ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd September 2016, 03:05 PM   #601
deadrose
Illuminator

Turner was released from jail this morning, after serving half of his sentence. What a joke.
deadrose is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2016, 05:30 AM   #602
Megalodon
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
No, they are being given better tools to pinpoint and identify what's wrong, and act on it.

Kid has a fever, more later.
Ended up not returning to the thread, but this article about Kenya's rape prevention program made me think about it.

From the article:
Quote:
Researchers used Kenya's scenario to test the two methods. One group of women received the No Means No training while the other took a life-skills class. Girls who received the No Means No training saw a nearly 40% decrease in rapes in the year following the program. Girls who took the life-skills offering were raped at the same rate.

Not only is teaching women how to avoid "high-risk" situations ineffective, but it shifts the blame to the victim for being raped instead of putting it on the rapist for actually committing the crime.

Megalodon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2016, 10:50 AM   #603
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Ended up not returning to the thread, but this article about Kenya's rape prevention program made me think about it.

From the article:
The results are great, but the characterization is wrong.

"In 2010, the group No Means No Worldwide began offering self-defense classes to Nairobi schoolgirls, teaching them how to fight back against rape."

This is what the effective program taught. It is identical to the "avoiding dangerous situations" in the way it gives agency to the women. Neither course of action is "blaming the victim."

I support programs shown to have better results. I do not support the misleading descriptions and propaganda used to justify one program over another. Reducing rape, by any means, ought to be a sufficient reason.

Last edited by marplots; 5th September 2016 at 10:51 AM.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2016, 11:33 AM   #604
Megalodon
Illuminator

The discussion here was about how useful the well intended advices were. They weren't.

Megalodon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2016, 11:44 AM   #605
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

The discussion here was about how useful the well intended advices were. They weren't.
New well-intended advice, based on that article: "Take a self-defense course."
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2016, 12:37 PM   #606
Megalodon
Illuminator

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
New well-intended advice, based on that article: "Take a self-defense course."
And have a companion program teaching boys about rape...

Old 6th September 2016, 02:35 PM   #607
crescent
Illuminator

The Armed Protests Outside Brock Turner’s Home Are Dangerously Counterproductive

Quote:
When Turner returned to his house in Sugarcreek Township, Ohio—home of the parents who said he was just a “shy and awkward” teen looking to fit in and who worried that he’d lost his appetite for steak after his arrest—more unfriendly demonstrators awaited him. Their signs read “Castrate all rapists!” and “If I rape Brock Turner, will I only do 3 months?” Someone had chalked “shoot your local rapist” on the sidewalk. As if to bring credence to that threat, some of the protestors outside the Turner home carried assault weapons slung across their chests.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2016, 04:31 PM   #608
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
You know, I do hate this sort of invasive mob justice that's become so hip again over the last however-many years, and I've posted about that before. And I stand by my statements.

BUT, like all humans, I am sporadically a massive hypocrite/walking contradiction/whatever else you like. As a result, when I read the excerpt posted above, my brain immediately shouted, "Awwww, really? They're scaring him and making him feel bad? He thought his biggest concern was going to be losing his taste for steak () and now a bunch of hostile strangers are yelling at him about rape? The poor dear! He shouldn't have to put up with anything of the sort. Hostile strangers are the worst. Especially when they crawl on top of your passed-out form and clumsily shove **** into your body-holes, because I guess college boys are somehow even WORSE at fingering when their partner isn't conscious to say 'OW! What are you DOING? That was a PINE CONE, you idiot! Clip your freaking nails and stop treating my intimate passages like a pipe you're trying to strip the rust from.'" (Yeah, I ended that with a preposition! I'm off the chain tonight.)

I concede - what the mob is doing isn't right, but also, I mean seriously, **** this kid. I don't care. I don't care if he's upset. He should be upset. Apparently, that's what it takes to get through to him and his undoubtedly awful sires. It's completely irrelevant if the girl made bad decisions. If a girl did the same sort of thing to a passed-out guy she'd been talking to, I'd consider her a borderline-sociopathic piece of **** who doesn't understand or respect boundaries, autonomy, and other peoples' agencies. This isn't a gender thing for me. This is just a creepy story about a creepy kid whose parents bought him a bunch of toys and never bothered teaching him one iota of anything humanistically or societelly valuable. It happens a LOT. This time, it boiled over.

The judge is the one I'd really like to question with regards to his reasoning here. The lenient nature of the slap-on-the-wrist he doled out to the little swimmer champ was so over-the-top, I find myself surmising he had to have been either bribed handsomely, OR so filled with indignation over the existence of sluts who consume spirits and then expect to make it home without foreign objects in their bodies that he just decided to take a stand once and for all, like Network-style. "I'm mad as hell, and I'm NOT gonna take it anymore! AHHHHHHHH, HUSSIES!!!!!!!!! JUSTICE IS SHOWING THEM THEIR RIGHTS BECOME A JOKE THE MOMENT THEY MAKE ANY DECISION THAT COULD LATER BE CONSIDERED FOOLISH! Anyone who drinks for fun deserves urinary tract infections from the filthy ground as just the beginning! No consequence is too great for moralistic tut-tutting to have no place, after all!"

The girl might be a huge A hole. She might be stupid, or an alcoholic, or have halitosis, or not know how to merge properly in crucial traffic. Or she might be a purebred Pollyanna who acted naively and had a horrible night. None of those things are relevant in the least. People have rights, even awful people. Even "dumb" people who are screwing up.

This young man's conscience is clearly severely underdeveloped - he does not grasp that simple concept at all. And the coddling apologetics of his parents combined with that actual joke of a sentence (handed down by a supposedly impartial legal entity, no less) are not going to do anything to help him grasp it going forward. Any dim chance of him wising up and turning into a more decent, compassionate individual with time is effectively clobbered by such a cossetted, almost solipsistic environment of shielding.

So, it seems to me (nasty, nasty old me), that the silver lining of these fools wasting their time passionately harassing strangers is this - maybe they're the first obstacle in this whole mess that have made any kind of sobering impact on the little twat. Maybe he needs a few sleepless nights, pondering his fate, examining the actions that led him here. I'm sure the object of his brambly, unwanted "affections" has had a few of those.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2016, 04:36 PM   #609
Jules Galen
Banned

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
Turner was released from jail this morning, after serving half of his sentence. What a joke.
Yeah, but I don't think he'll be raping again. So...problem solved (as far as he goes).
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2016, 04:57 PM   #610
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
Yeah, but I don't think he'll be raping again. So...problem solved (as far as he goes).
I'd be shocked if he were able to return to quite the same... er, prowess, as he seemed to exhibit prior to the incident after all this sinister scandal. If he can't get it up for a few years, I sure won't lose any sleep.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2016, 04:43 AM   #611
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

I confess I haven't paid super close attention to this case, so if someone here HAS done so and is able to school me after what I'm about to say, by all means please go for it.

What I have seen and heard looks like a low-fact, high-emotion SJW/feminist hysterical lynch mob thing of the type that has become so common in recent years.

I've seen no compelling evidence that an actual rape even took place here. From what I've heard, this was two drunk idiots stumbling into an alley and starting to consentually fool around, he starts fingering her, she passes out due to excessive and idiotic and irresponsible levels of alcohol consumption during the act, he continues and we don't know if he noticed she'd passed out or not. I don't even believe it's been alleged that he ever used more than his fingers on her.

This is a good video which may help throw some cold water on this raging inferno of emotion: https://youtu.be/JN7_pqgK8V0
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2016, 05:53 AM   #612
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
I confess I haven't paid super close attention to this case, so if someone here HAS done so and is able to school me after what I'm about to say, by all means please go for it.

What I have seen and heard looks like a low-fact, high-emotion SJW/feminist hysterical lynch mob thing of the type that has become so common in recent years.

I've seen no compelling evidence that an actual rape even took place here. From what I've heard, this was two drunk idiots stumbling into an alley and starting to consentually fool around, he starts fingering her, she passes out due to excessive and idiotic and irresponsible levels of alcohol consumption during the act, he continues and we don't know if he noticed she'd passed out or not. I don't even believe it's been alleged that he ever used more than his fingers on her.

This is a good video which may help throw some cold water on this raging inferno of emotion: https://youtu.be/JN7_pqgK8V0
Your account doesn't contradict any known facts, but it does call for some speculation.

Another account that does not contradict any known facts would be that the two departed the party and that she passed out, at which point he removed her clothing and attempted to engage in sexual intercourse with her despite her being unconscious, but was interrupted and attempted to flee.

There was no rape. He was initially charged with rape, but the charge was dropped. He was convicted of assault with intent to rape.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2016, 08:16 PM   #613
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Your account doesn't contradict any known facts, but it does call for some speculation.

Another account that does not contradict any known facts would be that the two departed the party and that she passed out, at which point he removed her clothing and attempted to engage in sexual intercourse with her despite her being unconscious, but was interrupted and attempted to flee.

There was no rape. He was initially charged with rape, but the charge was dropped. He was convicted of assault with intent to rape.
Another account that still doesn't contradict the known facts is Brock saw her leave the party and decide to follow her looking for an opportunity for some action.
Old 11th September 2016, 08:27 PM   #614
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
He ran when he was spotted. That's compelling evidence that he knew he was doing something seriously wrong. And sodomy vs. rape is a technical distinction, not a moral one.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2016, 01:22 AM   #615
eirik
Muse

I just re-thought this case a bit. I mean, yeah...the woman got raped and what the guy did was wrong and he needs to be punished for it. However, the young lady who got raped sounds like quite the idiot too....and she was asking for it.

All young women - especially a 22-year-old-woman - know it's dangerous to get black-out drunk among a group of young Horn-Toads they don't even know. I mean, this is just asking for rape...and this woman either knew it, or was too delusional to know it. Anyways...she got raped and maybe this will help her grow the hell up and quit getting drunk in public - and maybe it will be a lesson for a lot of other young, stupid girls who get drunk in public.

Listen...many guys have no respect for girls who willingly get drunk in public and they consider them dirty, filthy sluts. I know I do and there is no way I would ever run to the protection of such a drunken woman. Seriously, I got better things to do with my life than to fight off the rapists that she invited by her behavior. Hey...if I go to combat and get my arse beat on for protecting a woman, it's going to be for a woman that really "wasn't asking for it".
Where do you live, Jules? I'm curious exactly where this line of thinking is considered a legitimate argument.
Old 13th October 2016, 01:54 AM   #616
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by eirik View Post
Where do you live, Jules? I'm curious exactly where this line of thinking is considered a legitimate argument.
What he said.

If I might add a supplementary question, how do you feel, Jules, about men who get willingly drunk in public?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2016, 04:10 AM   #617
catsmate
No longer the 1

I just re-thought this case a bit. I mean, yeah...the woman got raped and what the guy did was wrong and he needs to be punished for it. However, the young lady who got raped sounds like quite the idiot too....and she was asking for it.

All young women - especially a 22-year-old-woman - know it's dangerous to get black-out drunk among a group of young Horn-Toads they don't even know. I mean, this is just asking for rape...and this woman either knew it, or was too delusional to know it. Anyways...she got raped and maybe this will help her grow the hell up and quit getting drunk in public - and maybe it will be a lesson for a lot of other young, stupid girls who get drunk in public.

Listen...many guys have no respect for girls who willingly get drunk in public and they consider them dirty, filthy sluts. I know I do and there is no way I would ever run to the protection of such a drunken woman. Seriously, I got better things to do with my life than to fight off the rapists that she invited by her behavior. Hey...if I go to combat and get my arse beat on for protecting a woman, it's going to be for a woman that really "wasn't asking for it".
Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 12
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.

Last edited by kmortis; 14th October 2016 at 08:35 AM.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2016, 04:25 AM   #618
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 12
Edited by kmortis:  Removed response to previously moderated content

Last edited by kmortis; 14th October 2016 at 08:36 AM.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2016, 10:56 AM   #619
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
What he said.

If I might add a supplementary question, how do you feel, Jules, about men who get willingly drunk in public?

Why do I have this suspicion that that is somehow different.

You know, for ... reasons.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2017, 10:53 PM   #620
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but I thought people might like to know that, despite only serving half of the sentence, Brock Turner has now received what is, in my opinion, an extremely satisfying punishment.

He is being featured in a new Criminology textbook as a classic example of a rapist. The caption under the photo of him reads:

Quote:
Brock Turner, a Stanford student who raped and assaulted an unconscious female college student behind a dumpster at a fraternity party, was recently released from jail after serving only three months. Some are shocked at how short this sentence is. Others who are more familiar with the way sexual violence has been handled in the criminal justice system are shocked that he was found guilty and served any time at all. What do you think?
The authors of the textbook plan to further update the language to clarify how what Turner did met the standards for rape according to the FBI, but only met the standards for felony sexual assault according to the California penal code of the time, calling out not only Turner for his actions, but also the judicial system which appeared to do everything it could to avoid charging him with rape in California.

He will never be able to escape this now. He may not have served a decent jail sentence for his crime, but he has been immortalized in print as a rapist, and he will never be able to escape the stigma. Couldn't happen to a more deserving rapist, in my opinion.

ETA: Found out about this here: https://www.buzzfeed.com/morganshana...BD#.wy45EJYb1e

Last edited by Sabrina; 16th September 2017 at 10:55 PM.
Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2017, 10:28 AM   #621
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Thanks for the update.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2017, 10:34 AM   #622
sadhatter
Philosopher

And have a companion program teaching boys about rape...
That will make people feel better, but seriously no one who is of the mind raping is okay is going to see a video or talk and change their minds.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2017, 10:56 AM   #623
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
The authors of the textbook plan to further update the language to clarify how what Turner did met the standards for rape according to the FBI, but only met the standards for felony sexual assault according to the California penal code of the time, calling out not only Turner for his actions, but also the judicial system which appeared to do everything it could to avoid charging him with rape in California.
This is incoherent. If his actions didn't meet the statutory definition of rape under California law, then the judicial system isn't supposed to charge him with rape. If you think he should be charged with rape, then the legislature, not the judicial system, needs to change the statutory definition. And even then, they cannot change the law to retroactively change his crime.

If the authors are actually confused about that, they have no business writing about anything related to law. And if they understand that but still wrote it (assuming your representation is correct), they have no business writing any educational material on any subject.

Quote:
He will never be able to escape this now. He may not have served a decent jail sentence for his crime, but he has been immortalized in print as a rapist, and he will never be able to escape the stigma. Couldn't happen to a more deserving rapist, in my opinion.
I've got no problem with that.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2017, 12:30 AM   #624
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Before people go off on flights of fancy take the time to read the textbook page (reproduced at the buzz feed link above).
Old 3rd December 2017, 10:16 AM   #625
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Look who's appealing!

He's not appealing his sentence, but his conviction, which runs the risk of a second conviction. Sadly that would mean the victim has to go through cross-examination again.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 04:16 PM   #626
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Look who's appealing!

He's not appealing his sentence, but his conviction, which runs the risk of a second conviction. Sadly that would mean the victim has to go through cross-examination again.
It also means that if he is convicted again, he would be sentenced again, probably to much more time than he has already served. It's astonishing that he doesn't understand how lucky he was the last time.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 04:54 PM   #627
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I cannot actually manage to articulate just how horrific I find the "prison rape=justice" meme.
I was an educator and a believer in justice at that time and now. 6 months was slimey and no punishment at all. The judge should have been removed from the bench. And, believe me that is my low level preference.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 04:58 PM   #628
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I am very happy to hear about them - and after that, about his case being used in a textbook!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 05:01 PM   #629
fuelair
Banned

Look who's appealing!

I do so hope so. (response to my adjustment to the second para above!)!
Not the second sentence though.
Old 3rd December 2017, 05:05 PM   #630
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by eirik View Post
I am too. There are people I would happily remove from existence. I never blame the victim.
Old 3rd December 2017, 05:11 PM   #631
fuelair
Banned

Someone edited the letter written by the father to highlight the misogyny and ignorance shown therein. This, I think, showcases brilliantly just how ignorant and stupid that letter from Brock Turner's dad was.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CkPYHMHUUAApN-q.jpg:large
Awwwww, poor widdle misunderstood wapist!!!!!!!
Old 3rd December 2017, 09:23 PM   #632
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
It also means that if he is convicted again, he would be sentenced again, probably to much more time than he has already served. It's astonishing that he doesn't understand how lucky he was the last time.
I have to wonder what the lawyer is thinking. They put a 170 page appeal out and 60 pages of it are devoted to how drunk the victim was....as if her testimony was crucial to his conviction. Their appeal seems to hinge on the DA saying the rape was behind a dumpster when actually it was in some shed that normally holds a dumpster.

I have my doubts this will get to a new trial. Honestly I think he just wants to punish the victim more by having her on the stand again. As harsh as it will be for her to go through it again she’s a veteran on the stand now and I doubt it will be as hard to get through.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 10:32 PM   #633
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Sadly that would mean the victim has to go through cross-examination again.
Wouldn't this only happen is the conviction was quashed? From the facts of the case that seems rather unlikely.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 08:15 AM   #634
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Wouldn't this only happen is the conviction was quashed? From the facts of the case that seems rather unlikely.
Their filing sure seems weak, although IIANAL, so I wonder if the family was forcing to lawyer to do 'something'.

But a retrial would be a new trial. Testimony and all.

Old 4th December 2017, 01:26 PM   #635
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
You know, I do hate this sort of invasive mob justice that's become so hip again over the last however-many years, and I've posted about that before. And I stand by my statements.

BUT, like all humans, I am sporadically a massive hypocrite/walking contradiction/whatever else you like. As a result, when I read the excerpt posted above, my brain immediately shouted, "Awwww, really? They're scaring him and making him feel bad? He thought his biggest concern was going to be losing his taste for steak () and now a bunch of hostile strangers are yelling at him about rape? The poor dear! He shouldn't have to put up with anything of the sort. Hostile strangers are the worst. Especially when they crawl on top of your passed-out form and clumsily shove **** into your body-holes, because I guess college boys are somehow even WORSE at fingering when their partner isn't conscious to say 'OW! What are you DOING? That was a PINE CONE, you idiot! Clip your freaking nails and stop treating my intimate passages like a pipe you're trying to strip the rust from.'" (Yeah, I ended that with a preposition! I'm off the chain tonight.)

I concede - what the mob is doing isn't right, but also, I mean seriously, **** this kid. I don't care. I don't care if he's upset. He should be upset. Apparently, that's what it takes to get through to him and his undoubtedly awful sires. It's completely irrelevant if the girl made bad decisions. If a girl did the same sort of thing to a passed-out guy she'd been talking to, I'd consider her a borderline-sociopathic piece of **** who doesn't understand or respect boundaries, autonomy, and other peoples' agencies. This isn't a gender thing for me. This is just a creepy story about a creepy kid whose parents bought him a bunch of toys and never bothered teaching him one iota of anything humanistically or societelly valuable. It happens a LOT. This time, it boiled over.

The judge is the one I'd really like to question with regards to his reasoning here. The lenient nature of the slap-on-the-wrist he doled out to the little swimmer champ was so over-the-top, I find myself surmising he had to have been either bribed handsomely, OR so filled with indignation over the existence of sluts who consume spirits and then expect to make it home without foreign objects in their bodies that he just decided to take a stand once and for all, like Network-style. "I'm mad as hell, and I'm NOT gonna take it anymore! AHHHHHHHH, HUSSIES!!!!!!!!! JUSTICE IS SHOWING THEM THEIR RIGHTS BECOME A JOKE THE MOMENT THEY MAKE ANY DECISION THAT COULD LATER BE CONSIDERED FOOLISH! Anyone who drinks for fun deserves urinary tract infections from the filthy ground as just the beginning! No consequence is too great for moralistic tut-tutting to have no place, after all!"

The girl might be a huge A hole. She might be stupid, or an alcoholic, or have halitosis, or not know how to merge properly in crucial traffic. Or she might be a purebred Pollyanna who acted naively and had a horrible night. None of those things are relevant in the least. People have rights, even awful people. Even "dumb" people who are screwing up.

This young man's conscience is clearly severely underdeveloped - he does not grasp that simple concept at all. And the coddling apologetics of his parents combined with that actual joke of a sentence (handed down by a supposedly impartial legal entity, no less) are not going to do anything to help him grasp it going forward. Any dim chance of him wising up and turning into a more decent, compassionate individual with time is effectively clobbered by such a cossetted, almost solipsistic environment of shielding.

So, it seems to me (nasty, nasty old me), that the silver lining of these fools wasting their time passionately harassing strangers is this - maybe they're the first obstacle in this whole mess that have made any kind of sobering impact on the little twat. Maybe he needs a few sleepless nights, pondering his fate, examining the actions that led him here. I'm sure the object of his brambly, unwanted "affections" has had a few of those.
That was well said

Someone edited the letter written by the father to highlight the misogyny and ignorance shown therein. This, I think, showcases brilliantly just how ignorant and stupid that letter from Brock Turner's dad was.

I suspect that even the annotated letter is still too generous. The claim that he'd never been violent before seems unlikely. I'd guess that if his father would just have written them off as "high spirits"
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 06:07 PM   #636
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Whenever I see one of these oh poor me things about how a person's life will never be the same, never prosperous and happy go lucky and living his dreams, I have to stop and say "wait a minute." The world is full of people who never got to live their dreams, never got beyond menial work and low income lives on the brink of crisis, but how often do we hear anyone say "oh poor you" to the supermarket checkout clerk or the guy stocking shelves or the waitress or the guy cleaning the urinals. They live. They manage. And no doubt many complain. But why the hell should anyone moan when a person who had much more and threw it away ends up among those who never had more and never threw anything away.

I remember thinking the same thing when people got all teary eyed about Tonya Harding not being able to make zillions of bucks as a skater any more. Oh boo hoo.

I don't think anyone should harass anyone and I still have enough of my old Christian upbringing lurking somewhere to believe that we should not treat bad people as badly as they would treat others, but I'm with Isissxn in being unable to muster up much caring this time around.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 03:39 AM   #637
Arcade22
Philosopher

America is known for its draconian prison sentences but him appealing this increadibly short sentence that's more lenient than he'd even recieve in a country with lenient sentences, like Sweden and many other European states, is really outrageous.

I'm all for procedural correctness but sometimes you just have to take your beating with a little bit of dignity.
Old 5th December 2017, 07:27 AM   #638
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
America is known for its draconian prison sentences but him appealing this increadibly short sentence that's more lenient than he'd even recieve in a country with lenient sentences, like Sweden and many other European states, is really outrageous.

I'm all for procedural correctness but sometimes you just have to take your beating with a little bit of dignity.
He's not appealing the sentence. He's appealing having a criminal record and being listed as a sex offender, probably because daddy hasn't been able to buy a pardon [yet].
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 10:22 AM   #639
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

Professor Dauber's actions

Stanford Professor of Law Michelle Dauber (and friend of the victim's family) implied that defense attorney Scott Greenfield libeled her on twitter, with respect to this case. In the comments section, someone points out that Dauber changed a portion of an email that was supposedly sent to her. Her behavior seems a bit over the top.
Old 5th December 2017, 10:48 AM   #640
Bob001
Philosopher

I have to wonder what the lawyer is thinking. They put a 170 page appeal out and 60 pages of it are devoted to how drunk the victim was....as if her testimony was crucial to his conviction.
I don't understand this guy's legal strategy at all. If she was drunk, she couldn't give consent. By acknowledging that she was drunk (if, in fact, she was) he is supporting the rape charges. The jury at his last trial heard all the evidence and convicted him of three felonies. It's hard to imagine how he could be acquitted at a second trial, even if he gets one.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events