ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Stylus touch screen

Old 24th June 2018, 08:01 AM   #1
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Stylus and touch screen: 'write to type' program interface ?

My Hunton/Peck system of keyboarding leaves a lot to be desired. Digital dexterity and the lack thereof makes it very frustrating. And I've never felt more retarded than when trying to use a cell phone. I use a thumb-ball mouse too, but a tremor and hand damage inhibits fine functions.

So I'm thinking a combination of a touch screen, a drawing program, and OCR ? Maybe it can learn to read my handwriting- I can't.
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2018, 12:42 PM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The Apple Newton was not a great success.

I did have a sort-of text recognition system on a Palm Pilot. Then they went and changed it on the next model, making it significantly worse. Turned out they had stolen the original version.

ETA: Just Googled.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 24th June 2018 at 12:43 PM.
Trebuchet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2018, 02:11 PM   #3
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

Way back when (late 80's to 90's) in trying out our new data acquisition hardware (National Instruments) and software (LabVEIW for Windows). I made a quick app that slaved the pen of a plotter to the computer mouse. Click the mouse once and it puts the pen to the paper, click again and it lifts the pen but the paper and pen always moved as you moved the mouse.

Last edited by The Man; 24th June 2018 at 02:12 PM.
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 08:51 AM   #4
Wudang
BOFH

I have vague memories of OneNote being able to OCR handwritten notes. I'm busy just now and don't have time to wade through all the features MS have pulled from what was a great product.
Old 25th June 2018, 12:13 PM   #5
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Have I ever mention GKOS? It's a "chord" keyboard system. Use eight fingers total, in combinations, gives all the keys without removing fingers from home row.

I made two handpieces with 4 micro swtiches each. Held them in my hands, typed away. Practiced until I could type "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog". At which point the muscles to lift my fingers cramped up. Maybe I just need new handpieces with stronger return springs, let the spring push my fingers away?
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 12:21 PM   #6
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
I have vague memories of OneNote being able to OCR handwritten notes. I'm busy just now and don't have time to wade through all the features MS have pulled from what was a great product.
OCR is not hard to find, Tesseract is a Ubuntu ap, and I think I see OCR in my computer somewhere now. PDF maybe?

But I would also need a touch screen with a drawing program, C&P from draw to OCR, then C&P again to "quick reply". Add edit and spellcheck in there somewhere.

My forearms are stiff today, somehing I dd yeaterday. I don't even rermember wht.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet