IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags favorite books , recommended books

Old 16th September 2020, 08:59 PM   #561
PPL
Critical Thinker

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Lynne Kelley, The Memory Code Recommended.

Erskine Childers, The Riddle of the Sands (Fourth time!) Also recommended. Best read with Google Maps open.
Gosh darn it, that sounds like something that would interest me. In fact -

https://i.postimg.cc/W4RXFPwv/IMG-20...050309-159.jpg

I'm always looking for new (to me) and interesting things to read and so that can go in the pile.
PPL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 07:14 AM   #562
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Originally Posted by PPL View Post
Gosh darn it, that sounds like something that would interest me. In fact -

https://i.postimg.cc/W4RXFPwv/IMG-20...050309-159.jpg

I'm always looking for new (to me) and interesting things to read and so that can go in the pile.
Available free in an epub format here:

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2360
Old 17th September 2020, 07:30 AM   #563
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

The Design of Everyday Things by Don Norman. I read the previous edition. The current edition is worth the extra read.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 10:19 AM   #564
PPL
Critical Thinker

Available free in an epub format here:

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2360
Thanks for the link.
PPL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 01:13 PM   #565
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

To Kill a Mockingbird.

I know this was required reading in many junior high/middle schools. While I can see parts of it are accessible, I can also see that a lot of the nuance would easily be missed by readers of that age. There were some things that went by me (at this age) as well. I had to look up several words, mostly Southern vernacular, that I had no idea what they meant. One of them didn't even show up in a Google search that would fit in context, which I found particularly baffling.

It's a long book, which as an adult I really like. I don't recall if I did read it in school, but I did have the visuals in my head from having seen the movie only once.
Old 17th September 2020, 01:28 PM   #566
xterra
So far, so good...

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
The Design of Everyday Things by Don Norman. I read the previous edition. The current edition is worth the extra read.

The Pencil, by Henry Petroski, 1990. He also wrote The Evolution of Useful Things, 1992.

Last edited by xterra; 17th September 2020 at 01:29 PM.
xterra is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 03:25 PM   #567
Elagabalus
Philosopher

...I leave it to you to decide what to make of the example you posted.

Oakland is indeed over the Bay Bridge from San Fran. (considered vulgar by native San Franciscans and not to be used).

There are only two acceptable variants.

Oakland is indeed over the Bay Bridge from San Francisco.

Oakland is indeed over the Bay Bridge from The City.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 08:39 PM   #568
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Oakland is indeed over the Bay Bridge from San Fran. (considered vulgar by native San Franciscans and not to be used).

There are only two acceptable variants.

Oakland is indeed over the Bay Bridge from San Francisco.

Oakland is indeed over the Bay Bridge from The City.
How about "'Frisco"?
Old 18th September 2020, 06:19 AM   #569
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

Face It: A Memoir by Debbie Harry - A fascinating woman.
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 08:17 AM   #570
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I recommend anything that Petroski wrote. To Engineer is Human is quite good.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 12:05 PM   #571
JerryGarcia
Graduate Poster

I'm reading a page of Finnegan's Wake every day. It's hard to find a stopping place. And hard to recall what happened the previous day. Might be a fool's errand on my part.

I'm reading a book of short stories by Gary Amdahl called Visigoth about men with bad tempers.

And I am working on Other Minds: The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness I really enjoyed Soul of an Octopus when I read it a few years ago and wanted something along the same lines
Old 19th September 2020, 08:23 PM   #572
PPL
Critical Thinker

The First Forty-Nine Stories by Hemingway.
I'll reread a few until I decide what's up next.
Old 20th September 2020, 06:31 AM   #573
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I finally picked up the last Star Wars paperback that's been on my shelf for years - Visions of the Future. At Page 1 I discovered it's a sequel to Spectre of the Past. Sigh...

I had to order that one from eBay. I'm several chapters into it now and although it follows the EU continuity of the previous books (many of which I have read), there is virtually no connection to Episodes 7, 8, and 9. Or 1, 2, and 3, for that matter. It was written in 1997 and the prequels came out in 1999. Han and Leia have twins (boy and girl) and a younger son they named Anakin. So far I've enjoyed it more than either the prequels or the sequels.
Old 20th September 2020, 06:23 PM   #574
Pope130
Illuminator

Just started Project Moonbase and Others by Robert Heinlein.

It's a collection of scripts, screenplays, story proposals, and production notes for the early '50s Science Fiction anthology series Ring Around the Moon. Only the pilot was filmed, which would have been a two-parter in the series. When the series was turned down the pilot was re-edited into a theatrical release as Project Moonbase.

It provides an interesting look into the television production process of that time, and into Heinlein's' thinking.

I think it would have been a great series, had Heinlein gotten what he wanted onto the screen.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2020, 06:41 PM   #575
PPL
Critical Thinker

The Selected Works of Cesare Pavese.
Old 21st September 2020, 09:01 AM   #576
Naval Diplomat
Student

The Last Odyssey--James Rollins (Audiobook)
Naval Diplomat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2020, 07:54 AM   #577
Fellow Traveler
Master Poster

Miss Emma Holmes Diary

A lady living in South Carolina during the Civil War writes a very readable diary and she reports some big time rumors about Lincoln and others. Page 241 of her book printed by LSU press repeats a tale she heard about Lincoln and the source is pretty doubtful. I repeat it here to show the kinds of myths people accept when in a war. A former member of John H Morgans raiders claimed to have grown up close the Lincolns and told this story. A woman named Hanna Hanks had Abe by a poor shiftless type named Abraham Inlow and later on married a man named Lincoln....Says Inlow was caught at the Lincoln house a big fight emerged where biting etc occured. From this situation Abe Linclon was sent by his mother to live with Mrs. McBride, who gave him the rudiments of education. He ran away from this to work boats on the Mississippi where we join the real history.....
To make up such a story eg the missing years of Christ just fill with whatever you please...
Old 25th September 2020, 03:26 AM   #578
catsmate
No longer the 1

The current pile:
Gary R Varner - The Mythic Forest, the Green Man, And the Spirit of Nature
Eric Gerald Stanley - Imagining the Anglo-Saxon Past
Raven Kaldera - Power Circuits - Polyamory in a Power Dynamic
Sir Alistair Horne - The Fall of Paris; The Siege and the Commune 1870-71
Miranda Jane Aldhouse-Green & Val McDermid - Bog Bodies Uncovered
Sheila Fitzpatrick - Everyday Stalinism - Ordinary Life in Extraordinary Times; Soviet Russia in the 1930s
Philip Ward, Julia Edwards - The Book of Common Fallacies
John M. Barry - The Great Influenza - The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History
Janice Blake - The Battalion Artist - A Navy Seabee's Sketchbook of War in the South Pacific, 1943–1945
Stross Charles - Laundry Files 9 - The Labyrinth Index
Erich S. Gruen - The Last Generation of the Roman Republic
Gareth C Sampson - Rome - Blood and Politics in the Late Republic 133–70 BC
James Herriot - All Creatures Great and Small
James Herriot - All Things Bright and Beautiful
James Herriot - All Things Wise and Wonderful
James Herriot - The Lord God Made Them All
Andrew Cook - Ace of Spies - The True Story of Sidney Reilly
Tim Fanning - The Salamanca Diaries: Father McCabe and the Spanish Civil War
Maurice Walsh - G2: In Defence of Ireland: Irish Military Intelligence 1918-45
Tom Frame - The Life and Death of Harold Holt
Peter H. Goodrich & Raymond H. Thompson - Merlin - A Casebook
Barry Whelan - Ireland’s Revolutionary Diplomat - A Biography of Leopold Kerney
Jesse Bering - Perv: The Sexual Deviant in All of Us
Dave Robinson - Doc Vandal 1 - Against the Eldest Flame
Dave Robinson - Doc Vandal 2 - Air Pirates of Krakatoa
Dave Robinson - Doc Vandal 3 - Attacked Beneath Antarctica
Also D. M. Greenwood's Theodora Braithwaite series. Clerical Errors, Unholy Ghosts, Idol Bones, Holy Terrors, Every Deadly Sin, Mortal Spoils, Heavenly Vices, A Grave Disturbance, Foolish Ways.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 05:27 AM   #579
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

The Mirror and the Light, the third part of the Wolf Hall trilogy by Hilary Mantel. It's an e-book checked out from the local library, and I have a week to finish it and I'm only half-way through. Not sure if I'm going to make it; I'll either have to apply to check it out again (there's a waiting list, and they limit the number of copies being read at any one time) or buy it for the Kindle.

Anyway, very good, a fascinating look into the mind of King Henry VIII's fixer.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 07:05 AM   #580
ericlawson2001
New Blood

"The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" I have seen a sherlock serries played by Jeremy Brett, and soon got flattered and decided to know more about it and when google I found the book over amazona and downoaded and it's like heartfilling experience. Just began reading, more things discover.
ericlawson2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 07:15 AM   #581
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Rage. Nothing new, but still very informative.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 03:39 PM   #582
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
The Mirror and the Light, the third part of the Wolf Hall trilogy by Hilary Mantel. It's an e-book checked out from the local library, and I have a week to finish it and I'm only half-way through. Not sure if I'm going to make it; I'll either have to apply to check it out again (there's a waiting list, and they limit the number of copies being read at any one time) or buy it for the Kindle.

I have Diarmaid MacCulloch's biography of Cromwell on order from Amazon. I may give Mantel's trilogy a look after I finish MacCulloch's book, but, I dunno...I used Amazon's "Look Inside" feature on "Wolf Hall," and I noticed the book is written in 3rd person present tense, something that kind of annoys me. That's just a personal preference, of course, and it may be I could get past it- I have with some novels where the plot carried me along sufficiently (Black House, by Stephen King and Peter Straub, for one).

Presently reading All The Great Prizes, a biography of American statesman John Hay, by John Taliaferro. (Sigh) Politics was probably just as cutthroat in the late 19th-early 20th century, but it surely at least seems like it was more gentlemanly.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2020, 04:55 PM   #583
metacristi
Muse

Robert Irwin - For Lust of Knowing. The Orientalists and their Enemies

Edward Said's central theme* (widely used by the 'progressives' of today**) is seriously flawed, although Europeans are far for being innocent.

* Western scholarship about the Eastern World is inextricably tied to the imperialist societies who produced it

** one of the causes that it is so difficult to criticize Islam today

ibn Warraq - Why I am not a Muslim

Knight Tube: Brendan O'Neill on identity politics

Last edited by metacristi; 3rd October 2020 at 05:17 PM.
metacristi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2020, 12:36 PM   #584
Lennart Hyland
Muse

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post

I've started reading it this summer and are about half way through, so good work I'm reading it in english and there are alot of words I need to check up since its not my native language.

But very enjoyable book so far. I dread the chapters where Cromwells fall begins.

Unfortunately the 911truth movement web site does not allow any opinions contrary to their own, or I would have presented my views. David Scott - CTBUH Chairman
Lennart Hyland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 03:06 AM   #585
PPL
Critical Thinker

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
Old 9th October 2020, 07:22 AM   #586
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

“The Neuroscience Of Intelligence” by Richard Haier.

Pretty interesting... Haier starts out with some of the history of intelligence research, and I’m currently on the chapter exploring how modern imaging techniques have affected research in the field.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 07:29 AM   #587
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The Demon in the Machine by Paul Davies
Old 9th October 2020, 12:58 PM   #588
JerryGarcia
Graduate Poster

The tin drum
Old 9th October 2020, 03:03 PM   #589
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Dune
Old 9th October 2020, 04:17 PM   #590
xterra
So far, so good...

Michael Brooks, At the Edge of Uncertainty, 2014.
Old 12th October 2020, 02:09 AM   #591
Naval Diplomat
Student

Lynne Kelley, The Memory Code Recommended.

Erskine Childers, The Riddle of the Sands (Fourth time!) Also recommended. Best read with Google Maps open.
These look like some future reads...Thanks! I've just recently finished up The Last Odyssey by James Rollins on Audiobook.
Naval Diplomat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2020, 07:02 AM   #592
KayBur
New Blood

This year has been amazingly productive for me in reading. Now I am finishing up "The Count of Monte Cristo", and the purchased 8 volumes from the series of adventure novels are already waiting for me. I had read many of them earlier, but I could not help purchasing such a series. Therefore, I will re-read already familiar works.
KayBur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 12:33 PM   #593
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Just finished The Good Shepherd by C.S. Forester. Started The Three-Body Problem. I think I'm pretty late to that party.
Old 15th October 2020, 05:42 PM   #594
PPL
Critical Thinker

The last couple of short stories in 'Nabokov's Dozen.'
He had a better grasp of the English language than I do.
Old 21st October 2020, 11:56 PM   #595
PPL
Critical Thinker

The Harder They Fall by Budd Schulberg.
Old 29th October 2020, 10:55 PM   #596
PPL
Critical Thinker

The Emperor of Paris by C.S. Richardson

'Like his father before him, Octavio runs the Notre Dame bakery and knows the secret recipe for the perfect Parisian baguette. But, also like his father, Octavio has never mastered the art of reading and his only knowledge of the world beyond the bakery door comes from his own imagination. Just a few streets away, Isabeau works out of sight in the basement of the Louvre, trying to forget her disfigured beauty by losing herself in the paintings she restores and the stories she reads. The two might never have met, but for a curious chain of coincidences involving an impoverished painter, a jaded bookseller, and a book of fairytales, lost and found...Evocative, romantic, and wise, this is a magical novel about the power of stories - to help us find enchantment, freedom, and sometimes even love.'

The rare occasion when I stop reading a book halfway through. There's nothing wrong with it other than not being my bag(uette).
Old 1st November 2020, 07:52 PM   #597
PPL
Critical Thinker

The House of Ulloa by Emilia Pardo Bazan.

'A rich and unforgettable tragic-comic novel of sexual intrigue and political scheming,*The House of Ulloa* is one of the greatest works of nineteenth-century Spanish literature.'

Oh yeah?
Old 2nd November 2020, 08:54 AM   #598
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

T. E Shaw's translation of The Odyssey of Homer & Andrew Roberts' Churchill, Walking With Destiny. I am also reading once again The Seven Pillars of Wisdom, something that I find myself doing every few years...

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2020, 10:01 AM   #599
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The Old Man and the Sea.

I was inspired to finally read this because I'd gotten The Young Man and the Sea from a Little Free Library and read that last summer. I think this book would have had more impact if I'd not read the other one first, as much of the seafaring adventure is inspired by the older book. The other one was more of a young adult novel, with much of the angst one might expect from that sort of thing.

I also made it a point to skip the Introduction (which I usually read), which was fortunate. Spoilers!! I learned my lesson on my first read of Lord of the Flies many years ago when a major plot point was discussed as being all "allegorical" and stuff. That's fine, but save it for the afterword, jerkwad. Maybe somebody hasn't read this book before.

It was a nice, short story but I can't say it's had any impact on my life as a "great book". I do have to admit some affinity for Hemingway because although I've never read him before, I'm fond of absinthe and have even been told a few times that I resemble him.

Last edited by alfaniner; 5th November 2020 at 10:04 AM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2020, 11:38 AM   #600
Wudang
BOFH

My favourite Hemingway for some reason is A Moveable Feast, snippets of his life in Paris and his thoughts.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts