ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th October 2019, 05:40 PM   #1
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Key witness in Guyger murder trial gunned down

Days after Amber Guyger was found guilty and sentenced to prison for the murder of Botham Jean, Jean's neighbor and key prosecution witness in that trial, Joshua Brown, was found in the parking lot of his apartment complex having suffered multiple gunshot wounds, after witnesses heard gunshots and noted a vehicle exiting the lot and fleeing at high speed. Brown died at the hospital soon after he was transported by emergency services.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 05:48 PM   #2
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Days after Amber Guyger was found guilty and sentenced to prison for the murder of Botham Jean, Jean's neighbor and key prosecution witness in that trial, Joshua Brown, was found in the parking lot of his apartment complex having suffered multiple gunshot wounds, after witnesses heard gunshots and noted a vehicle exiting the lot and fleeing at high speed. Brown died at the hospital soon after he was transported by emergency services.
If this is a coincidence it certainly is a weird one.
Old 5th October 2019, 05:57 PM   #3
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't notice the trail was even on until it was over. Just how "key" was Brown's testimony?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 06:28 PM   #4
Thermal
Philosopher

No he wasn't
Old 5th October 2019, 06:28 PM   #5
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I didn't notice the trail was even on until it was over. Just how "key" was Brown's testimony?
He was the most proximal first-hand witness to Guyger's actions and utterings immediately after the shooting, prior to the arrival of police.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 06:39 PM   #6
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Kind of screams a bit too coincidental
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 06:44 PM   #7
Bob001
Philosopher

From the link:
Quote:
Brown testified that he met Jean the day he was killed. He said he was down the hall from his apartment when he heard the voices of two people who sounded like they were meeting by “surprise.” The gunshots followed “right after,” he said.

Soon after, from his apartment balcony, Brown said he saw Guyger come out to the hallway from Jean’s apartment on the phone. She was “crying, explaining what happened, what she thought happened, saying she came in to the wrong apartment,” he said.

Through his peep hole, Brown said he also saw the former officer “going back, back and forth on the phone.”

“And then, I think she went back inside, then came back out,” said Brown, who lived across the hallway from Jean.
https://pix11.com/2019/10/05/joshua-...ath-in-dallas/

Sounds pretty key to me.

And here he is:
https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/cr...3-366898588010

Last edited by Bob001; 5th October 2019 at 06:46 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 06:49 PM   #8
Hungry81
Master Poster

What level, and was he in his own parking space?
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 07:03 PM   #9
Thermal
Philosopher

Did this guy give any significant testimony? Nothing I see in the link is any different from what Guyger herself testified. Seems unnecessary to kill him in retaliation. Before the trial might have make sense.

Is this just a case of bad neighborhood?
Old 5th October 2019, 07:06 PM   #10
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Drug deal gone bad? Dealers don't want buyers to know where they live-"meet me in parking lot at..."?

Jean had pot, Brown was a friend of Jean's....
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 07:07 PM   #11
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Did this guy give any significant testimony? Nothing I see in the link is any different from what Guyger herself testified. Seems unnecessary to kill him in retaliation. Before the trial might have make sense.

Is this just a case of bad neighborhood?
While I agree with the logic, revenge can be a nasty thing.

Probably never know
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 07:08 PM   #12
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Drug deal gone bad? Dealers don't want buyers to know where they live-"meet me in parking lot at..."?

Cop who shot him was a customer who was angry he didn't have her fix?

This could go deep

Old 5th October 2019, 07:12 PM   #13
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I'd be checking where off-duty cops were.
Old 5th October 2019, 07:19 PM   #14
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

No he wasn't. Read the OP link or read post #7.
Old 5th October 2019, 08:11 PM   #15
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I hope they find out who did it. This is an important social issue:
Someone angry Guyger didn't get off.
Someone angry Guyger only got 10 years.
Or unrelated shooting (always bad).
Old 5th October 2019, 08:12 PM   #16
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I hope they find out who did it. This is an important social issue:
Someone angry Guyger didn't get off.
Someone angry Guyger only got 10 years.
Or unrelated shooting (always bad).
I am thinking we can fit one involving Trump some where

Old 5th October 2019, 08:28 PM   #17
This is The End

This is the single biggest boost ACAB has had in the history of the US, even if the police had nothing to do with this murder.

This story is being ran with in every direction imaginable.
Old 6th October 2019, 06:32 AM   #18
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I'd be checking where off-duty cops were.
So would I.

Keep in mind, Dallas police have a relatively good reputation among US police forces, so I'm not going to just say it was revenge for his testimony.

However, it's easy to find people saying exactly this. Best to be as thorough as you can in cases like these, particularly since that's the only known motive at this time. Wasn't Guyger having an affair at the time? I'd look particularly close at that guy.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 08:16 AM   #19
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Until yesterday I didn't know that he wore a printed graphic t shirt on the witness stand at the trial. My reaction is to think that that is unconventional and disrespectful.

I also see neck tattoos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (32.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 6th October 2019, 09:32 AM   #20
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Until yesterday I didn't know that he wore a printed graphic t shirt on the witness stand at the trial. My reaction is to think that that is unconventional and disrespectful.

I also see neck tattoos.
I most respectfully disagree. He is not unconventional and disrespectful. He is goddamned stupid.

I got $20 that says nitwit here was killed for being stupid in a matter unrelated to Guyger or the trial.
Old 6th October 2019, 09:35 AM   #21
This is The End

I also see neck tattoos.

Could you possibly post something more bigoted and judgmental?

The current Republican news talking point is related to exactly that. That this young man wore a t-shirt that says Dragon Balls. I would guess that a decent percentage of them know that it really doesn't say that, but they want to push that theory to the remaining baby boomers.
Old 6th October 2019, 09:37 AM   #22
This is The End

He is not unconventional and disrespectful. He is goddamned stupid.

Are you basing that on anything besides racism?

You admitted yesterday in your second post in this thread of having no knowledge about this trial. So what exactly have you learned since then that makes this young man "goddamned stupid"?? (Aside from his picture, of course.)
Old 6th October 2019, 10:34 AM   #23
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

I think the implication is the young man was a gang member. I don't know if he was, but who goes to court wearing a tee shirt? Answer: nowadays it doesn't surprise me. Most people -- besides the lawyers -- don't wear business clothes anymore when they appear in court. I've been on a jury three times and I wore casual wear each time.

The neck tattoo? That would certainly not be considered unusual in the New York area. The tee shirt looks like it reads Dragon Ball Z. Wiki says Dragon Ball Z is an animated Japanese martial arts film series. If I had to guess, I'd say the young man looks like a gamer to me.

By the way, he cried on the witness stand while testifying.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 10:49 AM   #24
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
The current Republican news talking point is related to exactly that. That this young man wore a t-shirt that says Dragon Balls.
No, it says DragonBallZ, a cartoon franchise.
Old 6th October 2019, 11:00 AM   #25
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Why would anybody want to gun down someone who supports Draconian Bills?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 11:31 AM   #26
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

That was his point.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 11:51 AM   #27
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Can't tell if you mean to be correcting him or making his point explicit, but I'm pretty sure he knows that.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 12:02 PM   #28
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
Are you basing that on anything besides racism?
Why yes. Yes I am. With the little I know about him, I provisionally assume that based on my experience with people who get neck tatts and/or think it's appropriate to wear cartoon t-shirts at a murder trial, this cat is not what we'd call the sharpest tool in the shed. While his being black is evidently important to you, it means little to me.

Quote:
You admitted yesterday in your second post in this thread of having no knowledge about this trial. So what exactly have you learned since then that makes this young man "goddamned stupid"?? (Aside from his picture, of course.)
If you think I 'admitted' to having no knowledge of the trial, I could provisionally assume the same of you. I have been somewhat vocal on the main Guyger thread for a solid year now. What you foolishly assume is ignorance in fact results from familiarity with Guygers testimony. Brown added nothing that she didn't cop to herself.
Old 6th October 2019, 12:03 PM   #29
Venom
Illuminator

In the darkest pit in the back of my mind I think false-flag op by someone disgruntled by the results of the case.

But it could just as easily be a coincidence, even more likely.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 12:27 PM   #30
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
In the darkest pit in the back of my mind I think false-flag op by someone disgruntled by the results of the case.

But it could just as easily be a coincidence, even more likely.
In order to be a false-flag op don't you have to have a flag?
Old 6th October 2019, 12:39 PM   #31
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
In order to be a false-flag op don't you have to have a flag?
Possibly.

The colloquial usage among CT circles kind of muddles that, but such a setup would seek to frame the police or their associates, at least in the court of public opinion.

But again, I think it's unlikely.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 12:40 PM   #32
wasapi
Philosopher

If I read correctly, he was shot multiple times in his mouth. It seems significant.
Old 6th October 2019, 12:46 PM   #33
Thermal
Philosopher

Once in the mouth, several in the chest. Mouth could easily have been a general head shot, because great accuracy in a quick ambushing is hella hard
Old 6th October 2019, 03:02 PM   #34
mgidm86
Philosopher

I most respectfully disagree. He is not unconventional and disrespectful. He is goddamned stupid.

I got $20 that says nitwit here was killed for being stupid in a matter unrelated to Guyger or the trial.

Me too. Police retaliation like this - maybe in the movies. Shooting him before the trial might have been the proper way to do it. After? Not so much.
Old 6th October 2019, 03:41 PM   #35
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Me too. Police retaliation like this - maybe in the movies. Shooting him before the trial might have been the proper way to do it. After? Not so much.
Unless of course, someone is planning a retrial.

* novaphile tips his hat to the Conspiracy Theorists out there...
Old 6th October 2019, 03:53 PM   #36
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I think the implication is the young man was a gang member. I don't know if he was, but who goes to court wearing a tee shirt? Answer: nowadays it doesn't surprise me. Most people -- besides the lawyers -- don't wear business clothes anymore when they appear in court. I've been on a jury three times and I wore casual wear each time.
Lawyers, officials, and if possible the defendant. As for witnesses and jurors - particularly jurors on multi-day trials - people often show up in casual wear.

Quote:
The neck tattoo? That would certainly not be considered unusual in the New York area. The tee shirt looks like it reads Dragon Ball Z. Wiki says Dragon Ball Z is an animated Japanese martial arts film series. If I had to guess, I'd say the young man looks like a gamer to me.
It's actually an extremely popular anime, despite largely consisting of people standing around and yelling, or standing and gawking at the guy that's standing there yelling - you may recognize a few of the characters from the old "IT"S OVER NINE THOUSAAAND!!!" meme from a few years back.

As for any neck tattoo, unless you can ID it, it's more or less worthless. Well, unless you're the type of person that thinks that a black guy wearing anything other than rags and slave chains is necessarily violent and thuggish, that is - and we do have a few such people on this board - I've noticed more than one name that I added to my ignore list years ago for that exact reason.

*Could* he have a bad past that caught up to him? Sure. Could it be a cop that decided to extract revenge? Sure, we've seen it before. Could it be completely random? Well, again, sure. Best let an independent group investigate and hope they get to the bottom of it.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 04:06 PM   #37
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I also see neck tattoos.
Respect is earned. The system is against him and can GAGF. Neck tattoos? OMG!
Old 6th October 2019, 04:21 PM   #38
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Once in the mouth, several in the chest. Mouth could easily have been a general head shot, because great accuracy in a quick ambushing is hella hard
Chinese whispers apparently. No head/mouth shoots

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/10/06/...ot-mouth-head/

"In a news release Sunday, police said Brown was found with multiple gunshot wounds to his lower body. Judge Clay Jenkins also tweeted that Brown was not shot in the mouth or head.

“Dallas County, the City of Dallas and others will work to ensure a transparent and thorough investigation of the murder of Joshua Brown. Mr. Brown was not shot in the mouth or head but was shot more than one time. Many career professionals are hard at work on this case,” Jenkins said."

Old 6th October 2019, 07:57 PM   #39
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

My default position currently is execution by cop for revenge or payback.
Old 6th October 2019, 08:03 PM   #40
Venom
Illuminator

Like any good CTist, I will adamantly cling to the shot in the mouth scenario til the detectives investigating this case grow old and die.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events