IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , congressional elections , david perdue , Georgia elections , Jon Ossoff , Kelly Loeffler , Raphael Warnock

Old 5th January 2021, 10:58 PM   #161
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
It looks like DeKalb has not reported any absentee ballots. Maybe they wait until they are all processed before reporting.
Maybe they are waiting for the delivery of the fake mail-in ballots, delivered in a truck with the Democratic party's logo on it, driven personally by Biden and Stacy Abrahms.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 11:00 PM   #162
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Looks like Warnock has it.

Because of recent history, I'm just not willing to accept yet that "Ossoff has it" while Ossoff is still behind in the count, regardless of where the remaining votes are coming from. Once he's ahead, I'll consider him ahead.
I understand. When it was just the polls or the earlier voting I wasn't sure Ossoff was actually going to win.

Now I think it's a relatively safe bet.
Old 5th January 2021, 11:01 PM   #163
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Maybe they are waiting for the delivery of the fake mail-in ballots, delivered in a truck with the Democratic party's logo on it, driven personally by Biden and Stacy Abrahms.

You can bet someone will sell Trump on this idea.
Old 5th January 2021, 11:06 PM   #164
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

It looks like DeKalb has not reported any absentee ballots. Maybe they wait until they are all processed before reporting. There will probably be a big jump for the Dems when those results come in.
It appears to just be some issue with the data the NYT has. It shows the total votes, then it also shows the absentee votes, but that is just a subset of the total. So no new big dump of votes; probably they just don't have a breakdown of how many of the total are absentee.
Old 5th January 2021, 11:10 PM   #165
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I understand. When it was just the polls or the earlier voting I wasn't sure Ossoff was actually going to win.

Now I think it's a relatively safe bet.
I had doubts going into the election because, well, the November elections were a major disappointment.... Even though Biden won the whitehouse, he didn't manage to flip Texas (admittedly a longshot) or Florida. The Democrats lost house seats, and failed to win several senate elections where they were leading in the polls.

So, I was very pessimistic that the Democrats could take both Georgia seats.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 11:16 PM   #166
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?

You can bet someone will sell Trump on this idea.
Not only that, but someone will also provide eyewitness affidavits for Democrat vans full of ballots.

And then the evidence will be sent to Tucker Carlson and get lost in the mail.
Old 5th January 2021, 11:19 PM   #167
dirtywick
Master Poster

I had doubts going into the election because, well, the November elections were a major disappointment.... Even though Biden won the whitehouse, he didn't manage to flip Texas (admittedly a longshot) or Florida. The Democrats lost house seats, and failed to win several senate elections where they were leading in the polls.

I don't think they would have taken both in November. What happened between November and now is why they lost.
dirtywick is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 11:36 PM   #168
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
Quote:

I don't think they would have taken both in November. What happened between November and now is why they lost.
Actually when I talked about the lost opportunity for the Democrats to win senate seats in November, I wasn't referring to Georgia... I was referring to Maine (where republican Collins was extremely unpopular) and North Carolina (where there were multiple predictions that the state would flip to the Democrats). But both senate seats stayed Republican. Those losses were the most annoying.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 5th January 2021, 11:39 PM   #169
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I thought they had stopped counting but maybe they decided to power through the ballots.

Now both Democrats are ahead. And the NYT has officially called the race for Warnock.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 6th January 2021 at 12:04 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 11:43 PM   #170
bobdroege7
Illuminator

Who is the most powerful person in the world?

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 11:52 PM   #171
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

CNN has just called it for Warnock.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 11:54 PM   #172
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

If Ossoff wins, as he may well do, and the Senate is 50-50, who will be the Majority Leader as there is no majority?
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 11:56 PM   #173
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
If Ossoff wins, as he may well do, and the Senate is 50-50, who will be the Majority Leader as there is no majority?
Senate ties are broke by the President of the Senate, which is the Vice President, which will be Kamala Harris. So Democrats would be the majority.
Old 6th January 2021, 12:01 AM   #174
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Good Morning America!

Dave Wasserman calls the race for Ossoff!!!

Quote:
I've seen enough. Jon Ossoff (D) defeats Sen. David Perdue (R) in GA's other Senate runoff. #GASEN

Democrats win control of the Senate.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/statu...81326934650880

(Twitter slaps a warning on his tweet, because the networks haven't called the race yet, but I fully trust Wasserman's legendary "I've seen enough".)

Last edited by Firestone; 6th January 2021 at 12:02 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:01 AM   #175
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
CNN has just called it for Warnock.
As did NYT. Ossoff is ahead by ca. 3500 votes.
Old 6th January 2021, 12:02 AM   #176
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Senate ties are broke by the President of the Senate, which is the Vice President, which will be Kamala Harris. So Democrats would be the majority.
I understand that ties are broken by the VP but as she's not a senator I wondered if she would count to make the Dems the majority party. Has here ever been a 50-50 Senate split before?
Old 6th January 2021, 12:04 AM   #177
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

2020 sucked big time in more ways than I can say, both personally and worldwide. But this is starting off 2021 great!
Old 6th January 2021, 12:05 AM   #178
Firestone

Stephen Breyer consulting his retirement planner right now!
Old 6th January 2021, 12:07 AM   #179
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I understand that ties are broken by the VP but as she's not a senator I wondered if she would count to make the Dems the majority party. Has here ever been a 50-50 Senate split before?
Yes and yes.

Take that McConnell! You can't block Biden's cabinet. You can't block Pelosi's 100+ bills sitting on your desk. They will at least get a vote.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 6th January 2021 at 12:09 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:12 AM   #180
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Yes and yes.

Take that McConnell! You can't block Biden's cabinet. You can't block Pelosi's 100+ bills sitting on your desk. They will at least get a vote.
Correct

WAPO says "The Constitution makes the vice president the president of the Senate, with the power to cast the decisive vote in cases of a tie."
Old 6th January 2021, 12:21 AM   #181
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And the Demcoratic Wind swept through Georgia......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:21 AM   #182
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

She counts in determining the majority. There have been 50/50 splits in the past. VP Cheney was the determining factor back in the mid 2000s.
Old 6th January 2021, 12:22 AM   #183
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

She counts in determining the majority. There have been 50/50 splits in the past. VP Cheney was the determining factor back in the mid 2000s.
SHHHHHHHH.....don't say his name 3X!!!!
Old 6th January 2021, 12:23 AM   #184
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And the Demcoratic Wind swept through Georgia......
That will put a little wrench in tomorrow's festivities.
Old 6th January 2021, 12:26 AM   #185
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Remember the good old days when Trump was bragging about how valuable his endorsement was in getting Republicans elected?

I wonder how that's working out for him these days.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 6th January 2021, 12:27 AM   #186
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

That will put a little wrench in tomorrow's festivities.
If Ossof wins, the GOP senate majority will be gone with the wind.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:28 AM   #187
dirtywick
Master Poster

Actually when I talked about the lost opportunity for the Democrats to win senate seats in November, I wasn't referring to Georgia... I was referring to Maine (where republican Collins was extremely unpopular) and North Carolina (where there were multiple predictions that the state would flip to the Democrats). But both senate seats stayed Republican. Those losses were the most annoying.
Losing SC to Lindsey Graham was also disappointing.
dirtywick is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:38 AM   #188
BazBear
Possible Suspect

Location: Slightly Over The Hill, Not Too Far Around The Bend
Poor Kelly's gonna have to console herself by objecting the EC votes tomorrow... traitorous *word for female dog*.
BazBear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:40 AM   #189
BazBear
Possible Suspect

Location: Slightly Over The Hill, Not Too Far Around The Bend
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
If Ossof wins, the GOP senate majority will be gone with the wind.
Yep, and Chuck will be calling the shots if this holds
BazBear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:40 AM   #190
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I wish I could see Mitch McConnell's reaction right now.
Old 6th January 2021, 12:41 AM   #191
angrysoba
Philosophile

Somebody on Twitter said Joe Manchin, but maybe that's a joke because he is known to be the most conservative Democrat, right? So maybe the joke is that everyone wants to court his vote.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:41 AM   #192
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

So, I have a question

Warnock has been called, and Ossoff looks increasingly likely to win given that most of the remaining votes are from counties that run heavily D. If this does happen, that will leave the Senate 50-50 with VP Harris having the casting vote.

My question is, what happens in the Senate subcommitees (Judiciary, Intelligence etc)? Those committees have a membership made up of one extra majority member, and where the chairman is from the Senate majority party, but if the Senate is 50-50, who chairs this committees, and who has the casting vote?
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:44 AM   #193
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Ossoff is now 9527 votes ahead of Perdue with all remaining votes coming in from heavily leaning Dem counties.
Old 6th January 2021, 12:45 AM   #194
Firestone

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Somebody on Twitter said Joe Manchin, but maybe that's a joke because he is known to be the most conservative Democrat, right? So maybe the joke is that everyone wants to court his vote.
While it's a joke, I do think that Manchin, Sinema, Kelly (AZ), Tester, Romney, Murkowski, will be quite powerful in the new 50-50 Senate.
Old 6th January 2021, 12:58 AM   #195
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Ossoff now has over 12,000 more votes than Perdue.
Old 6th January 2021, 01:02 AM   #196
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And most of the uncounted votes are in heavily Blue areas.
Mitch Must be getting really, really, nervous.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th January 2021, 01:06 AM   #197
dirtywick
Master Poster

both of trumps candidates losing is pretty disastrous for his post presidency prospects
Old 6th January 2021, 01:06 AM   #198
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

How many ballots can you carry in one Ossoff van?

Just wondering, because according to NYT election commentary, the Perdue campaign claim they won and will use "every available resource and exhaust every recourse to ensure all legally cast ballots are properly counted”.

Maybe GEICO should bring back those "It's what you do" commercials?
Old 6th January 2021, 01:14 AM   #199
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
So, I have a question

Warnock has been called, and Ossoff looks increasingly likely to win given that most of the remaining votes are from counties that run heavily D. If this does happen, that will leave the Senate 50-50 with VP Harris having the casting vote.

My question is, what happens in the Senate subcommitees (Judiciary, Intelligence etc)? Those committees have a membership made up of one extra majority member, and where the chairman is from the Senate majority party, but if the Senate is 50-50, who chairs this committees, and who has the casting vote?
The Democrats have the majority, same rules apply.
Old 6th January 2021, 01:18 AM   #200
Firestone

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
How many ballots can you carry in one Ossoff van?

Just wondering, because according to NYT election commentary, the Perdue campaign claim they won and will use "every available resource and exhaust every recourse to ensure all legally cast ballots are properly counted”.

Maybe GEICO should bring back those "It's what you do" commercials?
(bolding mine)

Raising the question of when Ossoff will be seated.
As long as he isn't, McConnell remains "majority" leader.

(Data point: Al Franken, in 2009, was seated on July 7th, 8 months after the election.)

Last edited by Firestone; 6th January 2021 at 01:21 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics