ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th June 2016, 09:29 AM   #81
sylvan8798
Master Poster

I didn't follow the trial - are there stats on BAC for either of them after they were picked up?

- Professional Wastrel
sylvan8798 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2016, 09:30 AM   #82
Matthew Best
Philosopher

From memory he was twice the legal limit, she was three times the legal limit.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2016, 09:32 AM   #83
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
When you're done building and fighting strawmen and are interested in an actual discussion, let us know.
So your proposed legal principles only apply to rape and not other crimes where the perpetrator is unlikely to re-offend? I need to remember you never bother with trying to present a logically consistent framework.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2016, 09:32 AM   #84
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sylvan8798 View Post
I didn't follow the trial - are there stats on BAC for either of them after they were picked up?
I think I saw 0.16 for him and 0.24 for her, but I don't have a source for that handy.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2016, 09:33 AM   #85
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post

Seems like you're actually in agreement, then, that getting black-out drunk at a party surrounded by strangers is a bad idea.
And as frat parties are structured to do this women should expect to be raped if they go to frat parties.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2016, 09:34 AM   #86
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

You don't know that. You are taking one data point and treating it like an absolute. By that logic, anyone who does anything wrong or illegal will do so again and thought, therefore, be locked up.
Yes, if we do not put criminals in prison that would allow them to commit more crimes. That is one reason we have prisons. To keep rapists and murderers and theirs segregated from the rest of society so they don't commit those crimes for a period of time.

Quote:
So can fondling and raping an unconscious person at a drunk party, as horrible as that is. Maybe not in this particular idiot's case, of course. If it was premeditated, then he's more dangerous than the average drunk rapist.
I was talking about this case, where he disrobed her and was only interrupted in his act of violence by passersby. His "20 minutes of action", according to his father.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2016, 09:34 AM   #87
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
But I don't understand how this behavior is getting his sentence reduced. Leniency generally involves admitting guilt. You have to understand what you did is wrong, and why it is wrong. Based on his current words, he doesn't. And if he is lying, why? Wouldn't it be better if he were honest, and admitted his guilt?
The judge just didn't think he did anything that was worthy of punishing an upstanding young rapist that badly.
Old 7th June 2016, 09:36 AM   #88
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And as frat parties are structured to do this women should expect to be raped if they go to frat parties.
Strange. Apparently the two bikers on the way to the frat party who caught Brock and held him for police weren't informed of this purpose.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2016, 09:36 AM   #89
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Don't you ever get tired of building those strawmen? Do you read posts, see that you disagree with them, and then proceed, deliberately, to respond as if they mean something else entirely for kicks, or is there a point to all this? Are you capable of responding to people with whom you disagree in a way that encourages discussion rather than ridicule? Because right now, ridicule is all you'll get.
I was simply applying your standards to other crimes. So if you object to that then you object to the standards you are promoting. OF course rape like this is also one of the crimes one is most likely to re-offend on, but that isn't worth considering.
Old 7th June 2016, 09:38 AM   #90
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Strange. Apparently the two bikers on the way to the frat party who caught Brock and held him for police weren't informed of this purpose.
Hey like GOP presidential candidate Trump says "Maybe some of them are good people".
Old 7th June 2016, 09:40 AM   #91
AdamSK
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Yes, I do. He is a rapist. Given the opportunity he will rape again.
Is that really how you believe people are, generally?

Do you oppose bringing in a rape accuser's past sexual history up in a rape trial? Because that seems inconsistent with your position. "She had casual sex; given the opportunity she will have it again." Or does this rule only apply to rape and not to other behaviors?
AdamSK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2016, 09:42 AM   #92
AdamSK
Graduate Poster

If a female friend of mine was planning to go binge drinking alone at a frat party, I would try to persuade her not to go or to take others with her. Are you saying you would not do the same?
AdamSK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2016, 09:47 AM   #93
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by AdamSK View Post
If a female friend of mine was planning to go binge drinking alone at a frat party, I would try to persuade her not to go or to take others with her. Are you saying you would not do the same?
With that alcohol level that could be a glass or two of punch. Clearly drinking any amount at a frat party and simply going to one is dangerous.
Old 7th June 2016, 09:49 AM   #94
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Do you oppose bringing in a rape accuser's past sexual history up in a rape trial? Because that seems inconsistent with your position. "She had casual sex; given the opportunity she will have it again." Or does this rule only apply to rape and not to other behaviors?
It is rather different when the action is illegal vs a legal action. As a swimmer he swam in the past and is likely to do so again!!!!!!!!
Old 7th June 2016, 09:51 AM   #95
Belz...
Fiend God

I don't think that is the principal goal. I think the principal goal is, as Adam pointed out on page 1, deterrence.
I agree that it's a goal, but I don't know if it's the principal one.

So your proposed legal principles only apply to rape and not other crimes where the perpetrator is unlikely to re-offend? I need to remember you never bother with trying to present a logically consistent framework.
I asked you to tell me when you're done battling strawmen, not build new ones.

I was simply applying your standards to other crimes. So if you object to that then you object to the standards you are promoting. OF course rape like this is also one of the crimes one is most likely to re-offend on, but that isn't worth considering.
Your response had nothing to do with what I posted, as usual, so no, you didn't apply any of my logic or standard, because you either didn't understand it or are deliberately **** posting.

Yes, if we do not put criminals in prison that would allow them to commit more crimes.
Only if they are repeat offenders, but ok.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2016, 09:54 AM   #96
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Hey like GOP presidential candidate Trump says "Maybe some of them are good people".
Which again raises the question: why are liberal institutions like Stanford such hotbeds of misogyny?
Old 7th June 2016, 09:57 AM   #97
AdamSK
Graduate Poster

With that alcohol level that could be a glass or two of punch. Clearly drinking any amount at a frat party and simply going to one is dangerous.
Yes, going to a frat party by yourself is dangerous.
Old 7th June 2016, 10:04 AM   #98
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Only if they are repeat offenders, but ok.
So the first murder is free.
Old 7th June 2016, 10:06 AM   #99
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Which again raises the question: why are liberal institutions like Stanford such hotbeds of misogyny?
Are they hotbeds? Or are they better on average than most of society but just somewhere that you will actually hear the complaints from?
Old 7th June 2016, 10:10 AM   #100
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Generally, no. Rapists, yes.

Quote:
Do you oppose bringing in a rape accuser's past sexual history up in a rape trial?
Generally, yes.

Quote:
Because that seems inconsistent with your position.
It isn't.

Quote:
"She had casual sex; given the opportunity she will have it again."
There was overwhelming evidence at trial that he was having sex with a woman who was completely unconscious. If you call that casual sex then we need to start back at the definitions page.

Quote:
Or does this rule only apply to rape and not to other behaviors?
Rape and other behaviors that show a complete disregard for the agency of others. Torture would be in there, too. Random murders and assault could fall in that category. People who derive joy from treating other people and their bodies as they wish without any consideration for the person whose body it is.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2016, 10:10 AM   #101
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

it wasn't rape rape
Old 7th June 2016, 10:10 AM   #102
Belz...
Fiend God

So the first murder is free.
Your ability to understand simple conversations seems woefully limited. Perhaps you should consider taking some English course in addition to some logic courses.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2016, 10:15 AM   #103
AdamSK
Graduate Poster

Generally, no. Rapists, yes.
And the distinction is because of this "disregard for agency" thing, right? Which you believe represents an endemic and permanent condition of any individual who has exhibited it, and not a temporary state brought on by - for example - being very, very drunk?

A very drunk person fingering an unconscious person is clearly disregarding the victim's agency. Why do you believe that to be an inherent character flaw rather than a temporary (terrible) decision?
Old 7th June 2016, 10:15 AM   #104
Jrrarglblarg

Women should not go to frat parties, that is the message we need to get across to young women. They are the overly dangerous neighborhoods and if they go they need to expect to be raped.
I was a "party pix" photographer in college and saw many different frats and many different frat parties. It was the worst job I've ever had.

Your post does not appear to be written from a perspective of personal knowledge, but personal prejudice. I suggest you edit to preface it with "So," to bring it into compliance with forum writing standards.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2016, 10:17 AM   #105
Navigator
Philosopher

I wonder what his mom thinks about this...

Atheism is not skepticism

Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors. ~ ISF disclaimer
Navigator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2016, 10:17 AM   #106
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Are they hotbeds?
According to you they are, what with their rape parties.
Old 7th June 2016, 10:18 AM   #107
AdamSK
Graduate Poster

Just remember, a first-murder-is-free society is a polite society.
Old 7th June 2016, 10:19 AM   #108
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

He's already proven that he doesn't believe that society's rules apply to him, at least twice now.
It therefore behooves society to remove him from the general population until such a time as he shows that he is fit to abide with the rest of us.
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2016, 10:20 AM   #109
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, going to a frat party by yourself is dangerous.
But apparently, only if you are female.
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2016, 10:22 AM   #110
AdamSK
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
But apparently, only if you are female.
Still dangerous for men. Just less so.
Old 7th June 2016, 10:32 AM   #111
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Because the bike guys were chasing after him.
I would need much more information to comment on whether he was running because he was being chased or whether he ran when the bikers asked what he was doing with a passed out woman behind a dumpster. And if he was running because he thought he might be in danger then words cannot describe how contemptible he is if he thought "those two men look like they are about to attack us - I better run away and leave my unresponsive, undressed parter behind a dumpster - and I won't call out for help even though I think two people are trying to attack my totally-consented sex partner and me."

Quote:
ETA: And if he knows it was wrong, why is he denying it now? He is now claiming she consented, and that it wasn't rape.
There is a potential flaw in that logic. It is at least possible that while he was having sex with her he knew it was wrong, but after talking to lawyers and preparing himself for the witness stand, and repeating his denial of wrong-doing so many times, he has come to believe that he didn't do anything wrong. Thus, now he sincerely thinks he did no wrong, but at the time he knew it was wrong.

I do not have any evidence to prove that what I described has occurred. But we do know that memory is more malleable than we once thought, and we know that after a passage of time some wrong-doers convince themselves that they are innocent.
Old 7th June 2016, 10:57 AM   #112
sylvan8798
Master Poster

If the punch is 100-proof grain alcohol, maybe. But drinking a glass or two of 100-proof grain alcohol is dangerous in and of itself, n'est pas? Do we advise kids not to do that?

- Professional Wastrel
sylvan8798 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2016, 11:06 AM   #113
Belz...
Fiend God

Just remember, a first-murder-is-free society is a polite society.
You do realise that this wasn't what I was talking about at all, right? Relying on Ponderingturtle's posts to understand other poster's points is a very bad policy.

Old 7th June 2016, 11:08 AM   #114
Belz...
Fiend God

If the punch is 100-proof grain alcohol, maybe. But drinking a glass or two of 100-proof grain alcohol is dangerous in and of itself, n'est pas?
*n'est-ce pas.

Quote:
Do we advise kids not to do that?
Wouldn't that be victim-blaming?

Old 7th June 2016, 11:10 AM   #115
AdamSK
Graduate Poster

You do realise that this wasn't what I was talking about at all, right? Relying on Ponderingturtle's posts to understand other poster's points is a very bad policy.
Yes. Joke.
Old 7th June 2016, 11:20 AM   #116
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Your ability to understand simple conversations seems woefully limited. Perhaps you should consider taking some English course in addition to some logic courses.
Why incarcerate them until they have established a pattern of murders so that you can show that society needs to be protected from them? What purpose does it serve just to punish someone for a one off murder?
Old 7th June 2016, 11:22 AM   #117
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

According to you they are, what with their rape parties.
You are the one saying that being drunk is inexcusable so as there is drinking at these parties clearly they are inexcusable.
Old 7th June 2016, 11:25 AM   #118
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

If the punch is 100-proof grain alcohol, maybe. But drinking a glass or two of 100-proof grain alcohol is dangerous in and of itself, n'est pas? Do we advise kids not to do that?
Isn't that the point of drinks like a long island ice tea? To be made with such spirits with out then being as noticeable to the inbidder?
Old 7th June 2016, 11:38 AM   #119
Belz...
Fiend God

Yes. Joke.
You can never be too sure, around these parts.

Why incarcerate them until they have established a pattern of murders so that you can show that society needs to be protected from them? What purpose does it serve just to punish someone for a one off murder?
So long as you're concerned with ridiculous caricatures of other people's positions, you'll never have a conversation with them. How about you instead ask for clarification or, better yet, make your own point?

Old 7th June 2016, 11:43 AM   #120
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

You are the one saying that being drunk is inexcusable
No I didn't.

Really, turtle, this is getting pathetic even for you.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events