ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Amber Guyger , Dallas incidents , murder cases , police incidents , police misconduct charges , shooting incidents , Texas cases

Closed Thread
Old 29th August 2019, 08:50 AM   #521
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Going to the wrong door is something I can accept one can do "unconsciously" if you like.

But entering an apartment, and deciding to kill someone and taking several steps to do that - nope I don't think you can do that "unconsciously" (and if someone could they are a clear and literally a deadly danger to society!)
That wasn't the question I asked.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 09:02 AM   #522
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
*should shut themselves. I can walk you down to Penn's Landing and show you self closing doors in condos that notoriously stick. Might have this problem in the South Flats, too
If his door was not functioning correctly it would almost assuredly come out by now.

The part I keep coming back to is that the grand jury had a myriad of charges they could have charged her with and they went with Murder 2. Of course, you always shoot high and then settle lower, but that goes to show something to me.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 09:07 AM   #523
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
If his door was not functioning correctly it would almost assuredly come out by now.
Why? Has the electronic lock information come out? Who would report it? Jean's family or the apartment building, being the only ones presumably with access? Why would they publicly release that?

Quote:
The part I keep coming back to is that the grand jury had a myriad of charges they could have charged her with and they went with Murder 2. Of course, you always shoot high and then settle lower, but that goes to show something to me.
I think murder 2 is exactly what she is guilty of, based on what we know. If you...ahem...cut her more slack, you are of course entitled to that opinion.

Last edited by Thermal; 29th August 2019 at 09:09 AM. Reason: ******* autocorrect
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 09:51 AM   #524
Drewbot
Philosopher

The parties are under a gag order I believe.
If he turned the deadbolt so his door rested open, a simple push would have opened the door.

The lock recorder would probably register this situation as locked.

It's going to come down to evidence of forced entry, or no forced entry.

Another possibility is he opened the door for her and she pushed in, gun drawn, he backing up, and she shot him.

We won't know this until the trial unfortunately.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 09:56 AM   #525
Thermal
Philosopher

And of course, if the early report of knocking and saying 'let me in' has any teeth, the whole mistake of fact and self defense things are thrown out the window. You don't knock on your own door and demand entry where you live alone. I vaguely recall that the witness backpedaled on that report, though?
Old 29th August 2019, 10:04 AM   #526
plague311
Great minds think...

Why? Has the electronic lock information come out? Who would report it? Jean's family or the apartment building, being the only ones presumably with access? Why would they publicly release that?
What would the electric lock information have to do with anything? I am positive that it would have been reported to the building supervisor, unless it was completely unknown to Jean. The doors are spring loaded, meaning there would be nothing that would report the door being opened. It only records the electronic information in the lock, so the only thing that would register is her key being denied. So the lock information would only prove\disprove her claim that she stuck her key in the door.

The part I would be most interested in is the door makes a noise when it's propped open, like a few of the hotels I've stayed in do. If it's just left open then the door dings saying it's open.

I think murder 2 is exactly what she is guilty of, based on what we know. If you...ahem...cut her more slack, you are of course entitled to that opinion.
Yes, we get it. The tragedies you've had to endure are second to none, and I fail to see how you have even managed to survive such relentless attacks. My admiration knows no bounds.

That being said, I still haven't come to an absolute conclusion as to what she should be charged with but I certainly hope they start moving forward sometime soon. I'm extremely interested in the evidence they've collected.

ETA: I was referring to the door being left open.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 29th August 2019 at 11:24 AM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 10:07 AM   #527
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
If he turned the deadbolt so his door rested open, a simple push would have opened the door.
Yes, you've repeatedly stated this while providing absolutely no reasoning behind WHY he would prop his door open.

The lock recorder would probably register this situation as locked.
Anything is possible, but again, Occam's Razor exists for a reason.

It's going to come down to evidence of forced entry, or no forced entry.

Another possibility is he opened the door for her and she pushed in, gun drawn, he backing up, and she shot him.

We won't know this until the trial unfortunately.
True, the available evidence could lead in all sorts of directions.

It could even be that this entire thing was actually pre-meditated. She came home, parked her car on the fourth floor, deliberately walked to his door, knocked until he opened it, shot him and then staged the crime scene.

Old 29th August 2019, 10:19 AM   #528
Thermal
Philosopher

What would the electric lock information have to do with anything? I am positive that it would have been reported to the building supervisor, unless it was completely unknown to Jean. The doors are spring loaded, meaning there would be nothing that would report the door being opened. It only records the electronic information in the lock, so the only thing that would register is her key being denied. So the lock information would only prove\disprove her claim that she stuck her key in the door.
You opined that such mechanical evidence at the crime scene would have been disclosed already. I point out that other mechanical evidence is being withheld, so why make an exception for the hinges?

Plus, the lock records could blow holes in her story, if she didn't try her key in it, so the records might have a hellof a lot to do with everything.

Quote:
The part I would be most interested in is the door makes a noise when it's propped open, like a few of the hotels I've stayed in do. If it's just left open then the door dings saying it's open.
Doubt it, on an apartment or condo, but possible. The people who put out the self closing hinge video surely would have mentioned that?

Quote:
Yes, we get it. The tragedies you've had to endure are second to none, and I fail to see how you have even managed to survive such relentless attacks. My admiration knows no bounds.
I was kidding. Lighten up, gramps

Quote:
That being said, I still haven't come to an absolute conclusion as to what she should be charged with but I certainly hope they start moving forward sometime soon. I'm extremely interested in the evidence they've collected.
I'd be more interested in the jury's interpretation of these barbaric deadly force laws

Last edited by Thermal; 29th August 2019 at 10:21 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 10:27 AM   #529
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That wasn't the question I asked.
Of course it isn't, it's the answer to your question.
Old 29th August 2019, 11:09 AM   #530
Bob001
Philosopher

Are we sure that the electronic locks in this particular building actually record and store usage? I don't think every system does that. The residents of an apartment or condo building might even consider it an invasion of privacy if the management is documenting their comings and goings.

Last edited by Bob001; 29th August 2019 at 11:10 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 11:30 AM   #531
plague311
Great minds think...

You opined that such mechanical evidence at the crime scene would have been disclosed already. I point out that other mechanical evidence is being withheld, so why make an exception for the hinges?
My fault, I was thinking of your reply as to apply to the door being open. I don't think the duration of the door being open would be recording. Possibly though.

Plus, the lock records could blow holes in her story, if she didn't try her key in it, so the records might have a hellof a lot to do with everything.
Yeah, I had alluded to that. I was just thinking with regards to the door being left open.

Doubt it, on an apartment or condo, but possible. The people who put out the self closing hinge video surely would have mentioned that?
You would think so, but maybe if the deadbolt is set to locked it would think it was closed. They look like newer places and at least a little fancy.

I was kidding. Lighten up, gramps
Freshly ordained even.

I'd be more interested in the jury's interpretation of these barbaric deadly force laws
It's Texas...

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Are we sure that the electronic locks in this particular building actually record and store usage? I don't think every system does that. The residents of an apartment or condo building might even consider it an invasion of privacy if the management is documenting their comings and goings.
I assumed so because the police took them to get information off of them.

To be fair, you would have to take the lock off to get the information from the actual doorlock. All the ones I've worked with anyway.

Last edited by plague311; 29th August 2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 29th August 2019, 11:46 AM   #532
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I recall the exact model of lock being reported last year, but it may not have been on this forum. Going by memory, it passively records without transferring information to the owner, which is why the police had to physically remove it rather than consult apartment electronic records. Also IIRC, it registers as being open unless it hits a magnetic contact in the receiver, so it wouldn't give a false locked reading if it was propped open
Old 29th August 2019, 11:50 AM   #533
Thermal
Philosopher

<respectful snip>

It's Texas....
Therein lies my fear, not to stereotype Texans or anything. How much these guys value shooting people may truly be put to the test with this one.
Old 29th August 2019, 01:30 PM   #534
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Therein lies my fear, not to stereotype Texans or anything. How much these guys and gals value shooting people may truly be put to the test with this one.
You keep mischaracterizing my state and it is embarrassing. I fixed it this time, but I really expect better from you in the future.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 01:34 PM   #535
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
You keep mischaracterizing my state and it is embarrassing. I fixed it this time, but I really expect better from you in the future.
Fair cop. So to speak.
Old 29th August 2019, 03:10 PM   #536
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
The information is far from complete, however, it has been presented that the doors to these apartments shut themselves.
She could still have retreated- but it would have been more difficult to do so without turning around had the door shut behind her.

Is this the same door that (allegedly) wasn't closing properly before she got there?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 29th August 2019 at 03:18 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 03:12 PM   #537
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

One other thing regarding this 'her house's thing. She was not the property owner. She was a leasing tenant. Even if she was in the hall, I think her leasing terms would extend to the hall and other common areas, and castle doctrine would still apply. Surely there would be Texas precedent on that?

<snip>

Would that mean that she could gun down anyone she happened to run across in the hallways with impunity if she decided she felt threatened?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 03:16 PM   #538
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

Do we know for certain that he couldn't just leave his door unlocked? Latched, but not locked? He wasn't living in a hotel room.

Old 29th August 2019, 03:17 PM   #539
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

Same question.

I haven't seen this addressed yet, even in the discussions about the lockset.

Old 29th August 2019, 03:25 PM   #540
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Is this the same door that (allegedly) wasn't closing properly before she got there?
Possibly not latching properly, was the discussion.
As doors of that style sometimes don't. They appear to have closed and locked- yet the lock is not completely engaged and the door can still be opened.
Old 29th August 2019, 04:17 PM   #541
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

And of course, if the early report of knocking and saying 'let me in' has any teeth, the whole mistake of fact and self defense things are thrown out the window. You don't knock on your own door and demand entry where you live alone. I vaguely recall that the witness backpedaled on that report, though?
I think you are talking about "Bunny". She hasn't backpedaled. She has claimed to be getting death threats.

I don't think her testimonial is credible. She says that she began filming only 60 seconds after hearing the gun. But when we see her video it shows a much later scene. But her video doesn't seem to answer any questions about the killing itself and what exactly happened.

The bigger problem for Bunny as a witness is that she was inside an apartment far away from Jean and on a different floor. All the other reported witnesses are closer to Jean and even on his floor and none of those other witnesses report hearing what Bunny heard. The closest witness heard a speaking voice right before gunshots but could not hear what was said (unintelligible due to lack of sound clarity). That guy is like almost right next to Jean on the same floor.
Old 29th August 2019, 04:34 PM   #542
Whip
Graduate Poster

Yes, you've repeatedly stated this while providing absolutely no reasoning behind WHY he would prop his door open.
This brings up an issue no one has mentioned before. If this were true, and you want to play the mistake-o-fact game, this means when she got to the door, she had to think to herself 'hmmmmmm I can't believe I left my door propped open when I left for work'.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 05:10 PM   #543
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Eta: poster Devils Advocate, who I believe is a US attorney(?), states that if mistake of fact is accepted, Guyger can claim self defense in the shooting.
I am not an attorney. I have an interest in law. I just wouldn't want to do it every day as a job.

A lot of posters seem pretty adamant that this Mistake of Fact thing is inapplicable to the shooting. 'IT WASN'T HER HOUSE' in big letters and stuff. You are all wrong. The Dallas Observer interviewed Dallas defense attorney Peter Schulte, former DeSoto cop and Dallas County Prosecutor who states (with what I hope we can agree is authority on the subject) that Mistake of Fact absolutely carries to the shooting and that the verdict will likely be murder or acquittal:

Done and done, unless someone has a more credible surrogate source. Mistake of Fact is extended to the shooting, and doesn't stop at the door. It does matter that she thought it was her house when she chose to shoot him.

Now let's just hope the jury doesn't buy it, and believes that popping off in the dark in an apartment building is a separate reckless crime unto itself, not covered by a self defense claim.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/...o-far-11125724
Schulte is not actually saying that the mistake of fact would, itself, acquit Guyger. He says that if we accept the mistake of fact, then she is covered by the castle law. The actual shooting is not covered by mistake of fact. The actual shooting is covered by the castle law. The mistake of fact does not cover the shooting; it only gets us to the point where the castle law kicks in.

His earlier statement is just jumping to the conclusion: if we accept the mistake of fact, then she gets acquitted. If Guyger gets past the hurdle of the mistake of fact, then she can claim self-defense. If she claims self-defense, she would have to show that she reasonably believed that deadly force was immediately necessary. Under the castle law, a belief that deadly force is immediately necessary is presumed. It is automatic. Therefore, if Guyger gets past the hurdle of the mistake of fact, the rest is given, so she gets an acquittal. (At least in regards to a murder conviction. Criminally negligent homicide could still be on the table.)

However, as I have said before, I disagree that the castle law applies here because the language of the castle law in Texas says that it applies if the person believes that a person unlawfully entered their “occupied” habitation. That word “occupied” is there for a reason. It means something. It limits the conditions under which the castle law applies.

Guyger was not in an “occupied” habitation (her or what she believed to be hers) when Jean entered. Jean was already there. Guyger had no reason to believe that any other persons were lawfully occupying the apartment. Therefore, the castle law does not apply. That word “occupied” prevents it from being applied in this case. I think that is intentional to prevent situations like this and similar situation like walking in on the plummer, etc.

That means Guyger will have to show that she reasonably believed that deadly force was immediately necessary to protect herself against an attempted use of deadly force against her. That is probably going to be, “I thought he was reaching for a gun.”
Old 29th August 2019, 05:32 PM   #544
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I think you are talking about "Bunny".
That wasn't Bunny. It was one of the sisters that claimed to have heard "let me in". There is still an issue of credibility for that witness. They gave the information to Jean's lawyer instead of the police. They didn't hear anything else related to the incident. There were other closer witness that didn't hear that. It was never established when they heard someone say that. It may have been when the police had arrived and were banging and asking people to let them into the locked hallway.

If Jean answered the door, he couldn't have just backed away. He would have had to turn and go down the hallway and turn into the living room and then turn and come back toward the kitchen counter, while Guyger remained on the other side of the counter near the door.

Guyger's keys were still in the door when the police arrived.

Everything points toward the door being ajar. As I have said before, I think that after the apartment manger visited Jean about the marijuana complaint, he had the door slightly open and let it go and it didn't have enough force to completely close.
Old 29th August 2019, 06:10 PM   #545
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Texas doesn't have murder 2. Texas has capital murder (contract killing, murder while incarcerated or escaping prison, while committing another serious felony, killing a cop, judge, young child, etc.) and just regular murder. (And manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide.)

For the punishment phase, murder can be a first or second degree felony. To be second degree, it must be a crime of passion.
Old 29th August 2019, 08:19 PM   #546
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

One other thing regarding this 'her house's thing. She was not the property owner. She was a leasing tenant. Even if she was in the hall, I think her leasing terms would extend to the hall and other common areas, and castle doctrine would still apply. Surely there would be Texas precedent on that?
I doubt there is any precedent. Keep in mind that for the castle law to apply, the person must have a reasonable belief that the other person entered unlawfully and with force. It can’t just be anybody walking in the hall way. Or even just somebody in somebody’s home. It has to be more than that. It has to be someone who shouldn’t be there breaking in.

Unless somebody actually sees the person breaking into the apartment building, I doubt they could have a reasonable belief that the person entered unlawfully and with force. And even if they see somebody breaking in, it may be lawful. Maybe they forgot their key and decided to break in. Lawfully. Although a tenant who forgot a key and breaks in may actually be unlawful. We are drifting far out into the weeds here…

The definition of “habitation” in Texas law doesn’t exactly clarify the issue. It suggests that it would be limited to the person’s apartment. It could be argued that it could extend to the apartment building. Technically. I doubt that would fly. But who knows…

Which I think is very problematic with the castle laws. Even a Texas prosecuting attorney doesn’t seem to know the details of the law. And some issues are completely unknown. All laws have some grey areas, but this is serious.

This is the difference between “perfectly okay” and “horribly wrong”. Self-defense and years in prison for murder. And there is only a fine, uncertain line between those two.

I can understand the need for castle laws. But if we are going to have them, they need to be very well defined so that everybody knows the rules of the game. And taught to everyone. And required for people purchasing guns.

This is serious business where something that seems perfectly okay can go horribly wrong.
Old 29th August 2019, 08:33 PM   #547
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
I doubt there is any precedent. Keep in mind that for the castle law to apply, the person must have a reasonable belief that the other person entered unlawfully and with force. It can’t just be anybody walking in the hall way. Or even just somebody in somebody’s home. It has to be more than that. It has to be someone who shouldn’t be there breaking in.

Unless somebody actually sees the person breaking into the apartment building, I doubt they could have a reasonable belief that the person entered unlawfully and with force. And even if they see somebody breaking in, it may be lawful. Maybe they forgot their key and decided to break in. Lawfully. Although a tenant who forgot a key and breaks in may actually be unlawful. We are drifting far out into the weeds here…

The definition of “habitation” in Texas law doesn’t exactly clarify the issue. It suggests that it would be limited to the person’s apartment. It could be argued that it could extend to the apartment building. Technically. I doubt that would fly. But who knows…

Which I think is very problematic with the castle laws. Even a Texas prosecuting attorney doesn’t seem to know the details of the law. And some issues are completely unknown. All laws have some grey areas, but this is serious.

This is the difference between “perfectly okay” and “horribly wrong”. Self-defense and years in prison for murder. And there is only a fine, uncertain line between those two.

I can understand the need for castle laws. But if we are going to have them, they need to be very well defined so that everybody knows the rules of the game. And taught to everyone. And required for people purchasing guns.

This is serious business where something that seems perfectly okay can go horribly wrong.
I think there must have been some precedent where the four walls of castle have been extended to immediate surroundings? I mean, it must have been tried at some point?

My admittedly biased concern is the john who sprayed the car of a hooker who ripped him off with an AK-47...and was acquitted, because he was...*steadying himself*...trying to recover stolen property. I put nothing past the guys...and gals...of this Mad Max state.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...icle-1.1365975
Old 29th August 2019, 11:21 PM   #548
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

I think there must have been some precedent where the four walls of castle have been extended to immediate surroundings? I mean, it must have been tried at some point?

My admittedly biased concern is the john who sprayed the car of a hooker who ripped him off with an AK-47...and was acquitted, because he was...*steadying himself*...trying to recover stolen property. I put nothing past the guys...and gals...of this Mad Max state.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...icle-1.1365975
That is not castle law. That is a law in Texas that permits deadly force against someone who is fleeing after committing theft in the nighttime where the property cannot be protected by any other means.

If Guyger shot Jean while he was jumping out a window onto a fire escape carrying away Guyger's jewelry box, that law might apply. But this case is nothing like that.
Old 30th August 2019, 06:37 AM   #549
Thermal
Philosopher

That is not castle law. That is a law in Texas that permits deadly force against someone who is fleeing after committing theft in the nighttime where the property cannot be protected by any other means.

If Guyger shot Jean while he was jumping out a window onto a fire escape carrying away Guyger's jewelry box, that law might apply. But this case is nothing like that.
Yes, I know. I am noting that the fine State that can allow such lethal recourse must surely have had the boundaries of castle doctrine challenged at some point? Like every week? Like expanding them to the boundaries of the Northern Hemisphere?

My concern with all this is how a Texan jury is likely to interpret laws regarding lethal force, based on existing statutes and precedent, so I'm poking around for the general Texan mindset regarding lethal force and how it has withstood challenge.
Old 30th August 2019, 06:40 AM   #550
Thermal
Philosopher

Texas doesn't have murder 2. Texas has capital murder (contract killing, murder while incarcerated or escaping prison, while committing another serious felony, killing a cop, judge, young child, etc.) and just regular murder. (And manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide.)

For the punishment phase, murder can be a first or second degree felony. To be second degree, it must be a crime of passion.
Yes, that's why I am using the casual phrase murder 2, to indicate the commonly understood distinction of lack of premeditation, but no wishy-washy manslaughter.
Old 30th August 2019, 06:47 AM   #551
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

That wasn't Bunny. It was one of the sisters that claimed to have heard "let me in". There is still an issue of credibility for that witness. They gave the information to Jean's lawyer instead of the police. They didn't hear anything else related to the incident. There were other closer witness that didn't hear that. It was never established when they heard someone say that. It may have been when the police had arrived and were banging and asking people to let them into the locked hallway.
Bunny is one of the two sisters that Merritt has been working with. In an early statement he calls them sisters who are living in separate apartments. In a later statement he calls them independent witnesses but doesn't say sisters. The two women spoke to each other right after the incident (one went to the other's apartment).

I can give links to the articles which show that Bunny is one of the sisters. Both claim to have heard loud knocking and gunshots. One heard "Let me in" along with the knocking and no other words. The other heard "Oh my god why did you do that?" after the shots but didn't hear "Let me in".
Old 30th August 2019, 07:14 AM   #552
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Of course it isn't, it's the answer to your question.
We used to play those kinds of games in elementary school, Darat.

Your post has nothing to do with my question. The question was: if you allow that she could reasonably think she was home, would it not mean that should be expected to defend that home?

That requires a yes or a no.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 07:24 AM   #553
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Would that mean that she could gun down anyone she happened to run across in the hallways with impunity if she decided she felt threatened?
In Texas? I wouldn't doubt it. That's exactly why I'm thinking castle doctrine must surely have been challenged in court to extend beyond the four walls. I believe it already extends to workplace and vehicle. But hallways and sidewalks, I'm not sure.
Old 30th August 2019, 07:32 AM   #554
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If you're arguing for across the board application of castle doctrine AND removing the "But you have to at least be correct about being in your castle" from the equation you're arguing for legal murder in any way that matters.

This is functionally "You can kill anyone whenever the situation applies AND you don't even have to be right about the situation."

Again what even is murder, or any crime, in this context?

"LOL stupid kill happy Texans" is not an answer.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 30th August 2019 at 07:41 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 08:15 AM   #555
Drewbot
Philosopher

If she saw the door ajar, as a police officer, she might immediately think she has an intruder in her apartment.

Does anyone know if Texas has a duty to retreat law? Or if you can stand your ground?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 08:18 AM   #556
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If she saw the door ajar, as a police officer, she might immediately think she has an intruder in her apartment.
Again so the chick was so out of it as to not know which apartment she was at, but so in it that she caught this detail.

So she did a "Sherlock Scan" on the situation to catch the open door, the intruder while NEVER ONCE NOTICING IT WAS THE WRONG APARTMENT.

No. That's not how reality works.

I'm really getting sick of this fantasy world where this chick was wrong about everything that should have stopped her from killing Jean but correct about everything that would let her kill Jean with no rhyme or reason.

At this point there's no functional difference from her just picking and choosing which parts of the fantasy she was living in that would let her kill Jean.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 30th August 2019 at 08:22 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 08:22 AM   #557
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Does anyone know if Texas has a duty to retreat law? Or if you can stand your ground?
No duty to retreat if I'm reading several links (one below) correctly. However, you can only "stand your ground" some place you have a right to be and you have to be defending, not attacking first. And those two points don't seem to be the case here.

https://www.texastribune.org/2012/03...-force-self-d/

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 08:26 AM   #558
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Can she shoot someone in her apartment?"
"She wasn't in her apartment."
"In Texas you can defend yourself in your home."
"She wasn't in her home."
"Castle doctrine gives you the right to, in your home..."
"You don't have a duty to retreat when cornered in your home..."
Old 30th August 2019, 08:39 AM   #559
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
If you're arguing for across the board application of castle doctrine AND removing the "But you have to at least be correct about being in your castle" from the equation you're arguing for legal murder in any way that matters.

This is functionally "You can kill anyone whenever the situation applies AND you don't even have to be right about the situation."

Again what even is murder, or any crime, in this context?

"LOL stupid kill happy Texans" is not an answer.
...assuming you are talking to me...

I'm looking for ways that she would Not have the out that actual legal experts (not your feels) opine that she may have. For the ten thousandth time: I hope she rots in a cell for murder. It has been observed that under Texas law, she might walk free (but still face civil) I am questioning Texas law on the matter, because it is certainly...different...than other states.

Please, dude, please...get your head out of your ass.
Old 30th August 2019, 08:41 AM   #560
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"Can she shoot someone in her apartment?"
"She wasn't in her apartment."
"In Texas you can defend yourself in your home."
"Castle doctrine gives you the right to, in your home..."
"You don't have a duty to retreat when cornered in your home..."
"Legal experts say that mistake-of -fact allows her actions to be interpreted as though she were in her home."
"La la la can't hear you"

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events