ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia politics , Julia Gillard

Old 18th February 2013, 04:55 AM   #121
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

My proposition is that there was a more useless P.M.
John Howard.
See thread below and my comment.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...=245679&page=3
Quote:
Cannot agree about Howard.
A Prime Minister that did nothing with the rivers of money except tax cuts and middle class welfare. Look at our mess now with a lack of technological and transport infrastructure.
A Prime Minister that took us into the most immoral war that we have ever been in, (Iraq).
The Prime Minister with the most profligate wasteful spending in recent decades following analysis by the IMF.
A Prime Minister that had no compunction to divide the country and demonise people for his own political gain.
+
Who saw Four Corners tonight?
I did and it bought back memories of a big skeleton in John Howard's cupboard.
The F35.
A real white elephant.
A Government bungle of monumental proportions.
Here was a P.M. in John Howard who in 2002 signed up to an aircraft that had never flown. An aircraft that has insurmountable software problems and still does. An aircraft that should be flying with the Australian colours, now. An aircraft that won't be ready until 2020, if at all.
We have signed up for 100 white elephants at $130 million dollars each at the current price. Who knows what the price will be in 2020.
John Howard signed up in a secret meeting with Lockheed Martin, he was hoodwinked.
I say John Howard is the most useless P.M. we have ever had.
What if Julia Gillard had done all of the above?

Last edited by wombatwal; 18th February 2013 at 04:58 AM.
wombatwal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2013, 05:36 AM   #122
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Originally Posted by wombatwal View Post
I say John Howard is the most useless P.M. we have ever had.
What if Julia Gillard had done all of the above?
She would get to add just a couple more stuff ups to the incredibly long list she has compiled in a very short time.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2013, 07:17 AM   #123
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Hey, come on, the F-35 Looks really cool!

Not as cool as an F-111 during dump and burn, but still...
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2013, 12:13 PM   #124
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Hallo Alfie View Post
In other words, when Julia says "I feel your pain" as she has done over and again, she is lying?
Colour me unsurprised.
In other words, Abbott is lying about how bad things are. Colour me unsurprised.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2013, 02:34 PM   #125
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
In other words, Abbott is lying about how bad things are. Colour me unsurprised.
We either listen to one Gillard (and her apologists) when they say the economy is doing great and we have never been better off, or we listen to another Gillard who says things are bad.

Gillard wants it both ways when she talks up the economy on the one hand and then cynically tries to create a class war by telling the punters she "feels their pain".

But which Gillard is the real one?

Abbott is at least consistent.
Gillard is not.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2013, 02:56 PM   #126
a_unique_person

We either listen to one Gillard (and her apologists) when they say the economy is doing great and we have never been better off, or we listen to another Gillard who says things are bad.

Gillard wants it both ways when she talks up the economy on the one hand and then cynically tries to create a class war by telling the punters she "feels their pain".

But which Gillard is the real one?

Abbott is at least consistent.
Gillard is not.
http://www.crikey.com.au/2011/03/09/...ebates-abbott/

Quote:
Tony Abbott: Climate change is a relatively new political issue, but it’s been happening since the earth’s beginning. The extinction of the dinosaurs is thought to have been associated with climate change.

Tony Abbott: I’ve always thought that climate change was real because I’ve always known about the ice age and other things which indicate that over time climate does change.

Tony Abbott: I am, as you know, hugely unconvinced by the so-called settled science on climate change. Atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide have significantly increased since the spread of industrialisation, but it seems that noticeable warming has only taken place between the 1970s and 1990s.

Tony Abbott: We have a clear policy on climate change. Climate change is real.

Tony Abbott: I mean in the end this whole thing is a question of fact, not faith, or it should be a question of fact not faith and we can discover whether the planet is warming or not by measurement. And it seems that notwithstanding the dramatic increases in man-made CO2 emissions over the last decade, the world’s warming has stopped. Now admittedly we are still pretty warm by recent historical standards but there doesn’t appear to have been any appreciable warming since the late 1990s.

Tony Abbott: It’s quite likely that increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has had some effect on climate, but debate rages among scientists over its extent and relative impact given all the other factors at work.
It actually goes on a lot longer than that.

Politicians tell the public what they want to hear. They all do it. Even Julia Gillard, it's Politics 101.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes

Last edited by a_unique_person; 18th February 2013 at 02:58 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2013, 03:25 PM   #127
Hallo Alfie
Banned

You are off topic as usual. If you wish to discuss Tony Abbott, please do so in the thread designed for him. This thread is about the appalling PM that is Julia Gillard who is as divisive a PM as we have ever had.

Her party hates her but has no clear front runner and limited options.

The sooner she goes (and her idiot offsider Swan) the better for Australia.
Old 18th February 2013, 03:44 PM   #128
a_unique_person

You are off topic as usual. If you wish to discuss Tony Abbott, please do so in the thread designed for him. This thread is about the appalling PM that is Julia Gillard who is as divisive a PM as we have ever had.

Her party hates her but has no clear front runner and limited options.

The sooner she goes (and her idiot offsider Swan) the better for Australia.
You are making it sound like Gillard is the only politician who is economical with the truth. A topic like this prevents any evidence that anyone else who is a politician also may be.
Old 18th February 2013, 03:54 PM   #129
Hallo Alfie
Banned

You are making it sound like Gillard is the only politician who is economical with the truth.
Not at all. What she does do is however is consistently tell blatant and demonstrable lies.

But again, we are off topic; her lies have a thread all of their own (as per moderator instruction). This thread is about her incompetence, the latest include:
- the mining tax
- boat arrivals
- budget surplus
- election announcement timing
- politics of hate, envy and class
Old 18th February 2013, 08:20 PM   #130
Hallo Alfie
Banned

The honeymoon is over.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nat...-1226581081454
Quote:
GREENS Leader Christine Milne has moved to distance her party from the embattled Gillard government, announcing the end of the minor party's alliance with the Labor Party.

The Greens believe the Government has sided with mining giants Rio, BHP and Xstrata, and that special deals with them break the agreement with her.

"By choosing those big miners, the Labor Government is making it clear to all that it no longer has the courage and the will to work with the Greens on a shared agenda in the national interest," Senator Milne told the National Press Club.

"Labor by its actions has walked away from its agreement with the Greens and into the arms of the big miners," she said.
ROTFFL - nearly wet my pants - when I read that Milne accuses the government of siding with the miners.

The greens seem upset that Gillard has broken a promise to them - poor dears, they will just have to get in line.
Old 19th February 2013, 03:22 PM   #131
Hallo Alfie
Banned

The Age is turning against Gillard and Swan too it seems:

Quote:
THE Gillard government's innovation and jobs package was launched this week despite warnings from the Industry Department and the Tax Office that the $1 billion saving at the heart of the policy might never eventuate.
I understand that Treasury and elsewhere are leaking against Gillard and Swan, which is where this info comes from.
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/pol...#ixzz2LO0brKwH
Old 19th February 2013, 11:09 PM   #132
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Hot on the heels of Julia's $1b jobs plan, she shows us just how much it really means to her.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226580673729
Quote:
JULIA Gillard's office furniture will be re-upholstered in plush Scottish leather after the hides of Australian-grown beasts failed to meet strict quality standards.

A West Melbourne company proudly announced the delivery of the custom hides yesterday as the Prime Minister pitched her new Australian jobs plan in Brisbane.

The $1 billion jobs plan will require companies to ensure local manufacturers get a chance to tender for big mining and construction projects.
Hopeless! She is truly hopeless.
Old 20th February 2013, 12:22 AM   #133
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Carbon Tax a winner!
For coal producers
Quote:
Australia's biggest carbon emitters are being accused of passing on the entire cost of the carbon tax while pocketing government compensation.

Analysis by consultants Carbon and Energy Markets suggests that brown coal power plants in Victoria's Latrobe Valley could get billions of dollars in compensation over the next few years.
Just when you start to think there could be no more bad news for this PM and the dysfunctional rabble she calls a government, we get news that the carbon tax might actually reward those they are trying to punish.

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Quote:
The report was commissioned by not-for-profit green group Environment Victoria.

Campaigns director Mark Wakeham says consumers are paying while the Government props up the dirtiest form of electricity generation.

"It appears that households might be paying twice for the carbon price," he said.

"They might be having the carbon price passed on to them by generators and retailers and are also paying in the form of tax transfers to the companies that own these power stations," he said.
Brilliant!

Last edited by Hallo Alfie; 20th February 2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 20th February 2013, 02:11 PM   #134
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Quote:
The Gillard government is facing another $1 billion budget shortfall and an embarrassing parliamentary defeat, with the Greens and the Coalition set to block cuts to research and development funding.
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/pol...220-2erqh.html
The divorce between the Greens and Gillard might just be a very good thing for Australia. It means that foolish policies might not pass muster.

Quote:
Senator Milne said the decision to block the R&D cuts showed ''the difference between having an agreement with Labor and not having one''.
''Before we would have tried to help them sort this mess out, now they're on their own and I'm not going to support this ill-conceived policy … it's complete madness to be undermining Australia's research and development culture.''
One wonders how many 'ill-conceived policies' were implemented in this marriage of convenience?
- carbon tax
- MRRT
- Cattle exports
- $10b clean energy fund
- And many more

Worst PM ever. History will judge her very very poorly.
Old 11th July 2013, 04:34 PM   #135
Hallo Alfie
Banned

[*Relieved sigh*]

Isn't it wonderful; she is gone.
Old 13th July 2013, 12:15 AM   #136
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

[*Relieved sigh*]

Isn't it wonderful; she is gone.
If you are left with that much of a loose end you could always start The Tony Abbott would be a useless PM thread
Old 13th July 2013, 12:59 AM   #137
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
If you are left with that much of a loose end you could always start The Tony Abbott would be a useless PM thread
I could, but I reckon he will be OK. Even if he was appalling he would still be better than the yabbie.

Isn't it great she has gone?
Old 24th July 2013, 06:06 AM   #138
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Worst PM ever this one. The yabbie slept her way through most of the Labor party including the married men therein. She screwed the Labor party to the point of collapse and was working hared on doing the same to Australia on a number of fronts.

Her lies, deceptions and incompetence finally caught up with her while the idiot apologists wondered incredulously what it was all about.

It was truly a great day for the nation when the Labor party finally did the right thing and kicked the loose so-and-so out of power.

History will judge her very very poorly.

Last edited by Hallo Alfie; 24th July 2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 24th July 2013, 09:45 AM   #139
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Her lies, deceptions and incompetence finally caught up with her while the idiot apologists wondered incredulously what it was all about.

Would those be the idiot apologists that are still allowed to post here, or some other group?

History will judge her very very poorly.

History is a record of stuff that actually happened.

Judgement falls solely within the ambit of the bloody minded and the comma challenged.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2013, 09:42 PM   #140
philkensebben
Graduate Poster

Seriously? She slept her way through most of the Labor Party? The Yabbie? Grow the hell up.
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2013, 09:55 PM   #141
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by philkensebben View Post
Seriously? She slept her way through most of the Labor Party? The Yabbie? Grow the hell up.
Bob Hawke, in contrast, was a known womaniser and alcoholic. Australia loved him.
Old 26th July 2013, 01:45 AM   #142
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Bob Hawke, in contrast, was a known womaniser and alcoholic. Australia loved him.
Get real uap, Bob is a bloke, makes all of the difference.
Bob slept his way around everywhere, was he condemned, no a hero.
wombatwal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2013, 02:51 AM   #143
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by wombatwal View Post
Get real uap, Bob is a bloke, makes all of the difference.
Bob slept his way around everywhere, was he condemned, no a hero.
Bob Hawke was a larrikin and that is what made him popular. However, he went on the wagon when he became PM.

His womanizing didn't win him any respect from anybody (although he cried about it and that won him admiration from many women). Unfortunately, it is one of those double standards that men who sleep around don't get anywhere near the condemnation that women who sleep around do.
Old 26th July 2013, 01:30 PM   #144
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Unfortunately, it is one of those double standards that men who sleep around don't get anywhere near the condemnation that women who sleep around do.

Or, for that matter, women whose poorly informed critics like to fantasise about them sleeping around.

Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2013, 02:14 PM   #145
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
Or, for that matter, women whose poorly informed critics like to fantasise about them sleeping around.
Or those that like to criticise, particularly women, that may sleep around, are as pure as the driven snow.
Old 26th July 2013, 06:58 PM   #146
a_unique_person

Correct. How are those AWU allegations going. After years of baseless accusations and investigations, still nothing. These rumours have even less evidence to back them.
Old 27th July 2013, 02:05 AM   #147
Legend
Focu Meu!

The thing is, Gillard was a bad PM. Some would say she was so bad that she was practically naughty. She was a naughty lady who needed to be whipped into line by a large group of disciplinarians, namely the whole country, not taken care of by one man. What a hog.
~ RoboTimbo
Legend is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2013, 02:22 AM   #148
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Gillard: a total slut.

Just trying to fill in a void here....

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2013, 08:43 AM   #149
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

You're all reported.

Old 27th July 2013, 08:45 AM   #150
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

How good is it to have our threads back to normal?

Old 27th July 2013, 09:28 AM   #151
Wildy
Adelaidean

I don't know since it seems that discussion in those threads have now stopped.

Wildy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2013, 09:42 AM   #152
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
I don't know since it seems that discussion in those threads have now stopped.

Indeed, and I ought to have said "How good is it that there is now some hope of having our threads return to normal?"

Hope springs eternal, my friend.

Old 27th July 2013, 10:45 AM   #153
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Legend View Post
The thing is, Gillard was a bad PM. Some would say she was so bad that she was practically naughty. She was a naughty lady who needed to be whipped into line by a large group of disciplinarians, namely the whole country, not taken care of by one man. What a hog.
Tongue in cheek for sure but the fact remains that Julia Gillard became unpopular because of her performance as a PM - not because of her performance as a woman.

Sure, some people will say she was not that bad a PM (therefore it must be because she is a woman, right?) but then again, some people will say that Tony Abbott would not make that bad a PM. Go figure.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics