ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd May 2018, 09:16 AM   #1
Apathia
Illuminator

Windows Update Disaster

I've heard the stories. it just never happened to me, till today.

Windows Update. I selected Update and Shut Down. When I turned on my PC this morning it did the usual updating and getting your PC ready stuff.
However it through up a blue screen that asked me my keyboard type. OK.I selected U.S. Stuff stated happening, but then it came another blue screen giving me the option to continue with "Windows Rollback" or restoring to the previous update. "Rollback" simply got me back to the same selections. So I chose previous Windows 10 5. it was never able to complete the process with that. It was unable to load the desktop or the windows file system.

It's old 4 years, and I don't have back up disks or whatever. Fortunately I have my newer laptop.

I suppose It could be repaired, but I don't want to spend the bucks on it.

It was a Lenovo btw.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2018, 09:31 AM   #2
Wudang
BOFH

I got through a couple of horrid windows updates by repeated cycles of power on, try to recover, walk away, come back, restart. Sometimes the recovery is incremental.
Old 22nd May 2018, 09:41 AM   #3
plague311
Great minds think...

You can try going through the system restore back as far as you can. If it's a Lenovo it probably has built in recovery in it. You'd have to look up the model number but most of them have a factory reset built into them. I think Lenovo's is called "OneKey" or something.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2018, 10:24 AM   #4
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
You can try going through the system restore back as far as you can. If it's a Lenovo it probably has built in recovery in it. You'd have to look up the model number but most of them have a factory reset built into them. I think Lenovo's is called "OneKey" or something.
I found I had no system restore points at all. It used to be that one's were made automatically when updates.

I'll look into the factory reset possibility.

Oops! Don't have a desktop and operable start menu.

Author Unknown

Last edited by Apathia; 22nd May 2018 at 10:31 AM.
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2018, 11:00 AM   #5
Wudang
BOFH

Okay with Lenovo when you power it on you can hold down F8 (usually) and get a boot menu with restore options. Problem is this usually wipes your hard drive. You could try to find someone with a windows boot disk (if they exist) or use a Linux image from CD or USB stick to recover your files first.
Old 22nd May 2018, 11:04 AM   #6
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post

Windows Update. I selected Update and Shut Down. When I turned on my PC this morning it did the usual updating and getting your PC ready stuff.
However it through up a blue screen that asked me my keyboard type. OK.I selected U.S. Stuff stated happening, but then it came another blue screen giving me the option to continue with "Windows Rollback" or restoring to the previous update. "Rollback" simply got me back to the same selections. So I chose previous Windows 10 5. it was never able to complete the process with that. It was unable to load the desktop or the windows file system.

It's old 4 years, and I don't have back up disks or whatever. Fortunately I have my newer laptop.

It was a Lenovo btw.
Same thing happened to me this morning. It wouldn't roll back the bad install. I'm in the midst of a fresh install from usb drive.

At one point before installation puked, it said "we're taking care of everything".
Old 22nd May 2018, 11:12 AM   #7
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

It was a Lenovo btw.
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Same thing happened to me this morning. It wouldn't roll back the bad install. I'm in the midst of a fresh install from usb drive.

At one point before installation puked, it said "we're taking care of everything".

Double ouch!
That really is awful, I have taken my home machine through multiple updates and so many work machines.
However while Windows 10 is very stable it does have some bizarre flubs.

In looking through web links, Microsoft is very unhelpful.

I am sorry to read this
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2018, 11:55 AM   #8
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Looks like you're not the only one

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...te_woes_redux/
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2018, 12:08 PM   #9
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

A different Win10 woe here? 20 mins ago this desktop announced it "really needed" to install some updates. I went for "choose a time", being happy to leave it on overnight. Every time I chose was ignored and it kept defaulting back to 10:45 pm or whatever. Eventually all the options greyed-out. Now it's telling me it can't do certain things because I'm logged in, and it's only 10:10 pm here.

MS ... we know you are the Lords of the Universe, but do you have to keep crapping on our heads to prove it?
Old 22nd May 2018, 12:15 PM   #10
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

It was a Lenovo btw.
It's unlikely that your computer needs to be repaired, other than a software fix. You can do a new install of windows, assuming you have access to another computer where you can download it to a USB drive. Here's a link.
Old 22nd May 2018, 12:36 PM   #11
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Looks like you're not the only one

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...te_woes_redux/
Yep! That's it. But it doesn't have anything to do with Avast. I don't have that installed on that PC.

Author Unknown
Old 22nd May 2018, 12:46 PM   #12
Apathia
Illuminator

It's unlikely that your computer needs to be repaired, other than a software fix. You can do a new install of windows, assuming you have access to another computer where you can download it to a USB drive. Here's a link.
Thanks. Reading the comments about the how two video for the download, I see that kind of rabbit hole I detest where the solution doesn't work and the work arounds don't work.

It does look like a reinstall of Windows Ten is the salvation for this PC

Author Unknown
Old 22nd May 2018, 12:49 PM   #13
Apathia
Illuminator

it said "we're taking care of everything".
Thanks Microsoft!

And thank my self for having a working back up comp.

Author Unknown

Last edited by Apathia; 22nd May 2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 22nd May 2018, 01:33 PM   #14
mgidm86
Illuminator

That's scary. I'm still Win 7 and I can't bring myself to install Win 10 on anything. I was going to try it on a test machine but after reading and remembering the update problems - bleh!

And I remember similar issues with iPhones and Apple, so this isn't just a MS thing. Half the time I update my phones OS it fails. I stopped updating it years ago - same old phone.
Old 23rd May 2018, 05:01 AM   #15
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
That's scary. I'm still Win 7 and I can't bring myself to install Win 10 on anything. I was going to try it on a test machine but after reading and remembering the update problems - bleh!

And I remember similar issues with iPhones and Apple, so this isn't just a MS thing. Half the time I update my phones OS it fails. I stopped updating it years ago - same old phone.
If you still have Windows 7 then it will cost you to update to Windows 10. Do not bother. Yes, it is better. But wait until you buy a new computer then it will have Windows 10 already installed.

Thanks for this thread. Making a restore drive now. My computer will want to do the April update soon.
Old 23rd May 2018, 07:57 AM   #16
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

I had an automatic update on my computer a few days ago, presumably Microsoft, which took quite a long time and which I could not avoid, and I now find the sound on YouTube has completely gone. There is technical information and various downloads on Google about the problem but none of it works for me. I don't suppose anybody on this forum has any bright ideas to put it right? I usually get a relation to help me sort things out when I have any serious problems with the computer.

Last edited by Henri McPhee; 23rd May 2018 at 07:58 AM.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2018, 08:08 AM   #17
Wudang
BOFH

Is it only youtube? Do other videos from other sites (eg bbc news) work? If you play a CD do you get sound?
Old 23rd May 2018, 08:19 AM   #18
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
I had an automatic update on my computer a few days ago, presumably Microsoft, which took quite a long time and which I could not avoid, and I now find the sound on YouTube has completely gone. There is technical information and various downloads on Google about the problem but none of it works for me. I don't suppose anybody on this forum has any bright ideas to put it right? I usually get a relation to help me sort things out when I have any serious problems with the computer.
That happened to me months ago. A later update fixed it. It's been fine for months.

In the interim, I used Chrome to watch Youtube vids.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2018, 08:46 AM   #19
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Yuck,
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/22...us-version.htm

This article says you can get into the advanced start and chose roll back.

Microsoft's excuses are quite the lame mountain

"To enter the ASO screen, restart your PC and press F11 as soon as it starts powering up before it gets to display the Windows logo. If you missed this window, restart the PC again and repeat the move until you manage the ASO screen. If you can't access the ASO, check the website of your PC maker - some change the F11 default key to something else.

Once you've accessed the ASO screen, select Advanced Options > Go back to previous build. Windows should restart, roll back to the previous version before the buggy update, and start fresh.

To avoid the hassle, however, those with PCs equipped with the aforementioned Intel SSDs are advised to wait for a fix from Microsoft and only then install the latest update. Microsoft is expected to patch things up soon, but no timeline is available at this point."
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2018, 07:23 PM   #20
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Yuck,
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/22...us-version.htm

This article says you can get into the advanced start and chose roll back.

Microsoft's excuses are quite the lame mountain

"To enter the ASO screen, restart your PC and press F11 as soon as it starts powering up before it gets to display the Windows logo. If you missed this window, restart the PC again and repeat the move until you manage the ASO screen. If you can't access the ASO, check the website of your PC maker - some change the F11 default key to something else.

Once you've accessed the ASO screen, select Advanced Options > Go back to previous build. Windows should restart, roll back to the previous version before the buggy update, and start fresh.

To avoid the hassle, however, those with PCs equipped with the aforementioned Intel SSDs are advised to wait for a fix from Microsoft and only then install the latest update. Microsoft is expected to patch things up soon, but no timeline is available at this point."
I tried that, No work.

Author Unknown
Old 23rd May 2018, 08:18 PM   #21
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

At the risk of sounding like a broken record and being perceived as a troll, it's because of crap like this that I use Linux. Yes, Linux can break too, but when it does you can at least restart into single user mode and you have a decent chance of fixing it.

I continue to be astonished at the amount of pain Microsoft can cause its users and they just keep coming back for more.

Apathia, if you want to give Linux a try on the computer that is no lnoger working with Windows, I recommend Linux Mint.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2018, 10:00 PM   #22
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Peculiar!

This last major update was a big one, took about an hour and a half to get through, though I don't like some of the new versions of the Apps it has installed, everything else seems fine and overall function is faster (surprisingly). I feel for those who are having problems but, so far, Win10 has actually been much better than any of Windows earlier incarnations (though I needlessly fought against installing it initially).
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 08:30 AM   #23
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

I tried that, No work.
I thought that was the case, this roll out has bricked many a machine.
I am sorry
Old 24th May 2018, 08:53 AM   #24
Wudang
BOFH

It may not be F11 on all machines. For some motherboards it's escape etc. On some Lenovos it's f8.
Old 24th May 2018, 01:50 PM   #25
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
Mrs. RoboTimbo had the same thing happen. I had to go into Devices and enable a device that had been disabled and then changed the sound output from headphones to speakers.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 05:58 PM   #26
Apathia
Illuminator

"We've got an update for you."

Windows 10 now wants to update my laptop.
I don't dare let it! This update killed my PC.
Is there a way to prevent the update?

Author Unknown
Old 24th May 2018, 07:14 PM   #27
Apathia
Illuminator

Couldn't prevent it updating. But as luck would have it, providence intervened and I won the karma lottery. The update was swift and didn't gimp my laptop.

Blessed be the fruit!

Author Unknown
Old 25th May 2018, 03:59 AM   #28
Wudang
BOFH

My PCs have been lucky but my wife's Dell and my kid's Lenovo Yoga both had BSODs and other problems with big updates. The yoga I ended up having to open up to disconnect the battery to force hard reboots.
Old 25th May 2018, 04:39 AM   #29
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Just updated my computer with the April update without problems. With one at work it took two hours to boot up. Mind you that one was a slow computer.
Old 25th May 2018, 06:08 AM   #30
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-d...l-2018-update/

This will show you how to delay Windows 10 updates for Pro or prevent them if you have Home edition.
Old 25th May 2018, 10:04 PM   #31
Apathia
Illuminator

Thanks again. I got it back using the USB install. Fortunately I could access the Task Manager and run the install app from that.

Now I'm waiting for that update to come knocking again to see if it will screw up my PC again.

Author Unknown
Old 26th May 2018, 07:03 AM   #32
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Our Win10 machine in the other room has now been installing an update for a full hour and says it is 30% done. This thread has me worried.
Old 26th May 2018, 09:50 AM   #33
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Our Win10 machine in the other room has now been installing an update for a full hour and says it is 30% done. This thread has me worried.

That's typical. If it hasn't finished by now, the update has gone south and taken your computer with it.

Author Unknown
Old 26th May 2018, 10:16 AM   #34
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

It appears to have survived!
Old 26th May 2018, 12:44 PM   #35
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Apple is offering me an update of my OS from 10 to 12. I almost did it yesterday then thought about all those times an updated OS left many drivers and other software programs unusable (like every time I've ever upgraded an OS ). So I stopped just short of hitting 'install'.

But the trade off is my computer is no longer getting security upgrades because they aren't compatible with OS 10.
Old 26th May 2018, 07:15 PM   #36
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

I went a different rout.

I got a fast mini USB drive for thirty bucks.

Went to the App Store and downloaded, not updated, the latest Mac OS from
the right side of the main page. (It'll ask if you want to update, but that dialog
box can be dismissed. Still a back up with time machine might be a good idea,
just in case.)

The install program requires changing the target drive, spending hour
for the installation and creating a new account. Of course, if I need to do
anything on the main drive, I have to switch back to it through System
Preferences Startup Disk panel and that takes a few minutes.

A flash drive isn't going to be as fast as the main drive, and do mind
the location of saved files. You almost need a third drive for holding
those files when swapping between systems, if you work with a mix
of Linux, Mac OS, and Windows 10.

P.S. I wonder, is it possible to get earlier versions of Mac OS? Not sure.
Old 26th May 2018, 07:32 PM   #37
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

That's typical. If it hasn't finished by now, the update has gone south and taken your computer with it.
Not this particular update. It was about an hour to shut down and do the initial portion of the upgrade, then another 30/40 minutes to restart. It seems to have been a massive upgrade of all sorts of features I don't care about, but I've had trouble with upgrades crashing midstream so I sat through it regardless of the fact that I was nodding off an wanted to go to bed. Win10 doesn't seem to allow your screen to go black during an upgrade; previous versions did and the OS would sometimes then shut down, so I guard it assiduously (like a computer newb, or so you pros will say).

@Arth... since I changed my settings and now have a password to get through, I load from "off" in two minutes and a couple of seconds. I'm anal retentive so I check these sorts of things. Prior to resetting my MS password (which I wound up doing inadvertently when I had to create a new Google/GMail password) it took upwards of five minutes but with different behavior on different days. I have no idea why it's faster now. It may be that it does things in a certain order and skipping the login steps allowed it to go off in all directions.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 07:34 PM   #38
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
I went a different rout.

I got a fast mini USB drive for thirty bucks.

Went to the App Store and downloaded, not updated, the latest Mac OS from
the right side of the main page. (It'll ask if you want to update, but that dialog
box can be dismissed. Still a back up with time machine might be a good idea,
just in case.)

The install program requires changing the target drive, spending hour
for the installation and creating a new account. Of course, if I need to do
anything on the main drive, I have to switch back to it through System
Preferences Startup Disk panel and that takes a few minutes.

A flash drive isn't going to be as fast as the main drive, and do mind
the location of saved files. You almost need a third drive for holding
those files when swapping between systems, if you work with a mix
of Linux, Mac OS, and Windows 10.

P.S. I wonder, is it possible to get earlier versions of Mac OS? Not sure.
I probably should buy another Time Machine or get the one I have to work. Long story, but in short, my desktop went dark and instead of switching the Time Machine over to my laptop I had parallel issues I thought was the Time Machine but I think it was only that I needed to reset my modem. So I switched my routers around and did a bunch of other stuff before figuring out the problem. In the meantime the Time Machine remains disconnected.

I should do something though.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 26th May 2018 at 07:35 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2018, 07:38 PM   #39
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Not this particular update. It was about an hour to shut down and do the initial portion of the upgrade, then another 30/40 minutes to restart. It seems to have been a massive upgrade of all sorts of features I don't care about, but I've had trouble with upgrades crashing midstream so I sat through it regardless of the fact that I was nodding off an wanted to go to bed. Win10 doesn't seem to allow your screen to go black during an upgrade; previous versions did and the OS would sometimes then shut down, so I guard it assiduously (like a computer newb, or so you pros will say).

@Arth... since I changed my settings and now have a password to get through, I load from "off" in two minutes and a couple of seconds. I'm anal retentive so I check these sorts of things. Prior to resetting my MS password (which I wound up doing inadvertently when I had to create a new Google/GMail password) it took upwards of five minutes but with different behavior on different days. I have no idea why it's faster now. It may be that it does things in a certain order and skipping the login steps allowed it to go off in all directions.
Old 26th May 2018, 08:11 PM   #40
Apathia
Illuminator

I'm being threatened by another update.

I just followed Alfanier's advice (#30).

To quote Aimless T, "We'll see what happens."

I'll wait a month before allowing an update.

Author Unknown

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet