IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 7th January 2021, 01:49 PM   #281
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Ryan Fournier Founder and Co-Chairman of Students For Trump tweeted

@RyanAFournier
Facebook and Instagram have banned President Trump until Joe Biden takes office
They banned Trump. And they will ban you next.

Democrats and some Republicans want to impeach and remove Trump from office
This will divide America even further
We need unity as a nation
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 01:53 PM   #282
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Nick Clegg (Yes, 'taht' Nick Clegg) Facebook VP Global Affairs tweeted

After yesterday's violence at the U.S. Capitol, we've determined that the risks of allowing President Trump to continue using our service are simply too great.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 02:00 PM   #283
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Ryan Fournier Founder and Co-Chairman of Students For Trump tweeted

@RyanAFournier
Facebook and Instagram have banned President Trump until Joe Biden takes office
They banned Trump. And they will ban you next.

Democrats and some Republicans want to impeach and remove Trump from office

Was that before or after he Tweeted that "ANTIFA was behind the storming of the Capitol.", as you quoted in the riot thread?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 02:06 PM   #284
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I think the difference is...

In Washington, the government (be it local law enforcement, national guard, etc.) have significant authority. In the event of trouble, they can call in reinforcements, set up roadblocks, etc. The windows in the Capitol building itself may be flimsy, but if the police are competent there should never be a risk to the building itself, or its windows. (Or at least a very limited risk).

In an embassy, since it is in a foreign city, they have less control over their surroundings. They are stuck with whatever security they have in place, and if they run into trouble (such as a riot near the embassy) they may not be able to depend on the hosting country to help control the situation.
No.
There is no amount of armed guards that can protect people inside from snipers or protect people from glass shards if a bomb goes off outside.

The Pentagon has way more armed people to defend the building and they put in bulletproof windows and hardened walls even before someone attacked it with an airplane.

There is absolutely no excuse for people getting into the Senate chamber.
Old 7th January 2021, 02:09 PM   #285
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Meanwhile, Trump's Stepford Wife (aka Mike Pence) gets to enjoy his shining day in the sun as a beacon of strength and honour.

**wipes away tears of laughter**

You just can't make this stuff up folks!
Barr did the same today, being all critical of Trump as if Barr hadn't been the enabler in chief for the last couple years.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 02:10 PM   #286
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Was that before or after he Tweeted that "ANTIFA was behind the storming of the Capitol.", as you quoted in the riot thread?
UNIty under Dear Leader.....No thanks.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 02:11 PM   #287
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Going to be fun to see Trump's reaction when is, as seems likely, will be impeached again....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 02:12 PM   #288
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
I think Ms Palmieri has it - from the WaPo link above

ďIt has not escaped my attention that the day social media companies decided there actually IS more they could do to police Trumpís destructive behavior was the same day that they learned Democrats would chair all the Congressional committees that oversee them,Ē tweeted Jennifer Palmieri, Hillary Clintonís former communications director."
I think that assessment has a lot of validity.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 02:14 PM   #289
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Biden is ripping into Trump like I have not seen him do before.
If I were BIden, I wold say I do not want Trump at my inuragral.
I don't think he needs to say it.
Old 7th January 2021, 02:24 PM   #290
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Biden is ripping into Trump like I have not seen him do before.
If I were BIden, I wold say I do not want Trump at my inuragral.
I'm sure he doesn't and no way does Trump show up.

He would be worse than God showing up at your party.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 7th January 2021, 02:28 PM   #291
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
After.
Old 7th January 2021, 02:31 PM   #292
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

National unity with whom? Followers of wanna-be authoritarian rightwing party working hard on "wanna-be" part?

Good luck with that.
Old 7th January 2021, 02:33 PM   #293
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

ďIt has not escaped my attention that the day social media companies decided there actually IS more they could do to police Trumpís destructive behavior was the same day that they learned Democrats would chair all the Congressional committees that oversee them,Ē tweeted Jennifer Palmieri, Hillary Clintonís former communications director."
Oh thatís a zinger!
Old 7th January 2021, 02:38 PM   #294
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Then try being a uniter rather than an enabler, and apologist for sedition, which is the opposite of unity. You're a ****** student, and overall dickwad.
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 02:43 PM   #295
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I see nobody is taking Trump's "I will go out peacefully" tweet serioulsy.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th January 2021, 02:43 PM   #296
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Going to be fun to see Trump's reaction when is, as seems likely, will be impeached again....
Without Twitter we wonít know, but I imagine it would like the first one x10.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 02:55 PM   #297
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

We haven't heard directly from The PDJT or VP Pence all day. I would certainly love to see their first post-vote-totals meeting.
Old 7th January 2021, 02:59 PM   #298
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
We haven't heard directly from The PDJT or VP Pence all day. I would certainly love to see their first post-vote-totals meeting.
Trump canít communicate without Twitter, and he hates press conferences if he canít brag about the ratings, so I expect almost no communication from Trumpy.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 03:04 PM   #299
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Trump still has his Hannity soapbox and the MSN can't resist a story repeating what Trump says.
Old 7th January 2021, 03:23 PM   #300
crescent
Illuminator

Trump canít communicate without Twitter, and he hates press conferences if he canít brag about the ratings, so I expect almost no communication from Trumpy.
I wonder if he even knows about an archaic medium of communication called a "press release".
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 03:25 PM   #301
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Donald Trump was "completely wrong" to cast doubt on the US election and encourage supporters to storm the Capitol, Boris Johnson has said.

The UK prime minister said he "unreservedly condemns" the US president's actions.
Old 7th January 2021, 03:31 PM   #302
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

It was a perfect insurrection!
Old 7th January 2021, 04:02 PM   #303
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Trump banned Pence's aide, Marc Short, from White House grounds, so it's very possible there will be no future meeting between Trump and Pence.
Old 7th January 2021, 04:17 PM   #304
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Trump banned Pence's aide, Marc Short, from White House grounds, so it's very possible there will be no future meeting between Trump and Pence.
If Short was any kind of patriot he'd have gone in through a window.
Old 7th January 2021, 04:30 PM   #305
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
If Short was any kind of patriot he'd have gone in through a window.
According to Trump, Short poisoned Pence into following the Constitution when counting the electoral votes, but since Trump is insane, it's hard to know what to think. Maybe Short was somewhat a patriot.
Old 7th January 2021, 04:37 PM   #306
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

*sniffle*

Our D-I-V-O-R-C-E becomes final today.
Me and little M-E-L will be goin' away.
I love you both and this will be pure H-E-double-L for me.
Oh, I wish that we could stop this D-I-V-O-R-C-E

*sniffle*

Old 7th January 2021, 04:44 PM   #307
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
*sniffle*

Our D-I-V-O-R-C-E becomes final today.
Me and little M-E-L will be goin' away.
I love you both and this will be pure H-E-double-L for me.
Oh, I wish that we could stop this D-I-V-O-R-C-E

*sniffle*

These things are always a bit sad, but maybe Trump will make new friends in prison.
Old 7th January 2021, 04:45 PM   #308
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Why the glass is re-enforced at embassies but not at the Capitol building...
Quote:
I think the difference is...

In Washington, the government (be it local law enforcement, national guard, etc.) have significant authority. In the event of trouble, they can call in reinforcements, set up roadblocks, etc. The windows in the Capitol building itself may be flimsy, but if the police are competent there should never be a risk to the building itself, or its windows. (Or at least a very limited risk).

In an embassy, since it is in a foreign city, they have less control over their surroundings. They are stuck with whatever security they have in place, and if they run into trouble (such as a riot near the embassy) they may not be able to depend on the hosting country to help control the situation.
No.
There is no amount of armed guards that can protect people inside from snipers or protect people from glass shards if a bomb goes off outside.
The Washington police can station officers on buildings that would be "prime" sniping positions. (It wouldn't surprise me if they already did that). I doubt a foreign government would be so accepting of those type of measures. (It should also be noted that there is a lot of empty space in front of the capitol building... not exactly prime "sniper" territory. On the other hand, many embassies are located in crowded city areas.)

As for bombing... I assume roads in the area around the capitol are a lot more restricted than those around embassies.
Quote:
There is absolutely no excuse for people getting into the Senate chamber.
I agree.. .there is no excuse. I blame the problem on leadership. (They wouldn't need re-enforced glass if they had competent police deployment during the riot, that would have kept people from getting near the building.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 04:51 PM   #309
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Probably not. My understanding that in their last meeting Trump berated him.
Old 7th January 2021, 05:14 PM   #310
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Barr did the same today, being all critical of Trump as if Barr hadn't been the enabler in chief for the last couple years.
It's a miracle of divine proportions how all these deplorables are suddenly discovering their moral compass just as the SS Orange is in its final stage of keeling over.
Old 7th January 2021, 06:06 PM   #311
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I see nobody is taking Trump's "I will go out peacefully" tweet serioulsy.
When was the last time he said anything truthful?
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 06:08 PM   #312
shemp

Twitter and Facebook need to be destroyed. And we as a nation need to reevaluate the First Amendment regarding blatant lying and stirring up hatred and violence.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 06:09 PM   #313
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Just saw his new video.
what a pile of crap.
Obviolsy he was reading from a teleprompter under pressure.
Taking bets as to how long it will take him to backtrack from it and double down on his support for this "Special People.'

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th January 2021, 06:11 PM   #314
shemp

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Poor, poor pitiful Trump. He should be incarcerated, not just "frustrated."
Only if the incarceration is a prelude to execution for being a traitor.
Old 7th January 2021, 06:22 PM   #315
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Just saw his new video.
what a pile of crap.
Taking bets as to how long it will take him to backtrack from it and double down on his support for this "Special People.'
To those who haven't seen it, you can find it on the following web site.

At CBC.ca

A couple of things about it:

- He did a 180 regarding the terrorists in the capitol building (talking about having them arrested, etc.) But, I assume its just empty words and he will go back to praising them later.

- I assume that he posted the video to help keep his cabinet from invoking the 25th amendment (which, given the people he has in his cabinet, would probably work.) "Ignore the fact that I've been a corrupt prick for the past 4 years and praised the terrorists yesterday... I called them bad people today. We're good, m'kay?"

- Not only did he try to absolve himself (using the whole "legal votes" argument), he also referred to voter ID. Yup... just the thing to do... claim you want to bring people together, but also bring up a plan to marginalize large blocs of voters.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 06:25 PM   #316
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

He also out and out lied about his sending in the National GUard.

Mark my words, he is going backtrack on this.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th January 2021, 06:26 PM   #317
dirtywick
Master Poster

He asked them come all the way to DC to go down to the capital and take the government back. and they did. then he told them to go home, and now he wants them all arrested lol

so he betrays them too
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 06:29 PM   #318
Elagabalus
Philosopher

He also out and out lied about his sending in the National GUard.

Mark my words, he is going backtrack on this.
But he wouldn't do that!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 06:38 PM   #319
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

He tweeted the video

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonal...34804052844550
Old 7th January 2021, 06:38 PM   #320
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Just saw his new video.
what a pile of crap.
That whole thing was so artificial I'm not sure it wasn't a Deep Fake.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics