ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th June 2018, 01:35 PM   #1
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

I need my (wired) PC to be wireless for a week or two. Is this do-able?

My PC plugs into the router for an internet connection, but I am about to vacate the room before blitzing it, and the room I am moving to doesn't have cable access to the (wireless) router. My computer isn't geared up for a wireless internet connection. Is there an easy plug-and-play way out of this?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 01:36 PM   #2
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Wireless USB dongles. Ten bucks.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 01:39 PM   #3
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

There's such a thing? Excellent. Thanks.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 01:41 PM   #4
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

yep. Just type those exact words in to google or your favorite online store and you'll get lots of options.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 01:42 PM   #5
BowlOfRed
Graduate Poster

That's it. Although I will say that the cheapest ones I've used tended to have more distance/strength issues than my laptop.

If the room you're going to has marginal WiFi strength on your laptop, might want to check reviews and make sure a lot of people are happy with it.

I will say even the absolute cheapest thing on the shelf at Fry's has worked for me (just not as well in marginal conditions).
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 01:50 PM   #6
Lothian
should be banned

link
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 01:51 PM   #7
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

I just need to send a few emails and stay in touch on a couple of forums. I have no idea what the specifications of the variations options mean, and they vary in price from 8 to over 50. Picking one at random, would this do what i need it to do? I'll be next door to the room with the router, and my wife's PC picks up the signal well from 50 metres away in the garden.

Last edited by MikeG; 25th June 2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 25th June 2018, 02:01 PM   #8
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Most likely. Do you know if your wireless hub supports 802.11ac? Pretty likely it does.

Old 25th June 2018, 02:04 PM   #9
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Post your wireless hub model if you can find it.

Old 25th June 2018, 02:08 PM   #10
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
And its password too while you're at it.
For... reasons.

(we'll get to banking details after you're set up, no hurry. )

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 03:01 PM   #11
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Should be fine, dual band means it will work with older routers but if your router is new enough to have 5GHz (and odds are it will be) it can connect at the faster speed. If you have an older house with thick walls then the signal might degrade traversing over a couple of rooms so you might want to consider (you can check this with your mobile phone of course) where the router and PC are in relation to each other.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 09:04 PM   #12
Elagabalus
Illuminator

30 metres of Cat 6 Ethernet cable*. Amazon. Buy!

*It will always be faster than wireless.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 11:10 PM   #13
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
It's a new router, less than 6 months old. A BTHub4 (Type A)-36ZW. I can't answer your other question.
Old 25th June 2018, 11:58 PM   #14
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

There are wireless USB adapters. They ran about $30 five years ago, I am sure they are cheaper now if you can find them.I have a Belkin, has worked fine since the day I plugged it in.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 06:28 AM   #15
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
It's a new router, less than 6 months old. A BTHub4 (Type A)-36ZW. I can't answer your other question.

That hub supports 802.11ac, b, g, and n. So you can pretty much get the fastest USB dongle you want to pay for. Wouldn't expect any compatibility problems.

Old 26th June 2018, 07:11 AM   #16
Wudang
BOFH

I'd recommend you go with the dongle but .....

for people who have other problems instead of running a cable you can use powerline adaptors. I recommend "passthrough" models like these as plugging directly into the wall gets round various odd problems with surge-protected power strips etc.
Overkill in your case - more for others browsing the thread.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 07:22 AM   #17
Worm
Master Poster

Agree with the above.

Wireless Dongle is the way to go for short term (though I once used one as a main connection for about a year).

Powerline is more reliable for longer use. My home mail/web server sits at the end of a Powerline connection and it's pretty rock solid.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 07:46 AM   #18
TheGnome
Thinker

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
I'd recommend you go with the dongle but .....

for people who have other problems instead of running a cable you can use powerline adaptors. I recommend "passthrough" models like these as plugging directly into the wall gets round various odd problems with surge-protected power strips etc.
Overkill in your case - more for others browsing the thread.
Hamradio operators just "love" them. As I'm not one of these, my opposition to them is based more on priciple.

But anyway MikeG is from the UK where they use a tri-phase power system (I think). In that case the outlets used should be connected to the same phase or the system might not work so good. After a hasty purchase he might discover he's not among the lucky ones.

So I also propose an USB wifi dongle, or even cable.
TheGnome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 08:46 AM   #19
CORed
Philosopher

For a permanent installation, I would recommend an expansion card (plugs into the motherboard) over a USB dongle, but for the OP's purposes, a USB dongle is better (powerline is also a good option). Wireless works fine for internet access. A wired connection is best if you are going to copy large files within the local network.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 08:48 AM   #20
Wudang
BOFH

Also UK - we don't normally* use 3 phase for domestic use. The key requirement is that both need to be on the same ring. This is typical of relatively modern houses.
I have powerline to my study but rarely use it for my work laptop as wifi is solid enough for most purposes apart from the occasional reverification of my VPN. My main use was for streaming movies from my NAS and not hogging the wifi but moved the NAS down to the main TV and have a direct connection now.

But often enough it is worth mentioning, so yes. What was my point again?
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 08:52 AM   #21
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
What was my point again?
That MikeG should be making his own dongle from scrap hardwoods. I hear Brazilian Ipe is particularly good for wifi dongles, while White Oak works better for bluetooth dongles.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 09:16 AM   #22
Wudang
BOFH

Pshaw! http://dilbert.com/strip/1990-12-14
Old 26th June 2018, 09:53 AM   #23
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
That MikeG should be making his own dongle from scrap hardwoods. I hear Brazilian Ipe is particularly good for wifi dongles, while White Oak works better for bluetooth dongles.
Old 26th June 2018, 09:55 AM   #24
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Thanks all. Much appreciated.

The through-the-ring-main thing would work if the ring main was connected in the old part of this house. That'll be in a couple of weeks time when I've finished the work which is forcing me to move out of my office. So, a dongle it is.
Old 26th June 2018, 09:48 PM   #25
Aber
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
The How To video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUS0zNQPB5I

Making A Wooden USB
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 11:19 PM   #26
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
The How To video:

Making A Wooden USB
By the time you have made that, usb capacity will have increased and it will be gathering dust along side the 64mb SD card you still keep for some inexplicable reason.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 01:38 PM   #27
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
The How To video:

Making A Wooden USB
I think this one's prettier and the video doesn't have the cringe-inducing fingers in the bandsaw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3HORWDUY0M
Old 28th June 2018, 01:10 AM   #28
Wudang
BOFH

Keeping your fingers attached is left as an exercise for the learner.
Old 28th June 2018, 12:41 PM   #29
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Dongle works, as evidenced by this post. I can now move out of this room and strip it ready for plastering. Yay!!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet