ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 17th January 2019, 04:48 AM   #2001
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
IIRC, the Royal family had to subsist on exactly the same food including rations as were available to the British public in wartime. They also stayed "at home" in London and Windsor during the Blitz.
At least formally. Of course Churchill wasn't so restricted.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 05:02 AM   #2002
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
These aren't elementary school kids. They are likely all over 18 and many in their twenties. Young people I know in that age group are more into celebrity chefs than fast food. They only eat fast food because they are too poor to eat at Momofuku every day.
That's a rather embarrassing mistake by me by assuming something, most stuff I was reading seemed to be saying they were "kids" and for me I usually take that to mean pre-teens.
Old 17th January 2019, 05:06 AM   #2003
erwinl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Deep-fried butter, for when you really have a grudge against your circulatory system.

Oh my.
And I thought Deep fried Mars Bar was bad for ones innards (tasty though it was).
But this?

You guys are just like the French. You eat anything!
Old 17th January 2019, 05:13 AM   #2004
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Was even the king allowed only rations?
The well off didn't really struggle under rationing. They could go to restaurants or the black market to get around rationing.
Old 17th January 2019, 05:15 AM   #2005
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Speaking of cheese. The US is sitting on a massive surplus of cheese. 1.4 billion pounds of it.
I didn't know his weight had ballooned so much!
Old 17th January 2019, 06:30 AM   #2006
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The well off didn't really struggle under rationing. They could go to restaurants or the black market to get around rationing.
Add in game from the Royal preserves and such and there would be plenty of allowed ways to supplement rations.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 06:56 AM   #2007
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I keep wondering: If Trump is living on McBurgers (or berders) at the WH, how are they being provided? Does the Secret Service have to drive to Micky D's and get them for him?...
I've been wondering about that too. Wondering how long it would take before the workers at the McDonald's figured out, "These are for president Trump." Would the Secret Service test the burgers for the presence of human saliva before passing them on to Donnie?
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 07:04 AM   #2008
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Meanwhile, this.
Senate Fails to Block Administration From Easing Russia Sanctions

Becoming clearer by the day that many in the GOP and Trump have fully embraced Putin's leadership of white supremacy and antigay "purity." I doubt they've all been bought; this is the logical consequence of following a mix of libertarian extremism ("my pristine freedoms") with white male supremacism ("your nonwhite non-male duties and obligations"). I wonder when they will start openly campaigning as the female-friendly "Barefoot and Pregnant" party.
Old 17th January 2019, 07:09 AM   #2009
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Fair enough. I'll post about Trump in the I Like Cake thread. When in Rome etc.
Old 17th January 2019, 07:16 AM   #2010
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I've been wondering about that too. Wondering how long it would take before the workers at the McDonald's figured out, "These are for president Trump." Would the Secret Service test the burgers for the presence of human saliva before passing them on to Donnie?
At this point, after workibg without pay for about a month, the secret server agents would probably test for saliva and if there was none, add their own.

Sent from my LG-K121 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 07:21 AM   #2011
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

During the election, the Projector-in-Chief constantly told us about rigged polls. One guess who was actually rigging polls...

Michael Cohen offered Liberty University CIO $50,000 to rig two online poll
Old 17th January 2019, 07:33 AM   #2012
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Chris Christie on the "best people" surrounding Trump:

Originally Posted by Christie
deeply flawed individuals — amateurs, grifters, weaklings, convicted and unconvicted felons — who were hustled into jobs they were never suited for, sometimes seemingly without so much as a background check via Google or Wikipedia
Apparently Trump himself avoids Chritie's grifter label. Still holding out for that plum position I suppose.
Old 17th January 2019, 07:35 AM   #2013
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Alice-in-wonderland. Trump's pick for head of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Andrew Wheeler, has presided over a rollback of environmental regulations. That was undoubtedly a prerequisite for his having been chosen, his willingness to do that. Yesterday at his Senate confirmation hearing, Wheeler revealed this nugget:
Quote:
[Wheeler] said he had not familiarized himself with major scientific reports, including one conducted by 13 United States agencies, that warned rising global emissions are an urgent crisis. Link
Donnie picks a guy who doesn't read climate change science to head the EPA. Maybe Wheeler is like Donnie and thinks he knows more than the scientists do. Example from yesterday's hearing:
Quote:
  • “The scientific community has said the threat of climate change is one of the great crises facing our planet,” Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont said. “Do you agree?”
  • “I would not call it the greatest crisis, no sir."
Wheeler said he would call it "a huge issue."
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 07:44 AM   #2014
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Chris Christie on the "best people" surrounding Trump:
One wonders how come Christie's not there, then.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 07:45 AM   #2015
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
During the election, the Projector-in-Chief constantly told us about rigged polls. One guess who was actually rigging polls...

Michael Cohen offered Liberty University CIO $50,000 to rig two online poll
By now, I think it's fair to assume that everything that Trump accuses other people of being and/or doing, he is doing himself, or someone is doing it on his behalf.

It's like pure projection.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 07:55 AM   #2016
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Agree. ^

On a purely personal emotional/self-awareness level, Trump is very primitive.
Old 17th January 2019, 07:58 AM   #2017
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I agree. I honestly don't think he's capable of conceptualizing on even the most basic of levels that other human beings don't think the same way he does.

And I'm not talking a general "I don't get how they are thinking" which we all have at least some degree of, I mean literally not being able to hold in his brain the idea that other people have different thought processes from him. He has no choice but to try to fit everyone else's actions (and if you watch he does this with his 'allies' such as he has them almost as much as he does it with his enemies) into his own mental pathways.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 08:04 AM   #2018
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Wheeler said he would call it "a huge issue."
According to that article he was asked whether he agreed with the statement that it was one of the "great crises facing our planet" and not whether it was "the greatest crisis".

Did no one press him on this? Did he explain what the "greatest crisis facing the planet" is according to him (he brought it up) and why didn't he call it a crisis?
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 08:37 AM   #2019
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I agree. I honestly don't think he's capable of conceptualizing on even the most basic of levels that other human beings don't think the same way he does.

And I'm not talking a general "I don't get how they are thinking" which we all have at least some degree of, I mean literally not being able to hold in his brain the idea that other people have different thought processes from him. He has no choice but to try to fit everyone else's actions (and if you watch he does this with his 'allies' such as he has them almost as much as he does it with his enemies) into his own mental pathways.
... which fits into his relationship with Putin, in which he has the same role as someone like Miller has in his administration.
Old 17th January 2019, 08:40 AM   #2020
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

From 2009-2018 Andrew Wheeler was a Washington lobbyist representing, among others, the coal industry. A coal industry lobbyist selected to head the EPA?

Drain the swamp!
Old 17th January 2019, 09:04 AM   #2021
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
By now, I think it's fair to assume that everything that Trump accuses other people of being and/or doing, he is doing himself, or someone is doing it on his behalf.

It's like pure projection.
Also I think it's a case of "that's what I would do" and because he has no empathy nor capability to understand other people he simply can't comprehend that other people wouldn't do what he would do.

ETA : triple ninjaed

Last edited by Darat; 17th January 2019 at 09:06 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 09:22 AM   #2022
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Also I think it's a case of "that's what I would do" and because he has no empathy nor capability to understand other people he simply can't comprehend that other people wouldn't do what he would do.

ETA : triple ninjaed
Which comes right back to the Pussy grabbing story.

It was a story about how Trump can get access to females*.

I bet that at some level, Trump feels that as he's the most important person in his universe, he's also the most important person in everyone else's universe. Stories about how he can (in his mind use) his position for sexual gratification will mean that other men will envy and respect him.

*I was going to say "abuse his position to get away with sexual assault" but then thought he probably doesn't have the concept of consent anyway.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 09:23 AM   #2023
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Meanwhile, this.
Senate Fails to Block Administration From Easing Russia Sanctions

Becoming clearer by the day that many in the GOP and Trump have fully embraced Putin's leadership of white supremacy and antigay "purity."
Something else of note: Mitt Romney also voted not to block sanctions, basically voting in favor of Trump's actions.

rom: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/16/sena...ons-fails.html
Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, who had warned as a presidential candidate in the 2012 election that Russia is the United States’ top geopolitical foe, voted against Schumer’s resolution.... Romney’s vote follows a New Year’s Day op-ed in which the former Massachusetts governor, who has been rumored to be mulling a 2020 primary challenge against Trump, signaled he was carving out an independent position from the president.

Not exactly a good start for a republican whom many people thought was the 'anti-Trump'.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 09:31 AM   #2024
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Which comes right back to the Pussy grabbing story.

It was a story about how Trump can get access to females*.

I bet that at some level, Trump feels that as he's the most important person in his universe, he's also the most important person in everyone else's universe. Stories about how he can (in his mind use) his position for sexual gratification will mean that other men will envy and respect him.

*I was going to say "abuse his position to get away with sexual assault" but then thought he probably doesn't have the concept of consent anyway.
//Slight hijack//

David Wong made a fair argument for why this is the reason the "Golden Rule" is fundamentally broken as a moral and ethical concept:

Quote:
"Treat others how you want to be treated" works great if you happen to have the exact same values. But guess what? The guy who's always screaming at you the moment he doesn't get his way? He's doing it because that is in fact how he wants to be treated. That's how he thinks human interaction works.

This is also the mantra of every puritanical scold. "Well if I was dressed like a whore, I'd want someone to tell me!"
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 09:50 AM   #2025
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

That is why the Silver rule is a far better guideline.
Old 17th January 2019, 09:50 AM   #2026
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Something else of note: Mitt Romney also voted not to block sanctions, basically voting in favor of Trump's actions.

rom: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/16/sena...ons-fails.html
Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, who had warned as a presidential candidate in the 2012 election that Russia is the United States’ top geopolitical foe, voted against Schumer’s resolution.... Romney’s vote follows a New Year’s Day op-ed in which the former Massachusetts governor, who has been rumored to be mulling a 2020 primary challenge against Trump, signaled he was carving out an independent position from the president.

Not exactly a good start for a republican whom many people thought was the 'anti-Trump'.
Just to be clear, Romney voted against sanctions on Russia. Your first paragraph is unclear.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 09:50 AM   #2027
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

//Slight hijack//

David Wong made a fair argument for why this is the reason the "Golden Rule" is fundamentally broken as a moral and ethical concept:
I think that in this case the golden rule applies to showers.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 09:55 AM   #2028
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
That is why the Silver rule is a far better guideline.
And that essentially what David Wong argues later in that article, that it's not that Golden Rule is wrong just that it is... incomplete.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is actually pretty workable when it is tempered with at least an attempt at understanding that not everybody has the same wants, desires, needs, priorities, boundaries, etc, etc, and so forth and so on.
Old 17th January 2019, 10:12 AM   #2029
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Quote:
Just to be clear, Romney voted against sanctions on Russia. Your first paragraph is unclear.
OOps. you're right... in hindsight it is quite unclear. (Got caught up in the double negatives... a no vote on whether not to have sanctions.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 17th January 2019, 10:34 AM   #2030
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Collusion isn't Collusion
- R. Giuliani
"And I'm not me. You can quote whoever said that."
Old 17th January 2019, 10:44 AM   #2031
carrps
Thinker

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
As well as French fries on the equivalent of Wonder Bread™. Chip Butty, anyone?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_butty

And it's not even toasted!
Dang. The carbs in that thing.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 10:45 AM   #2032
Planigale
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
He would have received his rations but he has extensive country estates that would have provided plenty of 'off ration' food.
My grandad had a huge garden, they had as much fruit end veg as they could grow plus chickens and rabbits. They were all 'off ration'
My other grandad had a garden and also had chickens but they kept pigs as well. Pigs were considered as part of your ration. They had to be registered and you lost some of your meat ration if you had a pig.
The future Queen had to save up her clothing rations to 'pay' for her wedding dress. People tried to donate their own clothing rations, but this was illegal, so they were returned unused. She evaded rationing on the wedding cake as the ingredients were donated by Australian girl guides etc. Overseas food parcels were legal.

Rationing was actually more restrictive after the war than during it!
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 10:55 AM   #2033
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

That's a rather embarrassing mistake by me by assuming something, most stuff I was reading seemed to be saying they were "kids" and for me I usually take that to mean pre-teens.
That's what happens when Trump gets to frame the conversation. We end up arguing about things that aren't relevant.

By the way, this meal would have been less insulting to the Little League World Series champions since they are aged 10-12, but the most recent winners weren't American, they were from Kenya (aka Hawaii).

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 10:56 AM   #2034
carrps
Thinker

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
The future Queen had to save up her clothing rations to 'pay' for her wedding dress. People tried to donate their own clothing rations, but this was illegal, so they were returned unused. She evaded rationing on the wedding cake as the ingredients were donated by Australian girl guides etc. Overseas food parcels were legal.

Reminds of the movie "A Private Function." We still use "No pig. No pig" as a catchphrase.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 11:02 AM   #2035
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
[aside] At that time, hotdogs were a rare treat in the UK [/aside]
When I lived over there, the only place to buy a decent hot dog was Costco.

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
This is particularly embarrassing. No one - no one - who has looked into the smoke and mirrors about Deripaska moving his shares around can honestly believe that him owning 45% of a company means that he doesn't control it. Owning 2 or 4% of a company would give you a seat on the board, FFS. And he's moving the shares to people and entities that he controls, like that English Lord Schmuck guy.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 11:17 AM   #2036
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Left has become totally unhinged. They no longer care what is Right for our Countrty!

So funny to watch Schumer groveling. He called for the firing of bad cop James Comey many times - UNTIL I FIRED HIM!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 17th January 2019 at 11:19 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 11:19 AM   #2037
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post

...because food was shipped to the Continent, especially Germany, to avoid complete starvation there.
Old 17th January 2019, 11:20 AM   #2038
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweets

Lori Hendry
@Lrihendry
Replying to
@realDonaldTrump

They are eaten alive by hate for our President & his voters!
They care more about illegal immigrants than they do for American citizens!
Look no further than CA re-directing money away from US citizens to illegal immigrants.
Thank you for putting America 1st Mr. President
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 11:27 AM   #2039
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The Left has become totally unhinged. They no longer care what is Right for our Countrty!
Next he'll call people on the left orange.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 11:37 AM   #2040
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

And that essentially what David Wong argues later in that article, that it's not that Golden Rule is wrong just that it is... incomplete.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is actually pretty workable when it is tempered with at least an attempt at understanding that not everybody has the same wants, desires, needs, priorities, boundaries, etc, etc, and so forth and so on.
"Do unto others as you would have them do to you... said the rapist." - Bo Burnham
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics