IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags UK issues , uk politics

Closed Thread
Old 7th October 2021, 10:21 AM   #2081
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

This will probably come as no surprise at all, but ...

"Private hospitals treated a total of just eight Covid patients a day during the pandemic despite a multi-billion pound deal with the government to help stop the NHS being overwhelmed, a report reveals."

Full article
Old 7th October 2021, 10:24 AM   #2082
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

^ Just poppped in to post that one: yeah, absolutely no surprise at all.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 11:42 AM   #2083
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Tory MP Peter Bottomley has stood by comments he made about MPs struggling to get by and needing more pay.
The MP faced an angry backlash over the claims, with Labour accusing him of being out of touch.

But Sir Peter said the comments were part of a broader interview in which he also expressed concern about universal credit cuts.
He said he was trying to make the point that increasing MPs' salaries from the current average of just over £80,000 a year would make it easier to widen the pool of people interested in changing careers to become parliamentarians, without having to take a pay cut.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58830792
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 12:17 PM   #2084
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Tory MP Peter Bottomley has stood by comments he made about MPs struggling to get by and needing more pay.
The MP faced an angry backlash over the claims, with Labour accusing him of being out of touch.

But Sir Peter said the comments were part of a broader interview in which he also expressed concern about universal credit cuts.
He said he was trying to make the point that increasing MPs' salaries from the current average of just over £80,000 a year would make it easier to widen the pool of people interested in changing careers to become parliamentarians, without having to take a pay cut.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58830792
Are they the kind of people you want to attract?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 03:28 PM   #2085
Worm
Illuminator

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Are they the kind of people you want to attract?
That was my immediate reaction. I'm not sure that there is any evidence to show that increasing the pool of former company directors, hedge fund managers and Eton old boys slightly wider is really the transformative revolution that we need in our political system.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 12:31 AM   #2086
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Boris: "Otters are returning to rivers from which they have been absent for decades, beavers that have not been seen on some rivers since Tudor times are now back.

"Build back beaver," he says.
No comment.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 04:25 AM   #2087
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Just when we thought there were no Brexit Benefits we've seen the return of a fine old Great British Tradition™ that of crooks fleeing to the Costa del Sol when the heat is on. How many years was Ronnie Biggs out there? Maybe Johnson should aim for that record rather than Thatcher's years in office.

boris-johnson-jets-holiday

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 04:52 AM   #2088
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Ronnie was in Brazil.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th October 2021, 02:42 AM   #2089
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Ronnie was in Brazil.
My mistake, but thank you. I know the Costas were the usual place and was too lazy to research past my somewhat hazy memory!

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th October 2021, 03:29 AM   #2090
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

nvm.

Last edited by The Don; 11th October 2021 at 03:30 AM.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th October 2021, 03:30 AM   #2091
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if Boris Johnson will declare a fair value for the accommodation he is receiving from Zac Goldsmith.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th October 2021, 11:26 AM   #2092
KDLarsen
Illuminator

I thought some might like this.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 02:02 PM   #2093
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Matt Hancock tweeted

@MattHancock
Honoured to be appointed United Nations Special Representative.
I’ll be working with the @UN @ECA_OFFICIAL to help African economic recovery from the pandemic and promote sustainable development.
Old 12th October 2021, 02:03 PM   #2094
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Today it was announced that his response to the pandemic was the worst public health crisis in memory.

Now he's put in charge of a whole continent’s economic recovery.
Old 13th October 2021, 12:38 AM   #2095
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Today it was announced that his response to the pandemic was the worst public health crisis in memory.

Now he's put in charge of a whole continent’s economic recovery.
It gets even worse when you read stuff like this

Quote:
The UN under secretary general, Vera Songwe, said Hancock’s “success” in handling the UK’s pandemic response was a testament to the strengths he would bring to the role.
Succes?!
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 12:44 AM   #2096
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Hancock was actually pretty quick off the mark in ordering large quantities of several different vaccines (whose efficacy was not yet known), and then had the good sense to leave the actual rollout of them to the people who knew how to do it.

It's just about the only thing he, and indeed the current government, did get right.
Old 14th October 2021, 04:19 AM   #2097
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

News story saying Truss and Raab are going to 'share a house'

It's a 115 room mansion!
Old 15th October 2021, 06:12 AM   #2098
ohms
Graduate Poster

Tory MP David Amess has been stabbed at a constituency surgery:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58929453
Old 15th October 2021, 07:37 AM   #2099
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by ohms View Post
Tory MP David Amess has been stabbed at a constituency surgery:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58929453
Fatally.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2021, 08:12 AM   #2100
Lothian
should be banned

It is a shame. He was a timeless campaigner against drugs. He even asked a question in parliament on cake.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2021, 08:45 AM   #2101
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
It is a shame. He was a timeless campaigner against drugs. He even asked a question in parliament on cake.

I AGREE
That's how I remember him. An idiot. Though I wasn't aware of his (later retracted) Weinstein-related comments.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2021, 09:22 AM   #2102
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Wonder if it was an assassination?
Old 15th October 2021, 11:12 AM   #2103
ohms
Graduate Poster

I see the murder has it's own thread:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=354843
Old 16th October 2021, 04:45 AM   #2104
Parsman
Muse

Matt Hancock tweeted

@MattHancock
Honoured to be appointed United Nations Special Representative.
I’ll be working with the @UN @ECA_OFFICIAL to help African economic recovery from the pandemic and promote sustainable development.
If it wasn't before, Africa is ********d if little Matty is getting involved.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2021, 05:17 AM   #2105
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
If it wasn't before, Africa is ********d if little Matty is getting involved.
https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/sta...13761622380550

Quote:
Matt Hancock UN appointment “not taken forward”, UN spokesman tells UN news organisation Pass Blue
Old 16th October 2021, 05:23 AM   #2106
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Are we surprised he mucked-up his own job? It seems to be pretty much the definition of his “career”.
Old 16th October 2021, 05:34 AM   #2107
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Whoops.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2021, 07:10 AM   #2108
Parsman
Muse

Alas poor Matt, Africa barely knew you!

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2021, 10:03 AM   #2109
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

The line given on PM just now is something to do with sitting MPs not being able to take up such jobs...Unlike all those other jobs sitting MPs manage to do on top of their supposedly hugely demanding job in Westminster for that paltry salary of £80+k and all those expenses.

Nice to know that the UN has some better standards than our Parliament...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th October 2021, 04:34 AM   #2110
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Wasn’t Gordon Brown a UN rep whilst still an MP?

He was indeed. Special envoy in 2012, MP until 2015.

I think they binned him off. I don’t believe his statement.
Old 17th October 2021, 05:23 AM   #2111
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

^ Apparently Brown was allowed to be a UN envoy as he'd announced his intention to leave Parliament at the next election, as he duly did. Hancock has said he has no intention of giving up his £80k+ and all his housing expenses paid sinecure and wanted to showboat for the UN while we carried on paying for the useless ******.
Old 18th October 2021, 08:28 AM   #2112
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Hey guys.

Honoured to have been appointed United Nations Special Representative - oh wait, just had an email...

Ah, 'We regret to inform you we will not be taking your appointment forward.'

Ahem. Well I didn't want the post anyway, as there is a little known rule that says I am not allowed to, anyway. Somewhere.

<sfx> smashing plates, screaming, crying.

Old 18th October 2021, 01:14 PM   #2113
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
^ Apparently Brown was allowed to be a UN envoy as he'd announced his intention to leave Parliament at the next election, as he duly did. Hancock has said he has no intention of giving up his £80k+ and all his housing expenses paid sinecure and wanted to showboat for the UN while we carried on paying for the useless ******.
I'm shocked and surprised.

To learn that Hancock seems to have told the truth.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th October 2021, 01:37 PM   #2114
junkshop
Muse

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I'm shocked and surprised.

To learn that Hancock seems to have told the truth.
I'm sure he's deeply ashamed, and will endeavour not to repeat his mistake.
Old 19th October 2021, 04:32 AM   #2115
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Why do I think the cost of having Heat Pumps installed will rise by £5000
Old 19th October 2021, 05:50 AM   #2116
wobs
Master Poster

Why do I think the cost of having Heat Pumps installed will rise by £5000
Aside from the fact that they won't be effectve for a sizeable portion of UK houses. Ours for an eg. is a solid walled Edwardian house in a conservation area, so will be pretty useless.

Forgive my naivity, but heat pumps have long been rejected by those in the know for most homes, and its generally been the consensus that we'll be injecting hydorgen into the gas network to lower the carbon footprint of heating our homes.
Old 19th October 2021, 05:58 AM   #2117
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wobs View Post
Aside from the fact that they won't be effectve for a sizeable portion of UK houses. Ours for an eg. is a solid walled Edwardian house in a conservation area, so will be pretty useless.

Forgive my naivity, but heat pumps have long been rejected by those in the know for most homes, and its generally been the consensus that we'll be injecting hydorgen into the gas network to lower the carbon footprint of heating our homes.
That's my impression as well. Heat pumps work well for buildings with very low demands for heat, ideally with underfloor heating. If buildings are constructed from the start with that in mind then happy days but the government is proposing to have these things installed in the current UK housing stock.

It only becomes a commercial proposition if the price of gas rises even further but then that will also have an impact on the cost of the electricity required to run heat pumps.

AIUI for most of the year water will need to be heated with an immersion heater because it won't get hot enough from the heat pump.
Old 19th October 2021, 06:19 AM   #2118
wobs
Master Poster

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58899006
Quote:
It looks unlikely that there will be much hydrogen left over to heat people's homes, which is why the government is postponing any decision about hydrogen boilers until 2026.
So when they increase the capacity of hydrogen production, they'll start injecting it into the gas network. Not a huge surprise.
Old 19th October 2021, 12:50 PM   #2119
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by wobs View Post

That should be fun given the diffusion habits of molecular hydrogen. Who'll be paying for the charges to the distribution network I wonder.
Old 19th October 2021, 02:07 PM   #2120
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Imagine Mark Francois wanting to do away with anonymity on social media whilst at the same time demanding anonymity in an MP's <ahem!> recent rape case.

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics