ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Amber Guyger , Dallas incidents , murder cases , police incidents , police misconduct charges , shooting incidents , Texas cases

Closed Thread
Old 5th September 2019, 09:32 AM   #641
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Let's.

How is this:

An answer to this:

I didn't mention unconsciously or anything else. I said that once your expectation of being home is reasonable, is it not also reasonable to defend it?

Your answer was to a different question. I suspect by your behaviour that the answer is "no", but then it would mean that you don't think you have a right to defend your home in the first place.
Ah you wanted an answer to a hypothetical that has nothing to do with this incident. Sorry I didn't realise that, thought it was just your usual cack handed wording.

To your hypothetical my answer would be no.
Old 5th September 2019, 09:35 AM   #642
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Ah you wanted an answer to a hypothetical that has nothing to do with this incident.
It has everything to do with this incident. IF we allow that her "mistake of fact" was reasonable, then the question of whether people are allowed to defend their homes becomes relevant. Of course as I also noted earlier there are caveats to that as well.

Quote:
To your hypothetical my answer would be no.
Thank you.

So then you don't think people should have a right to defend their own homes? Why not?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 09:40 AM   #643
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
There is no correction. She shot twice, hit once
Anyone who doesn't already know the fact would think "hit twice" when they read what you wrote.
Old 5th September 2019, 11:13 AM   #644
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Anyone who doesn't already know the fact would think "hit twice" when they read what you wrote.
So us on the doll where the unsplit hair touched you.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 11:40 AM   #645
Joe Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
This was posted a couple days ago in post #607...

So maybe they let in pro-police but not extreme pro-police. Or maybe it's all a scam meant to give the impression of impartiality and lack of bias.

I can't see the future on who will wind up on this jury, but I consider myself rather heavily biased pro-law enforcement. I have an acknowledged bias, enough to where I've never served on a jury. The woman in this case needs to be locked up, full stop, and any loophole in the law which could see her walk on a correctly-adjudicated technicality needs closing ASAP. Pro- or anti- something doesn't have to mean mindlessly picking the same side, specific circumstances be damned.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 11:42 AM   #646
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

It has everything to do with this incident. IF we allow that her "mistake of fact" was reasonable, then the question of whether people are allowed to defend their homes becomes relevant. Of course as I also noted earlier there are caveats to that as well.

Thank you.

So then you don't think people should have a right to defend their own homes? Why not?
Nope I do believe people have the right to defend themselves where ever they happen to be.
Old 5th September 2019, 11:53 AM   #647
Belz...
Fiend God

Nope I do believe people have the right to defend themselves where ever they happen to be.
That is, again, not the question I asked.

Do you believe that people have a right to defend their homes?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 12:15 PM   #648
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

That is, again, not the question I asked.

Do you believe that people have a right to defend their homes?
I believe he answered your question.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 12:16 PM   #649
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
I believe he answered your question.
Defending yourself and defending your home are not the same thing. I even bolded the damned words to make sure the distinction was visible.

Old 5th September 2019, 12:20 PM   #650
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Defending yourself and defending your home are not the same thing. I even bolded the damned words to make sure the distinction was visible.
I believe that's why he used the specific damned words he did.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 12:23 PM   #651
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
I believe that's why he used the specific damned words he did.
- So then you don't think people should have a right to defend their own homes? Why not?
- Nope I do believe people have the right to defend themselves where ever they happen to be.

The first word seems to mean that they don't have a right to defend their homes, but the rest rather implies that he's answering a different question altogether, and with a "yes" instead.

Did he mean "no, but I do believe..."? Does he think you don't have a right to defend your home, but that you have a right to defend your life? It's not clear from his answer, and if he could just being evasive for one post he could clear that up.

Old 5th September 2019, 12:42 PM   #652
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
I can't see the future on who will wind up on this jury, but I consider myself rather heavily biased pro-law enforcement. I have an acknowledged bias, enough to where I've never served on a jury. The woman in this case needs to be locked up, full stop, and any loophole in the law which could see her walk on a correctly-adjudicated technicality needs closing ASAP. Pro- or anti- something doesn't have to mean mindlessly picking the same side, specific circumstances be damned.
That kind of logic leads you to think that the jury messed up after the police killed a guy for pulling up his pants after 5 minutes of playing simon says. That is clearly proper police work and like executing a black man who thinks he can legally carry a gun is well with in the bounds of proper police work.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 01:22 PM   #653
Bob001
Philosopher

"Defense," of self, others, home or in any other situation, is premised on a response that is proportional to the threat. You can use force to stop the assault, the trespass or the theft, but you can't use more force than is required. If somebody punches you, you can punch him back until he stops. You can't kick him to death. If somebody breaks into your house and leaves when you shout "get out!," you can't shoot him in the back as he runs away.

The problem here is confusing "self-defense" with "blowing away a stranger on sight." Those are not the same things. That's where the distinction needs to be made.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 02:17 PM   #654
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
"Defense," of self, others, home or in any other situation, is premised on a response that is proportional to the threat. You can use force to stop the assault, the trespass or the theft, but you can't use more force than is required. If somebody punches you, you can punch him back until he stops. You can't kick him to death. If somebody breaks into your house and leaves when you shout "get out!," you can't shoot him in the back as he runs away.

The problem here is confusing "self-defense" with "blowing away a stranger on sight." Those are not the same things. That's where the distinction needs to be made.
Especially since Guyver was literally blocking any possible attempt to leave.
Old 5th September 2019, 03:26 PM   #655
Distracted1
Illuminator

That is an interesting theory.
Must one wait to first be punched before determining how to properly respond?
Old 5th September 2019, 03:51 PM   #656
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Especially since Guyver was literally blocking any possible attempt to leave.
I'm sorry, I've tried to ignore it, but I just can't any more.

It's Guyger.

Not Guyver.

Guyger.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 03:52 PM   #657
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
That is an interesting theory.
Must one wait to first be punched before determining how to properly respond?
Maybe not always, but you have to be pretty sure that you're in immediate danger if you don't want to be locked up yourself. And, say, a guy mouthing off in a bar when you can walk away is not an imminent threat.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 07:27 PM   #658
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by wollery View Post
I'm sorry, I've tried to ignore it, but I just can't any more.

It's Guyger.

Not Guyver.

Guyger.
Sorry. Shan't happen again.
Old 6th September 2019, 12:35 AM   #659
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

- So then you don't think people should have a right to defend their own homes? Why not?

- Nope I do believe people have the right to defend themselves where ever they happen to be.

The first word seems to mean that they don't have a right to defend their homes, but the rest rather implies that he's answering a different question altogether, and with a "yes" instead.

Did he mean "no, but I do believe..."? Does he think you don't have a right to defend your home, but that you have a right to defend your life? It's not clear from his answer, and if he could just being evasive for one post he could clear that up.
I'm afraid I'm not able to help you further.
Old 6th September 2019, 02:01 AM   #660
Belz...
Fiend God

"Defense," of self, others, home or in any other situation, is premised on a response that is proportional to the threat. You can use force to stop the assault, the trespass or the theft, but you can't use more force than is required.
I agree. The issue is that there _are_ laws in some states where you can defend "property", not just life, sometimes with deadly force. We've had a discussion about these a couple of years ago. So the jury in this case might find that the policewoman's "mistake of fact" was in fact reasonable -- something I'd disagree with, but then I don't know what all the facts and arguments are going to be in court -- and therefore the question of whether she should be expected to defend her home, if not her life, is relevant and, in my mind, important.

I think it's fair to ask Darat where he stands exactly on those. However, for some reason he refuses to fully answer.

I'm afraid I'm not able to help you further.
You could help by clarifying whether you were responding to my question about property, rather than a question about self-defense, which I didn't ask.

Old 6th September 2019, 03:49 AM   #661
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

...snip...

You could help by clarifying whether you were responding to my question about property, rather than a question about self-defense, which I didn't ask.
I thought I was as clear as possible but I'll try again.

I can't help you with your current difficulty in understanding our exchange.

What that means is that it is not in my gift to help your ability to understand a discussion, you will need to seek help eleswhere if you are still struggling to understand.
Old 6th September 2019, 04:08 AM   #662
Belz...
Fiend God

I thought I was as clear as possible but I'll try again.

I can't help you with your current difficulty in understanding our exchange.
Of course you can, by answering my question directly. I'm not asking you whether someone can act in self-defense. I was asking you whether you think, in any scenario, people can act to defend property.

It's a simple yes or not. You're spending a lot of time and effort rather than just responding with a single word. I don't know why.

Old 6th September 2019, 04:15 AM   #663
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Of course you can, by answering my question directly. I'm not asking you whether someone can act in self-defense. I was asking you whether you think, in any scenario, people can act to defend property.

It's a simple yes or not. You're spending a lot of time and effort rather than just responding with a single word. I don't know why.
So sorry you cant understand.
Old 6th September 2019, 04:21 AM   #664
Belz...
Fiend God

So sorry you cant understand.
Thank you for your concern. I'm touched.

You could help out with a bit of an effort, however. I think the issue of defense of property is interesting.

Don't you think it likely that the jury will be convinced by the "mistake of fact" argument?

Last edited by Belz...; 6th September 2019 at 04:51 AM.
Old 6th September 2019, 04:54 AM   #665
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Thank you for your concern. I'm touched.

You could help out with a bit of an effort, however. I think the issue of defense of property is interesting.

Don't you think it likely that the jury will be convinced by the "mistake of fact" argument?
No. As I've said all along, the mistake of fact only gets her to the door it doesn't get to her shooting someone because she did not make a mistake on that.
Old 6th September 2019, 05:00 AM   #666
Belz...
Fiend God

No. As I've said all along, the mistake of fact only gets her to the door it doesn't get to her shooting someone because she did not make a mistake on that.
But the point of the mistake of fact is that if it's seen as reasonable, she is assumed to act AS IF it was her actual home, and in some places you can defend said home with deadly force. In this case I find the idea suspect, since she was in the door and could retreat at any time, but allowing for her to have the reasonable belief that she is home, legally, allows her some defense options, depending on the state.

The distinction I'm trying to make right now is defense of property vs defense of self, specifically because I don't think she has a self-defense case for the reasons I gave above.

Old 6th September 2019, 05:22 AM   #667
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

But the point of the mistake of fact is that if it's seen as reasonable, she is assumed to act AS IF it was her actual home, and in some places you can defend said home with deadly force. In this case I find the idea suspect, since she was in the door and could retreat at any time, but allowing for her to have the reasonable belief that she is home, legally, allows her some defense options, depending on the state.

The distinction I'm trying to make right now is defense of property vs defense of self, specifically because I don't think she has a self-defense case for the reasons I gave above.
As I would have thought I've made clear for quite sometime I don't accept that reasoning.

As I've said I would support her not being prosecuted for breaking and entry or trespass if she genuinely was stupid enough to not realise she wasn't entering her apartment. That's a mistake of fact defence.

However the rest of actions were not mistakes nor accidental nor of course instinctive nor instantaneous so there is no mistake of fact defence for those acts. She quite deliberately tried and succeeded at killing someone.
Old 6th September 2019, 05:33 AM   #668
Belz...
Fiend God

As I would have thought I've made clear for quite sometime I don't accept that reasoning.
Which part? The part where a reasonable belief leads to a justifiable action? I got that, but I want to know why.

For example, if I feel like someone is attacking me and my life is in danger, and that belief is judged entirely reasonable in context, am I not justified in defending myself with deadly force? If not, then what's the point of calling the belief reasonable to begin with?

Old 6th September 2019, 05:44 AM   #669
Distracted1
Illuminator

From what I understand, the impetus for the "castle doctrine", and "stand your ground" laws was a belief by lawmakers (and presumably the electorate that supports them) that in certain instances (like being inside ones domicile) there is no duty to retreat.
Old 6th September 2019, 05:51 AM   #670
Distracted1
Illuminator

Which part? The part where a reasonable belief leads to a justifiable action? I got that, but I want to know why.

For example, if I feel like someone is attacking me and my life is in danger, and that belief is judged entirely reasonable in context, am I not justified in defending myself with deadly force? If not, then what's the point of calling the belief reasonable to begin with?
This thread has been tempestuous already.
And we have not even got to the "victim blaming" portion yet.

How reasonable do you expect it will be argued that someone inside their own apartment (Mr. Jean, in this instance) would move to confront someone who barged in unexpectedly?

How reasonable will it be seen to view such movement to confront as a threat?

And forget about what it will be like when the victims' (possibly altered) state of mind is added as a likely qualifier.

It seems to me the only path to a conviction for murder is the prosecutions' ability to convince the entire jury that Guygers mistaking the apartments was somehow "unreasonable".
I see that as a difficult path, especially since I (and a few other posters from this limited sample of humanity) see it a a reasonable error.

On the plus side, Guygers defense in the criminal matter makes the civil case pretty much a slam-dunk for the Jean family. They will likely even get a settlement from the manufacturer of the door lock.
It won't bring their loved one back to them- but neither will anything else.

Last edited by Distracted1; 6th September 2019 at 06:06 AM.
Distracted1 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 06:12 AM   #671
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Because victim blaming is where the thread ******* started.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 06:21 AM   #672
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

How reasonable do you expect it will be argued that someone inside their own apartment (Mr. Jean, in this instance) would move to confront someone who barged in unexpectedly?

How reasonable will it be seen to view such movement to confront as a threat?
Wait.

So let me make sure I get this straight.

Jean confronting Guyger to protect his apartment IN THE REAL ACTUAL WORLD gave Guyver the right to kill Jean inside the imaginary apartment she thought she was in in her head.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 6th September 2019 at 06:25 AM.
Old 6th September 2019, 06:29 AM   #673
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Wait.

So let me make sure I get this straight.

Jean confronting Guyger to protect his apartment IN THE REAL ACTUAL WORLD gave Guyver the right to kill Jean inside the imaginary apartment she thought she was in in her head.
Assuming that you meant your second sentence to mean "..gave her (not Jean) the right..."
Effectively, yes. Although how the term "rights" play in to this as opposed to more concrete terms like "criminal" and "legal" is another discussion.

Sorry, I see you fixed your wording. Ignore my first sentence.
Old 6th September 2019, 06:30 AM   #674
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Effectively, yes. Although how the term "rights" play in to this as opposed to more concrete terms like "criminal" and "legal" is another discussion.
That's insane. Again that's reducing the criminal justice system down to asking people do they want to be criminals or not.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 6th September 2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 6th September 2019, 06:33 AM   #675
Belz...
Fiend God

From what I understand, the impetus for the "castle doctrine", and "stand your ground" laws was a belief by lawmakers (and presumably the electorate that supports them) that in certain instances (like being inside ones domicile) there is no duty to retreat.
I understand that, but I take it to mean: when you're actually in your home and someone comes in, not when you're the one coming in, where it's far easier to retreat.

This thread has been tempestuous already.
Oh, we got to that a while ago.

Quote:
What does that have to do with what I said? It's been said over and over that Jean would've probably been entirely legally justified to shoot her dead when she came in.

Quote:
I see that as a difficult path, especially since I (and a few other posters from this limited sample of humanity) see it a a reasonable error.
I don't. She had many opportunities to realise her mistake before coming in, including, and this is the killer one for me, a big red mat in front of the door.

Old 6th September 2019, 06:36 AM   #676
Distracted1
Illuminator

That's insane. Again that's reducing the criminal justice system down to asking people do they want to be criminals or not.
I see it as considering wether or not someone intends to act criminally or not.
It is a seemingly important principle in the law.

Personally, the failure of Justice I see here is found in the "no duty to retreat" and "proliferation of guns" aspects of this situation, Not the "mistake of fact" aspect of it which I see as a net positive principle.
Old 6th September 2019, 06:36 AM   #677
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's been said over and over that Jean would've probably been entirely legally justified to shoot her dead when she came in.
And not one person would be screaming about "mistake of fact!" and "OMG WE NEED TO DETERMINE IF HE'D BEEN AWAKE FOR A NORMAL LENGTH OF A DAY!" when the big scawwy black guy was arrested and convicted for killing the widdle white cop.
Old 6th September 2019, 06:37 AM   #678
Distracted1
Illuminator

I understand that, but I take it to mean: when you're actually in your home and someone comes in, not when you're the one coming in, where it's far easier to retreat.

Oh, we got to that a while ago.

What does that have to do with what I said? It's been said over and over that Jean would've probably been entirely legally justified to shoot her dead when she came in.

I don't. She had many opportunities to realise her mistake before coming in, including, and this is the killer one for me, a big red mat in front of the door.
The "red mat" will be the "if the glove does not fit...." component of this.
Old 6th September 2019, 06:39 AM   #679
Distracted1
Illuminator

And not one person would be screaming about "mistake of fact!" and "OMG WE NEED TO DETERMINE IF HE'D BEEN AWAKE FOR A NORMAL LENGTH OF A DAY!" when the big scawwy black guy was arrested and convicted for killing the widdle white cop.
Or perhaps determine if he knew it was a cop coming for him, and not some random person (in your hypothetical). Are you saying that should not matter?
Old 6th September 2019, 06:41 AM   #680
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Or perhaps determine if he knew it was a cop coming for him, and not some random person (in your hypothetical). Are you saying that should not matter?
I'm saying you wouldn't be making excuses if the outcome had been reversed even though every single bull **** excuse you've vomited out would apply just the same. If Guyver had been the one dead at the end of the altercation you wouldn't be obsessed with Jean's state of mind. You wouldn't been looking for a reason it was okay. Period.

We've had dozens of threads where your "Mistake of Fact" fetish would have manifested if it was honest. It didn't manifest until this one. There's a reason.

Write fan fiction about the criticism of your original fan fiction on your own time.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 6th September 2019 at 06:45 AM.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events