ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags transgender incidents , transgender issues , transgender rights

Old 29th June 2019, 04:10 PM   #401
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
This thread is about the intersection of physical attributes, self-perception of gender, and gender roles in society.

You seem to be trying to pick out the thread of gender roles in society, but the problem is that you can't really do this without unraveling the whole tapestry.
My view is that gender roles in society can cause a conflict with the self perception of gender.
Societal pressure to conform to the boy/girl gender roles, can cause problems with the people who just dont feel as if they are a part of that.
Gender, hard to define or something.

The moment you start to change your body to conform though, I dont think thats a gender issue anymore.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 08:56 PM   #402
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

This thread is about the intersection of physical attributes, self-perception of gender, and gender roles in society.
So a trans-woman is just a cis-male who wants to stay home with the kids? Whodathunk!
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 10:16 PM   #403
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Nope.

Everything else is just figuring out what that means and whether it's actually true.
I know what the thread's about because I started it, and the only purpose of the thread was to state that trans women are not women.

That's unchallengeable - they don't have a uterus or ovaries and they are not, and will never be, women.

That's it. The thread's drifted into all sorts of bollocks, which is fairly demonstrable by the fact that the same arguments have been going on for 50-something pages with no sign of consensus.
Old 30th June 2019, 06:04 AM   #404
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I know what the thread's about because I started it, and the only purpose of the thread was to state that trans women are not women.
Much like how Jesus would be totally unsurprised at how Christianity turned out.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 01:28 PM   #405
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Much like how Jesus would be totally unsurprised at how Christianity turned out.
I didn't claim to be surprised what happened happened, but the fact is the thread is simply about trans women not being women. I'm not even bothered about the drift into irrelevancy - it displays perfectly why there will never be an answer to the "problem" of where trans people sit* in society. We have two sides implacably opposed to the other's position. Instead of trying to reach a happy compromise, both sides have become more and more entrenched.

It's a beautiful mirror for politics.

And for the record, yes, I think Jesus would be shocked at what's done and said in his name. That's why he let himself be nailed to a tree, according to the script I read.

He just wasn't a very good psychic and didn't see what Saul of Tarsus was going to do.

*Yes, I did use it deliberately.
Old 1st July 2019, 12:44 PM   #406
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

And another very good reason why trans women can't be women - they do not menstruate.

https://theconversation.com/period-p...bout-it-118824

Trans women will never need to try to figure out which product to use, will never pay the sales tax on them, will never enrich the corporations behind menstrual products, and will never be able to claim they need time to deal with period pain or have to rush to the shops to buy new panties when an accidental overflow occurs.
Old 1st July 2019, 01:00 PM   #407
d4m10n
Illuminator

And another very good reason why trans women can't be women - they do not menstruate.
Neither does my mother-in-law.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 01:20 PM   #408
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Neither does my mother-in-law.
What an idiotic reply - she obviously used to. The fact that she's post-menopausal doesn't mean her input is either invalid or useless.

Exactly unlike a trans woman's opinion.
Old 1st July 2019, 01:44 PM   #409
d4m10n
Illuminator

What an idiotic reply - she obviously used to. The fact that she's post-menopausal doesn't mean her input is either invalid or useless.
I have no idea why you'd assume someone's input is invalid or useless just b/c they've never personally suffered from the subject under discussion. Do we tell pacifists to shut up unless they happen to be combat veterans?
Old 1st July 2019, 02:53 PM   #410
BrooklynBaby
Muse

The silence of the "feminists" while men are winning women's sporting events is hilarious.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 03:25 PM   #411
p0lka
Graduate Poster

https://theconversation.com/period-p...bout-it-118824

Trans women will never need to try to figure out which product to use, will never pay the sales tax on them, will never enrich the corporations behind menstrual products, and will never be able to claim they need time to deal with period pain or have to rush to the shops to buy new panties when an accidental overflow occurs.
Transwomen aren't women, Transmen arent men, thats arguing about sex.

I feel gender is the complicated topic, not sex.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 05:01 PM   #412
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I have no idea why you'd assume someone's input is invalid or useless just b/c they've never personally suffered from the subject under discussion. Do we tell pacifists to shut up unless they happen to be combat veterans?
Terrible analogy. Can a non-combatant speak to the personal effect of war injuries? No.

If you haven't been under fire, you have no idea what it's like, so therefore your input would be completely invalid.

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
The silence of the "feminists" while men are winning women's sporting events is hilarious.
Have you been asleep for a few years, mate? There are numerous examples in the thread and elsewhere of feminists not being at all silent on the subject, then being labelled TERFS for not playing along with the trans agenda.

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Transwomen aren't women, Transmen arent men, thats arguing about sex.

I feel gender is the complicated topic, not sex.
And I feel the attempt to make the two different is absurd. The myth is that biology is interchangeable.

A Dutch bloke recently went to court to change his age from 60 to 40, because he identifies as a 40-year-old.

The court rightly threw it out.

It's an identical situation. Or, you could go ask Rachel Dolezal how things worked out for her.

The more this whole sorry saga goes on, the more it looks like a squeaky wheel syndrome that could, and should, be safely ignored.

I think I'm going to take my emotional support flamethrower and insist that I be referred to as a teapot from now on. I'm full of tea, virtually never put any liquid not tea into me, and I can make a jolly fine teapot shape with my arms. I'm pretty sure I have a tea strainer that won't look too much like a yarmulke if I wear it on my head - I don't identify as Jewish, even with more of it that Liz Warren has Native American.

I will be Mr Teapot - my gender/sex/cisness is not an issue.
Old 1st July 2019, 05:26 PM   #413
d4m10n
Illuminator

If you haven't been under fire, you have no idea what it's like, so therefore your input would be completely invalid.
If what you're trying to say is that there were no transwomen in the cross-sectional survey of 32,748 women discussed in the article you linked, well, yeah. Obviously. If you're trying to say that transwomen are different from ciswomen in the sense that one group is at risk of menstrual cycles and pregnancy, again, you're simply stating the obvious. When transwomen activists demand access to women's spaces so they can properly dispose of feminine hygiene products, we will return to this point.

Last edited by d4m10n; 1st July 2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 1st July 2019, 05:41 PM   #414
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That's unchallengeable - they don't have a uterus or ovaries and they are not, and will never be, women.
Seriously? You started a thread just to say that transwomen don't have vaginas? And now you're back to yell at us for not leaving it at that?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 05:56 PM   #415
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Seriously? You started a thread just to say that transwomen don't have vaginas? And now you're back to yell at us for not leaving it at that?
Damn right - and get the **** off my lawn while you're at it.

I'm actually more amused than annoyed.

But do try to explain to me how any trans woman wanting to be classed as an actual woman is in any way different to Rachel Dolezal and her blackness.

I've said an enormous number of times that if anyone wants to progress the issue instead of arguing the toss over bloody toilets, or some mythical idea of how biology and four billion years of evolution works, take a leaf out of the Pasifika handbook and just have a third gender.

Not a perfect answer for everyone? Write a sternly-worded letter to your local newspaper. Or even better, Tweet endlessly about it.
Old 1st July 2019, 06:49 PM   #416
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Basically this thread is "When I use the word 'woman' I mean by it X Y and Z" only with a different X.Y and Z for each person.

Sent from my Moto C using Tapatalk
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 07:01 PM   #417
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Basically this thread is "When I use the word 'woman' I mean by it X Y and Z" only with a different X.Y and Z for each person.
It's worse than that.

Speaking only for myself, I intend to convey a different meaning (using the exact same word) when I say "women's reproductive health," "women's clothes," and "women's sports."
Old 1st July 2019, 08:33 PM   #418
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Only three choices? Bit limiting.
Old 1st July 2019, 08:36 PM   #419
BrooklynBaby
Muse

I think I've got it:

War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
Men are Women
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 08:38 PM   #420
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I think I've got it:

War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
Men are Women
Perfect.

You can close the thread now - nobody's going to improve on that.
Old 2nd July 2019, 12:33 AM   #421
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

That's it. The thread's drifted into all sorts of bollocks, which is fairly demonstrable by the fact that the same arguments have been going on for 50-something pages with no sign of consensus.
There's a thread in science about how rockets don't work in the vacuum of space. But it's also about conservation of momentum, fluid dynamics, rocket science in general, and some other issues.

You started a conversation. That doesn't mean you define it.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 01:25 AM   #422
JihadJane
not a camel

Silence? Maybe you need to get some hearing aids! There is a huge, transnational feminist campaign against this.
Old 2nd July 2019, 02:11 AM   #423
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

I think I've got it:

War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
Men are Women
Hmmm... the desperate resort to the Orwell reference. That is just about the level for this thread.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 03:14 AM   #424
Belz...
Fiend God

Terrible analogy. Can a non-combatant speak to the personal effect of war injuries? No.

Rubbish. One of the unique characteristics of humans is that we can draw experience from others. Obviously that means we can then discuss it.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:00 AM   #425
Francesca R
Girl

Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
Silence? Maybe you need to get some hearing aids! There is a huge, transnational feminist campaign against this.
I imagine that the post may have been trying to say that: "feminists" have been completely ineffective and durr hurr serves the bleating wretches right yar boo what they need is a darn good **** anyway right? Dunno though.
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 07:00 AM   #426
d4m10n
Illuminator

WaPo article relevant to the broader conversation:

https://twitter.com/tmamone/status/1146054398663122945
Old 2nd July 2019, 08:00 AM   #427
caveman1917
Philosopher

All hail the progressive bourgeoisie!
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 08:17 AM   #428
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
All hail the progressive bourgeoisie!
Are you trying to make an argument against anything in particular?
Old 2nd July 2019, 08:21 AM   #429
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Hope springs eternal.

If we explain it just one more time, the other side will get it, surely.
Exactly.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 08:46 AM   #430
caveman1917
Philosopher

Are you trying to make an argument against anything in particular?
Not so much making an argument as expressing a certain sentiment against a certain aspect of the liberal worldview. An argument for which can certainly be defended but which I don't particularly have the intention of doing so, especially since it would take us too far off track for this thread. Perhaps the sentiment can best be expressed by the following:

Conservatives: "Ten white men should own half the planet!"
Liberals: "No! Five of them should be women, and maybe one of them should be black!"
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 08:55 AM   #431
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Camille La Paglia, darling of the intellectual dork web (as I believe they like to term themselves) said "In Texas, unlike the urban Northeast, men are men."

So if men in the Urban Northeast are not men, what are they, I wonder.

Old 2nd July 2019, 09:24 AM   #432
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Camille La Paglia, darling of the intellectual dork web (as I believe they like to term themselves) said "In Texas, unlike the urban Northeast, men are men."

Or, alternately, is it just possible to suggest that in common language usage the word 'man' might be used in more than one way (even within the same sentence) without someone invoking 1984?

Old 2nd July 2019, 10:48 AM   #433
Lithrael
Graduate Poster

Since the thread is stupid anyway, Iíll use the space to pontificate a little.

Though I hella support 90% of the transgender stuff I see, I have to admit I have a hard time really imagining it cause I donít identify very strongly with my gender. If I woke up tomorrow and the world started misgendering me Iíd pretty much just be a little baffled. Would people make fun of me for looking feminine? That would be pretty ironic! But I canít imagine Iíd really try to put my foot down on the issue of my real gender. Itíd be so much easier to play along. I could get a shorter haircut. I already have a unisex name, which is handy. Iíd probably feel a little more self conscious about being short and quick to cry. Iíd need the exact same amount of help from acquaintances in picking out clothes other people would find reasonable on me. And knowing everyone sees me as a dude would probably be a confidence boost. Iíd love knowing straight guys who hang out with me definitely arenít holding out any romantic hopes.

In private Iíd probably tell people I was close to that I was really a woman. I donít think itíd bother me if they scoffed or thought I was being weird or lying to them. Itíd just be whatís true anyway. Iím incapable of doubting it so I donít think Iíd be knocked off base or anything. Itíd just be weird. Relationships would be a little harder but I like unusual people anyway so Iím sure I could work with it.

But what I CAN imagine is what a pain in the ass all that would be if I really cared, if I loved makeup and dresses, or if I just really loved being female as part of my identity. For me, thereís... really nothing to give up. But if there was? I canít feel it myself but I can imagine it. Itís got to be ridiculous. Like the world just doesnít believe you about something so ridiculously true. Like what the **** do you care that much what my gender is that youíre gonna contradict me on it? THAT part I can sympathise with.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 02:25 PM   #434
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Also wonder where that spare "La" came from in Paglia's name...

Old 2nd July 2019, 07:01 PM   #435
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Not so much making an argument as expressing a certain sentiment against a certain aspect of the liberal worldview. An argument for which can certainly be defended but which I don't particularly have the intention of doing so, especially since it would take us too far off track for this thread. Perhaps the sentiment can best be expressed by the following:

Conservatives: "Ten white men should own half the planet!"
Liberals: "No! Five of them should be women, and maybe one of them should be black!"
Ultra-Conservative: "Women are **** when compared to men!"

SJW: "The best woman is a washed up, white, former male, and decathlete, who once appeared on a reality show!"

Me: "Not really seeing the difference at this point."
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 02:10 AM   #436
JihadJane
not a camel

Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
Since the thread is stupid anyway, Iíll use the space to pontificate a little.

Though I hella support 90% of the transgender stuff I see, I have to admit I have a hard time really imagining it cause I donít identify very strongly with my gender. If I woke up tomorrow and the world started misgendering me Iíd pretty much just be a little baffled. Would people make fun of me for looking feminine? That would be pretty ironic! But I canít imagine Iíd really try to put my foot down on the issue of my real gender. Itíd be so much easier to play along. I could get a shorter haircut. I already have a unisex name, which is handy. Iíd probably feel a little more self conscious about being short and quick to cry. Iíd need the exact same amount of help from acquaintances in picking out clothes other people would find reasonable on me. And knowing everyone sees me as a dude would probably be a confidence boost. Iíd love knowing straight guys who hang out with me definitely arenít holding out any romantic hopes.

In private Iíd probably tell people I was close to that I was really a woman. I donít think itíd bother me if they scoffed or thought I was being weird or lying to them. Itíd just be whatís true anyway. Iím incapable of doubting it so I donít think Iíd be knocked off base or anything. Itíd just be weird. Relationships would be a little harder but I like unusual people anyway so Iím sure I could work with it.

But what I CAN imagine is what a pain in the ass all that would be if I really cared, if I loved makeup and dresses, or if I just really loved being female as part of my identity. For me, thereís... really nothing to give up. But if there was? I canít feel it myself but I can imagine it. Itís got to be ridiculous. Like the world just doesnít believe you about something so ridiculously true. Like what the **** do you care that much what my gender is that youíre gonna contradict me on it? THAT part I can sympathise with.
Please define the following words:

Transgender
Old 3rd July 2019, 05:39 PM   #437
p0lka
Graduate Poster

I don't really understand why the T is part of the LGBT?

The LGB part are fighting against conformity, in the sense of 'Don't tell me who I should be attracted to, I'm gonna be who i want and not conform.'

The T bit is all about conforming,
'ooh I feel like a girl so I have to look like a girl',
or, 'I feel like a boy so i have to look like a boy',

or more generally, 'I want to conform to a gender role, so I need to fit in with that gender role',

Why is the T treated the same as the LGB? They're coming from completely different positions?
LGB ... don't care I'll do what I want..
T... I need to conform..I need to conform...form...m.
Old 3rd July 2019, 06:11 PM   #438
BrooklynBaby
Muse

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
I don't really understand why the T is part of the LGBT?

The LGB part are fighting against conformity, in the sense of 'Don't tell me who I should be attracted to, I'm gonna be who i want and not conform.'

The T bit is all about conforming,
'ooh I feel like a girl so I have to look like a girl',
or, 'I feel like a boy so i have to look like a boy',

or more generally, 'I want to conform to a gender role, so I need to fit in with that gender role',

Why is the T treated the same as the LGB? They're coming from completely different positions?
LGB ... don't care I'll do what I want..
T... I need to conform..I need to conform...form...m.
Every T is G, as far as I can tell. But, there are probably exceptions.
Old 3rd July 2019, 06:18 PM   #439
JihadJane
not a camel

Such as transmen, perhaps!
Old 3rd July 2019, 06:21 PM   #440
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

You are not up on your modern lexicon.

A male bodied T would be someone with a male body, but a female gender identity, i.e. a transwoman. According to the modern notions, then that person is really and truly a woman, despite having a penis. So, if that person is attracted to men, then that makes the male-bodied T a heterosexual woman, and therefore certainly not G, nor even L. If "she" is also attracted to women, she could be a B, but that would be true regardless of T status.

There will be a quiz on this, possibly in the HR office, or at a hate speech trial if you live in Britain.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events