ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Boston incidents , Kyle Chapman , Mark Sahady , white nationalists

Old 5th September 2019, 08:09 AM   #441
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Yeah, kind of like the dead bodies of the last multiple white supremacists seem to be perfectly fine, in your opinion, because...McCarthyism?

People are suffering now because of that speech, and because we have a president that repeats it. Appeal to emotion noted.

Right, that doesn't change my initial point at all that we have a body in the government that dictates free speech. Something you implied would be super dangerous. Thank you for finally agreeing with me.

If the SCOTUS rules that Nazi hate speech and propaganda is illegal, what would you do?

LoL the McCarthyism boogeyman. I love it.

Preaching for the genocide of multiple races isn't political expression, it's hate speech.
It is really so hard to imagine that these sweeping power you suggest would be used for injustice? We currently have a president who is sympathetic to right wing radical politics. Trump wields the vast power of the state while progressives suggest that that same state should save us from right wing extremists. RBG's frail health is all that stands between us and a 6-3 right wing SCOTUS for a generation. Right wingers are fervently working to entrench a minority party as the permanent holders of power, and you think expanding that power is a good idea.

This isn't a slippery slope, we are standing at the edge of a pit with no visible bottom.

There is nothing about the law, as it exists now, to stop the government from imprisoning domestic terrorists. The fact that the feds treat white supremacists and nazis as low priority is not proof that we need more laws, it is proof that we need to change those in power.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 5th September 2019 at 08:12 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 08:11 AM   #442
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
It's not the last time. Therein lies the problem.

We learn from past history. We don't live in it now.
Your comments would indicate that people such as yourself have not learnt from the past.
Old 5th September 2019, 08:11 AM   #443
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Nazism was and is quite clear about what it is. I have no issue at all with making a claim that Nazis want to kill me, if they didn't they wouldn't be Nazis.
Can you show a significant 21st century source? Or are you relying on the 1930's stuff? Just curious. I think we are functionally at an impasse, argumentatively, if you declare without evidence.
Old 5th September 2019, 08:14 AM   #444
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
It is really so hard to imagine that these sweeping power you suggest would be used for injustice? We currently have a president who is sympathetic to right wing radical politics. Trump wields the vast power of the states while progressives suggest that that same state should save us from right wing extremists. RBG frail health is all that stands between us and a 6-3 right wing SCOTUS for a generation. Right wingers are fervently working to entrench a minority party as the permanent holders of power, and you think expanding that power is a good idea.

This isn't a slippery slope, we are standing at the edge of a pit with no visible bottom.

There is nothing about the law, as it exists now, to stop the government from imprisoning domestic terrorists. The fact that the feds treat white supremacists and nazis as low priority is not proof that we need more laws, it is proof that we need to change those in power.
In the USA I believe it is currently illegal to be a member of ISIS, to promote ISIS, to advocate for ISIS, to aid and abet ISIS.

Why is that? Is it because of the aims, the goals, the actions of ISIS? Of course it is. Nazis should be treated the same way we treat members of ISIS, those that advocate for Nazism, that support Nazis should be treated the same way.
Old 5th September 2019, 08:15 AM   #445
Thermal
Philosopher

Your comments would indicate that people such as yourself have not learnt from the past.
Oh, I learn. I also adapt to changing times. History guides. It doesn't demand we live in amber.
Old 5th September 2019, 08:17 AM   #446
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Can you show a significant 21st century source? Or are you relying on the 1930's stuff? Just curious. I think we are functionally at an impasse, argumentatively, if you declare without evidence.
I'm relying on the doctrines of Nazism, the content of a book called Mein Kampf and so on. You know Nazism.
Old 5th September 2019, 08:18 AM   #447
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

In the USA I believe it is currently illegal to be a member of ISIS, to promote ISIS, to advocate for ISIS, to aid and abet ISIS.

Why is that? Is it because of the aims, the goals, the actions of ISIS? Of course it is. Nazis should be treated the same way we treat members of ISIS, those that advocate for Nazism, that support Nazis should be treated the same way.
ahh yes, the PATRIOT Act, beacon of freedom. No one regrets that one.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 5th September 2019 at 08:21 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 08:21 AM   #448
Thermal
Philosopher

I'm relying on the doctrines of Nazism, the content of a book called Mein Kampf and so on. You know Nazism.
The past. Gotcha. Nothing changes. Ever.
Old 5th September 2019, 08:26 AM   #449
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The past. Gotcha. Nothing changes. Ever.
Can you point me to this revolution in Nazi ideology that has happened this century? I freely admit I must have missed this amazing rethink of Nazism and its new "no longer want to kill me" stance.

One suspects that you won't be able to do so. The reason being of course is that there hasn't been this redefinition of Nazism that you claim there has been.

Nazism remains what Nazism has always been.
Old 5th September 2019, 08:28 AM   #450
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

ahh yes, the PATRIOT Act, beacon of freedom. No one regrets that one.
That doesn't seem to be a rebuttal to what I said.
Old 5th September 2019, 08:30 AM   #451
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

That doesn't seem to be a rebuttal to what I said.
My rebuttal is that the government shouldn't have the power you described. I won't defend it because the laws passed by the Patriot act are terrible. You can prosecute people as accessories to violent acts, such as terrorism here or abroad, without giving the state the sweeping powers of the Patriot act.
Old 5th September 2019, 08:32 AM   #452
Thermal
Philosopher

Can you point me to this revolution in Nazi ideology that has happened this century? I freely admit I must have missed this amazing rethink of Nazism and its new "no longer want to kill me" stance.

One suspects that you won't be able to do so. The reason being of course is that there hasn't been this redefinition of Nazism that you claim there has been.

Nazism remains what Nazism has always been.
The Nazis were stomped out rather decisively. This new crew seems to share little but white power feces and some imagery. I think you have a long way to make the connection to these punks endorsing a fascist ethnostate and the other actual nazi objectives. For instance, they might need significant political action. More than a facebook page or twitter feed with snarky posts.
Old 5th September 2019, 08:49 AM   #453
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

My rebuttal is that the government shouldn't have the power you described. I won't defend it because the laws passed by the Patriot act are terrible. You can prosecute people as accessories to violent acts, such as terrorism here or abroad, without giving the state the sweeping powers of the Patriot act.
I sincerely don't know so that's why I am asking. Prior to the patriot act USA folk would have been allowed to be members of IsIS, raise money for them, promote their doctrines and so on?
Old 5th September 2019, 08:50 AM   #454
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The Nazis were stomped out rather decisively. This new crew seems to share little but white power feces and some imagery. I think you have a long way to make the connection to these punks endorsing a fascist ethnostate and the other actual nazi objectives. For instance, they might need significant political action. More than a facebook page or twitter feed with snarky posts.
Again, can you please demonstrate the change in Nazi ideology that you claim has happened this century?
Old 5th September 2019, 08:56 AM   #455
Cavemonster
Philosopher

For any fan club of X, it seems safe to assume they're fans of what X is best known for until some compelling evidence to the contrary comes up.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 08:59 AM   #456
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

You're making the argument of "they won't be able to commit genocide", not that "they don't want genocide".
Hence it isn't incitement, it only becomes incitement when the risk is real.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 08:59 AM   #457
Thermal
Philosopher

Again, can you please demonstrate the change in Nazi ideology that you claim has happened this century?
Yes, observation of their words and actions which do not indicate strict adherence to the Reich. There would be no change spelled out because there was no continuity in the first place.

Different time, different critters. Some similar swag and beliefs.

Please show 21st century direct endorsement of genocide. Not by association with previous generations,if you please
Old 5th September 2019, 09:04 AM   #458
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
For any fan club of X, it seems safe to assume they're fans of what X is best known for until some compelling evidence to the contrary comes up.
Disagreed. I'm a fan of America's founding fathers. Not a fan of slaveholding, denying women rights, etc.

You think a fan of Jefferson's writing must endorse him in toto till proven otherwise? Harsh bro
Old 5th September 2019, 09:08 AM   #459
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Yes, observation of their words and actions which do not indicate strict adherence to the Reich. There would be no change spelled out because there was no continuity in the first place.

Please show 21st century direct endorsement of genocide. Not by association with previous generations,if you please
These are people claiming to be Nazis, I would say it is not up to me to show that they are not Nazis but up to you to show why we shouldn't consider them Nazis even though they claim to be Nazis.
Old 5th September 2019, 09:13 AM   #460
plague311
Great minds think...

The point is the government has always had that power. I don't know what you aren't getting about this. The SCOTUS can easily translate what they're saying into hate speech, and make it illegal.

Comparing banning Nazi hate speech to the Patriot Act is disingenuous at best.

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Hence it isn't incitement, it only becomes incitement when the risk is real.
Oh, so you're totally fine with me saying I'm going to kill someone, as long as I can't actually do it?

That is easily one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever heard in my life. If there weren't rules here my comments wouldn't be so bland.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 5th September 2019 at 09:14 AM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 09:17 AM   #461
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Oh, so you're totally fine with me saying I'm going to kill someone, as long as I can't actually do it?
No this is incitement. You can call on people to kill the jews or gays or whatever as long as it is unlikely that they actually will. If then then do it you committed incitement.

"The incitement test first urged by Learned Hand did not become part of the Supreme Court's First Amendment jurisprudence until 1969, in the per curium decision of Brandenburg v Ohio. In reversing the conviction of a Ku Klux Klan leader who gave a speech warning "that there might have to be some revengeance taken" for "continued suppression of the white, Caucasian race," the Court held that the First Amendment allows punishment only of subversive advocacy calculated to produce "imminent lawless action" and which is likely to produce such action. "

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/project...incitement.htm
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 09:18 AM   #462
Thermal
Philosopher

These are people claiming to be Nazis, I would say it is not up to me to show that they are not Nazis but up to you to show why we shouldn't consider them Nazis even though they claim to be Nazis.
Yet they openly do not claim to endorse genocide. The burden falls back on you to demonstrate that they do. That others used to, or you really think so, does not suffice.
Old 5th September 2019, 09:18 AM   #463
plague311
Great minds think...

Are you basically arguing by saying we currently have a kinder, gentler Nazi? Seriously, what the hell?

Unless you can specifically point, as Darat has requested you to do a thousand times, to a change in the current Nazi's then Darat is right. There is no change in ideology, the only change you've been able to prove, at best, is that they can't get to that point, not that they don't want to. Which again, means your previous claim is wrong.

I admit I'm wrong all of the time, it baffles me that other people can't do the same. You claimed they don't hold that ideal, just admit you're wrong or prove you aren't. Not being able to do something doesn't mean they don't want to. Christ.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 09:18 AM   #464
ArchSas
Thinker

Check out the podcast "I Don't Speak German." It's run by a guy who spends most of his free time reading and listening to neo-Nazi/alt-right/white supremacist/etc. content and documenting it. I think even within an episode or two, you'll find ample evidence day neo-Nazis very much still do call for genocide.

Like others are pointing out, of course they do - it's why they identify as Nazis in the first place. It's a major feature of the ideology. Your counterarguments are, frankly, insane, and your certainty that neo-Nazis aren't pro-genocide because they haven't done it yet, and things must have changed in 80s years is kind of disturbing. Talking about a need to genocide is a fundamental part of what they people are about, and it has been since the days of George Lincoln Rockwell. Even a basic familiarity with modern neo-Nazism would make that obvious. It's true that some of the prominent leaders of the movement (Richard Spencer being the really obvious one) publicly say they want "peaceful ethnic cleansing" and stuff like that, but it's also something they started doing purely for the sake of good PR. Most of the prominent Nazis still talk about gassing the Jews all the time, especially in settings they think are more private like discord. But I guess Spencer's PR worked on you.

Last edited by ArchSas; 5th September 2019 at 09:59 AM.
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 09:19 AM   #465
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
No this is incitement. You can call on people to kill the jews or gays or whatever as long as it is unlikely that they actually will. If then then do it you committed incitement.

"The incitement test first urged by Learned Hand did not become part of the Supreme Court's First Amendment jurisprudence until 1969, in the per curium decision of Brandenburg v Ohio. In reversing the conviction of a Ku Klux Klan leader who gave a speech warning "that there might have to be some revengeance taken" for "continued suppression of the white, Caucasian race," the Court held that the First Amendment allows punishment only of subversive advocacy calculated to produce "imminent lawless action" and which is likely to produce such action. "

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/project...incitement.htm
I'm not engaging in anymore of your nonsense. Thanks.

Old 5th September 2019, 09:22 AM   #466
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

I sincerely don't know so that's why I am asking. Prior to the patriot act USA folk would have been allowed to be members of IsIS, raise money for them, promote their doctrines and so on?
To some extent, yes, so long as their support did not cross into explicitly criminal behavior. Individual actions would be considered criminal, such as participating or being accessories to acts of terrorism, laundering money, etc, would be a crime. Sending a pack of tube socks to an ISIS fighter would not be a crime without the Patriot act.

PATRIOT act gives the state department unilateral authority to declare a foreign group terrorists and gives them sweeping power to prohibit citizens from providing otherwise non criminal support of such groups, including explicitly humanitarian aid or other explicitly non-violent behavior.

The state department (read: Trump) has unilateral authority to declare any foreign organization a FTO and criminalize citizens sending humanitarian aid. I'm surprised Trump hasn't thought to abuse this power yet. Maybe Stephen Miller will declare migrant caravans FTO's.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 5th September 2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 5th September 2019, 09:26 AM   #467
Thermal
Philosopher

To all: I think you are giving these phallically challenged losers far too much credit. Looking at them as a whole, I don't think most have the balls to argue with a traffic cop, much less kill anyone. All talk.

Yes, there are exceptions, who will be around forever. Sociopaths will always kill, with or without a group to surround themselves with. But just like I don't think the racist uncle at Thanksgiving is going to lynch anyone, these Nazi fetishists are by and large not genocidal.
Old 5th September 2019, 09:29 AM   #468
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

To all: I think you are giving these phallically challenged losers far too much credit. Looking at them as a whole, I don't think most have the balls to argue with a traffic cop, much less kill anyone. All talk.

Yes, there are exceptions, who will be around forever. Sociopaths will always kill, with or without a group to surround themselves with. But just like I don't think the racist uncle at Thanksgiving is going to lynch anyone, these Nazi fetishists are by and large not genocidal.
Yep just like members of the national socialist german workers party. None of them had the guts to do much on their own either. As such they were not real nazis.
Old 5th September 2019, 09:32 AM   #469
Steve
Philosopher

Yet they openly do not claim to endorse genocide. The burden falls back on you to demonstrate that they do. That others used to, or you really think so, does not suffice.
How can a person openly not claim something? That makes no sense at all.
Old 5th September 2019, 09:34 AM   #470
plague311
Great minds think...

Cool story bro, that still wasn't your claim. Your claim was that they no longer support genocide, and even used an example via supporting the democratic party. Again, just rescind that statement, and say you were wrong.

Believing in something and being able to do something isn't the same, and you handwaving away the lives of people taken by white supremacists is troubling to me. You seem to be fine with it. That's, frankly, nuts to me, but hey...to each their own. You also seem to be ignoring the fact that Nazism encourages them to kill. This is just another "lone wolf" or "mental health" excuse for white supremacy taking lives.

Seriously though, why can't people admit when they're wrong? It's just mind boggling.

Last edited by plague311; 5th September 2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 5th September 2019, 09:35 AM   #471
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

I'm not engaging in anymore of your nonsense. Thanks.
His nonsense is literally true. It is perfectly legal to advocate for the wholesale genocide of other peoples in the US, and it wouldn't be considered criminal incitement unless it was phrased in such a way to direct immediate action to do so.

It would be perfectly legal, for example, for people to organize a political party that explicitly advocated the physical removal or murder of all non-white people in the United States. The Bradenburg opinion is quite clear that advocating for use of force, in a general sense not likely to cause imminent lawless action, is protected speech.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandenburg_v._Ohio
Old 5th September 2019, 09:36 AM   #472
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
How can a person openly not claim something? That makes no sense at all.
Not openly claim, then. Demystify that for ya?
Old 5th September 2019, 09:38 AM   #473
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
You seem to have missed my question

Let me give your theory a go.

Let us say every person on a straight gender pride parade is

Giant leap

Also racist? (doubtful, but for your benefit, let us say yes)

Giantest leap known to man leap

Also wanting genocide?

We go from a bunch of homophobes, to racist, to wanting to kill all black people in three steps.

Personally I find your view dumber than theirs and that is saying something given how dumb theirs is.

Again

I can explain what genocide means if needed
Now start with it being a couple of hundred people for a march organised months previously by neo-Nazis.

You are not going to march unless you are sympathetic to neo-nazis.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 09:40 AM   #474
Thermal
Philosopher

Cool story bro, that still wasn't your claim. Your claim was that they no longer support genocide, and even used an example via supporting the democratic party. Again, just rescind that statement, and say you were wrong.

Believing in something and being able to do something isn't the same, and you handwaving away the lives of people taken by white supremacists is troubling to me. You seem to be fine with it. That's, frankly, nuts to me, but hey...to each their own. You also seem to be ignoring the fact that Nazism encourages them to kill. This is just another "lone wolf" or "mental health" excuse for white supremacy taking lives.

Seriously though, why can't people admit when they're wrong? It's just mind boggling.
I think you can believe in parts of something without endorsing all of it. Seems I'm alone in that. Its not a question of being wrong. It's a question of pedantry. Posters claim that if some dweeb sports a swastika or Pepe, he endorses genocide. Not from what I see. In the 21st century, anyway
Old 5th September 2019, 09:42 AM   #475
plague311
Great minds think...

His nonsense is literally true. It is perfectly legal to advocate for the wholesale genocide of other peoples in the US, and it wouldn't be considered criminal incitement unless it was phrased in such a way to direct immediate action to do so.

It would be perfectly legal, for example, for people to organize a political party that explicitly advocated the physical removal or murder of all non-white people in the United States. The Bradenburg opinion is quite clear that advocating for use of force, in a general sense not likely to cause imminent lawless action, is protected speech.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandenburg_v._Ohio
And the mother ******* point, which I feel people are purposefully missing is that THEY ARE KILLING PEOPLE. Jesus Christ. This handwaving nonsense is getting really old, really fast.

There is no factual basis in saying that white supremacy propaganda has NOT incited violence in the US. It's a lie, if you're repeating it, you're lying.

******* A. How is this not getting through? If you want to make excuses for white supremacists murdering people by saying they're just crazy, or whatever, then go right ahead. It's your reputation, knock yourself out.

I didn't say I didn't understand what he said, I said it was nonsense.

Last edited by plague311; 5th September 2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 5th September 2019, 09:45 AM   #476
plague311
Great minds think...

I think you can believe in parts of something without endorsing all of it. Seems I'm alone in that.
Dood, what are you not understanding here? No one, literally, no one has made that claim. It's your strawman, kill it already. There has been ample evidence to show current day Nazi's DO support genocide. In fact, one of them even slaughtered a bunch of people in El Paso. Right?

Its not a question of being wrong.
You're right, it's you just being completely incapable of admitting it and doing everything in your power to avoid it.

It's a question of pedantry. Posters claim that if some dweeb sports a swastika or Pepe, he endorses genocide. Not from what I see. In the 21st century, anyway
How about the podcast referenced earlier where the guy literally points out current US neo-nazi and nazi groups that endorse genocide? Wow, just wow. I've never seen someone so against admitting they were wrong.

But yeah, keep up the handwaves.

Last edited by plague311; 5th September 2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 5th September 2019, 09:50 AM   #477
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

And the mother ******* point, which I feel people are purposefully missing is that THEY ARE KILLING PEOPLE. Jesus Christ. This handwaving nonsense is getting really old, really fast.

There is no factual basis in saying that white supremacy propaganda has NOT incited violence in the US. It's a lie, if you're repeating it, you're lying.

******* A. How is this not getting through? If you want to make excuses for white supremacists murdering people by saying they're just crazy, or whatever, the go right ahead. It's your reputation, knock yourself out.

I didn't say I didn't understand what he said, I said it was nonsense.
I think your conflating my point with Thermal's. I don't hand wave away the dangers of right wing extremism. These various right wing groups are radicalizing angry white young men with disastrous consequences while other groups pretend to be respectable in order to influence mainstream politics. It's an absolute crisis in our culture and politics.

I don't think criminalizing wrong think will be effective in eliminating right wing radicalism and will have disastrous downsides for everyone's civil rights. My position is that arming the government with these tools assumes that this right wing groups will never find themselves in control of said government. The best defense against abuse is a vigorous defense of civil rights, including 1A.

We can't wish right wing extremism away, nor lock up bad thoughts. This is a battle of ideas and culture, no one is going to ride in on a white horse and save us.
Old 5th September 2019, 09:56 AM   #478
plague311
Great minds think...

I think your conflating my point with Thermal's. I don't hand wave away the dangers of right wing extremism. These various right wing groups are radicalizing angry white young men with disastrous consequences while other groups pretend to be respectable in order to influence mainstream politics. It's an absolute crisis in our culture and politics.

I don't think criminalizing wrong think will be effective in eliminating right wing radicalism and will have disastrous downsides for everyone's civil rights. My position is that arming the government with these tools assumes that this right wing groups will never find themselves in control of said government. The best defense against abuse is a vigorous defense of civil rights, including 1A.

We can't wish right wing extremism away, nor lock up bad thoughts. This is a battle of ideas and culture, no one is going to ride in on a white horse and save us.
Reasonable. What you've said makes sense.

Let me frame this a different way. We've already, as a country, agreed that racism is not welcome here, right? We did away with slavery, Jim Crow, made race protected by the Constitution, etc. We are actively taking steps as a society against racism.

So why do we let people espouse that type of hate speech? In that sense, doesn't it seem contrary to the goal? What would we be losing if we were to not allow that speech? Now I don't believe I or Darat, he can correct me if I'm wrong, feel that any speak we don't like should be outlawed. I truly don't think that's the case.

However I, maybe not Darat, do not have any issue with this type of speech being added to a hate speech list. White Supremacists are already added to the Domestic Terrorism list, as we all know. So why can't their propaganda be outlawed the same as other terrorist speech?

Last edited by plague311; 5th September 2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 5th September 2019, 09:59 AM   #479
Thermal
Philosopher

Dood, what are you not understanding here? No one, literally, no one has made that claim. It's your strawman, kill it already. There has been ample evidence to show current day Nazi's DO support genocide. In fact, one of them even slaughtered a bunch of people in El Paso. Right?

You're right, it's you just being completely incapable of admitting it and doing everything in your power to avoid it.

How about the podcast referenced earlier where the guy literally points out current US neo-nazi and nazi groups that endorse genocide? Wow, just wow. I've never seen someone so against admitting they were wrong.

But yeah, keep up the handwaves.
Dude, my point is to not paint everyone with the same brush. They are not nearly so homogeneous as you and others think.

Some are genuinely bad news. Some are posers. Posers are a real thing. People like Darat equate the posers with the synagogue shooter. That's doing a disservice to the whole discussion. And it will shut down all possible communication to marginalize a dumb kid as a genocidal murderer. Keep it in perspective or no one wins.
Old 5th September 2019, 10:03 AM   #480
plague311
Great minds think...

Dude, my point is to not paint everyone with the same brush. They are not nearly so homogeneous as you and others think.

Some are genuinely bad news. Some are posers. Posers are a real thing. People like Darat equate the posers with the synagogue shooter. That's doing a disservice to the whole discussion. And it will shut down all possible communication to marginalize a dumb kid as a genocidal murderer. Keep it in perspective or no one wins.
Woah, where'd those goalposts go?!

So now you don't want us to paint all Nazi's and White Supremacists with the same brush? We have to differentiate them in our conversation?

Your initial claim is still that current day Nazi's don't support genocide. When faced with insurmountable proof that they do support genocide you've now changed to "I just meant different factions of Nazis and White Supremacists."

You're still making excuses, and it's so transparent it would be funny if it weren't so sad. That person became a genocidal murderer because he was radicalized and filled with hate by Nazism and White Supremacy ideals. Those ideals led him to want to wipe out Jews. There is none, zero, nada evidence that he would have killed anyone if not introduced to those ideals, which, again, encourage genocide of people.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events