ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd June 2018, 06:16 PM   #1
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Remote control for MS Media player?

Does anyone know of an inexpensive such thing? I don't mean simply a wireless mouse, but one where I could control media player from a distance with a remote control device with basic stuff like volume control and skip to next song (etc - like basic TV remote functions for a DVD player). It would be nice to have my laptop set up with a playlist and have it going in the background for a party but be able to quickly and easily change volume, skip a song, mute etc.
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2018, 05:48 AM   #2
Dabop
Muse

I had one years ago which was an ebay one, I assue there must be something like it still around (this was on an XP system that was my media server) it looked like a tv remote, had a round keypad/buttons thing for mouse movement, and all the usual play/stop/skip to next item button

was about $15 at the time

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2018, 05:57 AM   #3
Dabop
Muse

Look up MCE remotes, eg here from amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Contr..._&dpSrc=detail

dont know if it or any work with win10

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin

Last edited by Dabop; 24th June 2018 at 05:59 AM.
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 08:54 AM   #4
Wudang
BOFH

There are android and iphone apps that claim to do this. Not tried any, sorry.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 09:24 AM   #5
BowlOfRed
Graduate Poster

If you have an extra remote control, you can buy a FLIRC usb device. It's an IR receiver and you can map the remote control buttons to keyboard buttons.

I've seen folks that had problem using genuine windows media center remotes with it, but if you're using a generic remote control, it seems to work.

https://flirc.tv/more/flirc-usb
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2018, 08:19 PM   #6
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Appreciate the replies, will check these out
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 12:18 AM   #7
EvilBiker
Graduate Poster

I've actually just bought this device for couch surfing.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet