ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 14th March 2019, 06:14 PM   #2081
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Someone should tell him about what happened when Mick Jagger decided to use the Hell's Angles as security at Altamont.........
Jagger didn't decide anything about the Hell's Angels at Altamont. Not only that, they were never hired as security at all. For some free beer they were supposed to keep people away from the power generators. They took it upon themselves to do more than that.

The decision to have the Angels guard the generators was made by the manager of the Stones and the manager of the Greatful Dead. This was by the recommendation of the Greatful Dead and the Jefferson Airplane because they had used the Angels before without any problems.

No, the Hell's Angels weren't there because of Mick Jagger.
Old 14th March 2019, 06:16 PM   #2082
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I wonder if the Biker gangs are among those who Trump is considering as part of his Volunteer Border Security Force .
Someone should tell him about what happened when Mick Jagger decided to use the Hell's Angles as security at Altamont.........
They killed a dark-skinned man, so he and his followers are probably fine with it.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 06:18 PM   #2083
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
They killed a dark-skinned man
Do you know why that happened?
Old 14th March 2019, 09:51 PM   #2084
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

[I am waiting for the really sensitive tweet we are going to get from Trumpy about the New Zealand Tragedy.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 14th March 2019 at 09:53 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:34 PM   #2085
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I am waiting for the really sensitive tweet we are going to get from Trumpy about the New Zealand Tragedy.
Betting it will involve gun-control laws not working and a whole bunch of false information about the perpetrator(s). And little or no sympathy, or even a mention, for the Muslim victims. Let's see how close I am...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:45 PM   #2086
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Betting it will involve gun-control laws not working and a whole bunch of false information about the perpetrator(s). And little or no sympathy, or even a mention, for the Muslim victims. Let's see how close I am...
And how there are good people on both sides.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 01:04 AM   #2087
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
I'll give him this - if there's a no-deal Brexit, the US would certainly be negotiating from a position of strength.
This is Trump, though. He'll manage to mess it up and proclaim victory anyways.

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Beat me to it. Thanks for saving me the trouble!

Well. Really nasty flooding happening in the Midwest. I'm not sure what to say beyond... I quite hope that the lives of those people can go back to normal soon.

In other news... Georgia Republicans reward governor's cronies with $150 million deal for insecure voting machines.

At least three times the cost of paper ballots, vulnerable to hacking and manipulation, bought from a company that the deal makers were linked to pretty firmly... what's not to like for Georgia Republicans? To get this, they've even tried sweetening the deal for Democrats by adding limited fixes to some of the issues identified by Stacy Abrams.

Quote:
Those provisions include requiring 30-day notice of any changes to polling places and prohibiting changes within 60 days of an election; requiring officials to mail voters a provisional ballot if their absentee ballot signature doesn't appear to match the one on file; notifying voters before their registrations are canceled; and relaxing Georgia's draconian "exact-match" law, which had suspended tens of thousands of voters' registrations whose applications to register had even trivial discrepancies—like a misplaced hyphen—with information in government databases.
Mmm. While those are good things, the vulnerability that those voting machines have to being abused by a few bad actors is something that should very much be addressed directly. Beyond that, just about anything that can be potentially be abused that's championed by Kemp is a huge red flag, in and of itself.

Last edited by Aridas; 15th March 2019 at 01:06 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 01:25 AM   #2088
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

BREAKING: The New Zealand Mosque shooter says in his manifesto that he admires Donald Trump because Trump is “a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose.”

https://twitter.com/shaunking/status...050243584?s=19

I wonder what Trump will tweet that tacitly praise that monster?

"People are saying that I'm a symbol...."
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 01:49 AM   #2089
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Breitbart News Network http://bit.ly/2KyoPz9 via @BreitbartNews

Breitbart - Breitbart News Network
Syndicated news and opinion website providing continuously updated headlines to top news and analysis sources.

breitbart.com
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:28 AM   #2090
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The ‘Jexodus’ movement encourages Jewish people to leave the Democrat Party. Total disrespect! Republicans are waiting with open arms. Remember Jerusalem (U.S. Embassy) and the horrible Iran Nuclear Deal! @OANN @foxandfriends
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 06:12 AM   #2091
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The ‘Jexodus’ movement encourages Jewish people to leave the Democrat Party. Total disrespect! Republicans are waiting with open arms. Remember Jerusalem (U.S. Embassy) and the horrible Iran Nuclear Deal! @OANN @foxandfriends
Yes that makes sense. Jump from the democrats to the republicans... The party who's leader saw a gathering of neo-nazis chanting anti-jewish slogans and concluded they were "fine people".

Sent from my LG-K121 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 08:10 AM   #2092
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Here is a picture of all the Jewish republican congressmen currently in the senate.

(The republicans have not had a jewish senator for roughly a decade, whereas the Democrats have over half a dozen in congress right now.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ongress#Senate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chairs.jpg (17.5 KB, 9 views)

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 09:26 AM   #2093
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I see that Trump is trying to ignfore the fact the he was one of the New Zealand shooters heros.......

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th March 2019, 09:32 AM   #2094
autumn1971
Master Poster

I see that Trump is trying to ignfore the fact the he was one of the New Zealand shooters heros.......
No, he’ll just masrurbate to it later.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 09:41 AM   #2095
Scootch
Muse

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
No, he’ll just masrurbate to it later.
That is sadly funny
Scootch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 10:46 AM   #2096
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

So how many trump inspired mass shooters have there been to date?
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 10:52 AM   #2097
Stacyhs
Philosopher

While not all who voted for Trump are bigots/racists, those who are bigots/racists tended to vote for Trump. Clearly they see something in Trump that draws them to him. I wonder what that could be?
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 10:53 AM   #2098
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I’d like to thank all of the Great Republican Senators who bravely voted for Strong Border Security and the WALL. This will help stop Crime, Human Trafficking, and Drugs entering our Country. Watch, when you get back to your State, they will LOVE you more than ever before!
Old 15th March 2019, 11:04 AM   #2099
Steve
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

I’d like to thank all of the Great Republican Senators who bravely voted for Strong Border Security and the WALL. This will help stop Crime, Human Trafficking, and Drugs entering our Country. Watch, when you get back to your State, they will LOVE you more than ever before!
I wonder why he thinks they were "brave".
Old 15th March 2019, 11:21 AM   #2100
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Quote:
Trump Tweets

Exactly. Given the fact that he thinks/claims the border wall is such a popular plan, then voting to have it funded is pretty much the exact opposite of brave. (Bravery is doing the right thing even if you know its unpopular.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 15th March 2019, 11:54 AM   #2101
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

Trump's crude attempt at buttering people up?
Old 15th March 2019, 11:57 AM   #2102
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Standing up to Pelosi demands great courage.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 12:02 PM   #2103
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Declaring that the location of another country's capital city is a priority for US Jews simply because they're Jewish is anti-semitic ranting.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 01:49 PM   #2104
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
While not all who voted for Trump are bigots/racists, those who are bigots/racists tended to vote for Trump. Clearly they see something in Trump that draws them to him. I wonder what that could be?

While I understand that sentiment and may, in some circumstances, be willing to extend such a benefit of doubt for those voters, I cannot do the same for the ones who continue to support him after the events of the past more than two years.

They have demonstrated themselves to be unrepentant and probably irredeemable. Deplorables have become the hallmark of the GOP.

Last edited by quadraginta; 15th March 2019 at 02:01 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 02:12 PM   #2105
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
While I understand that sentiment and may, in some circumstances, be willing to extend such a benefit of doubt for those voters, I cannot do the same for the ones who continue to support him after the events of the past more than two years.

They have demonstrated themselves to be unrepentant and probably irredeemable. Deplorables have become the hallmark of the GOP.
Agreed. At some point, the blinders have to all from the eyes. If they still support him, it's because they like what he is.

Ronna McDaniel, chairwoman of the RNC, told Chris Cuomo recently that she doesn't look to Trump for her moral instruction; goes to church for that. She cares more what his policies are. She's admitting that it doesn't matter what Trump does or what he is as long as he gives her what she wants politically. I bet she sang a different tune when it was Clinton having an affair.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 02:36 PM   #2106
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
BREAKING: The New Zealand Mosque shooter says in his manifesto that he admires Donald Trump because Trump is “a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose.”

https://twitter.com/shaunking/status...050243584?s=19

I wonder what Trump will tweet that tacitly praise that monster?

"People are saying that I'm a symbol...."
I picture his staff and/or daughter standing guard to keep him from doing that. I picture him being unable not to.
Old 15th March 2019, 03:18 PM   #2107
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed. At some point, the blinders have to all from the eyes. If they still support him, it's because they like what he is.

Ronna McDaniel, chairwoman of the RNC, told Chris Cuomo recently that she doesn't look to Trump for her moral instruction; goes to church for that. She cares more what his policies are. She's admitting that it doesn't matter what Trump does or what he is as long as he gives her what she wants politically. I bet she sang a different tune when it was Clinton having an affair.
Trump has pretty much stuffed the RNC with toadies.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th March 2019, 03:25 PM   #2108
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Trump just couldn't help himself, slipping in some of the very same rhetoric the Christchurch shooter had used ('an invasion') as he vetoed the Senate resolution cancelling his national emergency, mere moments after offering up sympathy to the victims of the shooting.
KDLarsen is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 03:58 PM   #2109
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

If you think about it Christians also don't care that their God is inherently moral . He commits mass genocide, promotes racism, sexism, child murder, torture, rape, slavery and countless other atrocities.

But he loves you.

Apologizing for abhorrent behavior comes naturally to them.
Old 15th March 2019, 04:12 PM   #2110
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
Trump just couldn't help himself, slipping in some of the very same rhetoric the Christchurch shooter had used ('an invasion') as he vetoed the Senate resolution cancelling his national emergency, mere moments after offering up sympathy to the victims of the shooting.
I found the wording very odd: warmest sympathies. Trump doesn't have sympathy for anyone other than himself. It's a symptom of narcissism. I think he flipped through his greeting cards stash and confused a sympathy card with a birthday card sending warmest wishes.
Old 15th March 2019, 04:54 PM   #2111
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

In the massive coverage of the New Zealand massacre,it's sort of going unnoticied that the Trump/Kim bromance seems on the edge of breaking up, with North Korea threatening to resume Missile testing.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th March 2019, 04:56 PM   #2112
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I can only find the one word and Trump has used it before.

Vox: The New Zealand shooter called immigrants “invaders.” Hours later, so did Trump.

They go on to note other instances of calling migrants invaders.

I'm not saying Trump's words today weren't disgusting, they were. But it seems more like the shooter copied Trump's rhetoric not the other way around.
Old 15th March 2019, 04:57 PM   #2113
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently Republicans are reluctant to blame white nationalism for the NZ shootings.
The GOP Has truly sold it soul for power.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th March 2019, 05:10 PM   #2114
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

I found the wording very odd: warmest sympathies. Trump doesn't have sympathy for anyone other than himself. It's a symptom of narcissism. I think he flipped through his greeting cards stash and confused a sympathy card with a birthday card sending warmest wishes.
I'm reminded of the note he was holding reminding him to show sympathy for the victims while speaking to survivors of that school shooting.

Dog whistles. He's showing the racists and Nazis that he offers sympathy because he has to, while simultaneously reassuring them that he "gets" them.
Old 15th March 2019, 05:13 PM   #2115
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Can you imagine The PDJT uttering the phrase "Radical Christian Terrorism"?
Old 15th March 2019, 11:24 PM   #2116
Aridas

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I can only find the one word and Trump has used it before.

Vox: The New Zealand shooter called immigrants “invaders.” Hours later, so did Trump.

They go on to note other instances of calling migrants invaders.

I'm not saying Trump's words today weren't disgusting, they were. But it seems more like the shooter copied Trump's rhetoric not the other way around.
That kind of language has been around for a long time, at last check? I seem to recall similar white supremacist rhetoric being written back in the 1800's, for example? Thus, I wouldn't attribute the rhetoric to Trump specifically. He's not even remotely a pioneer in that respect. What Trump is is an invigorating figure and symbol for white supremacists.

Apparently Republicans are reluctant to blame white nationalism for the NZ shootings.
The GOP Has truly sold it soul for power.
Hardly a surprise, given that the Republican base was 89% white, as of 2013, and there's been little reason for that to change much. Also, again, one of their major long term strategies has been that they've been trying to make their white base feel victimized to motivate them to vote, especially in the Obama years and the Trump years. This isn't even remotely the first time that the GOP showed strong displeasure with the very concept of condemning white supremacist violence.

ETA: Ahh, right. It is likely worth repeating, again, that the Trump Administration has pointedly ended a number of programs that were put in place to prevent white supremacist terrorism. That's a bit of a political firecracker right there, especially if they acknowledge that there's an actual problem there that needs addressed.

On to other things, though.

Iowa Republicans want to make it legally impossible for many public college students to vote

Quote:
True to form, Republican Iowa state senators have passed a bill out of committee that includes a range of provisions designed to make it harder or even impossible for many citizens to vote. Worst among these provisions is a measure that would ban college students at the state's three public universities—the University of Iowa, Iowa State University, and the University of Northern Iowa—from voting if they don't answer on a required form that they plan to stay in Iowa after graduation.
There's plenty more WTF BS when you look at the list.

Mike Pompeo Revokes Visas of ICC Staff Over Investigation Attempt

Quote:
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced the US will deny or revoke visas for International Criminal Court staff.

The move is meant to deter a potential investigation by the judicial body into alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity committed by US troops in Afghanistan.
Anyone else think that this is moronic and petty?

Missouri Republican proposes law forcing all residents to own an AR-15 and another one forcing all citizens to own a handgun

There are so many things wrong with this that it's actually a little funny in the WTF kind of way.

Last edited by Aridas; 15th March 2019 at 11:57 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 11:47 PM   #2117
SezMe
post-pre-born

trump Tweets

Congratulations @Toyota! BIG NEWS for U.S. Auto Workers! The USMCA is already fixing the broken NAFTA deal.Donald J. Trump added,

Toyota USA
Verified account
@Toyota
We’re revving up our U.S. investment to $13 billion over five years and adding nearly 600 new American jobs. Check out what’s happening at our plants across five states! https://toyota.us/2VQVghw
600 jobs over five years. Big Yipee! The Dow will hit 1055.... at least. MAGA!
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 11:55 PM   #2118
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Another little loss for Trump:<snip>
My (very limited) understanding is that he will be subject to an testimony under oath about his many ... what shall I say .... dalliances. He's got two choices: 1) lie, and 2) admit to a lot of philandering. Choice #1 is obvious for him.

But lying under oath is EXACTLY what nailed Slick Willy with impeachment proceedings. Could the GOP ignore the direct parallel? Yes, of course, but it might be entertaining.

The big question: would such testimony be made public?

Last edited by SezMe; 15th March 2019 at 11:57 PM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 12:08 AM   #2119
Aridas

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
My (very limited) understanding is that he will be subject to an testimony under oath about his many ... what shall I say .... dalliances. He's got two choices: 1) lie, and 2) admit to a lot of philandering. Choice #1 is obvious for him.

But lying under oath is EXACTLY what nailed Slick Willy with impeachment proceedings. Could the GOP ignore the direct parallel? Yes, of course, but it might be entertaining.

The big question: would such testimony be made public?
Speaking of dalliances... Looks like the Stormy Daniel's saga isn't over yet.

Former Fox News reporter will now testify to Congress despite non-disclosure agreement with network

Quote:
Falzone attorney Nancy Erika Smith appeared again on “The Beat” after they received the request from Rep. Cummings and she said Falzone will comply with the Congressional inquiry. “The law requires that you be allowed to participate in any government investigation — and no NDA can stop that.”
Old 16th March 2019, 05:34 AM   #2120
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/BettyBowers/stat...58917084479488

Quote:
Trump dismissed White Nationalism as a growing threat today.

FACT CHECK: Every single American killed by extremists in 2018 was murdered by a white supremacist or far right extremist. Every. One.
Also: https://twitter.com/BettyBowers/stat...89254950928384

Quote:
The only time Donald Trump says “I don’t know enough about it yet to comment” is when a white supremacist has murdered people.

Otherwise, nobody knows more about *anything* than Donald.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics