IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd September 2016, 08:28 PM   #1
deadrose
Illuminator

Another mall shooting

This one even qualifies by FBI standards. Four people confirmed dead, gunman on the loose, in Skagit County north of Seattle.

http://www.kiro7.com/news/north-soun...mall/449595663
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2016, 08:40 PM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
This one even qualifies by FBI standards. Four people confirmed dead, gunman on the loose, in Skagit County north of Seattle.

http://www.kiro7.com/news/north-soun...mall/449595663
I'm about a mile from there, or a bit less, right now. I'm here to hurl pumpkins, but this really puts my silly hobby problems in perspective. Hope they catch the guy soon but it doesn't sound promising.
Old 23rd September 2016, 08:44 PM   #3
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm about a mile from there, or a bit less, right now. I'm here to hurl pumpkins, but this really puts my silly hobby problems in perspective. Hope they catch the guy soon but it doesn't sound promising.
If you need to establish an alibi I can say we were chatting in PM during the relevant time period. I mean, I could say that... for a small remuneration.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2016, 08:56 PM   #4
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Must be Friday in the USA...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2016, 08:59 PM   #5
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

From channel 7.

Quote:
A person claiming they are the shooter at Cascade Mall is on phone with police, crisis negotiation teams per our reporter @GaryKIRO7
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2016, 09:02 PM   #6
deadrose
Illuminator

Shooter's been described as early 20's Hispanic, so I think that rules Trebuchet out.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2016, 09:24 PM   #7
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
Shooter's been described as early 20's Hispanic, so I think that rules Trebuchet out.
It's an all purpose alibi. Who knows what else might be going on?

ETA: That channel 7 reporter just said the police helicopter had a FLIR unit and a "tractor" beam. WTH? The cops have Star Trek technology now? He also mentioned the heat signature could allow police to follow footprints in the parking lot.

I'm a little doubtful about the reporting here.

Last edited by marplots; 23rd September 2016 at 09:26 PM.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2016, 10:08 PM   #8
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Bound to be ISIS till they can rule it out
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:04 PM   #9
deadrose
Illuminator

And they've just revised the death count down to 3, with 2 injured people. One of those was severe enough to be transported to the nearest Level 1 trauma center, so I'm guessing that's the person they thought was dead at first. Hope they survive.
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:29 PM   #10
deadrose
Illuminator

Now they're reporting 4 dead, all women, and the injured man at Harborview (the trauma center).
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:51 PM   #11
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It has the feel of a domestic murder because the guy shot several people in one store then fled.

This was reported by one witness:
Quote:
An unidentified witness said the shooter was yelling a woman's name while he was shooting in the Macy's department store at Cascade Mall in Burlington, Washington, according to an unconfirmed report on Facebook. Three women were reported as the fatal victims in the shooting, which took place about 65 miles north of Seattle.
Very sad.
Old 24th September 2016, 04:39 AM   #12
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
An unidentified witness said the shooter was yelling a woman's name while he was shooting in the Macy's department store at Cascade Mall in Burlington, Washington, according to an unconfirmed report on Facebook. Three women were reported as the fatal victims in the shooting, which took place about 65 miles north of Seattle.
Jeez, I hope her name wasn't Allison "Ally" Akbar.
Old 24th September 2016, 04:42 AM   #13
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Bound to be ISIS till they can rule it out
Not joking are you.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2016, 04:43 AM   #14
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Not joking are you.
Yes I am. And no I sadly aren't
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2016, 05:32 AM   #15
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

5 are dead; 4 women and 1 man. It seems that everyone who was shot is now dead.

There is a photo of the shooter from video. He will be identified.
Old 24th September 2016, 05:34 AM   #16
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

The alibi store is still open.
Old 24th September 2016, 05:56 AM   #17
Bogative
Graduate Poster

A man got killed also? Dammit. If this guy turns out to be a Muslim I'm not going to be able to blame this on misogyny, I'll have to revert back to guns.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2016, 05:59 AM   #18
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Rifle resembles a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin Model 60. Wooden stock.
Old 24th September 2016, 06:08 AM   #19
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

My pumpkin event has been cancelled. Absolutely the right call, of course.

Definitely sounds like something personal/domestic rather than terrorism or a random shooting.
Old 24th September 2016, 08:01 AM   #20
stanfr
Graduate Poster

Donald Trump supporters have immediately jumped to the conclusion that the 'hispanic' description is media created, and that the perp is definitely Middle Eastern...
guess we'll find out...
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2016, 08:18 AM   #21
Jules Galen
Banned

Rifle resembles a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin Model 60. Wooden stock.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tate-mall.html

Yeah...in the article above, they say the same as you do. I'm surprise no one has stated what caliber the gun was. Am I to suppose that the killer picked up his spent cartridges in an effort to be Eco-Friendly? (...or has spent Brass so expensive that he's become a very-frugal reloader)

The gun very well could have been a .22 - which are a lot more effective than people seem to give them credit for being. Especially since 2 quick shots from .22 rifle is equal to....a .44! What I think would be incredible was to find out the guy was using 22 shorts. OMG!
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2016, 08:21 AM   #22
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Both guns I mentioned are .22 caliber. But it is not guaranteed to be one of those two. It just looks like that.
Old 24th September 2016, 08:42 AM   #23
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Now reports that the shooter left the rifle in the store. Unconfirmed.

Shooter was yelling a woman's name. Unconfirmed.

Shooter called the police afterwards. Unconfirmed.
Old 24th September 2016, 09:17 AM   #24
Cain
Straussian

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, "Malls suck."
Old 24th September 2016, 10:22 AM   #25
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Rifle recovered at mall. Confirmed.

CNN: A critical lead in the case comes from security cameras footage, which captured the suspect initially appearing to enter the mall unarmed and -- about 10 minutes later -- walking into Macy's carrying a rifle.

Yelling out a name and calling the police remain unconfirmed.
Old 24th September 2016, 10:29 AM   #26
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Definitely sounds like something personal/domestic rather than terrorism or a random shooting.
Why is it "absolutely the right call"?
Old 24th September 2016, 10:37 AM   #27
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

What horrible timing, after you traveled there and set everything up, but I'm not surprised.
Old 24th September 2016, 10:38 AM   #28
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Burlington is a relatively small town. A celebratory mood would not be likely at such an event.
Old 24th September 2016, 10:55 AM   #29
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Burlington is a relatively small town. A celebratory mood would not be likely at such an event.
In addition to there being a killer on the loose and Treb is nearby.
Old 24th September 2016, 10:59 AM   #30
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Victims range in age from teen to senior.
Old 24th September 2016, 11:00 AM   #31
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

In addition to there being a killer on the loose and Treb is nearby.
This is America. There are killers on the loose all over the damn place.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2016, 01:20 PM   #32
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I doubt there is any connection from pumpkin killing to shooting up a mall.

Gun: there are wooden stocked ".22's" , center fire 22s, .223 Mini 14 is one. Not on anybody's assault rifle list. Not black, not plastic, no pistol grip, no flash hider, not an "Ugly Gun".
Old 24th September 2016, 01:26 PM   #33
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Actual news seems a bit light for something that happened 23 hours ago. Cops must be keeping secrets.
Old 24th September 2016, 01:27 PM   #34
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I doubt there is any connection from pumpkin killing to shooting up a mall.....
Who said there was?
Old 24th September 2016, 01:28 PM   #35
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Mini 14 or 30 was my first thought.

Sawed off shotgun was my second, based on how he's weilding it.

Only a fool fights in a burning house.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2016, 01:30 PM   #36
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Who said there was?
Where did I say there was, at least any more than WP when he said "In addition to there being a killer on the loose and Treb is nearby. ".
Old 24th September 2016, 01:34 PM   #37
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Actual news seems a bit light for something that happened 23 hours ago. Cops must be keeping secrets.
Secrets: Was it a personal thing- Hispanic wife's name Magdalena, or Arab name like Fatima? Shooter ID, secret so he doesn't know they are on to him. Latest update still say Hispanic, which might be a red herring. Of course, instread of being an Arab immigrant, he might be another one of those Mexican Illegals.

I doubt the gun was an "assault rife", they usually scream that loudly.

Last edited by casebro; 24th September 2016 at 01:36 PM.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2016, 01:35 PM   #38
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
In addition to what the others have said, there's the whole security issue. The cops are busy to the max, and you want to gather several thousand people in one place?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 24th September 2016, 01:37 PM   #39
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Where did I say there was, ...
The why did you feel the need to say this: "I doubt there is any connection from pumpkin killing to shooting up a mall....."?

Curious minds want to know.
Old 24th September 2016, 02:17 PM   #40
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Sounds more like they are doing their jobs properly

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events