gas prices are so low, and falling? Low gas prices are like another Tax Cut!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 05:39 PM   #85
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Or properly enforce the system designed to stop US employers using illegal immigrant labour. Of course that can't happen because half of US agriculture would probably collapse.
It's just beyond words they don't do this. I worked for a company that was forced by a court order to begin using the e-verification process for new hires and it cut the hiring of people in the U.S. illegally by close to 100%. To throw away the kind of money Trump is talking about for "The Wall" is criminal. In other news:
Quote:
Anibal Romero, a Newark attorney who represents several undocumented immigrants who used to work at the Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, said [Dec. 28th] he recently met with investigators from the state attorney general’s office and handed over fraudulent green cards and Social Security numbers that management at the club allegedly procured and gave his clients, Victorina Morales and Sandra Diaz. New York Daily News link
The funny thing is, the New York Daily News broke this story and it is a very blue-collar conservative newspaper. But it's a New York newspaper and, like almost all New Yorkers, we know exactly who Donnie is and have known for a long long time. To paraphrase columnist Liz Smith, "To know Trump is to detest Trump." His businesses have a long history of employing illegal immigrants, a history going back forty years when Trump was still small enough that he was directly involved in the hiring.

So hard not to throw up when you listen to this piece of garbage pontificate on TV.
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 06:04 PM   #86
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

For FAR TOO LONG Senate Democrats have been Obstructing more than 350 Nominations. These great Americans left their jobs to serve our Country, but can’t because Dems are blocking them, some for two years-historic record. Passed committees, but Schumer putting them on hold. Bad!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 06:36 PM   #87
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Are you even serious?
That kind of disconnect can happen when someone watches too much Tox News.
Old 1st January 2019, 06:41 PM   #88
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Tell that to the Chinese and their Great Wall.

(USA Today)

The Berlin Wall, designed to keep people in, not out, was also not 100% effective and it had armed guards in towers with orders to 'shoot to kill' and a 'no man's land' replete with night lighting and barbed wire.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...wall/72026830/

If we ever needed proof that Trump does not live in reality, but in his own alternate world of made up "fact", this is it.

Here we see that...

Quote:
The Berlin Wall was pretty effective, with its ample guards and shoot-to-kill orders keeping the emigration success rate at just 5 percent, Przybyla notes, but in order to match that, the U.S. would need about 60,000 border guards (with shoot-to-kill orders).

Except that...

Quote:
During the history of the Berlin Wall (1961 to 1989), nearly 80 people were killed trying to cross from East to West Berlin. East German officials always claimed that the wall was erected to protect the communist regime from the pernicious influences of Western capitalism and culture. In the nearly 30 years that the wall existed, however, no one was ever shot trying to enter East Berlin.

You've gone full Trumpian in a big way.

1. Who said the wall would be 100% effective: Trump.

2. What does the fact that no one was trying to go from the West into East Berlin have to do with anything? Look, squirrel!

3. Did you miss the fact that the Berlin Wall had 30,000 armed guards in towers with orders to 'shoot to kill' and a 'no man's land' replete with night lighting and barbed wire? Do you propose a 2,000mile wall it going to have the estimated needed 60,000 armed guards, lighted no-man's land and barbed wire?

4. Try doing some research on why the Great Wall of China didn't work. They weren't a 'few people looking to emigrate'. They were the very people the Chinese were trying to keep out: military invaders.

5. Certain areas definitely benefited from barriers which is why those areas were funded and fences were built. Dems have always acknowledged this unlike your and Trump's claim. Trump wants a 2,000 mile long concrete wall (well, depending on what day of the week it is, it could be a solid wall or a slatted fence or whatever his brain fixates at the mo). It is not feasible.

Your cherry picking of facts is truly Trumpian. You have learned well, Grasshopper.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 06:44 PM   #89
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Do you think it’s just luck that gas prices are so low, and falling? Low gas prices are like another Tax Cut!
Another example of Trump taking credit for anything good whether it's due to him or not. But does he even mention, much less take responsibility for, the worst year on Wall Street since the financial crisis of 2008? Hell no,
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 06:47 PM   #90
Jerrymander
Critical Thinker

By the way, illegal immigration has steeply declined over the past eight years so the wall isn't needed. Yet no one points this out and we act like we have an immigration crisis.

Last edited by Jerrymander; 1st January 2019 at 06:51 PM.
Jerrymander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 06:53 PM   #91
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Jerrymander View Post
By the way, illegal immigration has steeply declined over the years so the wall. Yet no one points this out and act like we have an immigrant crisis.
Yeah, there's no actual immigrant crisis. It's a populist, fearmongering stunt. Most if not all of Trump's big deals are populist stunts.
Old 1st January 2019, 07:00 PM   #92
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

For FAR TOO LONG Senate Democrats have been Obstructing more than 350 Nominations. These great Americans left their jobs to serve our Country, but can’t because Dems are blocking them, some for two years-historic record. Passed committees, but Schumer putting them on hold. Bad!
He's talking about ambassadors, yeah? Which the president nominates and the Senate approves. The GOP have the Senate, previously and now, and so should be expected to rubber-stamp his nominees over any Dem objections.

So the reasons these nominations are blocked are either that they don't exist i.e. he has failed to nominate anyone or he is imagining stuff, or even a GOP-dominated Senate can't stomach his choices of people for these roles.

I'm betting the former - Fox & Friends told him his "350 nominees" are being blocked but it is a complete fabrication on their part which he has bought into 100%.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 07:03 PM   #93
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
He's talking about ambassadors, yeah? Which the president nominates and the Senate approves. The GOP have the Senate, previously and now, and so should be expected to rubber-stamp his nominees over any Dem objections.

So the reasons these nominations are blocked are either that they don't exist i.e. he has failed to nominate anyone or he is imagining stuff, or even a GOP-dominated Senate can't stomach his choices of people for these roles.

I'm betting the former - Fox & Friends told him his "350 nominees" are being blocked but it is a complete fabrication on their part which he has bought into 100%.
I think I know the problem: He reads "Fox and Friends" as "Facts and Friends".
Old 1st January 2019, 08:08 PM   #94
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

It takes 60 votes in the Senate to cut off debate, which the R's don't have. And of course, the very same Republicans stopping approval of Obama nominations was just for the good of the nation.
Old 1st January 2019, 08:26 PM   #95
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It takes 60 votes in the Senate to cut off debate, which the R's don't have. And of course, the very same Republicans stopping approval of Obama nominations was just for the good of the nation.
The Supreme Court, yes. Not the case for ambassadors, who are executive appointments.
Quote:
On November 21, 2013, the Democratic Party, led by then-Majority Leader Harry Reid, overrode the filibuster of a nomination with a simple majority vote to change the rules.[7] As a result, for instance, judicial nominees to federal courts and a president's executive-branch nominations can be freed up for a confirmation vote by a simple majority vote of the Senate. However, he left the filibuster in place for Supreme Court nominees.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advice...sent#Use_today
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 08:28 PM   #96
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Washington Post and Partnership for Public Trust have a Nominee Tracker

The main points are right up top, 126 open positions have no nominee at all, and 9 more announced, but not formally nominated. Then there's 195 who I guess got lost looking for the washroom somewhere in the bowels of the Senate wing of the capitol.

Ambassadors specifically, I counted positions after applying some filters to the data (handy site :9).

14 open Ambassador positions have no nominee.

51 are somewhere in the confirmation process.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 08:35 PM   #97
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Washington Post and Partnership for Public Trust have a Nominee Tracker

The main points are right up top, 126 open positions have no nominee at all, and 9 more announced, but not formally nominated. Then there's 195 who I guess got lost looking for the washroom somewhere in the bowels of the Senate wing of the capitol.

Ambassadors specifically, I counted positions after applying some filters to the data (handy site :9).

14 open Ambassador positions have no nominee.

51 are somewhere in the confirmation process.
That's handy! Thanks!

PS. Australia has had no US ambassador for 2 years now. But hey. We're just a major ally.

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 1st January 2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 1st January 2019, 08:47 PM   #98
Tero
Graduate Poster

Time to get Mexico paying for the wall. He promised! Pelosi and Schumer are not talking to him. Oh they may show up. Walk out.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 09:02 PM   #99
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Time to get Mexico paying for the wall. He promised! Pelosi and Schumer are not talking to him. Oh they may show up. Walk out.
And that is driving him crazy, as his tweeting shows.
Old 1st January 2019, 09:14 PM   #100
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

That's handy! Thanks!

PS. Australia has had no US ambassador for 2 years now. But hey. We're just a major ally.
Well, you've got one going through the process. Expect there to be a lot of foot traffic between the US Embassy and Pauline Hansen's Koffee Klatch of Degenerate Reactionaries. He was a bag man (read political/campaign operative) for some of the great conservative boondoggles of the past three decades. He was Bork's wingman and advisor. To hear it told, he's the guy who vetted and pushed for Sarah Palin! I also read somewhere that he brought out the same trick in 2016 and headed the group that chose Pence.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 09:24 PM   #101
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

I think they're doing a great job of playing him, just by existing and literally laughing at his nonsense when the opportunities invariably arise. They should waste some bandwidth, though, and taunt him.

"@orangeguy Sorry can't make 2 PM. Having a late lunch that day and dessert will be THREE scoops of ice cream. Sure you'll understand."

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 10:07 PM   #102
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

2. What does the fact that no one was trying to go from the West into East Berlin have to do with anyth3. Did you miss the fact that the Berlin Wall had 30,000 armed guards in towers with orders to 'shoot to kill' and a 'no man's land' replete with night lighting and barbed wire? Do you propose a 2,000mile wall it going to have the estimated needed 60,000 armed guards, lighted no-man's land and barbed wire?

Most of the border between east and west was this:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_German_border

West Berlin itself being surrounded by East Germany. We already have an analog of the Berlin wall, built up areas on the Mexican border have a wall.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 1st January 2019 at 10:08 PM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 10:17 PM   #103
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I think they're doing a great job of playing him, just by existing and literally laughing at his nonsense when the opportunities invariably arise. They should waste some bandwidth, though, and taunt him.

"@orangeguy Sorry can't make 2 PM. Having a late lunch that day and dessert will be THREE scoops of ice cream. Sure you'll understand."
LOL, but I think they actually are. By simply stating they are going to bring back normality and do government business as close to normal as possible DESPITE Trump and not even talking to him, that is trolling him.

Really, they are pushing the GOP in the Senate. Mitch has "hit the pause button" and "won't allow through anything Trump won't sign". Which means anything at all basically. So the Dems will proceed to pass various bills to resume orderly government, Trump will continue his childish hissy fit and refuse to sign anything at all, and Mitch will either have to squash those bills or see sense and let some through and try to convince the toddle in the WH sign. So those looking bad or worse will be the GOP, Mitch, and Small Hands Donny. And it will look worse for them the longer they force this nonsense to go on. Sooner or later, something will give, and I suspect it will be Trump. I suspect Mitch has already gotten on the blower and told him to quit being a total dick and making everyone look bad.

And all the Dems have to do is try to look sensible and run things properly.

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 1st January 2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old 1st January 2019, 10:20 PM   #104
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The prediction is 20 GOP Senators defect and Trump is impeached.
Reading the article instead of just the bit quoted... Maybe. If the Mueller report is VERY embarrassing, Trump abandons S Korea, AND we're in a bad recession by 2020. But I wouldn't count on it.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 10:22 PM   #105
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

IMO, pure speculation based on looking at this guy for two years: He's reaching the stage in his con schemes where he normally begs out, declares bankruptcy, bribes a prosecutor or state AG. You can keep a con going so long before your facade starts to leak.

Now he's stuck at the same time the facade is crumbling.
Old 1st January 2019, 10:24 PM   #106
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Reading the article instead of just the bit quoted... Maybe. If the Mueller report is VERY embarrassing, Trump abandons S Korea, AND we're in a bad recession by 2020. But I wouldn't count on it.
I'm not counting on anything. 2018 is past, we are stuck with what we got until 2020 or maybe if we're lucky, a Mueller hail Mary.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 1st January 2019 at 10:26 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 10:45 PM   #107
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
According to the President...

Happy New Years / Groundhog Day, take your pick.
100% foolproof just means Trump can't figure out a way to get over it.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 10:48 PM   #108
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
And a rack for buggy-whips.
The rack would probably be in the back seat with Dump.

Last edited by SezMe; 1st January 2019 at 11:12 PM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 11:05 PM   #109
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
It's just beyond words they don't do this.
It is dumb not to take such action but I can cite a few words that might explain it: Big Ag and the associated food processing industry has gobs of money to lobby away an effective "do not hire" campaign.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 11:35 PM   #110
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

"Mitt Romney Attacks Trump’s Character in Washington Post Op-Ed"

Jeff Flake is now called Mitt Romney.
Old 1st January 2019, 11:38 PM   #111
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Mitt says he will
Quote:
“speak out against significant statements or actions that are divisive, racist, sexist, anti-immigrant, dishonest or destructive to democratic institutions.”
That would be pretty much 100% of what Trump stands for.
Old 1st January 2019, 11:41 PM   #112
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Most of the border between east and west was this:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_German_border

West Berlin itself being surrounded by East Germany. We already have an analog of the Berlin wall, built up areas on the Mexican border have a wall.
Oh,yes...I forgot the motion activated shrapnel spewing minefields. Thanks.

But, hey, some people like to compare the efficacy of the Berlin Wall to Trump's concrete wall. You know, the one without minefields, barbed wire, lighted no-man's lands and guard towers with 30,000 guards with shoot-to-kill orders.
Old 1st January 2019, 11:44 PM   #113
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
100% foolproof just means Trump can't figure out a way to get over it.
I guess they didn't have tunnels back in the good old wall and wheel days.
Old 1st January 2019, 11:49 PM   #114
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Well, you've got one going through the process. Expect there to be a lot of foot traffic between the US Embassy and Pauline Hansen's Koffee Klatch of Degenerate Reactionaries. He was a bag man (read political/campaign operative) for some of the great conservative boondoggles of the past three decades. He was Bork's wingman and advisor. To hear it told, he's the guy who vetted and pushed for Sarah Palin! I also read somewhere that he brought out the same trick in 2016 and headed the group that chose Pence.
This guy has been "going through the process" for over a year now. TBH, if it takes another two years, that would be fine! So don't rush, don't rush!

The funny thing would be if he was refused an Australian visa because of "bad character" (the polite term for gun-totin' thugs and ****-stirrers). We've done that to a number of objectionable Yank grifters and neo-Nazies recently, and also some UK holocaust-deniers, and some ME war-mongering extremists. So if he didn't arrive after all, then who would Pauline have to talk to from the US embassy? She dotes on Donny, thinks he's the bee's knees, the wasps nipples, etc. She will be devastated! Nasty piece of crap, really.

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 1st January 2019 at 11:51 PM.
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:12 AM   #115
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

3. Did you miss the fact that the Berlin Wall had 30,000 armed guards in towers with orders to 'shoot to kill' and a 'no man's land' replete with night lighting and barbed wire? Do you propose a 2,000mile wall it going to have the estimated needed 60,000 armed guards, lighted no-man's land and barbed wire?
You might be a bit light on numbers. Lets put some numbers on that.

Some of the territory to be covered by the 2000 miles of proposed wall white elephant is extremely rugged. To be as effective as the Berlin Wall, its going to require a guard tower on average every half mile (closer in some places). In order to cover the 180° from side to side, you will need four guards watching from each tower at any one time, each covering a 45° field of view. You will therefore need eight guards in each shift (one hour on and one hour off) and three shifts to covers any given 24 hour period, so

4000 towers
8 + 8 + 8 guards for each tower
so 4000 x 24 = 96,000 guards.

Then they would need to add an extra 30% staff for weekends ,holidays and leave.. that is 124,800 armed guards. Even at a modest $40,000 p.a., the wage bill is almost $5bn every year

Then they would need to supply weapons, ammunition, electrical power, searchlights and floodlights, accommodation, food, medical facilities and other amenities along a 2000 mile line stretching from west to east.

Then the territory is so rugged in some places that you will have to fly guards and much of the materiel in using helicopters because road access is impossible, and that means helipads at all the guard towers with poor or no road access.

If they want to run patrols along the wall, they will need refuelling stations for the vehicles.

They will be lucky if the budget for Trump's White Elephant comes in at under $50bn, with $10bn annual costs on top of that.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

Last edited by smartcooky; 2nd January 2019 at 12:13 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:42 AM   #116
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

I'm not sure what to make of George Conway's very anti-Trump stance on Twitter.

But this one is quite funny:

tweet.jpg
Old 2nd January 2019, 01:00 AM   #117
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
I'm not sure what to make of George Conway's very anti-Trump stance on Twitter.

But this one is quite funny:

Attachment 39402
The internecine warfare within the GOP is going to ratchet up, considerably, IMHO. Potential protest candidates like Flake, Romney and Kasich are going to go after Trump and Trump's minions. Wildcards like Conway will take more of a theater of guerrilla operations approach.

Let the games begin. Trump may have to go for a thumb transplant. He can't let personal slights pass, so he'll be going after all of 'em.

Old 2nd January 2019, 01:20 AM   #118
Stacyhs
Philosopher

The internecine warfare within the GOP is going to ratchet up, considerably, IMHO. Potential protest candidates like Flake, Romney and Kasich are going to go after Trump and Trump's minions. Wildcards like Conway will take more of a theater of guerrilla operations approach.

Let the games begin. Trump may have to go for a thumb transplant. He can't let personal slights pass, so he'll be going after all of 'em.
Old 2nd January 2019, 02:21 AM   #119
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You might be a bit light on numbers. Lets put some numbers on that.

Some of the territory to be covered by the 2000 miles of proposed wall white elephant is extremely rugged. To be as effective as the Berlin Wall, its going to require a guard tower on average every half mile (closer in some places). In order to cover the 180° from side to side, you will need four guards watching from each tower at any one time, each covering a 45° field of view. You will therefore need eight guards in each shift (one hour on and one hour off) and three shifts to covers any given 24 hour period, so

4000 towers
8 + 8 + 8 guards for each tower
so 4000 x 24 = 96,000 guards.

Then they would need to add an extra 30% staff for weekends ,holidays and leave.. that is 124,800 armed guards. Even at a modest $40,000 p.a., the wage bill is almost $5bn every year

Then they would need to supply weapons, ammunition, electrical power, searchlights and floodlights, accommodation, food, medical facilities and other amenities along a 2000 mile line stretching from west to east.

Then the territory is so rugged in some places that you will have to fly guards and much of the materiel in using helicopters because road access is impossible, and that means helipads at all the guard towers with poor or no road access.

If they want to run patrols along the wall, they will need refuelling stations for the vehicles.

They will be lucky if the budget for Trump's White Elephant comes in at under $50bn, with $10bn annual costs on top of that.
Yes, yes, that's all fine and dandy. But all that Trump is really interested in is getting Trump Industries to be the winning contractor to build the damn thing. He wants yet another cut of the government pie for free.
Old 2nd January 2019, 04:51 AM   #120
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Yes, yes, that's all fine and dandy. But all that Trump is really interested in is getting Trump Industries to be the winning contractor to build the damn thing. He wants yet another cut of the government pie for free.
Think of the number of RTTAHA* individuals Trump's gotten to sink money in construction, steel, concrete, etc. I doubt he'd be so clueless as to actually have an arm of Trump Inc offering anything or even in on the bidding. But the swindlers he hangs with (not the least the hedge fund in-laws) could take a beating.

*Richer Than Trump And Heavily Armed

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics