ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th July 2018, 08:38 AM   #41
Hevneren
Thinker

Happy to help!
Hevneren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 02:27 AM   #42
calebprime
moleman

I'll play around with it some more today. Barring anything ususual, we're done.

We could post the source code -- I like the idea of open source. There's a very small chance that someone else needs something similar.

It seems to me that Hevneren met all requests and did it faster than fast -- so is entitled to full payment. Let's arrange for that today as well.

I've been wealthy, I've been broke. If being wealthy means that you can pay people to help you instead of them calling you crazy, well, wealthy is better.

It's perhaps ironic that the prestige of so-called serious music has declined as various kinds of computer calculation has become available -- maybe because people are less impressed with anything now that can be solved by computer. Problems that seemed difficult turn out to be almost trivial.
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 02:34 AM   #43
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
It's perhaps ironic that the prestige of so-called serious music has declined as various kinds of computer calculation has become available -- maybe because people are less impressed with anything now that can be solved by computer. Problems that seemed difficult turn out to be almost trivial.
My experience over 35 years is that as simple problems get solved people use the freed up brain power to conceive of more complex problems.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 02:51 PM   #44
GodMark2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
My experience over 35 years is that as simple problems get solved people use the freed up brain power to conceive of more complex problems.
My experience over <mumble-mumble> years is that people don't have a clue what "difficult" means.

Also, there's an xkcd for that
Old 11th July 2018, 01:32 AM   #45
Wudang
BOFH

Yep, we apparently had someone turn down a developer job with us as his pal told him what we were doing was "impossible". It's complicated yes.

Taking data from proprietary medical systems which use Read codes, their own standards, SNOMED etc and mapping it all to FHIR/HL7.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2018, 02:31 AM   #46
Lothian
should be banned

Taking data from proprietary medical systems which use Read codes, their own standards, SNOMED etc and mapping it all to FHIR/HL7.
You appear to have hit some random capital letters making your sentence unintelligible.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2018, 02:41 AM   #47
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
You appear to have hit some random capital letters making your sentence unintelligible.
If you think that's unintelligible you should see my code.
Old 11th July 2018, 03:08 AM   #48
Hevneren
Thinker

If you think that's unintelligible you should see my code.
I had a colleague like that. He was the only one who knew the business domain and the app, so he was impossible to fire.
Hevneren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2018, 03:16 AM   #49
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Hevneren View Post
I had a colleague like that. He was the only one who knew the business domain and the app, so he was impossible to fire.
TBH my code here is pretty pedestrian. I got converted to literate programming in java years back so now almost no comments and my methods all have names like convertLocalCodeToUniversalCode() etc. With a decent IDE prompting me for known method names it's very easy.
And I'm learning medical infomatics from scratch - that's hard work.
Old 12th July 2018, 07:09 PM   #50
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

I got my first plugin working in Juce! You can do it! Still VERY fuzzy on the c++, it was all trial and error, but yours looks doable
Old 16th July 2018, 09:54 AM   #51
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Lothian
While I don't know most of those, I do know what HL7 is: "Health Level 7". It's a (commerical) standard for medical devices to exchange information about patients and associated events, essentially; for example, "Patient X was admitted", "Patient Y had an X-Ray, here's where it's stored". So what Wudang is talking about is taking medical data from something using unique standards and translating it to something other manufacturer's devices can (hopefully) understand.

Problem, at least when I was involved with it about 10 years ago, is that it suffers from the common problem with standards: ambiguity. So, as a result, there are (or were) commercial applications that translated from one manufacturer's notion of HL7 to another's. The application I was involved had, essentially, rules like that for producing HL7 output. Unfortunately I don't recall the details.

It doesn't sound like an impossible job, although there'd be a lot of detail to make sure everything was complete. There may also be edge cases where information isn't complete, but as I understand it HL7 is pretty flexible in that regard.

grmcdorman, who spent 17 years as a software developer at a medical imaging company
Old 17th July 2018, 03:28 AM   #52
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by grmcdorman View Post
Problem, at least when I was involved with it about 10 years ago, is that it suffers from the common problem with standards: ambiguity. So, as a result, there are (or were) commercial applications that translated from one manufacturer's notion of HL7 to another's. The application I was involved had, essentially, rules like that for producing HL7 output. Unfortunately I don't recall the details.

It doesn't sound like an impossible job, although there'd be a lot of detail to make sure everything was complete. There may also be edge cases where information isn't complete, but as I understand it HL7 is pretty flexible in that regard.

grmcdorman, who spent 17 years as a software developer at a medical imaging company
True at several levels. We make a lot of use of extensions (codeable concepts in FHIR) but still sometimes have real problems. Examples are some FHIR classes require mandatory fields and these may not be available from the source data. Plus each system has its own ontology (pretentious, moi?) and one will see, say, measles as a person's illness whereas another will see measles as a condition which yadda yadda. Some have key metrics like say dosage and units embedded in text which is fun.
The sponsor of the charity is an ex-GP who made a fortune starting a medical informatics company so he knows the issues which helps a lot.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet