IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Parler

Old 11th January 2021, 09:25 PM   #81
lobosrul5
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
They should have left it up a bit longer but I doubt the FBI had the wherewithal to ask the media companies involved to wait.

Or maybe they did and that's why Parler was given 24 hours notice.
Amazon still has all their data. Probably 3 to 5 copies in each of their data centers.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 01:29 AM   #82
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

never mind

Last edited by Stacyhs; 12th January 2021 at 01:35 AM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 02:02 AM   #83
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Leave it to the right wing ignoramuses to screw up the clever use of the French "parler" by pronouncing it "parlor".
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 04:28 AM   #84
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
It could be, because after all this has happened, and they have been burned so badly, large numbers of them might not trust any "Parler replacement" platform. There are already rumours circulating among some conservative discussion boards that "Parler" was a honey trap set by "them". This was mooted as a possibility as early as June last year!

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2020/06/parler-is-trap.html
I doubt it was a honeytrap with Rebekah Mercer at the wheel. She's a big Republican/Trump donor. However, since she's also the person behind Cambridge Analytica and its child company, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a fair amount of data harvesting going on.
Old 12th January 2021, 04:36 AM   #85
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

because there is no money in pandering to the radical right, only those with a political agenda are willing to finance platforms like Parler.
Old 12th January 2021, 04:49 AM   #86
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Parler has found a new home
Old 12th January 2021, 06:29 AM   #87
cow_cat
Mr. Parodied

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Interesting. I wonder how ParlerV2 will separate out the old "verified" admin accounts from the newer "hacktivist" admin accounts? Further, with the Parler data dump, surely it's simple to work out username/passwords of old accounts (even if the data dump of ParlerV1 didn't store passwords in plain text) and thus become vulnerable to further attacks from "verified" accounts?

Even if ParlerV2 manages to comprehensively address any and all further security problems, I suspect that the damage has already been done. Maybe they'll rebrand it Sprechen?

Used to have another username, but I hated it.
cow_cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 10:00 AM   #88
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Thought if it was still to be based in the USA it would be them.

The article is interesting as well as I'm slightly confused about an example...

".... With users as wide-ranging as Texas Senator Ted Cruz and neo-Nazi terror groups, ....

That's meant to show wide-ranging.........

Old 12th January 2021, 10:15 AM   #89
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

*phew* Freedom of Speech is saved. That was a close one.
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 02:34 PM   #90
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cow_cat View Post
Interesting. I wonder how ParlerV2 will separate out the old "verified" admin accounts from the newer "hacktivist" admin accounts? Further, with the Parler data dump, surely it's simple to work out username/passwords of old accounts (even if the data dump of ParlerV1 didn't store passwords in plain text) and thus become vulnerable to further attacks from "verified" accounts?

Even if ParlerV2 manages to comprehensively address any and all further security problems, I suspect that the damage has already been done. Maybe they'll rebrand it Sprechen?
Which they'll rhyme with "Gretchen".
Old 12th January 2021, 02:43 PM   #91
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
If I was a Conspiracy Nut, I might think that the FBI created Parler as a trap ...
Many a true word said in jest.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 10:11 AM   #92
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Does anyone know where the "Parlor archive" can be accessed? SOMEONE has to have posted it by now.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 10:29 AM   #93
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

For all this talk about moderation policies, the CHUDs kinda lost sight of the fact that Parler isn't going to break the law for them. They will respond to subpoenas regarding the criminal behavior of their users.

Since it has such loose moderation policies, many on the service felt pretty comfortable making death threats or openly discussing their intentions to engage in criminal violence. Parler will allow you to conspire with other criminals. Parler will allow you to post videos and pictures that are rich with metadata. Parler will kindly pack this up and turn it over the feds when asked.

I can't find the link now, but there was one press release that heavily implied that someone was ID'd not from video, but from information the feds got from Parler after issuing a subpoena.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 15th January 2021 at 10:36 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 10:36 AM   #94
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
turn it over the feds when asked.

Apparently they didn't even need to be asked.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 12:06 PM   #95
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Actually, this is a good point. If they don't start from scratch (requiring all members to sign up anew) and instead, bring over their membership list, it will be difficult to determine which accounts are fake admins. Sure they could write a script to do that, but if they were so dumb as to allow their original platform to be compromised so easily, I don't have a lot of faith in their ability to do that - I mean having "verified citizen" accounts using images of both sides of an ID card/Driver's license with unencrypted real names, and actual addresses and telephone numbers? Seriously?
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 12:21 PM   #96
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

It should be simple. It is not like they give legitimate admin/moderator/whatever accounts to just anyone, right? Block all accounts with elevated rights made after date X.

Key word is should. With their incompetency, who knows what homebrew unmaintanenanceable horror they concocted.
Old 15th January 2021, 01:24 PM   #97
cow_cat
Mr. Parodied

True. I am speculating slightly on exactly what data were stored, and if the people who created all of the 'fake' admin accounts couldn't change the timestamp of data creation. As far as I know, these are unknowns.

However if you simply cycled through all users with the password 'MAGA2024!', you would probably access 10% of all accounts.

Used to have another username, but I hated it.
cow_cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 01:30 PM   #98
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

True. I am speculating slightly on exactly what data were stored, and if the people who created all of the 'fake' admin accounts couldn't change the timestamp of data creation. As far as I know, these are unknowns.

However if you simply cycled through all users with the password 'MAGA2024!', you would probably access 10% of all accounts.
Mine is safe: HeartMAGA2024!Heart

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 04:18 PM   #99
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

I like your insinuation they store passwords in plaintext.
Old 16th January 2021, 01:18 AM   #100
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I mean having "verified citizen" accounts using images of both sides of an ID card/Driver's license with unencrypted real names, and actual addresses and telephone numbers? Seriously?
This makes more sense if you consider that the owners don't care about the users, and just happen to be the people behind Cambridge Analytica. I'd be very surprised if that, or any other information was ever intended to just sit there.
Old 16th January 2021, 03:34 PM   #101
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Here's what I don't understand about the cloud. I'm assuming it is just a network of computers. If someone wanted to have their own functional social media network, why do they need, for example, Amazon? Do you need a host if you have your own network of servers?

I am thinking server is just another word for computer but I may be picturing this all wrong.

(hey ... you ... offa my cloud!")

But then I don't understand the business model to begin with. I hate getting targeted ads; I find it quite creepy. Frankly by the time you've bought into a cloud IMO you've already gone full Orwell. Or worse. "Please put me under surveillance, I don't want to miss any ads on tactical equipment or one easy trick to burning belly fat!"
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 04:02 PM   #102
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
If someone wanted to have their own functional social media network, why do they need, for example, Amazon? Do you need a host if you have your own network of servers?

I am thinking server is just another word for computer but I may be picturing this all wrong.
A server is just a computer and you don't need Amazon if you have your own network of servers. But Amazon and other cloud providers can provide them and let you focus on what you want those servers to do rather than having to "reinvent the wheel" for managing servers. And they can usually do it cheaper than you can. And offer a lot more flexibility in how fast you can scale up or scale down your needs.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 04:03 PM   #103
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
But then I don't understand the business model to begin with. I hate getting targeted ads; I find it quite creepy. Frankly by the time you've bought into a cloud IMO you've already gone full Orwell. Or worse. "Please put me under surveillance, I don't want to miss any ads on tactical equipment or one easy trick to burning belly fat!"
This is a separate topic. Being on the cloud has no impact on a service giving you targeted ads. You can do or not do that on or off the cloud.
Old 16th January 2021, 04:14 PM   #104
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
A server is just a computer and you don't need Amazon if you have your own network of servers. But Amazon and other cloud providers can provide them and let you focus on what you want those servers to do rather than having to "reinvent the wheel" for managing servers. And they can usually do it cheaper than you can. And offer a lot more flexibility in how fast you can scale up or scale down your needs.
Thanks; that was a useful answer.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2021, 05:25 PM   #105
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I've worked with a lot of companies that use to host their own servers. But many have stopped because it is cheaper in so many ways to let the big boys do it for them. That allows them to focus on their own business as opposed to also manage an IT staff and equipment. There are the servers, the electrical power, the air conditioning, the racking, the servers and disk arrays, the routers and switches, the backup equipment. And what if it goes down? These companies don't need to fret about buying Sun v HP or Cisco or F5, etc etc etc. They just ask for a specific amount of bandwidth and processing power and maybe a few other services.

That doesn't make it right for every company. But it makes a lot of sense for many.
Old 17th January 2021, 01:04 AM   #106
Wudang
BOFH

Agreed. For a few years I worked for a major bank writing tools where none existed and customising vendor tools and so much of that comes as standard with AWS. It’s not just the servers, it’s managing them.
Old 17th January 2021, 06:14 PM   #107
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Parler is back online under a new, currently unknown, web host.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/17/tech/...ine/index.html
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 01:19 AM   #108
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Parler is back online under a new, currently unknown, web host.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/17/tech/...ine/index.html
It does not seem to be back online as it says

Quote:
"Now seems like the right time to remind you all — both lovers and haters — why we started this platform," the status update said. "We believe privacy is paramount and free speech essential, especially on social media. Our aim has always been to provide a nonpartisan public square where individuals can enjoy and exercise their rights to both. We will resolve any challenge before us and plan to welcome all of you back soon. We will not let civil discourse perish!"
Old 18th January 2021, 01:27 AM   #109
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I'm betting that, as soon as Parler opens again, tech savvy people will try to find exploits.
Old 18th January 2021, 03:05 AM   #110
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I'm betting that, as soon as Parler opens again, tech savvy people will try to find exploits.
And the bastards will find them too... before the school kids have their chance.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 07:54 AM   #111
plague311
Great minds think...

Looks like their website is being hosted by Epik, who also hosts Gab I'm pretty sure, but it's just a holding page. It's not the app or anything. Just a way to let people know they still exist.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 08:05 AM   #112
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Looks like their website is being hosted by Epik, who also hosts Gab I'm pretty sure, but it's just a holding page. It's not the app or anything. Just a way to let people know they still exist.
What’s taking them so long. They said they would be back within 12 hours...

Porky pies...

Good to see how their lies are hurting their legal case.
Old 18th January 2021, 08:07 AM   #113
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Agreed. For a few years I worked for a major bank writing tools where none existed and customising vendor tools and so much of that comes as standard with AWS. It’s not just the servers, it’s managing them.
Not in this case their CEO told us they developed “bare metal” and didn’t rely on AWS infrastructure....
Old 18th January 2021, 08:59 AM   #114
zorro99
Muse

8chan was out for three months.
Old 18th January 2021, 09:01 AM   #115
zorro99
Muse

CEO John Matze told Reuters on Wednesday that much about the app and website is still up in the air after businesses cut ties to the company. Amazon said it removed Parler from its cloud-hosting service because the social media platform was not effectively moderating and removing violent content. Now Matze says the company’s fate is uncertain.

“It could be never,” he said when asked about if and when Parler will be back online for its millions of users. “We don’t know yet.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...r-return-matze
Old 18th January 2021, 09:38 AM   #116
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
CEO John Matze told Reuters on Wednesday that much about the app and website is still up in the air after businesses cut ties to the company. Amazon said it removed Parler from its cloud-hosting service because the social media platform was not effectively moderating and removing violent content. Now Matze says the company’s fate is uncertain.

“It could be never,” he said when asked about if and when Parler will be back online for its millions of users. “We don’t know yet.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...r-return-matze
That sounds like his legal team is now telling him what to say.
Old 18th January 2021, 10:07 AM   #117
plague311
Great minds think...

The time\money associated with them having to remove tons of admin accounts (which wouldn't be terrible), clean up your user database because I'm positive they didn't just make admin accounts, find out how to secure the system again, download, upload, find vendors, etc., confirm the data that should be there, is there, and so on and so on, would be massive.

I can't imagine that Parler was all that profitable before, and I have serious doubts that they'd have the immediate funding or staff to take on a project that size. I guess they do have Mrs. Moneybags, whoever that was I forgot her name, but it would still take a lot of time. I'd damn near start over.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 10:47 AM   #118
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

The technical problems are why Parler isn't up right now, but it's an open question whether it would even be popular again even if it worked right now.

the biggest problem for parler is that bubble of impunity has popped. Parler might have had extremely loose moderation standards, but that doesn't mean a thing when it comes to criminal liability.

Parler users are seeing posts and metadata show up on probable cause applications and indictments filed by the feds for many of the capitol hill invaders. The party is over, anyone who isn't currently facing criminal liability is probably sobering up and realizing that they can't go back to openly plotting criminal activity like before.

Thoughts about opsec is probably on the minds of most of the extreme right, and going back to some giant honeypot like Parler is probably the last thing they want to do.
Old 18th January 2021, 12:43 PM   #119
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

PArler has pretty much screwed itslef by it's embrace of far right extremism. The brand is simply too toxic now.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 12:49 PM   #120
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
PArler has pretty much screwed itslef by it's embrace of far right extremism. The brand is simply too toxic now.
Gab's still kicking around. Bowers posted on Gab right before shooting up the Tree of Life synagogue and it's still chugging along years later.

These places are never going to be true competitors to mainstream social media outlets, but they can probably survive as the niche hangout for various extremists.

Nazis are always going to need a place to discuss the merits of optics vs accelerationism.

Originally Posted by Robert Bowers on Gab, immediately prior to his mass shooting at a synagogue
HIAS likes to bring invaders in that kill our people. I can't sit by and watch my people get slaughtered. Screw your optics, I'm going in.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 18th January 2021 at 01:39 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics