IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags microsoft , Windows 10 , Windows 11

Old 19th July 2021, 11:44 PM   #161
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by grmcdorman View Post
Huh, doesn't include my AMD FX-6300 (released ca. 2012) - which has otherwise aged very well. Seems there will be a lot of existing systems that won't be able to upgrade. Motherboard has a TPM header of some flavour, although - leaving aside the CPU issue - I'm not at all enamoured of the idea of needing to buy extra hardware just to upgrade.

Having said that, at some point Microsoft needs to start dropping support for very old hardware; it doesn't help the product development and stability by keeping in support for it. No matter where they draw that line, there's going to be people unhappy about it.
I am not sure why people would want to upgrade. My idea is to keep the software I already have until I want to upgrade my hardware. Then I buy new hardware, with the latest software. I must admit though, I bought new hardware because Microsoft dropped support for XP, so I bought a computer with Windows 7, which then got upgraded to Windows 10. Then when they drop support for Windows 10 I might buy my next computer. My current one would then be over 10 years old and had only one major repair to replace the non-working hard drive.
Old 20th July 2021, 12:14 AM   #162
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Hey, that's the same as mine. I've never gone so long without feeling a need to upgrade.
My system is about seven years old now. I upgraded from an i3 to an i7 which was reasonably cheap and easy. It runs well with NVME SSD. No TPM at all, though. This will give me an excuse to upgrade but Win10 is fine for now. My main focus is being able to run apps. The Windows upgrade won't be important like the upgrade to XP or Win7 was where there are tangible benefits.

The only thing that really interests me is the better security and Android app support.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2021, 01:15 AM   #163
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
My system is about seven years old now. I upgraded from an i3 to an i7 which was reasonably cheap and easy. It runs well with NVME SSD. No TPM at all, though. This will give me an excuse to upgrade but Win10 is fine for now. My main focus is being able to run apps. The Windows upgrade won't be important like the upgrade to XP or Win7 was where there are tangible benefits.

The only thing that really interests me is the better security and Android app support.
Get a Samsung smartphone and you can sort of have that in Windows 10.
Old 20th July 2021, 01:52 AM   #164
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Make sure that your computer has Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0, which came out in October 2014. That was only a few years ago.

Edit. Plus a supported CPU. These are listed here
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...amd-processors
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tel-processors
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...omm-processors
Looks like I wouldn't be able to upgrade, despite my processor being a beast when I bought it 5 years ago. I suppose by 2025 it'll be 10 years old and upgrading shouldn't be too unexpected. But I'm definitely not updating my hardware any time soon just so that I can have semi-transparent menus with rounded corners.
Old 20th July 2021, 02:10 AM   #165
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Make sure that your computer has Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0, which came out in October 2014. That was only a few years ago.

Edit. Plus a supported CPU. These are listed here
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...amd-processors
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tel-processors
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...omm-processors
7 <> FEW
Old 20th July 2021, 02:22 AM   #166
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I've found I've ended up using the taskbar with the programme icons centred! Probably because I hardly ever use the start menu anyway as 90% of the time I am using icons on my task bar. The start menu is ideal for me, I never used all those info stuff, tiles and so on from earlier versions.

In daily use not seen much difference, on the whole like the visual refresh and they seem to have done well with deciding which functions to promote and which to relegate to "show more options". The only thing I've found and it's probably more to do with how I choose to work compared to others but "open with" is now a menu deeper and I use that several times a day. It's mainly with graphical stuff, I use IrFranView for my quick image viewer for all graphic file types bar specific Adobe ones so when I want to open a JPG or PNG in PS I have to use the "open with" if I'm in file manager.

After looking over the widget pane when I first upgraded I've never re-opened it. Suspect that would be something better suited if I was using Windows with primarily touch input.

Desktops are a good idea but doesn't seem it is possible to save them so no way I'm a setting up new ones after I've switched the PC off or logged out and logged into a different account and back.

And there the new window organisation tools are good bar they still have the "feature" that makes them useless to me i.e. apps don't remember positions when closed if you've used one of the built in tools, so reopening means you must reorganise each time.

Last edited by Darat; 20th July 2021 at 02:23 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2021, 02:39 AM   #167
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I'm just glad that

I don't have to say "save early and save often" anymore. Windows is far more stable.

You don't have to reinstall Windows every year or so. It can do it's own housekeeping know.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2021, 04:19 AM   #168
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I've found I've ended up using the taskbar with the programme icons centred! Probably because I hardly ever use the start menu anyway as 90% of the time I am using icons on my task bar. The start menu is ideal for me, I never used all those info stuff, tiles and so on from earlier versions.
I've got Classic Shell installed, which makes it like 7s's was. But I rarely use it. I have several programmes that I want reasonably quick access to pinned but, like you, I've got the 2 or 3 that I use most frequently pinned to the task bar. I still like to leave blank space for the icons of other programmes that I have open but not pinned.

And when I want to open the start menu I use the key on the keyboard, rather than the button.

When you open new programmes and new icons appear on the task bar, does the start menu icon move, or does it always remain static? I think there's little sense in either. If it's constantly moving then you don't have the muscle memory of where it is, and if it's static then you're wasting all the real estate to the left of it.
Old 20th July 2021, 04:23 AM   #169
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

To get 11 you need a computer that is no more than 2 or 3 years old. If your computer still has 7 then you will not be able to upgrade to 11.
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Is that true? I know there are certain hardware requirements, but will those seriously only exist on computers that new?
No.

While this is technically true (which we all know is the best kind of true), It looks to me that in general older machines are going to have a tough time making the grade, And by "older", it seems that three years or thereabouts isn't all that much of an exaggeration.

As I've mentioned a couple of times upthread, my two year old laptop which has TPM 2.0 enabled (Yes, I've checked the BIOS, etc.) and an AMD CPU in a series which in theory is supported, nonetheless it didn't pass the MS test ... at least the version before they pulled it.

Mebbe it will sneak by the new and improved version whenever they put it back out.

I'm not holding my breath, though.

An awful lot of machines aren't going to make the cut, and in a few years they will no longer be supported.

Sure, I understand about the obsolescence and support thing, but this is a bit more radical that past new versions of Windows have required.

And by "a bit" I mean a lot.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2021, 04:29 AM   #170
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I've got Classic Shell installed, which makes it like 7s's was. But I rarely use it. I have several programmes that I want reasonably quick access to pinned but, like you, I've got the 2 or 3 that I use most frequently pinned to the task bar. I still like to leave blank space for the icons of other programmes that I have open but not pinned.

And when I want to open the start menu I use the key on the keyboard, rather than the button.

When you open new programmes and new icons appear on the task bar, does the start menu icon move, or does it always remain static? I think there's little sense in either. If it's constantly moving then you don't have the muscle memory of where it is, and if it's static then you're wasting all the real estate to the left of it.
It's centre justified so moves towards the left when I'm opening more programs, but I never click on it with my trackball, I always use the windows key. Did used to click into the search box on the taskbar but that is now done by pressing the windows key and typing - no need for a separate click, so it is actually quicker and less awkward for me....

So far the tweaks to the UI seem well thought out and useful..... yeah I know - very strange - I'm assuming I'm being reprogrammed by the Bill gates microchip in the vaccine!
Old 20th July 2021, 04:32 AM   #171
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
While this is technically true (which we all know is the best kind of true), It looks to me that in general older machines are going to have a tough time making the grade, And by "older", it seems that three years or thereabouts isn't all that much of an exaggeration.

As I've mentioned a couple of times upthread, my two year old laptop which has TPM 2.0 enabled (Yes, I've checked the BIOS, etc.) and an AMD CPU in a series which in theory is supported, nonetheless it didn't pass the MS test ... at least the version before they pulled it.

Mebbe it will sneak by the new and improved version whenever they put it back out.

I'm not holding my breath, though.

An awful lot of machines aren't going to make the cut, and in a few years they will no longer be supported.

Sure, I understand about the obsolescence and support thing, but this is a bit more radical that past new versions of Windows have required.

And by "a bit" I mean a lot.
It's a beta so not surprised it didn't work well, it's real world feedback that they needed.

ETA: Plus if it truly helps with security, it's long past the time MS started putting their foot down rather than letting security be an option.

Last edited by Darat; 20th July 2021 at 04:34 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2021, 05:17 AM   #172
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Get a Samsung smartphone and you can sort of have that in Windows 10.
Wait what? Tell me about that.

gnome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2021, 05:17 AM   #173
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's centre justified so moves towards the left when I'm opening more programs, but I never click on it with my trackball, I always use the windows key.
As I say, me too. But presumably the fact that the button still exists implies that some people use it. Which means that the “muscle memory” thing could be a problem for some.

Quote:
Did used to click into the search box on the taskbar but that is now done by pressing the windows key and typing - no need for a separate click, so it is actually quicker and less awkward for me....
That’s always been the behaviour. Or perhaps that’s a Classic Shell thing.

As for the Desktops thing, do they remain after Hibernation? The only time I ever switch my computer off these days is when I have to restart it during an update. Otherwise it’s always exactly how I left it because I use Hibernate.
Old 20th July 2021, 05:20 AM   #174
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

It's centre justified so moves towards the left when I'm opening more programs, but I never click on it with my trackball, I always use the windows key. Did used to click into the search box on the taskbar but that is now done by pressing the windows key and typing - no need for a separate click, so it is actually quicker and less awkward for me....

So far the tweaks to the UI seem well thought out and useful..... yeah I know - very strange - I'm assuming I'm being reprogrammed by the Bill gates microchip in the vaccine!
Hmmmmm.

And pinned apps, do they move as apps open also?

That's gonna be a no-go for me on that interface. I need my pinned apps to be in the same spot on the taskbar no matter what else is open.

There will probably be a workaround. Or maybe they'll be *gasp* reactive to feedback and make it an OPTION instead of a forced change?

gnome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2021, 05:34 AM   #175
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

It's a beta so not surprised it didn't work well, it's real world feedback that they needed.

ETA: Plus if it truly helps with security, it's long past the time MS started putting their foot down rather than letting security be an option.

I'm not debating any of that. I'm not even disagreeing with it.

What I was doing was expanding a little on your categorical "No.", because the the idea that machines more than two or three years old will not be able to run Win11 seems to be, from my own experience and that of others I have read, more right than wrong.

Now, those machines will be at least six or seven years old by the time MS drops Win10, and it might be time to replace them by then, for more reasons than simply security issues, but it is still an exclusion policy which is a bit tougher than they have exercised in the past.

The ones I feel a bit sorry for are those people trying to buy low price machines in the next year or so, only to find that less-than-scrupulous vendors are taking advantage of the non-techie segment of the public to unload machines with CPUs that don't make the cut, and learn too late that their two or three year old computer in 2025 won't get any more security upgrades from MS.

My youngest machine will be seven years old then. It will be obsolesced by Win11 The one sitting next to it, which is my main machine for reading because of its 17" screen, is already older than that and runs Win 10 just fine.

Barring hardware disease it will still be in 2025.

Needless to say, there isn't a prayer in hell it will run Win11.

I guess I'll get an upgrade to a shiny old Linux machine if that happens.

ETA:

One thing's for sure. If I should suddenly find myself in need of a new Windows computer (Goddess forbid!), I won't buy one that doesn't ship with Win11, just to be sure it's compatible. I'll give the same advice to anyone who asks me.

I wonder if there will be a noticeable drop in computer sales due to similar caution.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 20th July 2021 at 06:04 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2021, 05:38 AM   #176
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Or maybe they'll be *gasp* reactive to feedback and make it an OPTION instead of a forced change?
It is an option. You can put it back to the left.
Old 20th July 2021, 05:50 AM   #177
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Wait what? Tell me about that.
Some of the later Samsung phones - last 2 years have "Your Phone" baked into them, it means I can run an android app in a window on my PC. It is running still on the phone but all input and output is in a window on the desktop.
Old 20th July 2021, 05:53 AM   #178
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Nice! I'll have to try that. I spotted that "Your phone" business but I thought all it did was make your PC give you phone notifications as well as the phone itself.

Old 20th July 2021, 05:55 AM   #179
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

It is an option. You can put it back to the left.
Oh! Never mind.
/Emily Litella

Old 20th July 2021, 06:14 AM   #180
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Nice! I'll have to try that. I spotted that "Your phone" business but I thought all it did was make your PC give you phone notifications as well as the phone itself.
It works surprisingly well.

I use it all the time for my banking app, WhatsApp and other messaging apps, much nicer to be able to use my keyboard and not have to pick the phone up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2021-07-20 141057.jpg (88.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 20th July 2021, 06:36 AM   #181
Wudang
BOFH

Some of the later Samsung phones - last 2 years have "Your Phone" baked into them, it means I can run an android app in a window on my PC. It is running still on the phone but all input and output is in a window on the desktop.
Nice. I already use AirDroid which allows my pc to get phone calls, texts and some notifications forwarded from my Motorola. And WhatsApp via the web but it would be nice to have more.
Old 20th July 2021, 11:59 AM   #182
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

What I was doing was expanding a little on your categorical "No.", because the the idea that machines more than two or three years old will not be able to run Win11 seems to be, from my own experience and that of others I have read, more right than wrong.
It depends. It seems that, currently, the rigid spec requirements are only enforced in the installer and once they're bypassed it runs fine on a variety of older hardware, Linus Tech Tips got it running on a Core 2 Duo from 2008.
Whether they'll relax the requirements for the retail 'release' is another matter and it's doubtful that any installer workarounds will last long in the wild.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2021, 12:12 PM   #183
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
It depends. It seems that, currently, the rigid spec requirements are only enforced in the installer and once they're bypassed it runs fine on a variety of older hardware, Linus Tech Tips got it running on a Core 2 Duo from 2008.
Whether they'll relax the requirements for the retail 'release' is another matter and it's doubtful that any installer workarounds will last long in the wild.

Like I said. If you need a new machine and can wait a bit, it's probably best to wait until you can get one that ships with Win 11. That way you know it's compatible.

I guess I'll find out if my two year old laptop with TPM 2.0 and an AMD series MS says is included will upgrade whenever they get around to working it out themselves. The last go-round wasn't very promising.

Old 20th July 2021, 01:34 PM   #184
Wudang
BOFH

Like I said. If you need a new machine and can wait a bit, it's probably best to wait until you can get one that ships with Win 11. That way you know it's compatible.

I agree. I have an older laptop that had win 7 and has been upgraded through 8 to 10. The graphics card isn't supported in win 10 and I recently had to spend a few hours to get a game working on it again. You may never hit the wall between supported and "works anyway" but if you can it seems wise to avoid it.
Old 20th July 2021, 03:01 PM   #185
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
I agree. I have an older laptop that had win 7 and has been upgraded through 8 to 10. The graphics card isn't supported in win 10 and I recently had to spend a few hours to get a game working on it again. You may never hit the wall between supported and "works anyway" but if you can it seems wise to avoid it.
My sister just gave me an old Windows 7 laptop. Great, because there are a couple old games I'd still like to play. Then she asked me to convert all her CDs to mp3 files. I figured I'd use this older one to save the wear and tear on my current one, and besides, it has a CD/DVD drive where my current one does not.

I had to go hunting but I found my old Roxio Creator 2011 Suite disc, installed it with no problem, and am happily converting away!
Old 20th July 2021, 05:05 PM   #186
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
My sister just gave me an old Windows 7 laptop. Great, because there are a couple old games I'd still like to play. Then she asked me to convert all her CDs to mp3 files. I figured I'd use this older one to save the wear and tear on my current one, and besides, it has a CD/DVD drive where my current one does not.

I had to go hunting but I found my old Roxio Creator 2011 Suite disc, installed it with no problem, and am happily converting away!

Try EAC. https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/
Old 20th July 2021, 06:10 PM   #187
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
I'm just glad that

I don't have to say "save early and save often" anymore. Windows is far more stable.

You don't have to reinstall Windows every year or so. It can do it's own housekeeping know.
I'm just glad that Office 365 finally brought back a proper autosave feature (rather than the awful "autorecovery" that they had since version 2). It's also got "recover unsaved documents", which as a rational, skeptical IT Support professional I fully believe is literal magic.
Old 20th July 2021, 06:36 PM   #188
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
I wasn't actually looking for something else, but I think that will do for my new computer, thanks!
Old 21st July 2021, 02:17 AM   #189
ohms
Graduate Poster

For those wishing to check their PC compatibility, there is a free and open-source alternative available while the MS tool is down. It's called WhyNotWIn11 and can be found on Github here:

https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11

It's a standalone exe, no installation needed. As usual, check it with anti-malware software before using it.

I had to do a bit of digging around in my BIOS before I found the option to enable TPM which just leaves me with just my CPU not listed as compatible even though it's way above minimum spec.
Old 21st July 2021, 03:00 AM   #190
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

With mine, it appears I haven't got the TPM (although I've not yet bothered to check the BIOS - see above about never actually shutting the computer down), and that my CPU is too old despite, like ohms, meeting the specs easily. Apparently it'll still be possible to install it with non-listed CPUs.

I understand wanting to not be weighed down by outdated technology, but my CPU was only launched 5-6 years ago, and can still easily handle anything I throw at it from huge Reaper projects with loads of big effects to multi-track 4K video editing (although, of course, the GPU helps there, too).

Hardware becoming outdated in 5 years? This is a desktop, not a smartphone. Although, I suppose, the lines between phones, tablets, and computers is blurring. My phone cost 2/3rds of what my computer did, and my tablet cost 4/3rds of what my computer did. But I have different uses for them and use them all in different ways.

Perhaps the awkwardness is still what started with Windows 8 - Microsoft is increasingly trying to blur the lines between different devices. That's why you need an online Microsoft account. That's why it seems to be moving more towards the SaaS model. That's why Teams is being integrated into the OS. That's why for the last several years Microsoft has been calling programmes "apps".
Old 21st July 2021, 04:00 AM   #191
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post

When I did an upgrade quite a few years ago, 5 or more I forgot to plug the power back into the drive. It's sat that way ever since. Never once needed it.
Old 21st July 2021, 04:08 AM   #192
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

With mine, it appears I haven't got the TPM (although I've not yet bothered to check the BIOS - see above about never actually shutting the computer down), and that my CPU is too old despite, like ohms, meeting the specs easily. Apparently it'll still be possible to install it with non-listed CPUs.

I understand wanting to not be weighed down by outdated technology, but my CPU was only launched 5-6 years ago, and can still easily handle anything I throw at it from huge Reaper projects with loads of big effects to multi-track 4K video editing (although, of course, the GPU helps there, too).

Hardware becoming outdated in 5 years? This is a desktop, not a smartphone. Although, I suppose, the lines between phones, tablets, and computers is blurring. My phone cost 2/3rds of what my computer did, and my tablet cost 4/3rds of what my computer did. But I have different uses for them and use them all in different ways.

Perhaps the awkwardness is still what started with Windows 8 - Microsoft is increasingly trying to blur the lines between different devices. That's why you need an online Microsoft account. That's why it seems to be moving more towards the SaaS model. That's why Teams is being integrated into the OS. That's why for the last several years Microsoft has been calling programmes "apps".
That just shows your age! Like most old fogies I grumble at it but it has become ubiquitous - it's an example of evolution and "survival of the fittest" in language, just go with it.

ETA:PS - MS would have used "programs" As did most British coders when referring to computer programs rather than TV programmes.

Last edited by Darat; 21st July 2021 at 04:10 AM.
Old 21st July 2021, 10:14 AM   #193
ohms
Graduate Poster

Most CPUs made from 2016 or so will have an on-chip implementation of TPM 2.0. Intel has integrated Platform Trust Technology (Intel PTT) in its Gen 6 (Skylake) and later processors, while AMD uses something called PSP fTPM.

Unfortunately, many motherboard manufacturers disable these by default, but you may be able to enable them from the BIOS, assuming the manufacturer has enabled that option.

There's plenty of time for people to have a read through their motherboards manual to find the option before Win10 eventually goes EOL. I'd also recommend doing a backup before making changes to the BIOS, just in case.
Old 21st July 2021, 01:17 PM   #194
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I'm just glad that Office 365 finally brought back a proper autosave feature (rather than the awful "autorecovery" that they had since version 2). It's also got "recover unsaved documents", which as a rational, skeptical IT Support professional I fully believe is literal magic.
I usually turn autosave off on my files, particularly spreadsheets. I often need to do things like filter/sort a spreadsheet for a particular use, but don't want it saved in that configuration. And on shared documents, I often have to undo whatever filtering the previous user applied. After decades of doing the frequent CTRL-S action, it's just ingrained behavior now.

Originally Posted by ohms View Post
There's plenty of time for people to have a read through their motherboards manual to find the option before Win10 eventually goes EOL.
Read through my what now?
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2021, 01:20 PM   #195
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by ZirconBlue View Post
Read through my what now?
The suggestions the manufacturer sends in the box to make sure the product doesn't shift while shipping. I didn't know you could read them.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2021, 02:11 PM   #196
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

That just shows your age! Like most old fogies I grumble at it but it has become ubiquitous - it's an example of evolution and "survival of the fittest" in language, just go with it.
Oh, I'm aware of that. I think there was a time when it was a prestige thing and no programme that considered itself "professional" would use the word, but these days even Adobe are calling Photoshop an "app".

But my point is that I don't think this evolution of language would have happened, had it not been for the blurring of the lines between portable devices like phones and tablets and more traditional computers like laptops and desktops.

Which is kind of funny, in a way, because my iPad is basically just a laptop with a detachable keyboard - it even specs slightly higher than the Macbook Air. The only thing that's preventing it being a laptop is the OS. A lot of people were disappointed in the upcoming iPadOS15 because it doesn't make any radical changes, or in any way push it more towards being a laptop. Presumably this is because Apple want to keep selling Macbook Airs.
Old 21st July 2021, 02:17 PM   #197
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ohms View Post
Most CPUs made from 2016 or so will have an on-chip implementation of TPM 2.0. Intel has integrated Platform Trust Technology (Intel PTT) in its Gen 6 (Skylake) and later processors, while AMD uses something called PSP fTPM.
Then mine will. I've just got to actually go into the BIOS to check. I've got an update ready and waiting. Perhaps I'll check when I restart.

Then again, perhaps I wont. I'm not that bothered at the moment, and have no plans to upgrade in the near future.

I've also recently read this, which I don't know enough about to examine critically: https://www.grc.com/misc/truecrypt/T...er%20Guide.pdf

Quote:
Some encryption programs use TPM to prevent attacks. Will TrueCrypt use it too?

No. Those programs use TPM to protect against attacks that require the attacker to have administrator privileges, or physical access to the computer, and the attacker needs you to use the computer after such an access. However, if any of these conditions is met, it is actually impossible to secure the computer (see below) and, therefore, you must stop using it (instead of relying on TPM).

If the attacker has administrator privileges, he can, for example, reset the TPM, capture the content of RAM (containing master keys) or content of files stored on mounted TrueCrypt volumes (decrypted on the fly), which can then be sent to the attacker over the Internet or saved to an unencrypted local drive (from which the attacker might be able to read it later, when he gains physical access to the computer).

If the attacker can physically access the computer hardware (and you use it after such an access), he can, for example, attach a malicious component to it (such as a hardware keystroke logger) that will capture the password, the content of RAM (containing master keys) or content of files stored on mounted TrueCrypt volumes (decrypted on the fly), which can then be sent to the attacker over the Internet or saved to an unencrypted local drive (from which the attacker might be able to read it later, when he gains physical access to the computer again).

The only thing that TPM is almost guaranteed to provide is a false sense of security (even the name itself, “Trusted Platform Module”, is misleading and creates a false sense of security). As for real security, TPM is actually redundant (and implementing redundant features is usually a way to create so-called bloatware). Features like this are sometimes referred to as ‘security theater’ [6].
Whether that's all true, and whether that means that they're useless in 100% of cases, and whether that remains true to this day, I can't say. But it is a counter-argument to Microsoft's insistence.
Old 23rd July 2021, 03:02 AM   #198
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

...snip....

In daily use not seen much difference, on the whole like the visual refresh and they seem to have done well with deciding which functions to promote and which to relegate to "show more options". The only thing I've found and it's probably more to do with how I choose to work compared to others but "open with" is now a menu deeper and I use that several times a day. It's mainly with graphical stuff, I use IrFranView for my quick image viewer for all graphic file types bar specific Adobe ones so when I want to open a JPG or PNG in PS I have to use the "open with" if I'm in file manager.

...snip...
I've not felt so powerful since feeding back info on the xBox prototypes - MS have fixed my niggle, "Open with" is now a top level option along with "Open". Good to see they are reading this forum!
Old 23rd July 2021, 08:36 AM   #199
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

ETA:PS - MS would have used "programs" As did most British coders when referring to computer programs rather than TV programmes.

As fogies go I am among the oldsters, even though I didn't get my own personal PC at home until 1983.

But I clearly remember that programs intended for actual day-to-day work like word processors, spreadsheets, etc., were often referred to as "applications" or application programs" even back then. I suspect that is where the term "apps" for handhelds like phones and tablets originated. A nickname, of sorts.

It's almost a case of what goes around comes around.

I've never been bothered by if that much, if at all.

Old 23rd July 2021, 08:58 AM   #200
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

For a while I associated "apps" with being crippled versions of browser sites, made for the mobile device market.

On PCs, these days it doesn't seem terribly important to establish a difference.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet