IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th January 2022, 11:34 AM   #1
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

A Very Curious Case Phishing

Continuous stalking and phishing for over four years.

For years, a mysterious figure has been stealing books before their release. Is it espionage? Revenge? Or a complete waste of time?

https://www.vulture.com/2022/01/stea...e-mystery.html

Someone has dedicated his life to doing this for reasons unknown.

Update: On January 5, 2022, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York announced that it had arrested Filippo Bernardini, a 29-year old Italian man, for allegedly conducting the scheme outlined in this story.
Old 10th January 2022, 12:24 PM   #2
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Continuous stalking and phishing for over four years.

For years, a mysterious figure has been stealing books before their release. Is it espionage? Revenge? Or a complete waste of time?

https://www.vulture.com/2022/01/stea...e-mystery.html

Someone has dedicated his life to doing this for reasons unknown.

Update: On January 5, 2022, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York announced that it had arrested Filippo Bernardini, a 29-year old Italian man, for allegedly conducting the scheme outlined in this story.
I got started reading it but man that's a long article.

Everyone loves social engineering stories lol. I'll have to finish it later today. Seems like an extremely intricate phish.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 03:50 PM   #3
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Word in my writer's forum is he was stealing from big name authors and it could have been to either have an advantage in the publishing industry or he was trying to act like a big shot in the agency he worked for.

I'll find a link, it will make more sense.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 06:56 PM   #4
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Word in my writer's forum is he was stealing from big name authors and it could have been to either have an advantage in the publishing industry or he was trying to act like a big shot in the agency he worked for.

I'll find a link, it will make more sense.
I'd be interested to see that as the article says there is no evidence he did anything with the materials he stole.
Old 10th January 2022, 09:26 PM   #5
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I'd be interested to see that as the article says there is no evidence he did anything with the materials he stole.
That was the reason for the speculation as to what he wanted. That and he worked for Simon and Schuster, UK as a "rights coordinator", (I believe a low level job though one source identified him as a publishing exec). Impressing his bosses with his knowledge of upcoming deals and/or as yet unpublished manuscripts seems like a possibility. The other is simply he wanted to read the unpublished stuff. I doubt it's the latter.

Irish Times
Quote:
Early knowledge in a rights department could be an advantage for an employee trying to prove his worth. Publishers compete and bid to publish work abroad, for example, and knowing what’s coming, who is buying what and how much they’re paying could give companies an edge.

“What he’s been stealing,” said Kelly Farber, a literary scout, “is basically a huge amount of information that any publisher anywhere would be able to use to their advantage.”
The Guardian
Quote:
Before Bernardini’s arrest, it was widely suspected that the culprit was a literary scout, engaging in industrial espionage. A scout’s currency is advance information: a heads-up on the next big thing can give their clients the edge when it comes to pre-empts and bidding wars on foreign or screen rights. ...
Quote:
... Perhaps the thief’s initial motive was no more sinister than this: he was hungry for a new story. But the longer the scam continued, the more it appears to have become a power game, with the scammer taking evident pleasure in manipulating some of the most senior figures in publishing and later turning abusive when his efforts were met with suspicion.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 05:18 AM   #6
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That was the reason for the speculation as to what he wanted. That and he worked for Simon and Schuster, UK as a "rights coordinator", (I believe a low level job though one source identified him as a publishing exec). Impressing his bosses with his knowledge of upcoming deals and/or as yet unpublished manuscripts seems like a possibility. The other is simply he wanted to read the unpublished stuff. I doubt it's the latter.

Irish Times

The Guardian
Thanks for the links. But as I read, we still don't have a reason, only speculation. If it is him, I wonder if he'll come clean and give his reasons -- if he himself knows at this point. I suggest the effort involved indicates some sort of mental problem.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet