IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Where are we heading as a nation?
The insurrectionists are going to win and Trump will be President for Life. 1 1.16%
Several states will attempt to secede and we'll be in another Civil War. 3 3.49%
There will be a long period of terrorism but not a real Civil War. 38 44.19%
The insurrectionists will eventually be taken down but many lives will be lost. 36 41.86%
Cooler heads will prevail and we'll reach some level of calm. 26 30.23%
Planet X will invade and we'll all be killed! 6 6.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th January 2021, 09:56 AM   #41
carlosy
Critical Thinker

I fear that the seed of corrosive lies has been planted so widespread and often, it will be almost impossible to get out of this without going through a very deep and violent valley first.

All these millions of people won't admit to themselves being conned. No. Even if the Trumps and Hannitys etc. all of a sudden would turn 180° around. No, they would rather suggest that those people have been brainwashed or are under some kind of supression.

The sprouts of these seeds won't go away anytime soon.
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 10:24 AM   #42
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
In 5-10 years the their supporters is congress will be the "sane Republicans" being pushed aside by a new even more extreme version of the political right. It's been the pattern for decades now and I see no reason why it would change now.
It will change for simple reason - this situation is already unstable. This kind of spiral into degeneracy cannot be endless and has only two possible finales.

Either they win and USA becomes authoritarian right-wing state or they lose and share fate of their spiritual ancestors from first civil war and spiritual brothers from second world war.

There will be a lot of blood.
Old 12th January 2021, 10:55 AM   #43
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I think a better question would be "what are you doing about the direction your country is headed?" For the overwhelming majority, little to nothing.
I run a sig line in some places that reads:

The biggest problem facing mankind is apathy.
But nobody cares.
Old 18th January 2021, 12:29 AM   #44
Dude111
Thinker

People are getting tired of all this........ Eventually they will explode!!!!!
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 11:15 AM   #45
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

This ******* thread. This was the worst possible thing I could have read today, jesus, I'm basically suicidal now. How can you guys even handle your own thoughts, let alone posting them calmly and matter-of-factly? My brain is broken.

I thought there might be a tiny bit of hope when nothing happened yesterday, but now I've gone down the climate change rabbit hole, and I feel a million times worse than I ever have before.
Old 18th January 2021, 11:16 AM   #46
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Serious answer.

I think if you crunched the numbers most of people in this thread are Gen Xers and this weird and very difficult to describe mixture of pure, true apathy and honestly hating apathy but being resigned to it at the same time is our natural default state.

If you're... like 40-ish you've been told near constantly your entire life that the world was going to end any day now. Various (and this can manifest in a LOT of ways) forms of detached apathy is the only way to really deal with that.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 18th January 2021 at 11:25 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 11:26 AM   #47
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Serious answer.

I think if you crunched the numbers most of people in this thread are Gen Xers and this weird and very difficult to describe mixture of pure, true apathy and honestly hating apathy but being resigned to it at the same time is our natural default state.

If you're... like 40-ish you've been told near constantly your entire life that the world was going to end any day now. Various (and this can manifest in a LOT of ways) forms of detached apathy is the only way to really deal with that.
I believe I already covered all of that when I said "sex toilet". Honestly, this forum...it's like the words "sex toilet" mean nothing to you people!! *polishes monocle on a passing cat*
Old 18th January 2021, 11:46 AM   #48
Cain
Straussian

Your friendly reminder that if 22,000 people across three states had voted for Trump instead of Biden, then the Orange Menace would have legally secured four more years. (Clinton needed a 40,000 vote swing, and significantly fewer people voted in that election.)
Old 18th January 2021, 11:47 AM   #49
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Don't ask questions, just get in the Handbasket.
Old 18th January 2021, 11:59 AM   #50
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Your friendly reminder that if 22,000 people across three states had voted for Trump instead of Biden, then the Orange Menace would have legally secured four more years. (Clinton needed a 40,000 vote swing, and significantly fewer people voted in that election.)
Additional friendly reminder that if those uptight Capitol police just stepped aside and let the protesters express themselves, they would still be scrubbing blood and entrails off the floors.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 12:31 PM   #51
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Extra additional reminder that the cosmos is inexorably headed towards ekpyrotic apocatastasis.
Old 18th January 2021, 01:19 PM   #52
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
This iteration will disappear soon, but the forces in the background enabling them and egging them on will continue unabated. In 5-10 years the their supporters is congress will be the "sane Republicans" being pushed aside by a new even more extreme version of the political right. It's been the pattern for decades now and I see no reason why it would change now.
The backlash from progressives has been getting steadily stronger, too. Also, whites are shrinking as a demographic in the US.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 04:21 PM   #53
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Butter! View Post
I thought there might be a tiny bit of hope when nothing happened yesterday, but now I've gone down the climate change rabbit hole, and I feel a million times worse than I ever have before.
Don't let a few doomsayers knock you down.

I think things are being well and truly over-stated.

You have a small minority of utter idiots causing trouble. There was a protest where a whole eight people turned up. Things are nowhere near as bad as they seem, and my comment that USA is going down the toilet isn't a guide that I think you're going to fall in a heap.

Biden looks like he's going to do lots of things immediately which will help.

Keep hope alive!
Old 18th January 2021, 07:50 PM   #54
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I think the future looks increasingly grim. The current crisis will linger. Consider close to 75 million Americans voted for four more years of donald trump. Demographics will play an important role in decreasing the tension. My pessimistic hunch is, by the time we really regroup as a nation -- in another generation or two -- it will be when the climate change crisis begins to get out of control. We begin to have cycles of massive storms, causing severe damage and economic loss. Extreme summer heat waves where temperatures reach unsurvivable levels for days at a time. I read an interview with a very accomplished scientist who said he's given up. He thinks the window of opportunity to rollback the danger has closed. That humankind has been revealed as not having the political will to do what we had to do.

He said that we will not be the first species to become extinct. That the world will go on without missing us.

It's very gloomy but I have a hunch he's probably right. This movie has a very unhappy ending. Everyone dies in the final scene.
I think the future looks rosy. With joe biden sworn in as President, migrant caravans already on the way, FBI vetting National Guard soldiers to weed out Republicans. Conservatives blacklisted from social media and jobs. What more could you ask for? Dissenting opinions are being silenced. The New Green deal is coming to save the World. Soon we'll all gather at the remnants of the freshly demolished border wall, hold hands and suckle at the Government teat as we welcome all to the new land of free.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” August 14, 2017 President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 07:59 PM   #55
dirtywick
Master Poster

lol yeah losing your Instagram account is being silenced
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 08:01 PM   #56
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

From Instagram I guess yep.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” August 14, 2017 President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 08:07 PM   #57
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
WAHH SMAAHH BLAH BLAGH GUCKK GRGLKJ MUH AHOOBAP SHZZ
And guess who gets to clean toilets* at the Compulsory Regurgitation and Humility Clinic in Castor Oil Springs, Nevada? Why, every identifiable trumphaloon on every obscure intronet forum ever devised! You thought it wouldn't hurt to spend a few idle half-hours tapping out rightie tightie whitee bilge on line? Harh! Happy triangulation to you, suggah!

* Okay, burning out honey buckets. Same diff.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 08:15 PM   #58
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Nadda
Old 18th January 2021, 08:20 PM   #59
bam
Scholar

I think the future looks rosy. With joe biden sworn in as President, migrant caravans already on the way, FBI vetting National Guard soldiers to weed out Republicans. Conservatives blacklisted from social media and jobs. What more could you ask for? Dissenting opinions are being silenced. The New Green deal is coming to save the World. Soon we'll all gather at the remnants of the freshly demolished border wall, hold hands and suckle at the Government teat as we welcome all to the new land of free.
If a squatch doesn't take you out first, right?
bam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 08:24 PM   #60
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

If conservatives ever decide to stick to the facts they will get all kinds of online support. When they want to make unlimited, anonymous claims about a political opponent? No. There's a process for that. Our country has been doing its level best to follow the process but some simply think it shouldn't apply.

Conservative media will reclaim credibility when they quit lying and distorting stories. People have seen how it ends: With an invasion of the US Capitol. You hosed your own credibility. Stop whining, get better facts and vet content for misleading claims, name-calling, etc. It's not that difficult, really. It's amazing what you can say when you stick to the facts.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 08:25 PM   #61
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bam View Post
If a squatch doesn't take you out first, right?
I don't think they have those in Thailand. Which is where I'll be spending most of my time over the next few years.
Old 18th January 2021, 08:29 PM   #62
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
it is clear terrorism when Representatives make political decisions because they are afraid of physical violence.
That would be the definition of politically effective terrorism.

If schools or businesses take action because they are afraid, that would be effective social [or any word you think fits here] terrorism.

But what about all the serious acts of terrorism that don't get the results wanted?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 08:29 PM   #63
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Let's not forget how much right wing violence and terrorism there was between 1880 and 1970.
Right-wing violence and terrorism in the 60s? LOL - what are you, 10 yrs old? Or did you just flunk American history over and over?

And what planet did you live on in 2020? You missed a ton of top-notch left-wing violence. Or 2014 when they championed the Ferguson, Missouri lunacy with nationwide riots and turning that city into a virtual war zone...all without cause or the vaguest clue of actual facts which blew apart their self-righteous "justification?" I could go on.

My point is, and I hate to break it to you happily and willfully blind extremists, but there are many and a growing number of violence-for-the-sake-of-violence slime on BOTH "sides," left and right, pretending they have a valid reason, and they are equally mindless and disgusting.

But they aren't the real problem. They've always been with us. The real problem is all the village idiots all to happy to back them up, or at least tolerate them. If sh## really hits the fan in a big way in this country, you can thank them. And again, there are plenty of them on both sides of the fence.

Last edited by bigred; 18th January 2021 at 08:32 PM.
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 08:30 PM   #64
bam
Scholar

I don't think they have those in Thailand. Which is where I'll be spending most of my time over the next few years.
Watch out for the Butnak then, it's scary too!
bam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 08:30 PM   #65
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
If conservatives ever decide to stick to the facts they will get all kinds of online support. When they want to make unlimited, anonymous claims about a political opponent? No. There's a process for that. Our country has been doing its level best to follow the process but some simply think it shouldn't apply.

Conservative media will reclaim credibility when they quit lying and distorting stories. People have seen how it ends: With an invasion of the US Capitol. You hosed your own credibility. Stop whining, get better facts and vet content for misleading claims, name-calling, etc. It's not that difficult, really. It's amazing what you can say when you stick to the facts.
Oh, that's a lot of "you's" in your post. To be clear none of those "you's" applies to me personally of course.

I totally agree that dishonest media has a credibility issue. Nick Sandman has found the cure for some of them.
Old 18th January 2021, 08:32 PM   #66
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bam View Post
Watch out for the Butnak then, it's scary too!

Not the kind of Butnaks I plan to view at the beach. Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 18th January 2021, 08:33 PM   #67
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

There's plenty else to choose from.

Naree pon.

Batutut

You will have fun.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 08:33 PM   #68
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Butter! View Post
This ******* thread. This was the worst possible thing I could have read today, jesus, I'm basically suicidal now. How can you guys even handle your own thoughts, let alone posting them calmly and matter-of-factly? My brain is broken.

40 more hours and counting down.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 08:43 PM   #69
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by bigred View Post
Right-wing violence and terrorism in the 60s? LOL - what are you, 10 yrs old? Or did you just flunk American history over and over?

And what planet did you live on in 2020? You missed a ton of top-notch left-wing violence. Or 2014 when they championed the Ferguson, Missouri lunacy with nationwide riots and turning that city into a virtual war zone...all without cause or the vaguest clue of actual facts which blew apart their self-righteous "justification?" I could go on.
Cities turned into war zones? A couple square blocks?

Quote:
My point is, and I hate to break it to you happily and willfully blind extremists, but there are many and a growing number of violence-for-the-sake-of-violence slime on BOTH "sides," left and right, pretending they have a valid reason, and they are equally mindless and disgusting.

But they aren't the real problem. They've always been with us. The real problem is all the village idiots all to happy to back them up, or at least tolerate them. If sh## really hits the fan in a big way in this country, you can thank them. And again, there are plenty of them on both sides of the fence.
Like Trump said, there are good people in that Nazi tiki torch march.

Your false equivalence is unsupportable if you think a violent mob swarming the Capitol to try to overturn a legitimate election is no different from frustrated people reacting to police killing unarmed black men again and again.
Old 18th January 2021, 08:46 PM   #70
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Which three States? Arizona and Georgia have Biden at +22,236 votes by themselves, but they only give a total of 27 EC votes which would have dropped Biden to 279. Still enough to win. The next least votes would be Wisconson, which would have given Trump a 271 win, but that was a difference of +20,682 to Biden meaning he had +42,918 votes in those three states.

But this is also always going to be the way of things with the current setup and having swing States. The so-called "Swing States" are going to be close races and will also decide the result, so there will always be a handful of votes from a few select states that determine the election. What really matters is that in 2016 those states were Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania, traditionally Blue states. In 2020 is was Arizona, Georgia, and Wisconsin, two of which are traditionally Red.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 08:58 PM   #71
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Never mind, it's not worth the effort.

Last edited by ChrisBFRPKY; 18th January 2021 at 09:02 PM. Reason: deleted comment for stress relief.
Old 18th January 2021, 09:03 PM   #72
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, that's a lot of "you's" in your post. To be clear none of those "you's" applies to me personally of course.

I totally agree that dishonest media has a credibility issue. Nick Sandman has found the cure for some of them.
And yet they ... omigod ... the "dishonest" media admit it, and Nick Sandman is being well-compensated for his initial humiliation. He certainly got a heck of an education.

That's something the right wing just doesn't seem to get. MSM journalists hate to be wrong; they will fall all over themselves trying to make up for their error. I don't see anything analogous going on in the right-wing media. They simply lie longer and louder.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 09:08 PM   #73
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

And yet they ... omigod ... the "dishonest" media admit it, and Nick Sandman is being well-compensated for his initial humiliation. He certainly got a heck of an education.

That's something the right wing just doesn't seem to get. MSM journalists hate to be wrong; they will fall all over themselves trying to make up for their error. I don't see anything analogous going on in the right-wing media. They simply lie longer and louder.
Legal action is the cure for any lying media. I wonder if the right-wing outlets have been sued or proven in court to have lied? I suppose it may be worth an online search to see what media outlets have been sued for lying altogether. Could be educational.
Old 18th January 2021, 09:08 PM   #74
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Never mind, it's not worth the effort.
Can you defend your data or not? It shouldn't be that hard to explain. Were you right or wrong?

ETA, never mind, I misread another post.

Last edited by Minoosh; 18th January 2021 at 09:28 PM.
Old 18th January 2021, 09:26 PM   #75
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Legal action is the cure for any lying media. I wonder if the right-wing outlets have been sued or proven in court to have lied?
Dominion is the one that comes up right away. It was fun watching right-wing pundits eat their words. The right-wing pundits got attention, that's the important thing. But it turns out per court rulings that right-wing pundits are not to be taken seriously in any event. So Fox News gets away with constant lying.
Old 18th January 2021, 09:29 PM   #76
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Dominion is the one that comes up right away. It was fun watching right-wing pundits eat their words. The right-wing pundits got attention, that's the important thing. But it turns out per court rulings that right-wing pundits are not to be taken seriously in any event. So Fox News gets away with constant lying.
I've only found that Dominion has made threats to sue Fox and Newsmax. A threat is not legal action. They should really file some legal action or admit they can't. If they lied on me I'd take them to court. Not doing so is kinda an admission that they can't.....
Old 18th January 2021, 09:30 PM   #77
crescent
Illuminator

Legal action is the cure for any lying media. I wonder if the right-wing outlets have been sued or proven in court to have lied? I suppose it may be worth an online search to see what media outlets have been sued for lying altogether. Could be educational.
Have you not been following coverage of Dominion voting systems?

American Thinker already caved and has published a retraction of all of its claims regarding Dominion Voting systems - this retraction was in direct response to a lawsuit threat. Here's the retraction:

Quote:
We received a lengthy letter from Dominion's defamation lawyers explaining why they believe that their client has been the victim of defamatory statements. Having considered the full import of the letter, we have agreed to their request that we publish the following statement:

American Thinker and contributors Andrea Widburg, R.D. Wedge, Brian Tomlinson, and Peggy Ryan have published pieces on www.AmericanThinker.com that falsely accuse US Dominion Inc., Dominion Voting Systems, Inc., and Dominion Voting Systems Corporation (collectively “Dominion”) of conspiring to steal the November 2020 election from Donald Trump. These pieces rely on discredited sources who have peddled debunked theories about Dominion’s supposed ties to Venezuela, fraud on Dominion’s machines that resulted in massive vote switching or weighted votes, and other claims falsely stating that there is credible evidence that Dominion acted fraudulently.

These statements are completely false and have no basis in fact. Industry experts and public officials alike have confirmed that Dominion conducted itself appropriately and that there is simply no evidence to support these claims.

It was wrong for us to publish these false statements. We apologize to Dominion for all of the harm this caused them and their employees. We also apologize to our readers for abandoning 9 journalistic principles and misrepresenting Dominion’s track record and its limited role in tabulating votes for the November 2020 election. We regret this grave error.

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...#ixzz6jxvUnZFE
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

In addition:
Quote:
The lawsuit names as defendants the Trump campaign, Rudy Giuliani, Trump adviser Sidney Powell, conservative media outlets One America News Network and Newsmax Media, the right-wing website Gateway Pundit, and Colorado businessman and activist Joseph Oltmann, among others. CNN has reached out to those named in the lawsuit.

They threatened to sue Fox as well, getting a retraction from them, too.

In that aspect at least, truth is winning. All major parties that spread the disinformation about Dominion have retracted due to threats of lawsuits, or are currently getting sued. Pretty much the entire right-wing media. Note that NONE of them retracted prior to getting sued. They cannot be honest on their own, legal force must be applied.

Last edited by crescent; 18th January 2021 at 09:33 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 09:32 PM   #78
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Have you not been following coverage of Dominion voting systems?

American Thinker already caved and has published a retraction of all of its claims regarding Dominion Voting systems - this retraction was in direct response to a lawsuit.

In addition:

They threatened to sue Fox as well, getting a retraction from them, too.

In that aspect at least, truth is winning. All major parties that spread the disinformation about Dominion have retracted due to threats of lawsuits, or are currently getting sued. Pretty much the entire right-wing media. Note that NONE of them retracted prior to getting sued. They cannot be honest on their own, legal force must be applied.
I guess we kinda posted near the same time. But agreed I have only found that Dominion has threatened to sue.
Old 18th January 2021, 09:33 PM   #79
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Which three States? Arizona and Georgia have Biden at +22,236 votes by themselves, but they only give a total of 27 EC votes which would have dropped Biden to 279. Still enough to win. The next least votes would be Wisconson, which would have given Trump a 271 win, but that was a difference of +20,682 to Biden meaning he had +42,918 votes in those three states.
Wisconsin does not give Trump a 271 win. Wisconsin's 10 EC votes give Trump a 269-269 tie in the EC; since no one received a majority, it goes to the House, where Trump wins. As for a ~43,000 vote gap, I specifically said that people who voted for Biden had instead gone for Trump.
Old 18th January 2021, 09:46 PM   #80
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Your false equivalence is unsupportable if you think a violent mob swarming the Capitol to try to overturn a legitimate election is no different from frustrated people reacting to police killing unarmed black men again and again.
The trouble is you are viewing it from a Leftist POV, what you have posted is your truth and yes it is closer to reality, but you have to understand that there are three realities in the US currently. Objective Reality, Leftist Reality (which is close, but not exactly, Objective Reality,) and the Trump/Alt-right media created Reality, and to people caught up in the last one, it is as real to them as our present reality is to us.

They don't see a mob trying to overturn a legitimate election, they see a group of patriots trying to prevent an illegitimate and stolen election from being rubber-stamped without a valid investigation.

They don't see frustrated people reacting to the police killing an unarmed black man. They see people rioting and burning their own neighbourhoods and businesses because a police officer was forced to defend himself against a criminal who initially tried to take the officer's gun, and then after trying and failing to flee, turned around and charged at the officer in an attempt to do further harm to him.

This isn't even a case of talking past each other now, it's a case of the US Right and Left living and seeing two entirely different worlds, and until both sides can come together and actually agree on a shared reality, not a lot can be done.

And yes most of this is on the Right who have been fed a steady line of lies and alternative facts for the past four decades if not longer, but part of the recovery going forward needs to be the Left acknowledging that those on the Right see a very different world, one in which their actions not only make sense but are fully legitimate.

Once you understand and accept this then you can start to find ways to bring them out of that POV, but you know what doesn't help? Calling them names and claiming that they are evil and deplorable, or stupid and deluded. All that does is push them deeper into the fake world that they have had created around them.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 18th January 2021 at 09:49 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics