ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags part 2 , loose change , 911 conspiracy theory

Closed Thread
Old 24th May 2006, 08:15 AM   #1
Kiwiwriter
Graduate Poster

Smile Loose Change and Loose Screws

Mod WarningSplit from "Loose Change" to try and make it more accessible. Part 1 can be found here: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=53102
Posted By:Darat

I heard about this DVD from seeing it advertised on E-Bay for $1 a pop ad nauseum. I read the screenplay on a website that debunked it, and got very angry after reading it.

Stuff like "Loose Change" and all these conspiracy theories are a massive insult to the cops, firefighters, PA cops, and PA employees who died in that building on September 11. Through my wife, I know 85 of the PA guys who died in it. A high school classmate died in it (a big wheel in the PA), and so did the brother of another alumnus (and son of one of my teachers).

My pal Mike Sheridan was operations manager of the WTC during the 1993 blast. Not AN operations manager, THE operations manager. He had a key ring that would cost him $75,000 to replace. He could open every door in the building. He saved lives in 1993, then retired to Florida. But because of his post and importance in the union, he was in touch with all the PA people from top to bottom. He got to see the people he saved in 1993 die horribly in 2001, watching it from his lounger in Boca Raton.

Mike and I have discussed the WTC bombings many times, and he's made it clear that the conspiracy theories are horse manure on a grand scale. Yes, the building could be knocked down by planes full of jet fuel. Yes, it was knocked down by planes full of jet fuel. Yes, the official story is what happened. No, George Bush, the Mossad, the Masons, the Bilderbergers, and the World Wildlife Fund did NOT blow up the buildings and kill thousands of innocents to cover up launching a war, stealing gold, or imposing a Fascist dictatorship on the United States.

The real problem, as I see it, is that thanks to Vietnam, Watergate, and the scandals since then, we now have whole generations of intelligent people in the United States, who simply do not believe anything authority tells them. They are completely cynicized, regard everything but urban legends, conspiracy theories, and Comedy Central as being part of some grand conspiracy, and nothing but liars.

They don't trust anybody...except their psychic.

Last edited by Darat; 25th May 2006 at 02:33 PM.
Kiwiwriter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 08:55 AM   #2
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Excellent post, Kiwiwriter. And welcome to the forum!
Old 24th May 2006, 09:08 AM   #3
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Explosives...mixed...with concrete?

Mixed?

Explosives?

*Huntsman shakes it off*

You know, I can mix a couple hundred eggs with concrete, but it doesn't leave me with anything useable in an omelet.
Someone actually may have said as much earlier in this thread, although it may have been in the 'Any Conspiracy Busters in here" thread.

In any case, he was impervious to the idea that mixing the two leaves you with something that is neither good for demolition or for structuring.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 10:11 AM   #4
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Someone actually may have said as much earlier in this thread, although it may have been in the 'Any Conspiracy Busters in here" thread.

In any case, he was impervious to the idea that mixing the two leaves you with something that is neither good for demolition or for structuring.
That was "love" in the "Any Conspiracy Busters..." thread. If anyone reading this thread finds CTs to be obstinate lunkheads, try reading that one. It's absolutely brutal. geggy is a breath of fresh air and light comedy compared to "thesyntaxera" on that thread. In his first post, he gets almost everything wrong, despite having been "researching (not just debating)" these issues for four years. I wish I had found that thread before jumping into this stuff. The logic and evidence demonstrated by Year Zero, Kevin Lowe, kookbreaker, CurtC, MRC Hans, Manny, and others, combined with he moonbat claims of thesyntaxera, make for a good introduction to debunking of any kind.

eta link

What's the Harm?........Stop Sylvia Browne........My 9/11 links

Last edited by Gravy; 24th May 2006 at 10:18 AM.
Gravy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 10:28 AM   #5
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

I saw a special on the building of the Hoover Dam where the question arose of whether any workers were entombed in the concrete after accidentally falling in. An expert said, "Of course not! They would never let that happen. The bodies would have weakened the concrete."

You can imagine what tons of explosives would have done.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 10:32 AM   #6
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Not to mention that the explosives most likely would not work.

Scratch that, it would not work, not if there was enough concrete left to still function function as concrete.

I mean, these people apparently think that all you have to do to get plastic explosive is mix some smokeless powder with some Play-DohTM. It doesn't work that way.

The depths of ignorance never cease to astound me.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 10:52 AM   #7
Correa Neto
Philosopher

What exactly are the CT's "proposals" that would work? Still have not seen any.

All I see is stupidity. Like the small nuke and the thermite "theories". The "theories" involving missiles and UAVs can be easilly debunked by reading info and specs readilly avaliable in defense magazines and sites.
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 10:56 AM   #8
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Yeah, but there are levels of ignorance.

You know, the thermite claim shows an ignorance of explosives and structural engineering. The Concrete-explosives mixed claim shows an ignorance of chemistry, physics, explosives, structural engineering, and construction techniques.

Just seems to be a broader, deeper ignorance than the run-of-the-mill stupidity.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 11:06 AM   #9
Correa Neto
Philosopher

You know, just like some woos, these guys seem to take ideas right up from the lower end of their digestive system... Never check, never care about considering feasibility. The explosives/concrete mix is an example. Note that besides the obvious problems related to strenght of the concrete, explosive location, concentration, and placement of detonators, it would imply WTC was meant to be destroyed since it was planned!!!!

Its stupid.

They spend days checking the latest CT buzz but never care to check, say, the specs of a sidewinder missile to see if it can do what they claim it did!!!

Its stupid.
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 11:09 AM   #10
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Yep.

The majority of their claims could be disproven with 5 minutes on Google.

Heck, even with 10 minutes and a good encyclopedia, for most.

But, as much as they talk about how important it is, and how dedicated they are, and how the truth must be found...they don't do even the basic checking of facts. They don't even attempt to find unbiased sources. They look only for CT sights and CT papers, assuming that only those who already believe are objective. It's an odd case of begging the question. Beggint he question by proxy, maybe (they only look for or accept evidence from those who already agree with their pre-formed conclusion).
Old 24th May 2006, 11:49 AM   #11
Ramooone
Thinker

oh man, i hope this thread is a joke, if not then...i dont even know, im speechless

http://s15.invisionfree.com/Loose_Ch...post&p=4627571

"an astronomer tried to outwit a police officer by using the doppler affect, having been caught jumping a red light, the astronomer argued that the light appeared green to him because he was moving towards it and it blueshifted. the police office excused him of the red light ticket and promptly wrote him a speeding ticket."
Ramooone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 11:57 AM   #12
Overman
Master Poster

I am on page 13, I plan on reading this whole thing. I am currently argueing (I don't know why I am, but I feel compelled to) with a couple CTers on www.stereokiller.com

The first 5 pages were just about all I needed to refute many of their claims. I can't wait till I get to page 78!!(holy crap this is a monster thread)

Thanks for all the info everyone!

P.S. This is what the alphabet would look like if R & Q were eliminated.
Overman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 11:59 AM   #13
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Originally Posted by Ramooone View Post
oh man, i hope this thread is a joke, if not then...i dont even know, im speechless

Unfortunately not a joke, just another moron. This is from that guy's website:

Quote:
Expertise: really messed up ****, the illuminati, anunnaki, psychic vampirism, witchcraft, giving advice(more like showing options, but yea), i pretty much become a mild expert at anything i show an interest in .. i'm the type to research stuff hardcore for months at a time
But the funniest thing on that thread is when "Terrorcell" gets involved with a "correction."

Quote:
1) I hate David Icke.

2) If you're going to discuss the Annunaki then you need to do a little homework on them first. Long story short. 12th planet on a crazy orbit enters close to our planet every 1,200 or 12,000 years I forget. The Anunnaki are "God". They played scientist with the monkey DNA in order to create a slave race to mine gold for them. Gold is their oil. Thus this is the reason we have a gold based economy. They were worshipped by the Sumerians I believe.

3) If you really want to learn about the Annunaki then you need to visit Zecharia Sitchin and stay away from Icke.

Gravy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 12:00 PM   #14
Hutch
A broken man on a Halifax pier, the last of Barrett's Privateers

Yeah, I have been following that myself--David Icke and Planet X and terrorcell (who started his post sounding quite sane) dragging in Stichin and somebody else mentioning Hovind---all in the same thread--

That one killed brain cells.
Old 24th May 2006, 12:01 PM   #15
Arkan_Wolfshade
Philosopher

Yep.

The majority of their claims could be disproven with 5 minutes on Google.

Heck, even with 10 minutes and a good encyclopedia, for most.

But, as much as they talk about how important it is, and how dedicated they are, and how the truth must be found...they don't do even the basic checking of facts. They don't even attempt to find unbiased sources. They look only for CT sights and CT papers, assuming that only those who already believe are objective. It's an odd case of begging the question. Beggint he question by proxy, maybe (they only look for or accept evidence from those who already agree with their pre-formed conclusion).
I'd disagree on the Google point. There is so much drek from CT sites cluttering search results it gives me a headache trying to do fact checking against their claims.
Arkan_Wolfshade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 12:05 PM   #16
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by Arkan_Wolfshade View Post
I'd disagree on the Google point. There is so much drek from CT sites cluttering search results it gives me a headache trying to do fact checking against their claims.
Well, I limit most of my searches to .edu and .gov domains, so perhaps I miss a lot of that
Old 24th May 2006, 12:06 PM   #17
dubfan
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
Yeah, I have been following that myself--David Icke and Planet X and terrorcell (who started his post sounding quite sane) dragging in Stichin and somebody else mentioning Hovind---all in the same thread--

That one killed brain cells.
Not there now. Following the link returns an error.

ETA: weird, you have to log in to see it. I wonder if "Alternative Theories" is viewable only to registered members. The skeptics forum was that way for a while, too.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of what he was never reasoned into." -- Jonathan Swift
dubfan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 12:08 PM   #18
Arkan_Wolfshade
Philosopher

Well, I limit most of my searches to .edu and .gov domains, so perhaps I miss a lot of that
Probably. I find that I end up with a search string of "<stuff i'm looking for> -<ct website> -<ct website> -<ct website> -<ct website> etc"
Arkan_Wolfshade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 12:10 PM   #19
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
Not there now. Following the link returns an error.
Can woowoo's make a theory so goofy that even they can't stand it?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 12:12 PM   #20
Hutch

A Suggestion when the LC'ers Get here...

....If they ever do, must be problems in giving a name, location, and birthdate--heck, some regulars here left because of the rule, can you imagine the CT'ers take on asking for that info???

Anyway, rather than keep this thread going-to very likely answer the same questions again--I would propose that 4-5 threads be started with titles much like a HS Debate for each of the major topics. For example:

Resolved: Flight 77 Hit the Pentagon

Resolved: Flight 93 Crashed in Pennsylvania

Resolved: Flights 11 and (sorry, I vapor lock) hit the WTC 1 and 2.

Resolved: WTC 1 and WTC 2 were brought down by demolition charges

Resolved: WTC 7 was destroyed by controlled demolition

This would at least quantify the arguments and focus them on the major points, rather than being all over the place like this thread and also will dispense with some of the odder ideas (Icke's reptiles, explosives in concrete)

Just a though if/when the LC'ers get approval.
Old 24th May 2006, 12:14 PM   #21
Arkan_Wolfshade
Philosopher

Can woowoo's make a theory so goofy that even they can't stand it?
As a whole? No. On an individual basis? Yes.
Old 24th May 2006, 12:19 PM   #22
Correa Neto
Philosopher

All I can get is a
Quote:
You do not have permission to view this topic
Message.

And checking LC forum main page I can not find a link to Alternative Theories. Quite possibly, its only for members.
Old 24th May 2006, 12:26 PM   #23
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

I'm there.
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 12:42 PM   #24
Hutch

Originally Posted by CFLarsen View Post
Now they're for it; JREF has deployed its WMP (Weapon of Mass Posting)

Seriously, I think that is why the few skeptics posting there cause so much consternation--I mean, they reference a Danish newspaper, we have a bloody Dane to rebut it. They are quite unused to having people with knowledge and skills opposing them, IMHO.
Old 24th May 2006, 01:05 PM   #25
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Overman View Post
P.S. This is what the alphabet would look like if R & Q were eliminated.
Hey, you took that from Mitch Hedberg's letter to his dad!

(I think it was Mitch Hedberg - there is another comedian named Mitch that is kind of similar, but in a cruder way - Ducks eat free at Subway!)
Old 24th May 2006, 01:12 PM   #26
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Hehehe....

Seriously, I think that is why the few skeptics posting there cause so much consternation--I mean, they reference a Danish newspaper, we have a bloody Dane to rebut it. They are quite unused to having people with knowledge and skills opposing them, IMHO.
Yep, I noticed the flustered responses too.

Gee, someone could actually check what they claimed. And rebut it too, by pointing out that the story came from AP and not the Danish journalist!

One false story down, a million to go...
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 01:42 PM   #27
money
Muse

Wow, this thread is up over 100,000 views. That's pretty impressive...

www.stopsylvia.com
money is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 02:11 PM   #28
Pardalis
Banned

Forget about all the physical evidence and basic logic to try to convince anyone that LC is wrong. All we need to do is show anybody who is "on the fence" some of these LC threads and they'll realise how nuts these conspiracists are.
Pardalis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 03:00 PM   #29
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Not there now. Following the link returns an error. ETA: weird, you have to log in to see it. I wonder if "Alternative Theories" is viewable only to registered members. The skeptics forum was that way for a while, too.
I simply couldn't allow that thread to go on, so I psychically vampirically sucked it off the site.

That Ekstra Bladet article made as much sense to me as anything i've seen on the LC forum, and I don't speak Danish.

Old 24th May 2006, 03:12 PM   #30
dubfan
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
I simply couldn't allow that thread to go on, so I psychically vampirically sucked it off the site.
If only. I just talked to one of the mods over there. The "Alternative Theories" Forum should be visible to non-members now.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of what he was never reasoned into." -- Jonathan Swift
dubfan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 04:40 PM   #31
Mr. Skinny
Alien Cryogenic Engineer

Originally Posted by money View Post
Wow, this thread is up over 100,000 views. That's pretty impressive...
Not really. 237.5 of those views are mine. We government shills have to monitor the thread closely, but only post the occasional disinformation needed to prop up the "Skeptics Theory (ST)" We ST'ers are sneaky that way!

Edited for mis-acronyming?
"Deities do not organize, they command." - Hokulele

Last edited by Mr. Skinny; 24th May 2006 at 04:59 PM.
Mr. Skinny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 04:51 PM   #32
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

This would at least quantify the arguments and focus them on the major points, rather than being all over the place like this thread and also will dispense with some of the odder ideas (Icke's reptiles, explosives in concrete)
Hutch, CT'ers cannot stay on topic, it's programmed into their DNA. I guarantee you their first post in the Pentagon thread would involve WTC 7.
Old 24th May 2006, 04:57 PM   #33
hellaeon
Graduate Poster

But the funniest thing on that thread is when "Terrorcell" gets involved with a "correction."
Isnt the planet Tiamat, and expected every 3600 years?
I need to go and get my 12th planet book!
hellaeon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 04:59 PM   #34
Beleth
FAQ Creator

Originally Posted by geggy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleth :
What exactly would be investigated?

I mean, the physical evidence is pretty well gone. Wherever it went, be it China or Jersey or that warehouse they put the Ark of the Covenant, the physical evidence has all been moved and cooled.

Videos? That's being done constantly anyway.

Eyewitness testimony? Given that memories change after the fact, these aren't going to be of much use either.

Sekrit gubmint files? If they exist, we'll never see them. Not for another 50 years at least.

So what is left?
So in your opinion, NIST's soon to be released report of the collapsing of WTC7 will be inconclusive?

Videos of police and firefighter testimony of hearing explosives might be as useful of an evidence as videos of a plane hitting the pentagon?

If the fbi and the cia failed to connect the dots prior to sept 11, how were they able to name 19 hijackers within a week of the attacks? Simply by looking at the passenger manifest including the arab-sounding names? If these names are on the terrorist watch list, how were they able to get in and out of the US with the visa prior to sept 11?
Your questions don't answer my question.

What is left to investigate further?
Old 24th May 2006, 06:10 PM   #35
Correa Neto
Philosopher

If only. I just talked to one of the mods over there. The "Alternative Theories" Forum should be visible to non-members now.
Thank you.

You just showed me drinking alcohol is not the only way to burn neurons. This one really sucks...
Old 24th May 2006, 07:38 PM   #36
NoZed Avenger
Penultimate Amazing

Expertise: really messed up ****, the illuminati, anunnaki, psychic vampirism, witchcraft, giving advice(more like showing options, but yea), i pretty much become a mild expert at anything i show an interest in .. i'm the type to research stuff hardcore for months at a time

I hope his next project is "grammar and punctuation." Geeze.
NoZed Avenger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2006, 07:47 PM   #37
dubfan
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Correa Neto View Post
Thank you.

You just showed me drinking alcohol is not the only way to burn neurons. This one really sucks...
It hurt me worse than it hurts you.

Old 24th May 2006, 07:47 PM   #38
Arkan_Wolfshade
Philosopher

<Gomer Pyle>
Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!
</Gomer Pyle>
Quote:
Arkan_Wolfshade,
Your member account at Loose Change Forum has been temporarily suspended.

Your account will not be functional until Jun 24 2006, 02:31 AM (depending on your timezone). This is an automated process and you do not need to do anything to expediate the unsuspension process.

Board Address: http://s15.invisionfree.com/Loose_Ch...orum/index.php
Old 24th May 2006, 07:57 PM   #39
dubfan
Critical Thinker

Me too. Not sure what I did (or didn't do) to warrant the lesser punishment, though.

Quote:
Your account has been temporarily suspended. This suspension is due to end on May 26 2006, 08:29 AM.
ETA: looks like an IP ban, too.

Old 24th May 2006, 08:00 PM   #40
Ramooone
Thinker

The CT claim that silverstein made alot of money off the collapse of WTC 7 is completely untrue.

His lease only covered WTC 1 and 2. It was on the news today because of the new WTC7 opening up, they explained about how his lease and insurance worked and WTC7 was not part of it. if i can find the clip i'll post it.

"an astronomer tried to outwit a police officer by using the doppler affect, having been caught jumping a red light, the astronomer argued that the light appeared green to him because he was moving towards it and it blueshifted. the police office excused him of the red light ticket and promptly wrote him a speeding ticket."
Ramooone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories