IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th August 2021, 02:47 AM   #1
Warp12
Master Poster

-Democrats Embracing Covid -

This board obviously has a tremendous liberal slant.

I believe that Trump was well on his way to a second term, prior to Covid. That seemed to be the way the wind was blowing, despite 3 years of witch-hunting by butt-hurt Dems. The gamechanger was Covid, which openly exposed Trump as the idiot that he is.

My question is, as a Democrat, what do you think of the trade off? Which would you choose, the current Covid death toll (and a Dem in charge), or a country without the virus, and Trump still ruling?

Last edited by Warp12; 29th August 2021 at 03:11 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 03:12 AM   #2
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'm fine with the current death rate of adults who aren't vaccinated. Americans only won Georgia, Arizona and Michigan by small margins. Being that Trump supporters are dying of COVID-19 at much higher rates in states with key races.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 04:43 AM   #3
Matthew Best
Philosopher

I'm not a Democrat, so I guess I'm not qualified to answer, but it seems like a no-brainer to say the entire world would be better off with no COVID-19, regardless of who was President of the USA.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 05:25 AM   #4
Pacal
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post

I believe that Trump was well on his way to a second term, prior to Covid. That seemed to be the way the wind was blowing, despite 3 years of witch-hunting by butt-hurt Dems. The gamechanger was Covid, which openly exposed Trump as the idiot that he is.

My question is, as a Democrat, what do you think of the trade off? Which would you choose, the current Covid death toll (and a Dem in charge), or a country without the virus, and Trump still ruling?
Hilarious.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 05:39 AM   #5
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Actually, no. It has a heavy Moderate slant. Liberal BS can be pointed out all the time. It might look liberal to a hyperpartisan since there is so much MAGA-BS that comes out and has to be pounded with a shovel.

Quote:
I would say otherwise. The GOP did rather well in the 2020 election downballot, which indicates that there were a lot of people unhappy with his grifting and other antics. His popularity was never very high, and frankly a lot of folks weren't happy with him even before he screwed up COVID.

Quote:
My greatest hope when Trump was elected was that he wouldn't have to face a crisis where his utter incompetence let the crisis run wild, because I knew how utterly inept he is at pretty much everything, and in the first few months I could see that what was considered his one decent talent was an empty shell.

My greatest fear, of course, was that he would face such a crisis.

So your question has no basis in reality, and is just a hyperpartisan mindset where you think you know what the other "side" is feeling in your strawman world.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 06:10 AM   #6
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

The op contains an oxymoron that makes the question largely irrelevant. It implies that the US democratic party is a "liberal" organization.

Although I will concede that some of their members and supporters probably are.
Old 29th August 2021, 06:14 AM   #7
angrysoba
Philosophile

GOP president ***** up and people vote for someone else.

GOP logic: "Ah! That means you wanted the **** up!!"

File under: not enough face-palms.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 07:18 AM   #8
Susheel
Master Poster

Right now, anyone who does not kiss Trump's rump ring is probably not just liberal or lefties, but a commie. I always have to suppress a laugh when people refer to Democrats as liberals or leftists.
Old 29th August 2021, 07:19 AM   #9
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Not a Democrat, and never could be. Under normal circumstances, the party in power in the USA is fairly irrelevant. It's the deals being done that make the place tick over. However...

Nobody in their right mind should have voted for Donald J Trump, even in 2016. He's such a massive, ignorant screw-up that it is likely his own ballot voted for some numpty down-the-ticket fairy-hugger by mistake. But the people who knowingly aided and abetted him, and supported his grifts, are much more to blame because they knew what they were doing. They are, effectively, the criminals.

COVID is just one of the long list of majorly ******-up grifts Trump initiated while occupying the White House. All of his grifts have left the USA worse off than before he was elected. Just that COVID is the grift that keeps on taking...lives.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 29th August 2021 at 07:21 AM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 07:27 AM   #10
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Not a Democrat, and never could be. Under normal circumstances, the party in power in the USA is fairly irrelevant. It's the deals being done that make the place tick over. However...

Nobody in their right mind should have voted for Donald J Trump, even in 2016. He's such a massive, ignorant screw-up that it is likely his own ballot voted for some numpty down-the-ticket fairy-hugger by mistake. But the people who knowingly aided and abetted him, and supported his grifts, are much more to blame because they knew what they were doing. They are, effectively, the criminals.

COVID is just one of the long list of majorly ******-up grifts Trump initiated while occupying the White House. All of his grifts have left the USA worse off than before he was elected. Just that COVID is the grift that keeps on taking...lives.
I mean, frankly the OP should be shocked enough that Trump ever got close to being elected the first time, let alone that only his **** up over Covid was a deal breaker.

Next he will be saying, "LOL! You libs are just mad because we're killing ourselves with horse worming paste that we bought in feed stores instead of taking a free vaccine like the good little commies you want us to be! The sweet sweet liberal tears! Almost as sweet as the apple flavoured Ivermectin!"
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 07:47 AM   #11
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Actually, no. It has a heavy Moderate slant. Liberal BS can be pointed out all the time. It might look liberal to a hyperpartisan since there is so much MAGA-BS that comes out and has to be pounded with a shovel.
This statement alone is an example of how immersed in a liberal psychosis this forum really is.

Last edited by Warp12; 29th August 2021 at 07:51 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 07:49 AM   #12
Warp12
Master Poster

Kudos to the international contingent who have had the guts to step up to the plate and answer a question that wasn't posed to them.
Old 29th August 2021, 07:52 AM   #13
Susheel
Master Poster

Kudos to the international contingent who have had the guts to step up to the plate and answer a question that wasn't posed to them.
You posted to a public forum. You do not get to decide who responds.
Old 29th August 2021, 07:54 AM   #14
Susheel
Master Poster

Yeah...them darn furners...
Old 29th August 2021, 08:01 AM   #15
slyjoe
Master Poster

How do you know their nationality? Americans can't live overseas?
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 08:05 AM   #16
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
You posted to a public forum. You do not get to decide who responds.
Yeah, many of thosee USAans don't seem to understand the planet very well.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 08:05 AM   #17
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
How do you know their nationality? Americans can't live overseas?
Not as far as I'm concerned.

If you are living abroad, I lump you into the "International" contingent. Like it, or not. Because, it seems unlikely that you would be voting Democrat here, while taking up residency in a foreign country. Although, it wouldn't surprise me...these are Democrats, after all.
Old 29th August 2021, 08:07 AM   #18
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Yeah, many of thosee USAans don't seem to understand the planet very well.
Even foreigners are welcome to respond, of course. But clearly, you wouldn't be considered part of the US Democratic party voters, which I clearly targeted in my post.
Old 29th August 2021, 08:09 AM   #19
sackett
Philosopher

Oh Warp12. It doesn't take an inch of gut to talk back to you.

Your opening post ended with an interesting choice of words: "...and Trump still ruling."

I wonder if rule, as in government by royal or dictatorial command, is something you'd rather like to see -- at least as long as somebody else does the obeying. But Freud's slip is long out of fash, so never mind.

Not that Donnie Depends ever ruled, or could.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 08:09 AM   #20
slyjoe
Master Poster

If you are living abroad, I lump you into the "International" contingent. Like it, or not. Because, it seems unlikely that you would be voting Democrat here, while taking up residency in a foreign country. Although, it wouldn't surprise me...these are Democrats, after all.
Americans with foreign residence DO vote - did you not know that?
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 08:10 AM   #21
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Oh Warp12. It doesn't take an inch of gut to talk back to you.

Your opening post ended with an interesting choice of words: "...and Trump still ruling."

I wonder if rule, as in government by royal or dictatorial command, is something you'd rather like to see -- at least as long as somebody else does the obeying. But Freud's slip is long out of fash, so never mind.

Not that Donnie Depends ever ruled, or could.
Could you answer the question posed?
Old 29th August 2021, 08:11 AM   #22
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

I'm not a Democrat, and I'd prefer none of the current options whatsoever be running the country. (The current right is way worse than any other group, though. They are super-villain bad.) But it's pretty silly to say that the virus would be gone if Trump were still in charge (or whatever you're trying to say). He's a LARGE part of the reason the virus got so bad here. And if the people who like him to a messianic extent would just get their vaccines already, the pandemic could end, and we could go back to having the politicians screw us over in peace and quiet. Why you guys don't want that, I have no idea. Who has the stomach for these dumb arguments day after day.

Last edited by Butter!; 29th August 2021 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Made it clear I was quoting the OP
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 08:12 AM   #23
Warp12
Master Poster

Americans with foreign residence DO vote - did you not know that?
I reject their votes as invalid.

Can you answer the question posed in the OP, or is this drivel all you have? It is quite OT.
Old 29th August 2021, 08:14 AM   #24
Susheel
Master Poster

Can you answer the question posed in the OP, or is this drivel all you have? It is quite OT.
☝��������

Last edited by Susheel; 29th August 2021 at 08:16 AM.
Susheel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 08:15 AM   #25
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Butter! View Post
I'm not a Democrat, and I'd prefer none of the current options whatsoever be running the country. But it's pretty silly to say that the virus would be gone if Trump were still in charge (or whatever you're trying to say). He's a LARGE part of the reason the virus got so bad here. And if the people who like him to a messianic extent would just get their vaccines already, the pandemic could end, and we could go back to having the politicians screw us over in peace and quiet. Why you guys don't want that, I have no idea. Who has the stomach for these dumb arguments day after day.
So, given the choice...our current administration with Covid, or Trump without, which would you choose? I have a feeling that a lot of Democrats would rather see Trump out of office, given that choice. and are quite happy about their Covid windfall.
Old 29th August 2021, 08:15 AM   #26
slyjoe
Master Poster

Why answer a false dichotomy? And no one cares whose votes you reject.
Old 29th August 2021, 08:17 AM   #27
Warp12
Master Poster

Why answer a false dichotomy? And no one cares whose votes you reject.
Then why are you even responding? Seems like you want to take this OT, purposefully.
Old 29th August 2021, 08:20 AM   #28
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Well the question is very biased drivel, so you should expect drivel in retur;.
Old 29th August 2021, 08:23 AM   #29
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Well the question is very biased drivel, so you should expect drivel in retur;.
A politically biased post? Around here?

I'd really like for some qualified, and big-talking Dems to step up to the plate and answer my question.
Old 29th August 2021, 08:25 AM   #30
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I'm the craziest libertarian here. This place is moderately liberal.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 08:26 AM   #31
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'd really like for some qualified, and big-talking Dems to step up to the plate and answer my question.
"I demand a Civil Debate! Come back here and debate me you cowards! I want to be in your heads rent free!"

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 08:27 AM   #32
angrysoba
Philosophile

Iím not American so I donít vote Democrat (the foreign interference is a Republican thing although I expect you donít mind about that!) I know a lot of Americans here who vote Democrat and a few who vote Republican. Itís their right to do so given that they file their taxes and have a stake in what happens in their country. You may have forgotten your basic civics classes assuming you went to school.

Old 29th August 2021, 08:29 AM   #33
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I'm the craziest libertarian here. This place is moderately liberal.
Which means, to any casual observer, it would be classified as tremendously liberal. As I stated in my OP.
Old 29th August 2021, 08:29 AM   #34
sackett
Philosopher

Could you answer the question posed?
But it's so boring!

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 08:30 AM   #35
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Iím not American so I donít vote Democrat (the foreign interference is a Republican thing although I expect you donít mind about that!) I know a lot of Americans here who vote Democrat and a few who vote Republican. Itís their right to do so given that they file their taxes and have a stake in what happens in their country. You may have forgotten your basic civics classes assuming you went to school.
Yet another contributor who is unable to answer the question, and not part of the target audience. But, thanks for your .02.
Old 29th August 2021, 08:33 AM   #36
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Perhaps because the Republicans have a pronounced anti-reality slant. See, for example, The Republican War on Science.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 08:35 AM   #37
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Perhaps because the Republicans have a pronounced anti-reality slant. See, for example, The Republican War on Science.
I could write a library of content on what I disagree with / don't like about the American Left.

I'm just always on their side politically because they haven't launched a war on reality itself with trolling (and the exact same trolling, we don't even get any variety) being their only tactic.

The Left at least stays wrong within normal parameters and doesn't take "Nobody can be that stupid" as a challenge.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 29th August 2021 at 08:36 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 08:35 AM   #38
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Are you a voting Democrat who can answer the original question? Or is this an intentional derail?
Old 29th August 2021, 08:38 AM   #39
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I could write a library of content on what I disagree with / don't like about the American Left.

I'm just always on their side politically because they haven't launched a war on reality itself with trolling (and the exact same trolling, we don't even get any variety) being their only tactic.

The Left at least stays wrong within normal parameters and doesn't take "Nobody can be that stupid" as a challenge.
This is completely OT. Can you answer my question, as a voting Democrat?

If not, fine. There is a thread here, that you may have seen, where you can vent about trolling:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=353512
Old 29th August 2021, 08:40 AM   #40
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah youíre right. Politically biased drivel is predominant in this sub forum. So ask a biased question, receive a biased answer. Seems completely pointless.

Would you be the one to determine if a responder is a democrat and is ďbig-talkingĒ? Would you apply your own bias to this determination? Again, completely pointless.

And my participation in this thread? Well, you knowÖÖ

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics