IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Georgia elections , Georgia politics , Marjorie Taylor Greene , QAnon , republicans

Reply
Old 12th August 2020, 09:23 PM   #1
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 19,716
Qanon Candidate Wins Georgia GOP promary

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/12/90162...ding-to-congre

What a sad indictment of Georgia Republicans that they have chosen a certified CT nutcase (and unashamed racist) as their Congressional candidate for the election.

The Stupid, it burns - especially, it seems, in Georgia!
__________________
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 09:39 PM   #2
Venom
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 5,342
Very sad.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 10:26 PM   #3
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,865
We're already talking about this in another thread.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 10:56 PM   #4
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 31,925
It's all good, Republicans in the forum keep telling me that these extremists are just the fringe of their party and nothing to worry about.....
__________________
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 11:09 PM   #5
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 32,791
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
It's all good, Republicans in the forum keep telling me that these extremists are just the fringe of their party and nothing to worry about.....
For me it's the next step after the fundamentalists, Tea Party and Trumpists. Then it will be the white supremacists.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 11:15 PM   #6
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 31,925
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
For me it's the next step after the fundamentalists, Tea Party and Trumpists. Then it will be the white supremacists.
They are white supremacists.
__________________
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 12:53 AM   #7
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 32,791
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
They are white supremacists.
True, but at the moment the GOP is largely relying on dog whistles (or possibly dog foghorns as Belz... recently put it) to communicate. The next step would be for the GOP to openly court white supremacists rather than sneaking them in through the back door like a mistress they are ashamed of (and presumably who they'll pay off with $130k).
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2020, 07:33 PM   #8
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 23,870
Qanon Candidate Wins Georgia GOP promary

Holy crap, she was (is?) a 9/11 Truther as well. And of the “no plane hit the Pentagon” variety. For those unaware, the pentagon no-plane flavor of truth is about 7/10 on the nuttiness scale even among 9/11 Truthers.

From thehill.com:
Quote:
Marjorie Taylor Greene, who became the Republican nominee in a deep-red Georgia congressional district after a Tuesday primary, expressed support for conspiracy theories about the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks during an interview unearthed by Media Matters for America on Thursday.

In the interview uploaded by the American Priority Conference in 2018, Greene referenced "the so-called plane that crashed into the Pentagon."

"It's odd there's never any evidence shown for a plane in the Pentagon," she said.

https://thehill.com/policy/technolog...spiracy-theory
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2020, 08:37 PM   #9
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,583
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Holy crap, she was (is?) a 9/11 Truther as well. And of the “no plane hit the Pentagon” variety. For those unaware, the pentagon no-plane flavor of truth is about 7/10 on the nuttiness scale even among 9/11 Truthers.

From thehill.com:



https://thehill.com/policy/technolog...spiracy-theory
Trump referred to a no-planer as a rising republican star?

Check.
__________________
“One of the last things they do before they’re intubated is beg me for the vaccine. I hold their hand and tell them that I’m sorry, but it’s too late.”

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 03:55 PM   #10
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 23,870
I missed this from a year ago - she went to Washington to video herself demanding that Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib retake their oath of office on a bible, instead of a Koran. Because Green thought that the Republican congress had just passed a law requiring a bible only since they were elected? This woman is confuzzled.

SPLC link

media matters link

Quote:
In February 2019, she visited Capitol Hill -- her likely future place of employment -- and filmed herself unsuccessfully trying to interrogate Reps. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) and Rashida Tlaib (D-MI).

Originally Posted by MARJORIE TAYLOR GREENE
I truly feel like as a woman in America, I really need to go talk to these ladies. Yeah, because they support -- you know what? They support Sharia. And these are -- these are women that really would like to see Sharia in America, and as an American woman, as a business owner, as a mother -- I have two daughters -- I never want to see Sharia in America. And so I really want to go talk to these ladies and ask them what they are thinking and why they're serving in our American government. They really should go back to the Middle East if they support Sharia. So let's go talk to them. I definitely want to go talk to them.
...

Greene also stated that she wanted to get them to retake their congressional oaths of office because their swearing-ins were supposedly illegitimate. She said that she wanted to “let them know what our law says that you can't swear in on the Quran. So we're going to explain to that. You know, we're going to explain about how you can't swear in on the Quran and we're going to have the Bible and ask them if they would swear in on the Bible." She added: “When they swore in, it wasn't a law yet, right? ... I think at the time they swore in that wasn't passed, because it wouldn't have been passed in a Republican-controlled -- yeah, so it was passed after they swore in, so they're not really official, I don't think. So, let's go ask them to swear in the Bible.”
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 04:40 PM   #11
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 14,766
The Left has its own conspiracy theories (Russian collusion, Trump's using the post office to undermine the election). For every Iraq War, there's a Benghazi.
__________________
Cain: Don't be a homo.
Diablo: What's that supposed to mean?
Cain: It's a heteronormative remark meant to be taken at face-value.
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 05:01 PM   #12
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 11,074
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Trump referred to a no-planer as a rising republican star?

Check.
And when she is taken out of the house in a butterfly net and put in the van for an upstate holiday...he won't know her (never heard of her).
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 06:25 PM   #13
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,865
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I missed this from a year ago - she went to Washington to video herself demanding that Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib retake their oath of office on a bible, instead of a Koran. Because Green thought that the Republican congress had just passed a law requiring a bible only since they were elected? This woman is confuzzled.

SPLC link

media matters link
Apparently this idiot doesn't understand that what she's demanding is unconstitutional. You know, that document she's going to swear on her oh, so precious Bible to defend.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 06:34 PM   #14
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 19,716
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I missed this from a year ago - she went to Washington to video herself demanding that Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib retake their oath of office on a bible, instead of a Koran. Because Green thought that the Republican congress had just passed a law requiring a bible only since they were elected? This woman is confuzzled.

SPLC link

media matters link
Wow.

This woman is a total loony - a complete, certifiable nutcase of the "I never met a conspiracy theory I didn't believe in" variety!

I wonder what our resident Trumpkins think about her?
__________________
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 06:56 PM   #15
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I live in a swamp
Posts: 24,451
So...let's not panic. It's a gerrymandered **** kicker district with few Americans and a lot of Trumptrash. She will serve as a valuable tool for the Dems. She is their AOC. Dems can now tie all the stupid ass Trumptrash in the House to this psycho. She will be a valuable fund raiser for the Democratic party. "We need your help to keep control of the House because of this psycho bitch from hell". Let's not all panic because a district full of stupid swamp people did something, well, stupid.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 07:12 PM   #16
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,865
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
So...let's not panic. It's a gerrymandered **** kicker district with few Americans and a lot of Trumptrash. She will serve as a valuable tool for the Dems. She is their AOC. Dems can now tie all the stupid ass Trumptrash in the House to this psycho. She will be a valuable fund raiser for the Democratic party. "We need your help to keep control of the House because of this psycho bitch from hell". Let's not all panic because a district full of stupid swamp people did something, well, stupid.
Who's panicking? But I suspect she's representative of more than just a handful of idiots gerrymandered into a swamp section of Georgia.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 03:19 AM   #17
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 96,875
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Who's panicking?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 03:35 AM   #18
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 32,791
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Who's panicking? But I suspect she's representative of more than just a handful of idiots gerrymandered into a swamp section of Georgia.
One representative is no reason to panic but there may be other QAnon adherents who get elected.

If there are enough to establish a "Conspiracy Caucus" then, like the Tea Party and Fundamentalists before them, they can start to wield power and influence policy. The first two are now setting GOP policy, there's no reason to assume that in 5, 10 or 15 years time QAnon supporters won't be doing the same.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 04:45 AM   #19
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 12,257
If Trump loses, we're going to have a very strange scenario where Q people are in Congress, but the central figure of the Q narrative (Trump) will be out of power.

To be honest, a Democratic administration, and possible majority, would be the perfect environment for these people, because then they'll have a good excuse why the Q conspiracy isn't delivering. The conspiracy always struck me as strange because it's a conspiracy generated by a community that wields real political power, and yet they retreat to a fantasy land.

Any ideas of what a post-Trump Q world might look like? Disavow him or stick to their man?
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 19th August 2020 at 04:46 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 04:49 AM   #20
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 96,875
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
If Trump loses, we're going to have a very strange scenario where Q people are in Congress, but the central figure of the Q narrative (Trump) will be out of power.

To be honest, a Democratic administration, and possible majority, would be the perfect environment for these people, because then they'll have a good excuse why the Q conspiracy isn't delivering.
It'd be hard for them to say "trust the plan", however.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 06:12 AM   #21
Ulf Nereng
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Norway
Posts: 651
Sounds to me like she could be someone to torture Bill Barr with. They just need to steer her in the right direction. Why isn't the FBI conducting a serious investigation into these matters? She should demand a full explanation and daily updates as to how the investigation is proceeding. I'm sure there are some republican committees she could pester, too.
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 07:08 AM   #22
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi
 
Hlafordlaes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State of Flux
Posts: 16,222
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
... Any ideas of what a post-Trump Q world might look like? Disavow him or stick to their man?
Jordan Peterson, the Guru of Doublespeak and handy hero of all who love their reason delivered in a cheap suit, will take down a formerly educated nation, now made defenseless by decades of undereducation. He'll be running against a GOP field that includes Stephen Miller, Joe Arpaio, and the evangelicals' prize candidate, Satan. "Very rich, very powerful." New GOP motto: Take the deal.
__________________
His real name is Count Douchenozzle von Stenchfahrter und Lichtendicks. - shemp
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 07:29 AM   #23
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 36,171
Part of me wants to just go "*Dryly* Oh noes. Someone who believes in an underground pizza parlor sex cabal. How ever will our government where you have to grovel your belief in the magic man in the sky to even have a chance at winning ever survive such stupidity."

Mitt Romney believed in magic underwear. Jimmy Carter saw a UFO and almost got assassinated by a rabbit. Nancy Reagan used her astrologer to inform national policy via Ron.

But on the other hand massive insane anti-government conspiracy theories do seem a little more problematically distablizing when applied to... ya know people in the government.
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 07:33 AM   #24
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 20,446
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Apparently this idiot doesn't understand that what she's demanding is unconstitutional. You know, that document she's going to swear on her oh, so precious Bible to defend.
"They are evil because they support Sharia, and to oppose that you have to base your oath on the bible!!!!"
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 08:23 AM   #25
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 23,870
Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Jordan Peterson, the Guru of Doublespeak and handy hero of all who love their reason delivered in a cheap suit, will take down a formerly educated nation, now made defenseless by decades of undereducation. He'll be running against a GOP field that includes Stephen Miller, Joe Arpaio, and the evangelicals' prize candidate, Satan. "Very rich, very powerful." New GOP motto: Take the deal.
Jordan Peterson may be dead by then, and if he's not, he'll still be Canadian. Although he's from Alberta, which is Canada's Texas, so maybe.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2020, 01:33 AM   #26
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi
 
Hlafordlaes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State of Flux
Posts: 16,222
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Jordan Peterson may be dead by then, and if he's not, he'll still be Canadian. Although he's from Alberta, which is Canada's Texas, so maybe.
As you can tell, not entirely serious. Nevertheless, the GOP is happy to skirt the Constitution if it means access to power. Maybe they'll field Putin as a candidate. Sure would get a ton of votes.
__________________
His real name is Count Douchenozzle von Stenchfahrter und Lichtendicks. - shemp
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2020, 06:31 AM   #27
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 23,870
Putin / Q in ‘22!
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2020, 06:34 AM   #28
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 36,171
Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
As you can tell, not entirely serious. Nevertheless, the GOP is happy to skirt the Constitution if it means access to power. Maybe they'll field Putin as a candidate. Sure would get a ton of votes.
"And your 2024 GOP Presidential Nominee... Pladimir Vutin!"

*Putin walks on stage wearing a pair of Groucho Marx Glasses*
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2020, 07:00 AM   #29
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 51,754
With a presidential endorsement is Q mainstream yet?

https://abc7ny.com/what-is-the-qanon...who-q/6378722/
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2020, 07:06 AM   #30
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,213
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
With a presidential endorsement is Q mainstream yet?

https://abc7ny.com/what-is-the-qanon...who-q/6378722/
I would think Qanon talking points are going to sneak into the general whataboutisms from the usual suspects soon enough. Eventually, it'll be GOP dogma, and the party will be completely disconnected from reality. Then you've got even more serious problems.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2020, 07:15 AM   #31
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 36,171
It's a Post-Fact world. There's no intellectual badrock at all to have a discussion on. And without that nothing can get better because "better" can't exist.
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2020, 07:25 AM   #32
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 32,791
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
With a presidential endorsement is Q mainstream yet?

https://abc7ny.com/what-is-the-qanon...who-q/6378722/
IMO no, not at this stage but it is a firm invitation to start the process to become mainstream.

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I would think Qanon talking points are going to sneak into the general whataboutisms from the usual suspects soon enough. Eventually, it'll be GOP dogma, and the party will be completely disconnected from reality. Then you've got even more serious problems.
I'd say that the Trumpist GOP is already completely disconnected from reality. QAnon is just moving a little further adrift IMO.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2020, 07:42 AM   #33
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 96,875
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It's a Post-Fact world. There's no intellectual badrock at all to have a discussion on.
Oh, there's plenty of badrock, yes.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2020, 06:31 PM   #34
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 31,925
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
With a presidential endorsement is Q mainstream yet?

https://abc7ny.com/what-is-the-qanon...who-q/6378722/
No. If it's crazy people in the Republican party, it's always fringe, no matter how many elected officials are a part of it or even if the Republican president endorses it.

However, if one democrat in the Himalayas says something weird, the entire Democratic establishment is extreme.
__________________
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2020, 09:46 PM   #35
Venom
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 5,342
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
If Trump loses, we're going to have a very strange scenario where Q people are in Congress, but the central figure of the Q narrative (Trump) will be out of power.

To be honest, a Democratic administration, and possible majority, would be the perfect environment for these people, because then they'll have a good excuse why the Q conspiracy isn't delivering. The conspiracy always struck me as strange because it's a conspiracy generated by a community that wields real political power, and yet they retreat to a fantasy land.

Any ideas of what a post-Trump Q world might look like? Disavow him or stick to their man?
Good point.

I remember actively waiting for Alex Jones' response to rampage killings and protests during Trump's admin. Of course he conveniently left the federal government out of it and the antifa hysteria was a nice distraction from that potential narrative.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2020, 01:44 AM   #36
Tolls
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 5,229
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Jimmy Carter saw a UFO and almost got assassinated by a rabbit.
That's a little unfair on Carter.
For the UFO incident, he's never suggested it was anything other than something he couldn't figure out. He suspects it was an aircraft of some sort.

....and the rabbit was heading for him!
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:44 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.