ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th October 2019, 01:59 AM   #1
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Pennsylvania teacher on administrative leave after video of racist rant

The incident happened Thursday morning in Upper Darby

Quote:
The incident took place Thursday morning in the parking lot of Drexel Hill Middle School in Upper Darby. A parent of a student said he got into a minor car accident with a teacher at the school. He said the teacher then began to make racist and derogatory remarks toward him. He recorded part of the exchange.

“You’re probably on welfare too,” the teacher says at the start of the clip, which lasts a little over a minute and a half.

“Not even a little bit, six figures a year ma’am,” the parent replies. “Because I’m young and I’m black is the reason you would say that.”

“That’s right, because you’re black,” the teacher says.

The teacher uses more racial remarks as the video continues.

“Always looking to milk the system,” the teacher says. “And you see me, a white woman, so you think I got money.”

“Not even a little bit,” the parent replies. “Don’t even look like you got it.”

“Shut the f--- up,” the teacher says. “Go back to your welfare. Your section 8 house.”

The two continue to go back and forth. The teacher then calls the parent a “n-----" toward the end of the video.

“I’m sorry?” the parent asks. “This situation could change real quick.”

“Oh yeah,” the teacher replies while walking toward the man. “What are you gonna do about it?”

The parent later posted the video of the confrontation on Facebook and it went viral. He also reported the incident to the Upper Darby School District, which confirmed the woman is a teacher at Drexel Hill Middle School. They did not reveal her identity however.
The video is embedded on the article website, sans annoying ads. It's not very long, and easy to watch.

While the racist woman is shown examining her rear bumper for damage (ostensibly?), there's not enough information in the video to directly show nature of the accident - whether the cameraman ran into her from behind, or she perhaps backed into him while leaving a parking space as he was passing by for instance. However, I'm going to tentatively posit it was probably closer to the latter. The orientation of her truck relative to the travel lane for instance may suggest this; but mostly because considering how much her truck was damaged (or should I say, wasn't damaged) by the accident, the obvious extreme depth of her rage at an accident in which she clearly wasn't at risk for any kind of injury and for which she should know with confidence she wasn't at fault (if that were the case) makes no sense; and neither does her ranting about black people "always milking the system", or the insinuation that the cameraman deliberately caused the accident somehow because he must've thought that since she was white she "had money", as auto insurance fraud in a situation like this (involving a collision with a stranger rather than a co-conspirator) requires being the victim of the accident, not the person at-fault.

But I could be completely wrong about the above and it wouldn't matter; ultimately, the particulars of the accident itself are of secondary importance. Primary of course is the woman's unabashedly racist ranting, which has gotten her placed on leave while the district investigates.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 06:09 AM   #2
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Primary of course is the woman's unabashedly racist ranting ...

Don't forget her classism.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 06:39 AM   #3
Lithrael
Graduate Poster

Coincidentally I just backed into a black guy’s car. I was deeply relieved it only hurt his car’s bumper’s clearcoat cause he was driving a nice beemer and was a total gentleman about it. What is wrong with some people?

Btw that is an actual example of ‘virtue signaling,’ for those of you that like to harp on about people doing it.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 06:52 AM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

What's the over/under on her being a registered Democrat?

On the one hand, she's obviously racist. That argues for her being a Trump-voting crypto-nazi YEC.

On the other hand, she's a female American middle school teacher. So who knows?

Last edited by theprestige; 12th October 2019 at 06:54 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 07:30 AM   #5
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
White woman in Upper Darby? Honestly it’s 50/50, perhaps with an edge to the GOP the longer she has lived there.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 07:45 AM   #6
Whip
Graduate Poster

wow she has a lot of anger. Parent was a smooth dude.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 07:45 AM   #7
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

On the one hand, she's obviously racist. That argues for her being a Trump-voting crypto-nazi YEC.

bluesjnr's rule!

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 08:20 AM   #8
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Don't forget her classism.
Racism and class-warfare are sides of a coin.

“We can convince you that the oppressed class are criminal grifters, but not your oppressed class. You’re the good little workers, not those bad workers,”

The lady is a racist **** in any case.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 08:43 AM   #9
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
bluesjnr's rule! : p
Just saying what everybody was thinking anyway.

Quote:
(If you're typing "sorry" before you hit submit, then the civil thing to do is not hit submit. Also the rational thing to do, if you think about it.)
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 08:52 AM   #10
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Just saying what everybody was thinking anyway.

(If you're typing "sorry" before you hit submit, then the civil thing to do is not hit submit. Also the rational thing to do, if you think about it.)
I meant "sorry" for teasing you a little! Are you really this serious all the time? Is it your viewpoint that the forum would be a better place if no one ever joked?
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 11:25 AM   #11
plague311
Great minds think...

I meant "sorry" for teasing you a little! Are you really this serious all the time? Is it your viewpoint that the forum would be a better place if no one ever joked?
I thought it was hilarious.

On the flip, this lady can be politically aligned any which way and it wouldn't rationalize being a complete and total douche.

Do black people run into others more often?

Anyway, the guy did the right thing. This woman sucks.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 12:36 PM   #12
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Freaky video.

Not sure which is weirder with the woman.

The fact she is total racist scum, or that she thinks she fix a dent in her car by rubbing it lots
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 12:40 PM   #13
Cain
Straussian

I was running late for a first-date at Starbucks, and slipped into a parking space before a Mercedes-Benz (there were plenty of spots). I put on my coat when a well-dressed Black man emerged from the other car. I called out, "Did I just steal your parking space?"
"You did."
"I"m sorry about that."
"It's OK, brother."

******* white people.
Old 12th October 2019, 12:42 PM   #14
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Reading these type of threads, also think it is quite humorous given US history that people think racism is now automatically confined to one of the two main political party's.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 01:42 PM   #15
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

To me, this is the very definition of racism: Assume that a random stranger you have just encountered embodies the worst traits you associate with that person's race.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2019, 07:33 AM   #16
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
Coincidentally I just backed into a black guy’s car. I was deeply relieved it only hurt his car’s bumper’s clearcoat cause he was driving a nice beemer and was a total gentleman about it. What is wrong with some people?

Btw that is an actual example of ‘virtue signaling,’ for those of you that like to harp on about people doing it.
Speaking of which, what is the topic for discussion here?
Old 14th October 2019, 07:55 AM   #17
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
To me, this is the very definition of racism: Assume that a random stranger you have just encountered embodies the worst traits you associate with that person's race.
A truth that should be obvious to all but the Swiss, who are brimming in iniquity most vile.
Old 14th October 2019, 09:31 AM   #18
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Bluesjnrs rule - Thread Trumped!
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2019, 09:32 AM   #19
bluesjnr

bluesjnr's rule!

Ninja'd! Well done!
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2019, 09:37 AM   #20
bluesjnr

Thank goodness that vox pop, Ursula Willis was on hand to give us a (slightly) balanced background on the teacher.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events