ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags defamation cases , lawsuits , media criticism , Nathan Phillips , Nick Sandmann , protest incidents , racism charges

Old 20th January 2019, 11:22 AM   #121
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Horrible little brats. And what is wrong with their school bringing them to an anti-abortion rally anyway? I went to a Catholic school and, devout as they were, no way would the nuns ever have taken us for a day out on a political protest.
The anti-abortion crowds are getting small as the god-botherers are dying off.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 11:25 AM   #122
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by baron View Post
If there was tension, who was causing it? It's pretty obvious it was the black group so why didn't he confront them? The answer is simple, he wasn't trying to diffuse anything, he was doing what activists do, drawing attention to a cause.
I won't speak on his behalf, as I don't know what his intentions were. You claim to know, and I think it'll be fairly evident by now that nothing I say will change your mind, and I have no desire to do that anyway so....ok. Whatever you say. I would point out that the person wearing the MAGA hat knows exactly what he's doing as well. Just because you guys deny that there is anything negative about wearing that hat and it's just supporting the POTUS is complete ******** that anyone can see through in a heartbeat.

I think you're grasping at straws there.
Kind of like characterizing a guy softly hitting a drum and singing as walking up to everyone and beating a drum in their face? Tell me more.

And that's my point. Was I anything less than clear? You should hold one group above the other unless you have an agenda to fulfil. One group consists of kids who basically do nothing other than jump up and down.
They're making blatantly racist actions towards a Native American. Again, I get that you're trying your ******* damndest to minimize that but it's right there in the video. I saw you downplay it as "I've seen worse watching a Braves or Chiefs game". Which, again, fine. That's how you want to play it, play it that way but don't expect me to buy that same ******** excuse.

The other group consists of adults shouting racist, homophobic, violent taunts. In what clown world should these two groups be equally derided?
In my world. As I've said before now, a couple times. They're both doing deplorable, stupid, ignorant **** to each other. One is not better than the other. I get that to you they are because you've got an obvious bias in this.

No, I get it, you're not taking a side... when you should be.
No, I shouldn't. I don't need to. There is no benefit to me if I have to defend a groups actions. I don't agree with any of them.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 20th January 2019 at 11:28 AM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 11:27 AM   #123
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
There is absolutely nothing to excuse on behalf of the kids. Now an excuse should be made by Phillips for his blatant lying that may get children hurt or killed.

Oh come on. They reacted to a man walking, singing a song and banging a drum like he was approaching with a megaphone saying their school sucks and their father smelt of elderberries.

That...is problematic.

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Because I'm well aware that people are jerks, bigots, profit oriented, and/or suckers...

I'm not surprised that teenagers wearing MAGA hats are deplorable, with the caveat at the bottom.

I'm not surprised that the Native American guy provoked the confrontation, although I expect more from adults than teens.

I'm not surprised there are hateful religious fanatics like the "Black Israelites".

I expect better from the media. As the facts emerge, I expect the outlets that told a misleading story to correct the record / tell a fuller story. (I hope to have time later today to see which outlets did and didn't knee-jerk.)

I'm not surprised that people reacted to the crappy news coverage the way they did, what with people being suckers. I expect reasonable people to adjust to the facts as they emerge however.

I'm not surprised that the discussion here turns tribal. However, I don't think it's reasonable to use any of the actors here as representative.

I'm perpetually surprised that the President of the United States embodies a mind-boggling list of negative characteristics, any one of which should cause a rational, non-bigoted adult to recoil in disgust. It's appalling that the school would allow the teens to wear hate symbols on a school outing, but that's a sign of the topsy-turvy times we live in.

What about the fact that this was a school trip to a forced birth rally? How freaking weird is that?

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 11:29 AM   #124
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
What about the fact that this was a school trip to a forced birth rally? How freaking weird is that?
For a Catholic school in Kentucky? Not strange or weird at all.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 11:31 AM   #125
Matthew Best
Philosopher

What would Jesus have done?
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 11:31 AM   #126
The Big Dog

Resistance filth are doxxing 16 year olds on Twitter, not the actual hate group that kicked this whole thing off.

Race grifters do not recognize actual racism.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 11:36 AM   #127
The Big Dog

Race grifter and darling of the Resistance demands the kids' names.

May not be SFW

Absolute scum.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 11:38 AM   #128
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Been called a terrorist for being brown and a communist for what he preached. I mean,

"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled."

That's some hippy ****.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 11:40 AM   #129
The Big Dog

Members of the Resistance are openly doxxing the Covington kids, and offering free stuff to assault them.
Old 20th January 2019, 12:03 PM   #130
applecorped
Suspended

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
I'm not interested in your racial agenda or your white backlash chip on your shoulder. A school should not be bringing its pupils to a political rally, and the behaviour of the kids in that video shows a bunch of ignorant brats who have no respect for their elders.

Catholic schools demand better standards of behaviour than that where I come from, maybe the Bishop in charge of that diocese in Kentucky needs to sack a few people.

I'm not interested in your racial agenda
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 12:03 PM   #131
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Resistance filth are doxxing 16 year olds on Twitter, not the actual hate group that kicked this whole thing off.

Race grifters do not recognize actual racism.
David Hogg loves your hypocrisy.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 12:05 PM   #132
applecorped
Suspended

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
He enjoys yours as well I'm sure
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 12:07 PM   #133
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
He enjoys yours as well I'm sure
Tell me my stance psychic apple!
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 12:12 PM   #134
The Big Dog

David Hogg, the anti-violence advocate?

Ridiculous fraudulent accusation of hypocrisy. Pathetic
Old 20th January 2019, 12:24 PM   #135
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
If everyone who voted for Trump is an evil racist, then you have a lot of evil racists
Look there is nothing wrong with this, you certainly can't call harassing veterans deplorable! that is right out.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 12:31 PM   #136
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

When did TBD support doxxing David Hogg?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 12:33 PM   #137
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Look there is nothing wrong with this, you certainly can't call harassing veterans deplorable! that is right out.
No one was harassing a veteran.

The actual hate group was harassing the high school kids and now The Resistance is actively doxxing 16 year olds on Twitter because the Resistance swallowed the story fed to them by race grifters.
Old 20th January 2019, 12:39 PM   #138
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Completely avoided anyone wearing a MAGA hat? I would, but I don't think Jesus would; they're the ones who need him most.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 12:42 PM   #139
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Completely avoided anyone wearing a MAGA hat? I would, but I don't think Jesus would; they're the ones who need him most.
There's always MAGAJesus for them:

Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 12:50 PM   #140
The Big Dog

Pretty clear that The Resistance's entire story is a blatant lie:

And because the MSM bought the grift hook line and sinker, the kids are getting death threats

Big win for the actual hate group that started it all, tho.
Old 20th January 2019, 12:56 PM   #141
baron

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I won't speak on his behalf, as I don't know what his intentions were.
Then how can you say he's as bad as anybody else? You don't half talk some rot. First you claim each group is as bad as the next, then you admit you haven't a clue what their intentions were.

Just because you guys deny that there is anything negative about wearing that hat and it's just supporting the POTUS is complete ******** that anyone can see through in a heartbeat.
Suddenly, the man who's unable to assign motive to a guy he actually sees performing on video is an expert on the motives of tens of millions of hat-wearing people across the 52 states. When you're in a hole...

They're making blatantly racist actions towards a Native American. Again, I get that you're trying your ******* damndest to minimize that but it's right there in the video. I saw you downplay it as "I've seen worse watching a Braves or Chiefs game". Which, again, fine. That's how you want to play it, play it that way but don't expect me to buy that same ******** excuse.

In my world. As I've said before now, a couple times. They're both doing deplorable, stupid, ignorant **** to each other. One is not better than the other. I get that to you they are because you've got an obvious bias in this.
You equate the racism of a bunch of school kids reacting to provocation by doing a stupid dance to a group of adults shouting words like 'coon', 'cracker' and '******', deriding homosexuals as deviant sodomites and encouraging violence, then you have the globes to tell me that I'm biased?

No, I shouldn't. I don't need to. There is no benefit to me if I have to defend a groups actions. I don't agree with any of them.
Well I don't agree with calling people racist names and I also don't agree with gassing Jews, but at least I'm honest enough to distinguish between their severity.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 12:57 PM   #142
The Big Dog

Democrat John Yarmuth swallows the grift, wants to gut the First Amendment and prohibit people from wearing MAGA hats.

Typical totalitarianism and contempt for free speech from the idiot left.
Old 20th January 2019, 01:14 PM   #143
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Democrat John Yarmuth swallows the grift, wants to gut the First Amendment and prohibit people from wearing MAGA hats.

I do so hope you are exaggerating about John Yarmuth. Off to google.....
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 01:18 PM   #144
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Kathy Griffin is "The Resistance"?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 01:19 PM   #145
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I do so hope you are exaggerating about John Yarmuth. Off to google.....
Damn.

Originally Posted by John Yarmuth's Twitter Feed
I am calling for a total and complete shutdown of teenagers wearing MAGA hats until we can figure out what is going on. They seem to be poisoning young minds.

I fear for our country.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 01:27 PM   #146
applecorped
Suspended

Clothing is now triggering Libs?
Old 20th January 2019, 01:28 PM   #147
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Damn.

I fear for our country.

It's very divisive right now. That said, I suspect that.. certain.. people refuse to condemn the teens for their actions, and only point out how the leftists are doing all the damage.

That said, if people want to wear MAGA hats, let them. It lets me know who the idiots are.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 01:29 PM   #148
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Clothing is now triggering Libs?
Only fair. Native veterans are triggering right wingers.

Shalamar is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 01:29 PM   #149
applecorped
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post

That said, if people want to wear MAGA hats, let them. It lets me know who the idiots are.
well I guess it's true people are triggered by clothing. How sad.
Old 20th January 2019, 01:34 PM   #150
Stacyhs
Philosopher

This thread has been an interesting read. It exemplifies the extreme partisanship that this country is experiencing.

As an ex-teacher who has take many, many field trips with my students, I have to wonder about the school chaperones and their failure to control and direct their charges. The Black Israelites were despicable but the chaperones should have moved the students away from them and instructed them not to interact with or react to them. As the adults, they should have recognized a potentially explosive situation and avoided it. Teen boys are going to be teen boys: get a bunch of them together and they're going to feed off each other's stupidity and immaturity as the video shows they did.

If the chaperones had done their job responsibly, none of what ensued would have occurred.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 01:36 PM   #151
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Pretty clear that The Resistance's entire story is a blatant lie:

And because the MSM bought the grift hook line and sinker, the kids are getting death threats

Big win for the actual hate group that started it all, tho.

It is not clear at all that it is a "lie." I mean we do have video of Smarmy Smarmism staring down a man that is just trying to perform a song. You do accept that is real, right?

Oh my goodness. That is clearly a parody of Trump's call to stop immigration for Muslims.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 01:38 PM   #152
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

well I guess it's true people are triggered by clothing. How sad.
Nope. Not triggered at all. So sorry if I'm upsetting you.

Shall we ban native drummers just for you and your fellow MAGA wearing folk? Wouldn't want to hurt your feelings.

Old 20th January 2019, 01:38 PM   #153
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Damn.

I fear for our country.
He's satirizing Trump based on that quote.
Old 20th January 2019, 01:40 PM   #154
The Big Dog

It is not clear at all that it is a "lie." I mean we do have video of Smarmy Smarmism staring down a man that is just trying to perform a song. You do accept that is real, right?

Oh my goodness. That is clearly a parody of Trump's call to stop immigration for Muslims.
“Just trying to play a song.” Total lie. He also claimed he was surrounded and could not retreat. Liar.

The claim that the tweet from the frantic anti free speech democrat is parody is likelwise a total lie.

Although the suggestion that he is using a news report quoting the Native American as saying it was scary and racism, and accusing kids from his state of racism is just the sort of sick ******* twist a scumbag Congress critter like this democrat would think is funny.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 20th January 2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 20th January 2019, 01:44 PM   #155
applecorped
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
He's satirizing Trump based on that quote.
Please provide a quote from him saying that he was satirizing Trump if not you're completely making it up trying to excuse it.
Old 20th January 2019, 01:59 PM   #156
Minoosh
Philosopher

I can't get the audio on the tweet in the OP and really have no interest in looking at the longer version (at least right now). Watching that brief snippet without audio was interesting. My impression is that kid was nervous. The fixed grin looked like bravado to me, not contempt. I was kind of triggered by the body language all around. Not in a pro-Trump or anti-Trump way - more like general dismay at the high level of emotionalism I picked up on. IMO we need a way to pull back from the brink.

Last edited by Minoosh; 20th January 2019 at 02:01 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 01:59 PM   #157
baron

I mean we do have video of Smarmy Smarmism staring down a man that is just trying to perform a song. You do accept that is real, right?
Well that's it, then, end of thread. Any kid who dares to stare at an adult who walks over to them and starts banging a drum is clearly the most vile of racists.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 02:00 PM   #158
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

And the school appears to have responded...

"Kentucky Catholic high school is considering expelling students who were captured in viral videos taunting a Native American veteran on Friday.

In the videos, a large group of teenage boys – including several wearing Covington Catholic High School sweatshirts – are seen chanting and surrounding a small group of Native Americans, who were attending the Indigenous Peoples March in Washington, D.C. One of the boys, wearing a red “Make America Great Again” hat, smirks and stands close to an elderly Native American man, who was later identified as Vietnam veteran Nathan Phillips."

No investigation necessary, its obvious what they did. Expel all of them now!

The Catholic Church, and every donor should be reviewing or removing their funding from this school if they don't permanently expel all of the boys involved. This kind of behaviour is completely unacceptable - punishment needs to be swift and without mercy.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 02:01 PM   #159
baron

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I can't get the audio on the tweet in the OP and really have no interest in looking at the longer version (at least right now). Watching that brief snippet without audio was interesting. My impression is that kid was nervous. The fixed grin looked like bravado to me, not contempt. I was kind of triggered by the body language all around. Not in a pro-Trump or anti-Trump way - more like general dismay at the high level of emotionalism I read in the body language.
If you watch the rest of the video I'd submit that the restraint and good behaviour by the kids in the face of that constant barrage of aggressive, racist, homophobic abuse from the black preachers, or whatever they are, should be roundly commended. Certainly if someone spoke like that to me I'd do more than shrug or move away, I'd flatten them.
Old 20th January 2019, 02:02 PM   #160
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I can't get the audio on the tweet in the OP and really have no interest in looking at the longer version (at least right now). Watching that brief snippet without audio was interesting. My impression is that kid was nervous. The fixed grin looked like bravado to me, not contempt. I was kind of triggered by the body language all around. Not in a pro-Trump or anti-Trump way - more like general dismay at the high level of emotionalism I picked up on. IMO we need a way to pull back from the brink.
My impression of the 'fixed grin' was the same as yours: bravado.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics