ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alex jones , lawsuits , Sandy Hook , shooting conspiracies

Old 9th March 2019, 02:00 PM   #361
JesseCuster
Muse

Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
Clearly, the U.S. Government is not a 100% reliable source of information, so some level of intuition must be involved. Intuition should not be allowed in court.
Um... what?

1. Of course "the US government" is not "a 100% reliable source of information". Is there any person or institution that is 100% reliable? Is there anyone who thinks "the US government" is 100% reliable? (Everyone has to down a shot of their favourite drink if MJ comes back with the witty retort that skeptics act as if they believe that, that's a tiresome conspiracy theory strawman). You're hardly shattering worldviews by pointing out this obvious fact.

2. "The US government" is not a monolithic institution. It is neither reliable nor unreliable. You can't point out the shady history of the CIA and use it as a blanket excuse to dismiss anything any everything that happens to come from some department or spokesperson or whatever of anything to do with the US government. What is required when determining the truth or falsehood (or likelihood or truth or falsehood) of something that comes from the US government simply requires some critical thinking and a nuanced view of how government institutions work, who from what department of the government is saying what, in what context (under oath in a court of law, a throwaway comment in a press conference, etc.) Your ideas appear to have led to simplistic black and white thinking which isn't doing you any favours.

3. If anything that isn't 100% reliable requires intuition and intuition should not be allowed in court, then good luck getting anyone to offer testimony or expert opinion on anything in a court of law. Courts couldn't function if you couldn't allow anything not 100% reliable on the bizarre idea that it requires 'intuition'. edit: Given your earlier comments about how unreliable humans are and therefore shouldn't be on juries judging cases like this, I'm going to guess that either you actually think the court system should be done away with entirely because it relies on pesky humans who aren't 100% reliable or, more likely, you're just throwing out stuff ad hoc without having thought it through at all.

Last edited by JesseCuster; 9th March 2019 at 02:16 PM.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2019, 04:40 PM   #362
Axxman300
Illuminator

The key point in this case is that the US Government was not the lead entity in the investigation. Local and State law enforcement was in charge.
Old 10th March 2019, 02:12 AM   #363
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Intuition should not be allowed in court.
Intuition is not reliable.

It is my personal opinion based on intuition that they are not actors.
Intuition is reliable.

When you've finished explaining this apparent contradiction, MicahJava, perhaps you'd like to address my previous question:

Do you oppose trial by jury?
Old 18th March 2019, 11:20 AM   #364
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

This American Life Episode 670: "Beware the Jabberwock"

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/670...the-jabberwock

All about Alex Jones, including an extended interview with a Sandy Hook parent who is suing Jones and has made it his mission to fight back against the hoaxers.

Second part is about the early life of Alex Jones. Overall very interesting episode.

Sad part was when they were interviewing a man from Texas that knew Jones in high school and knew him to be an elaborate liar and self-aggrandizer, but was unable to make the leap to realizing that he is still a fraud now as an adult. Very frustrating to say the least.
Old 18th March 2019, 04:37 PM   #365
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
This American Life Episode 670: "Beware the Jabberwock"

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/670...the-jabberwock

All about Alex Jones, including an extended interview with a Sandy Hook parent who is suing Jones and has made it his mission to fight back against the hoaxers.

Second part is about the early life of Alex Jones. Overall very interesting episode.

Sad part was when they were interviewing a man from Texas that knew Jones in high school and knew him to be an elaborate liar and self-aggrandizer, but was unable to make the leap to realizing that he is still a fraud now as an adult. Very frustrating to say the least.
I just came here to post that same episode. It is truly horrifying the effect the hoaxers have on the survivors of a national tragedy.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 06:04 PM   #366
Georgio
Muse

10 minutes in and seems very interesting, thanks for the link.

But that awful vocal fry at the end of every sentence the female presenter says! It sounds like she's doing an impression of a frog.
Old 19th March 2019, 08:08 AM   #367
Georgio
Muse

The second part is very interesting, if entirely predictable in that it shows Jones to be a pathological liar and most probably mentally ill with some sort of genuine narcissistic disorder. But that's probably what they want me to think...

Off topic, for those interested, here's the host Jon Ronson playing a wooden-spoon landlord (called 'Mr Ronson') in a sketch by English comedian Harry Hill eight years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVflGpEUNd4
Old 25th March 2019, 08:25 AM   #368
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Sandy Hook father, Jeremy Richman, has killed himself. He was among the families of the slain children that was suing Jones. The InfoWars crowd must be very proud of themselves, badgering and spreading conspiracy theories of the grieving.

https://www.courant.com/breaking-new...hu4-story.html
Old 25th March 2019, 11:19 AM   #369
Georgio
Muse

Sandy Hook father, Jeremy Richman, has killed himself. He was among the families of the slain children that was suing Jones. The InfoWars crowd must be very proud of themselves, badgering and spreading conspiracy theories of the grieving
Don't expect it to stop/slow down because of that. This will be 'proof that he had something to hide' or somesuch. One thing that seems pretty consistent with your average infowars acolyte is a complete lack of empathy. It's pretty much a channel for actual psychopaths; everyone you don't like is 'THEM' and 'THEY' have no feelings/aren't human/are devils and so on.
Old 25th March 2019, 11:26 AM   #370
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

They'll just say he's another vic-sim, and isn't really dead, or never existed, or something. It's how they roll.
Old 25th March 2019, 11:30 AM   #371
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Sandy Hook father, Jeremy Richman, has killed himself. He was among the families of the slain children that was suing Jones. The InfoWars crowd must be very proud of themselves, badgering and spreading conspiracy theories of the grieving.

This is so sad.
Old 26th March 2019, 06:16 AM   #372
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
They'll just say he's another vic-sim, and isn't really dead, or never existed, or something. It's how they roll.
My bet is they say he felt guilty over his lies.

That isn't a falsifiable claim.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 06:48 AM   #373
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
My bet is they say he felt guilty over his lies.

That isn't a falsifiable claim.
More likely they will claim he was a crisis actor getting ready to blow the thing open and got "suicided" by the powerful people running things.
Old 26th March 2019, 04:02 PM   #374
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Alex immediately started spinning conspiracy theories about his suicide because he is a piece of ****.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 05:14 PM   #375
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Alex Jones is such a vile heap of steaming excrement.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone offed him one day - and I wouldn't lose a millisecond's sleep over it.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 06:53 AM   #376
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone offed him one day - and I wouldn't lose a millisecond's sleep over it.
I'd rather have him live to a ripe old age.

In a cardboard box under some railway bridge.
Old 27th March 2019, 07:12 AM   #377
bknight
Graduate Poster

Quit hiding your feelings, how do you really feel about him?
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 07:16 AM   #378
Belz...
Fiend God

You know, at this point I wonder why we don't put people with no empathy in institutions with no internet.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 02:41 PM   #379
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
I'd rather have him live to a ripe old age.

In a cardboard box under some railway bridge.
What do you have against cardboard boxes and railroad bridges?
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 11:35 AM   #380
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I simply don't have words for how vile this is.
NRA Official Sought Sandy Hook Hoaxer To Question Parkland Shooting, Emails Show
Old 29th March 2019, 06:55 PM   #381
EvilBiker
Graduate Poster

Alex Jones deposition videos here.

Quote:
The deposition, which was released publicly on Friday, shows Jones in the hot seat as he attempts to explain his reasoning for spending years falsely claiming that the school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut ― which left 20 children and six adults dead ― was a hoax.

Poor squirming little worm. I love this leader from AV News:

Quote:
This 4-hour Alex Jones deposition video is a near-lethal dose of awkward schadenfreude

Last edited by EvilBiker; 29th March 2019 at 07:15 PM.
EvilBiker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 07:58 PM   #382
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EvilBiker View Post
Alex Jones deposition videos here.

Poor squirming little worm. I love this leader from AV News:
This is more fun than a ferret down your trousers!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 01:51 AM   #383
EvilBiker
Graduate Poster

This is more fun than a ferret down your trousers!
Inorite??

I must admit to viewing a lot of it - I could not get enough of that expression, and the lawyer's questioning.

Lawyer: Did you ever say/meet/threaten X?
Alex Jones: No/not that I recall.
Lawyer: Here's one of your videos where you do that.
Alex Jones: ...

Rinse and repeat.
Old 30th March 2019, 04:06 AM   #384
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EvilBiker View Post
Inorite??

I must admit to viewing a lot of it - I could not get enough of that expression, and the lawyer's questioning.

Lawyer: Did you ever say/meet/threaten X?
Alex Jones: No/not that I recall.
Lawyer: Here's one of your videos where you do that.
Alex Jones: ...

Rinse and repeat.
When he's out of his comfort zone (i.e. not able to hide in his studio) and is having to face instant feedback from those he is talking to, he is utterly all-at-sea.... and a coward.

Schadenfreude was made for occasions like this!
Old 30th March 2019, 07:35 AM   #385
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

But of course, his deposition gets better:

Quote:
Jones: Well, sometimes people claim theyíve been hurt when they havenít been. So you have to look at the agenda behind things. Ö

And I, myself, have almost had like a form of psychosis back in the past where I basically thought everything was staged, even though Iím now learning a lot of times things arenít staged. So I think, as a pundit, someone giving an opinion, that, you know, my opinions have been wrong; but they were never wrong consciously to hurt people.

Mark Bankston (attorney for the plaintiff): You said false things about Sandy Hook because it was psychosis?

See? He was just crazy back then. Not now, of course, I'm sure his making up new conspiracy theories about the same event is perfectly rational!

But of course it wasn't Alex's fault that he was crazy back then (but not now, no!), it was all that lying media's fault!

Quote:
Jones: Well, Iím just saying that the trauma of the media and the corporations lying so much, then everything begins ó you donít trust anything anymore, kind of like a child whose parents lie to them over and over again, well, pretty soon they donít know what reality is.

Poor Alex, dealing with all that trauma of watching the news and then trying to profit off of tragedy. He's the real vicsim here!
Old 30th March 2019, 07:43 AM   #386
Georgio
Muse

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
He's the real vicsim here!
Old 30th March 2019, 08:13 AM   #387
dann
Philosopher

Yes, the poor guy is a victim of fake news:

Quote:
He said it was the "trauma of the media and the corporations lying so much" that caused him to distrust everything, "kind of like a child whose parents lie to them over and over again."
Alex Jones says 'form of psychosis' made him believe events like Sandy Hook massacre were staged (CNN, March 30, 2019)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 08:31 AM   #388
bknight
Graduate Poster

See? He was just crazy back then. Not now, of course, I'm sure his making up new conspiracy theories about the same event is perfectly rational!

But of course it wasn't Alex's fault that he was crazy back then (but not now, no!), it was all that lying media's fault!

Poor Alex, dealing with all that trauma of watching the news and then trying to profit off of tragedy. He's the real vicsim here!
Alex certainly doesn't know the truth, whatever his excuse is.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 08:57 AM   #389
Whip
Graduate Poster

so he doesn't consider himself media? or does he?
I haven't watched but how does he explain his divorce testimony?

Last edited by Whip; 30th March 2019 at 08:59 AM.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 12:24 PM   #390
FFTR
Scholar

All evidence that the Sandy Hook victims are "victims" comes from the U.S. Government, the same government that originated 1967 Operation Northwoods memo, 1990 Nayirah testimony, and the 2003 Bush-Blair Iraq memo. Clearly, the U.S. Government is not a 100% reliable source of information, so some level of intuition must be involved. Intuition should not be allowed in court.
What sources do you consider to be 100% reliable regarding Sandy Hook? I would like to take a look at them.
FFTR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 01:52 PM   #391
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Yes, the poor guy is a victim of fake news:
Jones gives douchebaggery a bad name.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2019, 10:16 PM   #392
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I really hope that Alex Jones will become a cautionary tale for sociopaths seeking to make money by peddling hate.
At least for a while.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 12:33 AM   #393
EHocking
Philosopher

He will be held up as a martyr in this new disTrumpian world we now live in.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 12:38 AM   #394
Georgio
Muse

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
He will be held up as a martyr in this new disTrumpian world we now live in.
^^That. Sadly

Once you reach the level of cult following that Jones has it is literally impossible for you to be in the wrong about anything.
Old 31st March 2019, 08:52 AM   #395
Bob001
Philosopher

Alex Jones admits he's crazy.

Alex Jones tries to beat a law suit by claiming he's crazy.
Quote:
(CNN) Broadcaster and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones said it was a "form of psychosis" that caused him to believe certain events --- like the Sandy Hook massacre -- were staged.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/30/us/al...ook/index.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 09:45 AM   #396
Thermal
Philosopher

Sort of. He claims it was 'almost like a form of psychosis', which is a comparison more than admission. He also claims it arose from the media lying so much he developed an instinctive mistrust.

So he doesn't get self reflection or honesty points just yet. Still in the plausible deniability and weaseling stage, IMO.
Old 31st March 2019, 09:48 AM   #397
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Sort of. He claims it was 'almost like a form of psychosis', which is a comparison more than admission. He also claims it arose from the media lying so much he developed an instinctive mistrust.

So he doesn't get self reflection or honesty points just yet. Still in the plausible deniability and weaseling stage, IMO.
We almost had him.

It's hard to see how he can get out of this.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 09:50 AM   #398
Whip
Graduate Poster

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6#post12650916
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 10:31 AM   #399
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

During his divorce he claimed saying crazy stuff was just a performance. Now it's a form of psychosis. Which is it, Alex?
Old 31st March 2019, 10:35 AM   #400
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

During his divorce he claimed saying crazy stuff was just a performance. Now it's a form of psychosis. Which is it, Alex?
I bet if you tweeted that question to Alex Jones, it would dismantle his whole thing.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events